• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Stick lives. Minor update was posted on the SSBM reddit, and the website was updated including a countdown. Seems like it coincides with CEO2018.

Nobody watching CEO? Gahtzu with the monstrous choke.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yaaaaaaay another sakurai on melee quote

dude's a clown and clearly has some kind of twisted disdain towards melee if he's going as far as bringing up TENDINITIS to prove once and for all that the game is too technical for casuals.

the best selling game for nintendo's purple children's video game console: SO HARDCORE AND TECHNICAL IT CAUSES INJURY

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I thought his take on Melee this time was better than usual.

For the injury bit, I have seen a some players affected by injury, a few hgh profile, a few local. Some quit, some take breaks, some show up wearing wrist braces. I've seen doctors at Smash tournaments doing panels on how to keep your hands healthy. Most of it is just from playing Smash/video games constantly in general, but I do feel like it would be less prevalent if we didn't have to press R every time we touch the ground, or constantly make that pinching wavedash motion.

I also think 5 does look good in that regard. Lower landing lag without input, options out of dash so we don't have to do anything weird to get that. Still looks like it has too much Smash 4 in there to have a great combo flow... but I'm eager to try it anyway.

As for the 'quitting because it's too technical thing', imo he's overstating it. Yeah, that does happen, but it probably happens way less than people giving up because they're salty about skill gaps. You can't get rid of skill gaps without punishing those who do want to learn. Also, it feels way scarier in Brawl and 4 than Melee/PM. At least in the latter I can lean on johning about tech skill more.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Typical discussion of Melee, a lot of reaching and a lot of misinformation. TIL wavedashing is invincible and proper matchmaking isn't possible in a Smash game.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
"What did Melee do for the franchise?"

"Why make a game to appeal to the 1% when you can make a game that appeals to the 99%."

"Considering wavedashing requires defective controllers and has been giving players hand injuries, I doubt they'll ever bring it back. "

giphy.gif

friends... I miss when the argument was "tiers don't exist" and "lol no items fox only final destination"

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
The misinformation in the recent thread hurts, it really does. Now even short hops are exploits, apparently. *sigh*

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So is anyone else planning to get a Smash Stick? Estimated price of $250 is a lot but with months to save, it isn't too bad assuming the quality is there. As far as I know that's in the upper range of high end fight sticks, and this one inherently has some more expensive custom stuff.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
So is anyone else planning to get a Smash Stick? Estimated price of $250 is a lot but with months to save, it isn't too bad assuming the quality is there. As far as I know that's in the upper range of high end fight sticks, and this one inherently has some more expensive custom stuff.
I might. Looks like it'd be fun to try out. Just depends on how money is at the time for me. I've had a good time trying out Smashbox, but the stick looks like a nicer middle ground that I'd be more likely to stick with.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'd do better in the long run if I just converted to a Box or Stick, but I find the idea super intimidating. I feel like my brain would explode trying to rewire everything.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't do all the modifiers on the fully digital controllers. I really liked the idea apart from that, so now that we are getting an option with analog movement I'm on board. I expect it to take some effort to get used to, but some of the CEO impressions are positive in that regard. Wish I could find some independent impressions and not just ones shared by the creators though.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
The digital modifiers make it super confusing to do the simplest things, but it's nice to get perfectly consistent shield drops and long wavedashes so free. It kinda feels like cheating tbh, just not enough to ever matter, plus offset by other things. I'll miss those aspects when I'm back to a real analog controller.

Having an analog stick just feels too natural though. Let's me use years of experience, even if some things are less perfect. Plus, an arcade controller with a stick instead of button would be more portable. If I need to do some really specific angle with a GCN controller in some other game, maybe Ultimate, then having an analog stick would give me all the normal flexibility.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i'm going grey reading that thread on gaming side. i can't bring myself to engage at this point... it's like arguing with a wall.

just move on guys, like the third strike players all did. STOP PLAYING WHAT YOU LIKE

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
i'm going grey reading that thread on gaming side. i can't bring myself to engage at this point... it's like arguing with a wall.

just move on guys, like the third strike players all did. STOP PLAYING WHAT YOU LIKE
Why the hell are you still playing chess? MOVE ON TO CHECKERS ALREADY!!1

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
About time. 0-5 doesn't really tell the story of how their sets have gone this year, they have been really even. Leffen was looking pretty clean, will be tough for Armada or Hbox to get two sets of him if he's still warm in grands.

