• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Based on what we've seen so far, seems like Zain is ready to beat Mango and then lose to Hbox in the reset.

But my gut says Mango wins the whole thing from winners now.

Nice thing about this top 4 (and the top 6 after that Hax Leff set) is could see any of them beating any of the others.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That last stock by mango was so sick

Making things too hard, that was an easy laser fsmash but he didn't do it :\

That interaction from Zain on the ledge was insane, oh my god

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao Hax, that rest punish.

That drillshine usmash was so good

The fairs. Whaaat. Let's go Hax!

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was way closer than I expected it to be. And speaking of expectations I can't imagine Mango doing too great against Hbox today but maybe he'll surprise me.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Heartbreaker

Mango's recent record against hbox is pretty good though right? I think he won the last two times they played.
Yeah, but Hbox is warm against Fox after back to back sets with Fiction and Hax, and Mango isn't playing great today. Unless the Fox is looking better than the Falco I about wouldn't be surprised if it's a 3-0 for Hbox.

If Hbox wants to miss rests then that will sure help Mango.

What a baffling SD. Mango might have this after all.

Last edited:

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Genesis always goes to the fresh come up recently. First Plup, now the brown GOD. Good shit Zain!

emb

Oct 28, 2017
That second set was amazing. Even when he winning, Hbox looked like an underdog. Zain looked like he was in control almost the whole time.

Great to see the new champ.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Hbox's plan against Fox is too good. They always get hot, they always overcommit, they always burn out.

Sword guy tho

Congrats to Zain, he's awesome.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
IS IT TIME

FOR ANOTHER MARTH TO DRIVE OUR GAME FORWARD

FOR ANOTHER MARTH TO RULE THE META

KEN

MEW2KING

ZAIN???

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff from Hugs about Nintendo preventing Melee circuits from Twitch/Redbull/ESL is depressing (he talks about it here for like 10 minutes, if you aren't aware)

Thing is, it's pretty clear he isn't bullshitting because there have been so many little teases and comments about big things for Melee from community figureheads, but they never actually happened. I know Scar brought it up at least a couple times, I think Blur did at least once, apparently Mango had said something about it at some point. And now a lot of people from secondary sponsorship orgs and some TOs are chiming in basically saying yeah, Nintendo blocked stuff and it sucks. Keitaro mentioned on Reddit it's not even limited to Melee, Smash 4 has had a major sponsorship project blocked and Ultimate has had at least a couple.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Coming from the PM/modding community I just always nothing or worse from Nintendo here.

I know that they didn't have a hand in getting the mod shut down but I do believe that the people on the inside of twitch snuffed out its viewership by making it unstresmable for streamers with a subscribe button and going as far as making 'pm' a blacklisted word on stream so they could stay in good graces with Nintendo for melee, smash 4 and ultimate.

This 'big things for melee' thing that isnt happening is presumably what would've been the reward for staying in good graces/killing pm that I had been hearing from people like d1 and gimr. Nothing against those guys at all either, I understand their positions.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Professor Pro has some beautiful Fox play going on right now at Saving Mr Lombardi.

Just beat Faceroll 3-1. Games 2 and 3 were clinics.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This peach ditto between Trif and Kalamazhu is kind of wild in its own weird way

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was an oddly fun set. Might be the most enjoyable floaty ditto I've ever watched.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the same thing. For whatever reason the flow of movement just looked really appealing.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
We'll never see the return of Big House 4 Lucky at this rate :/
I feel like Lucky has a nasty combination of not having a strong mentality against higher ranked players and being inconsistent against top 100-caliber players. So he doesn't manage upsets against top ranked players despite his high peaks, and his lack of consistency against others results in it feeling like he gets upset often.

I don't know if I'm just more used to Slime or if he's improved on the mic. And Mist really does sound like Plup, I thought it was him at first lol.

That was the second biggest destruction of ICs I've seen, with only Hax destroying Nintendude being above it.

Trif is clearly not well versed in the ICs matchup.

So Mango is like a block away from the tournament and commentators (Vish and Chillin) legit left to go pick him up. Lmao.

Last edited:

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's just so clear Nintendo doesn't want a hardcore competitive community around their games, just imagine where Melee would be with dev support, it could've been a breakthrough for the entire FGC. Their 'sponsored' deals with stuff like Genesis is laughable to say the least.

Anyways, here's the Summit schedule. Hyped for Pricent making it in.

I wanted another Mango Axe live :(

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Nintendo actually supported the scene none of it would be going to Melee.

It is funny how Ultimate also gets basically nothing too though.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Melee would be in an incredible place with just "passive" support. Like not preventing other companies from running big money Smash events.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
1tAz4fn.jpg

It begins tomorrow
Don't miss out on Leffen washing a dog

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who somehow hasn't seen it already via the youtube algorithm:

Great video recapping basically the entire history of Melee and how important Hbox's presence has been. I strongly believe having a "villain" in any scene is super important, and helps keep things fresh. Hbox pushes the top players harder than anyone else. I appreciate him so much and have a ton of respect for this dude continuing to grind it out tournament after tournament with minimal/no crowd support just because of the character he plays.

I can never hate on anyone who takes a game as wonderful as Melee seriously, much less someone like Hbox who has mastered it to such a degree. Mad respect.

Mango finally getting over his slump or Zain finally winning the big one means so much more when it means beating the absolute brick wall that is Hungry Motherfucking Box.