• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The four port arduino device is being manufactured to be used at Big House 8, and subsequently rented out to other majors.

For those not in the know, they basically allow UCF on vanilla Melee so it's possible to use it even at Nintendo sponsored events. They also enable and disable UCF per-port, so the weirdos like N0ne can choose to disable it if they want while their opponent can have it enabled.

But... since they need to cover the cost to have the initial batch made, it's a compendium goal.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
That sounds like a really cool solution. Once it's battle tested and mature, should make everyone happy.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I'm aware of n0ne, DJNintendo, and I think Armada not being fans of UCF. I wonder how many others there are but just haven't got around to mentioning it. I think that thing is cool if it works

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Armada is a big fan of UCF and thinks it's outright dumb that it isn't standardized. He's criticized both Nintendo and TO's accepting their sponsorships over the matter.

And those devices are already tested, the article I linked mentions that a handful were manufactured for testing already and have been used at some locals and such.

I just learned Reggie answered a question about UCF a few months ago. His response is so off-point it's embarrassing.
So, that's our hope, but specifically why no modifications? We believe that fundamentally enabling modification starts putting the play at risk of any type of unfair advantage. The tournament space is like UCF, and tournaments that are not partnered with Nintendo do enable UCF as standard. If good tournament organizers can ensure no foul play with UCF, would that be something Nintendo could be open to? Look, I'd never say never. But certainly, again, our mentality is, we want there to be an even playing field. We want there to be consistency. Those are the things that we work with the Evos of the world, and the other tournament organizers. I get asked constantly, what's Nintendo's approach to the esports community. And our approach is we want to enable consistent standards. We want to enable an approach to the competition that's fair, that's balanced, that enables the players to showcase their skills. And therefore, that's why we work with the Evos. That's why we put on our own tournaments. That's our guiding principle. And that's why, to your question about the controller mod, that's why today we're not supportive of that.

tl;dr, I don't know what UCF is, but it's probably unfair so we don't like it.

Last edited:

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Armada announced he is quitting singles. Won't leave the community but will still play dubs and hopes to do some commentary as well. In his video he talks about becoming the best and then becoming the best of all time. He acheived his goals and has reached the peak.

Honestly seems like a positive change for him. End of an era for sure, but it's good to make decisions to make sure you don't hate your life.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Murky waters ahead for Melee. Mango probably isn't too far behind, and with Ultimate coming soon M2K is probably going to focus on that. I wouldn't be too surprised if Leffen follows, if both Armada and Mango are out.

The community is undeniably tied to the personalities at the top. This would be an ideal time for PPMD to make his come back. Else we have the question of whether Hbox and the rising stars can carry the community.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Murky waters ahead for Melee. Mango probably isn't too far behind, and with Ultimate coming soon M2K is probably going to focus on that. I wouldn't be too surprised if Leffen follows, if both Armada and Mango are out.

The community is undeniably tied to the personalities at the top. This would be an ideal time for PPMD to make his come back. Else we have the question of whether Hbox and the rising stars can carry the community.

I feel like the narrative might actually get more interesting this way, and might pull some new people in. The newcomers finally trying to topple the last remaining old gods is a pretty hype storyline. Plus, it helps delegitimize the people that hate melee because "the same 5 people always win everything". Obviously was never 100% true, but still.

I know I'm excited at least for a new era -- as long as people are playing, I'll be watching like I have been for the last 7ish years.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
No one is retiring

There's too much money in streaming/youtube to just abandon the game you are top 5 in. Especially mango aka mr. 5k

Breaks are another story. Breaks are fine, that's armada right now. He'll have that melee itch back in 6 months max

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mango's streaming is bigger than his Melee these days. That's why he barely goes to tournaments anymore, he loses subscribers when he goes days without streaming and has to "recover" from tournaments. I think he already considers himself semi-retired. I guess we'll see with Armada though.

I'd still be interested regardless, but the end of the old narratives could definitely cause viewership to take a hit.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think armada will be back playing singles for a year or two, maybe ever. He pushed through burn out pretty hard, and came out of it at the end deciding that retirement from top-level competition was the right choice for him. I think if you make light of that decision you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

(note: I don't consider, for example, wobbles 'back' just because he entered Evo as a one-off. I could see armada doing something like that in a few years)

This year definitely feels like the end of an era for sure, but tbh I think melee is in a great place right now even without the goat.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, Melee officially begins its final journey towards death today, huh?