LMAO I knew exactly what was coming with that Ness up-b when he turned it back toward the stage.

Last edited:

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Leffen ran out of gas a bit there

Those last 3 sets were pretty great, though it seemed like Armada didn't have his A game (and inadvertently got Hbox going)

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hbox played spacies at a local and managed to injure his hand.

Wonder if he still wins EVO?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Rishi over M2K.

Strong bounce backs in game 2 and 3.

Swedish Delight over Armada. No words for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I made that exact read while watching. I'd have completely flubbed the execution though lol.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Swedish over Armada is huge. Glad I was watching when it happened.

Didn't feel possible until it was set it in stone. So many sets (most of them mentioned in the commentary), I've seen Armada go down in game count, to last stock, whatever, and he'd almost always bring it back. Props to Swedish.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Armada looks more human than ever today.

Scar/Fendy civil war thing is super degenerate. But also super grassroots. Fun stream.

I guess between the talk during the Evo stream and this I'm convinced to set up the UnclePunch thing.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I love how all year the melee community has to get shit about not moving on and being its own separate thing

But then smash 4 grand finals is a debacle and suddenly it's "the smash community" as a whole that are immature. Literally seeing evo memes already with both smash 4 and melee mentioned in the same breathe

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Melee top 8 looks like it should be great at least, assuming it goes well maybe that will help. Smash 4 hasn't been healthy for months, the scene needs Ultimate badly, hopefully with appropriate improvements so it isn't just a continuation of the Bayo-meta.

I'll have to catch the vod this afternoon though.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So.. Leffen taunted right after getting the last uair on armada to win evo. lmao
Frame perfect taunt into popoff

Last edited:

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Top 8 was a really good time. It hurt seeing Mango so sloppy, and seeing Plup lose, and I wish GFs would have been closer. But the bracket played out in a really fun way. Great to see Leffen win an Evo.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Leffen was playing like a man possessed, and everyone else looked a little off. Especially Armada, he kept it together enough to get to grands through losers but he just never really looked like his usual unstoppable self.

Apparently Plup had a panic attack or something.

Hope Melee gets a better timeslot next year. Surely it will be back after setting a record with nearly 200k viewers in the 10:30 AM slot.

Oh god, me in a nutshell. Lmao.

Edit: And tonight before bed. Dash attack was a mistake, then I Falcon'd it.

Last edited:

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smashcon turned to shit real quick. Leffen got sick and DQed. Plup DQed. Mang0 lost to an ICs and then DQed. Wizzy dropping out to focus on 64.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeeeez

I saw m2k win the best overall smash tournament last night. Dude even won his smash 4 games lol

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With Armada, Hbox, and M2K still in it doesn't seem free for anyone at least.

Inspired by that GC controller thread, I'm kind of curious what people in here think about it. Do you think the face button layout is inherently better than the diamond layout for Smash? Or even just for Melee specifically?

Personally I don't really think so. Primarily because the jump buttons are so far away from the c-stick and to a lesser extent, the B button.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i find sliding from Y to A way more comfy if i'm using the button for an aerial than a diamond layout alternative, at least.

i think i struggle with "jump button into c-stick aerials" more from the overall pattern of the movement than the raw distance. the only one that feels natural is tap the jump button then fling my thumb down rapidly to hit a dair. i'm pretty sure up, left, and right on the c-stick would still feel weird for me post-jump-button even if i tried out custom controls a la smash 4 and moved jump to b.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I love Zain, lmao.

Speech for winning most improved Melee player: "Melee's sick."

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mang0 dropping out was lame

Leffen literally drank too much for winning a Bo3 tournament and got sick

Plup :(

Really wanted Smashcon to be the big tournament of the month since Evo is mainly for the spectacle. Oh well Big House should be lit.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
WHOEVER THE FUCK SAID THAT SET IN FLORIDA WAS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME

YOU WERE SADLY MISTAKEN