• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Not how I wanted it to end but what a legendary series of matches. We watched those two evolve in real time.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
that legit may have been the best grand finals of the decade

back and forth for 10 games

reminded me of the ken vs pc chris sets from the mlg days

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Great grand finals

this community is still fucking garbage trash tho

https://www.resetera.com/threads/hungrybox-and-the-toxic-super-smash-brothers-melee-community.61626/

edit: To clarify mean Melee community as a whole, not this thread. Y'all are great
There may be lots of reasons to not like the guy, idk, but the way many spectators and players have latched on to Hbox hate has been pretty brutal for as long as I have played/watched. It's gone beyond anything he could have done wrong. The culture of "anti-Hbox" has been set for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I couldn't watch top 4 because it was already 2:30am :|
I hope the VODs go up soon. I love to watch M2K, he's easily my favorite player.

Oct 25, 2017
Great grand finals

this community is still fucking garbage trash tho

https://www.resetera.com/threads/hungrybox-and-the-toxic-super-smash-brothers-melee-community.61626/

edit: To clarify mean Melee community as a whole, not this thread. Y'all are great
Frankly I think opening that thread just opened up a new venue for people who don't play/watch the game at all to jump in with hot takes about how Melee needs to die and the community is the worst thing ever

emb

Oct 28, 2017
And I thought SSC would be boring after so many big names dropped out. Go M2K! Really put on a good show.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Seeing M2K pumped up and styling is one of the most singularly joyful experiences in the entire scene. Armada winning was still well deserved -- the dude played out of his mind -- but M2K was the highlight of the tournament for sure.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Practicing waveshine because I actually suck horribly at it.

Managed to do this. It's way harder than it seems like it should be.

Is that something people actually do? I don't know if that's worth trying to learn to do consistently. Probably more useful (and more difficult) with Fox.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Practicing waveshine because I actually suck horribly at it.

Managed to do this. It's way harder than it seems like it should be.

Is that something people actually do? I don't know if that's worth trying to learn to do consistently. Probably more useful (and more difficult) with Fox.

that is like armada's go-to move when he's doing hand warmers lol

always good to have perfect control over your shine/jumping/platform movement

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
that is like armada's go-to move when he's doing hand warmers lol

always good to have perfect control over your shine/jumping/platform movement

So maybe eventually then, lol. I guess the trick is just the waveland timing, without jumpsquat on the doublejump you need to do jump->airdodge on consecutive frames. Conflicts with muscle memory.

Yeah, it's hard, but doable. Just have to get the muscle memory down tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I visited GamesCom today and they always have the retro area. This year there were 2 GamesCubes hooked up and obviously both running Melee, I played a good chunk of friendlies with strangers. I love Melee <3

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Shine Top 8 has been a God damn show. Not a dull set.

Also S2J ruthless. He can edge guard PS2 glitch but can't follow through under normal circumstances.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Zain wins the whole thing, but can't help but think that he needs to avoid the rematch with hbox for that to happen

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I hate that people will take Hbox beating Mang0's Falco as evidence that the matchup is skewed in that direction when mang0 is obviously not using some of Falco's strongest tools.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That recovery by Zain was nuuuuts. You know which one.

But the meta is stale. The same players win every major. Oops.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
AMAZING PLAY FROM ZAIN JESUS CHRIST

#7 in the world with that. easy. if he can keep this pace up he'll be top 5.

remember this top 8 friends, this will be one to point to when the trolls claim "it's the same 5 players winning over and over again". of course, they will ignore it and continue to troll the game they know nothing about.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AMAZING PLAY FROM ZAIN JESUS CHRIST

#7 in the world with that. easy. if he can keep this pace up he'll be top 5.

remember this top 8 friends, this will be one to point to when the trolls claim "it's the same 5 players winning over and over again". of course, they will ignore it and continue to troll the game they know nothing about.

This will be an easy top 8 to remember. Aside from Hbox Gahtzu and to a lesser extent Hbox Mango, this entire top 8 was one of the best I've watched.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
zain started playing competitively in may 2014. christ. dude is a prodigy.

calling it now: someone will get exposed to melee thanks to smash ultimate and win a national in 2022

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Melee is insane right now. A doc kid winning a major and different winners for like the last 7 majors is crazy.

I know Ultimate should be the next Main Smash game at EVO next year, but the hype in the scene is just next level right now. I hope Mr Wizard sees that.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried any trigger mods? Going to try some plugs. Probably results in less strain on the index finger and hopefully will make some things more consistent. I think my biggest problem with missing some wavedashes (especially during waveshines) is that I just don't get the trigger pressed down all the way. I think a shorter travel distance could do a lot.

Don't want to eliminate travel though, I use L for everything so I'd like to have lightshield available, and I need the slightly-less-than-full press for wavedash out of shield.