Don't realistically see how this doesn't become a domino type of thing.

It's funny how similar Melee is to men's tennis today. Always has had a problem of too heavy consolidation at the top.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
So, uh, Melee officially begins its final journey towards death today, huh?

Don't realistically see how this doesn't become a domino type of thing.

It's funny how similar Melee is to men's tennis today. Always has had a problem of too heavy consolidation at the top.

I'm going to keep playing lol.

I dunno, I'm kinda hyped to see players like Wizzy/Zain/Plup fighting in Grand Finals more often.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Sad to hear, losing any of the top players hurts the game. He's definitely one of the best players the game has ever seen. I loved seeing the perseverance and dedication during his first several trips to America, up until he finally won one.

Watching Melee in the future, it'll be rough not to have that tension every time someone does well against him. And no one will have that chance to prove themselves there, to cement themself at the top like Plup and Leffen did. For a long time there will be that little doubt, maybe they can beat everyone else, but they'd lose to Armada.

Not entirely surprising though. He talked about feeling less motivated recently.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's a bummer. I'm inclined to agree with Anth0ny though. No one really quits Melee, and Armada is still gonna be around. Hell, I still think PP is gonna be back some day.

It's sorta scary though. We've been graced with not only one of the best game of all time, but also the best narrative in esports. Anyone complaining about the same 6 people winning, haven't been watching the game. Melee owes a lot to that dominance. Six incredibly strong, distinct personalities that just blew up the meta year after year to beat each other, keeping the game fresh, keeping it entertaining. Realistically, Melee survives Armada retiring, but I'm not sure viewership remains at this level without some strong personalities and an interesting narrative replacing the ones that we might lose in the future.

On the other hand, the game didn't die with Ken's retirement, so hopefully the next chapter in Melee is just as cool as the ones before it.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Axe with a bit of trolling following Armada's retirement.

And Summit controversy. With Armada's sudden retirement, AmsA would have been the next in line to receive an invite. But the Summit team has decided to only invite 7 players instead of bumping another player up to fill the last invite slot, despite not doing that in the past. People are upset because they think the only reason it was done is because the Summit team knows AmsA will bring in a lot of money campaigning, and he's the most expensive person to fly in.

BTS running ROHG even just an hour earlier would have been a lot more considerate for people not on the west coast. Tournament starts at 3PM and top 8 at 11PM for the east coast.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
does anyone know who came up with the idea to roast Hugo? because it makes total sense with all the self-deprecation in his personal brand so I'm wondering if he proposed it himself or if BtS noticed the perfect fit.

i'm surprised that none of the jokes i heard poked at the self-deprecation angle, now that I think about it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Gonna have to catch the Roast on VOD. This weekend has been super busy, hoping to blitz through it during the work week.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hugo, Ludwig, and Vish totally nailed it. Chillin was good too but not quite as consistent. Tafo had some good jokes but the delivery just wasn't there. And Dunk, well, he tried.

I barely caught any of the tournament though.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who Dunk is, but I know who Tafo is and I have no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea to give him a platform to tell jokes.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He's been doing good recently. Wish i was home to watch. Should catch top 8 at least.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What is this rerun. No game, just a camera on Ludwig and Slime doing commentary lmao

So Axe and Absentpage are set up against opponents they are highly unlikely to beat. Bananas is almost certainly getting into Summit and Axe and Absentpage will have a play-in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AP didn't look too bad game 1, dropped two key edgeguards though.

Still dropping edgeguards games 2.

That stock from Axe was sick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mango was looking sick, did some wonky stuff but Leffen was just too shook to take advantage.

There is some sort of twisted irony in Hax using F-Zero GX music for the B0XX trailer.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Plup playing out of his mind.

Leffen with a minor meltdown (well, by his standards) after losing, but while he played bad, I'm not sure if it really mattered

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the laugher that was game 2 Plup at least appears to be doing better against Hbox than Mang0 did.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hbox got his super major win. Probably solidifies him as #1 for the year.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
HBox was playing really well today, but it also helps that he avoided Leffen and Zain and got an ICs bracket.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Script is obviously scripted! A Falcon-centric tournament sees a double-Falcon team win doubles and now winners finals is n0ne and Wizzy.