A waste, since I plan to eventually get a stick? Eh, maybe.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i'm going to get a chance to play ultimate on friday. gonna try marth and sheik since they probably play the most like their melee counterparts. brawl and beyond fox is a fucking impostor wearing clown shoes.

also it really seems like they reduced landing lag on aerials a SHITLOAD and that was my #1 problem with smash 4 marth so lets see if he gets some of that melee feeling back. i'm still worried about the balloon knockback though, seems like a textbook """sakurai solution""" to weaker players getting comboed

Melee is insane right now. A doc kid winning a major and different winners for like the last 7 majors is crazy.

I know Ultimate should be the next Main Smash game at EVO next year, but the hype in the scene is just next level right now. I hope Mr Wizard sees that.

for real. we all know melee has the viewership and playerbase to remain at evo for the forseeable future... if he's really pissed about the CRTs then we have a solution for that too:

if it's the horse shit "we don't want TWO smash bros games at evo!!!" reasoning then there's probably nothing we can really do at that point. just keep having nationals with bigger turnouts than half of the games at evo get. oh well.

Anyone tried any trigger mods? Going to try some plugs. Probably results in less strain on the index finger and hopefully will make some things more consistent. I think my biggest problem with missing some wavedashes (especially during waveshines) is that I just don't get the trigger pressed down all the way. I think a shorter travel distance could do a lot.

Don't want to eliminate travel though, I use L for everything so I'd like to have lightshield available, and I need the slightly-less-than-full press for wavedash out of shield.

A waste, since I plan to eventually get a stick? Eh, maybe.

I want to mod my controller, but then I see the price and I remember "wait... I'm still ASS with my regular controller so would I really see much of a difference?" and stop myself lol

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I want to mod my controller, but then I see the price and I remember "wait... I'm still ASS with my regular controller so would I really see much of a difference?" and stop myself lol

At least plugs are cheap, I paid $8 with almost half that being shipping. I was waffling on them until I realized I had a little money just sitting in my paypal account. Not worth getting someone else to do it either since it's a really easy mod that just involves jamming a piece of plastic/rubber in the trigger. I suppose I could have gotten them even cheaper and avoided the shipping cost by just 3D printing some at the library, but I didn't consider that option at the time so I guess I spent some extra on convenience. (Edit: Actually the library minimum fee might have been more than cost of the plugs).

But yeah, most mods are expensive and I don't see a point in someone like me getting them. But I think this has a good chance at helping with both my trigger-related issues.

Edit: Since my L trigger sticks some, especially when I hit the back of it, I guess it might also be worth looking into lubing it. Kadano recommended rubbing it with condom, lmao. (Ordered some silicone-based maru lube for $2. Will see how that goes)

Edit: Two in a row! For being frame perfect, this isn't near as hard as I thought it was (still not something I can do consistently). Of course it would have been better if I actually l-canceled them.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i played a couple games of ultimate

It feels a lot like smash 4. Shocking i know.

Not for me...

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachus nair is crazy now

Well it looks crazy at least

Sheik felt pretty ok compared to melee. Better than smash 4 and brawl imo

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I played Pikachu in both my matches at PAX today. The new nair is really good. The new pivot-like ground movement feels a lot sharper than 4. Shield and rolling feels worse which is good.

It's still based on the bones of smash 4, but I thought it felt a bit better in my short time with it. Having a variety of options on the ground (finally) feels good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
All plugged up.

AJMaGNfl.jpg

I'm disappointed though - opened up an old controller and found that it didn't have the metal rods, was going to transplant one. After I had the controllers reassembled I realized I probably could have just transplanted the entire trigger mechanism since that controller has smoother triggers. But I've got some lubricant on the way so I'm not going to bother (maybe).

First impressions are positive. Need a little time to get used to the difference, since the timing is a little different with the shorter travel distance. A bit under an hour of using it and I already feel roughly as consistent as I was with wavedashes, and already more consistent with waveshines. Should just get better from here.

Perhaps more importantly, I don't have any soreness in my index finger. Normally if I try to play for 45 minutes or so my index finger would get sore when I stopped playing. Nothing today.

My thumb hates doing these so much. This is the best I managed so far. First two drillshines didn't count in the combo counter but I think they were good enough.

I assume what's happening with my thumb is normal, basically it freezes up sometimes while doing fast, precise movements. It used to happen more often while playing but it's a lot less frequent now, so maybe it's just something I need to keep working at to get rid of. Drillshines are a good way to get that issue to act up, perhaps because it's so fast, precise, and repetitive, so it seems like a good exercise. Plus it's good for getting better at shorthops with Fox because I still suck at those (I don't even play Fox but it would be nice to be able to do them well with him anyway).

Last edited: