• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Mang0's been talking about how he's been actually putting in work to get better at Melee and it's showing. Even if Mang0 never gets better at the Puff matchup, the increase in the number of players that pose a threat to HBox boosts his chances. Duck, aMSa, Wizzy, Zain, Leffen, Plup have all shown that they can do it.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Great reverse 3-0 for Westballz over Duck. Set started off looking impossible for him, and by the end he was all over Duck.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wes just clutching it against these floaties.

Clean shaven SFAT looks weird.

That combo on n0ne. Westballz does not want to be denied that summit spot.

SFAT vs n0ne for summit.

Mang0 passed out on the floor, lmao

Watched a Hugs stream for the first time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That Ludwig piece was great. Nailed the lawyer commercial vibe. (This is still my favorite though)

I wonder why Axe doesn't try Falco against Amsa if he tried YL. I guess it might not work as well in reality as in theory.

Yeah that Amsa Axe set is one of the best this year for sure.

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Mang0-Leffen is so consistently fun to watch. Might be my favorite head to head of all time.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Feels so weird to feel close to zero hype for a new smash bros. I watched some footage from that single player mode and... it looks so bad lol. So bizarre that they had the perfect foundation with Melee adventure mode and decided to fuck it up 4 times in a row with the next 4 games.

These smash games just continue to stray further from god's light

And when I say god's light, I mean super smash brothers melee for the nintendo gamecube.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Stick crowdfunding starts this week. I'd like to win one from the giveaway but with something like a 3/1000 chance it's probably not happening. Ready to buy it at least thanks to the advance notice.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of that thread about Smash 6 having a smaller roster is the people saying they'll keep playing Ultimate.

Hope they enjoy being branded as toxic elitists for playing a game they like .

Oct 25, 2017
Feels so weird to feel close to zero hype for a new smash bros. I watched some footage from that single player mode and... it looks so bad lol. So bizarre that they had the perfect foundation with Melee adventure mode and decided to fuck it up 4 times in a row with the next 4 games.

These smash games just continue to stray further from god's light

And when I say god's light, I mean super smash brothers melee for the nintendo gamecube.
I didn't really like Brawl, but the Subspace emissary was pretty cool single player content, to claim that they've fucked this up in the following 4 games, seems strange to me.

My Ultimate hype is through the roof, I don't really care for the single player stuff, I'll play it, but I'm mainly interested in the competitive side.
So I'm more than happy with the QoL changes (hazard toggle!!!), improved balancing, new and old characters and stages, improved online play, etc.
I think they've found a good balance of speed between Melee and Smash 4, it could be it bit more Melee for my taste, but it's fine.
Also I love the first few weeks/months where everyone comes together to play the new Smash (even my friends that normally don't play Smash).

On the other side I'm really fed up with all the character speculation and people who are mad that their character didn't make the cut.

At the end, if it sucks we can always go back to Melee :)

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I pushed myself to beat Subspace Emissary and never wanted to touch it again. It probably goes without saying I have no interest whatsoever in this World of Light thing.

Buuuut now that I think about it I wonder how much my disdain of Subspace comes from Brawls shitty feeling gameplay. Could be a lot better with Project M despite the issues it introduces, but it's probably not worth the time.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I liked having a long form single player story mode in SSE, but I didn't feel like the mechanics meshed well with Smash. Fighting the monsters and navigating the levels, not that fun. Is WoL just spirit battles? That seems cool, kinda like events.

I'm always excited for new Smash. After 3 though, I've learned not to expect my Melee life to change much. I'll play a bunch in months around launch, enter events if they're close/sharing a venue with Melee, but probably not games I'll continually play for the next 20 years.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
my melee friend got his hands on ultimate, he tells me it plays a lot more like melee compared to 4. that bootleg melee air dodge makes a difference, way less lag on aerials, wider window for dash dancing, big focus on foxtrotting and pivots

but... it's still not melee

and the single player is booty

Oct 25, 2017
World of Light isn't Subspace by any means but that's party why I have no interest. Subspace at least had the cutscenes, WoL has... an intro cutscene and a whole bunch of nothing afterwards. Don't care about stickers. I think Classic mode looks really fun though.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds really good. Wish I could afford. Might chip in just to help, seems like it still has a good ways to go until funding.

A ways to go, but not in bad shape. It's been up about 10 hours and is at 20% funded now, could hit 25-30% in the first 24 hours. First and last day are the biggest ones for Kickstarter, and apparently nearly 80% of projects that reach 20% of their goal at any point end up succeeding. Good odds!
I've also never backed a Kickstarter/IGG project that did not reach its funding goal, and I'm at nearly 30 backed projects.

The PC support is pretty new and looks nice. Should be fully compatible with any traditional fighting game on PC, so it's it isn't locked into Smash. Probably why every single backer so far has gotten a reward with the PC+N64 cables and not just the GC input option. Other console support seems unlikely, could require licensing.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
my melee friend got his hands on ultimate, he tells me it plays a lot more like melee compared to 4. that bootleg melee air dodge makes a difference, way less lag on aerials, wider window for dash dancing, big focus on foxtrotting and pivots

but... it's still not melee

and the single player is booty
Yeah I can imagine being able to waveland and have pivot/wavedash-like options out of a grounded run make the game feel a lot snappier and precise. Hopefully I can actually learn to play and land punishes more consistently. The movement in 4 was just so brutal I couldn't handle it after a couple months.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can imagine being able to waveland and have pivot/wavedash-like options out of a grounded run make the game feel a lot snappier and precise. Hopefully I can actually learn to play and land punishes more consistent. The movement in 4 was just so brutal I couldn't handle it after a couple months.

yeah in the end I really enjoyed brawl a lot more than 4. the movement in that game just sucked.

everyone has a 3 frame jumpsquat now, too. that's a major factor contributing to the game feeling faster. I like scrolling through the changes listed on smash wiki, and with the exception of cloud and bayo, most of the changes for characters are "does x quicker" or "y has less endlag"

they just continue to take steps closer and closer to the melee engine/feel with every new game. it's really funny to watch people shit on melee and then proceed to praise all of these AMAZING CHANGES.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
yeah in the end I really enjoyed brawl a lot more than 4. the movement in that game just sucked.

everyone has a 3 frame jumpsquat now, too. that's a major factor contributing to the game feeling faster. I like scrolling through the changes listed on smash wiki, and with the exception of cloud and bayo, most of the changes for characters are "does x quicker" or "y has less endlag"

they just continue to take steps closer and closer to the melee engine/feel with every new game. it's really funny to watch people shit on melee and then proceed to praise all of these AMAZING CHANGES.
I was thinking the same thing. Almost all of the changes to smash since brawl have done more to bring it closer to Melee, especially with ultimate, and I don't think I've seen a single critic of this move. But so many of those same people that praise the new games while trashing on melee don't seem to realize that all these changes keep bring it closer to melee.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to trying it, I just don't know how much I'm going to stick with it. Especially since I don't plan to pay for Nintendo's online thing. A lot of the changes do seem like improvements and sound pretty neat. And I know Smash 4 eventually got some patches that supposedly made some improvements, but I never really got back to it.

Made that Smash Stick thread. It's already gone better than I expected lmao. Figured it would either go no replies or just "wtf is this shit" and "Smash community just gonna ban it" type things, but the responses are mostly pretty genuine.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt I'm even going to finish unlocking the characters before never touching Smash Ultimate again. This feels identical to how I remember Smash 4...

Now that I know about the input lag issue my experience was a little better. I'll probably at least unlock everyone but I doubt I'll come back to it much. If I'm going to play Smash and my choices are Melee, PM, or Ultimate, it's very unlikely I'm going to pick Ultimate over either of the other two.

Also: Wombo Combo anniversary tournament is this weekend, and next weekend is Don't Park on the Grass.

Lmao. Lucky didn't show up for the Wombo Combo rematch so it's just Zhu vs Tang + Silentspectre. Zhu legit won the first game lol.

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about Ultimate yet. The movement feels really weird and I think it's the crazy buffer the game uses. Have to say, I like how you can do anything out of dash and that they brought back reverse aerial rush.

It's like almost there though.

You can almost dash dance. You can almost wavedash. You almost have enough hitstun for sick combos. It's so frustrating. I might just be bad at it, so I'm at least gonna give it the chance I gave Smash 4 and see if the meta develops into something cool, or trash like the last two games.

Melee is still the greatest game of all time though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i like the reduced lag off aerials, i like the speed, i like the fox trotting, i like air dodging not being op... all this shit was not in smash 4, which felt like a sluggish mess in comparison.

also mk feels more like brawl mk :)

but yeah it's going to be wait and see. i remember kinda liking smash 4 at first too, then the meta developed into absolute trash. genesis in february is going to be a very interesting watch.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Smash Ultimate really does feel great. Just dashing around doing shff aerials, feels like such a fast game. I felt a lot better about it after a few hours of playing around, definitely takes getting used to, buffer is intense. Feels like punish game is lacking. Again, that could just be something that will develop over time, but I have my doubts. It has a lot of that Smash 4 thing going on where hit boxes and hurt boxes are kinda small, air dodge might always show up.

So I'm kinda mixed on it, but hopeful. If nothing else, it's quite a bit more fun to play than Smash 4 already.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I like it a lot more than 4 already. But yeah I echo all your thoughts as well.
You can almost dash dance. You can almost wavedash. You almost have enough hitstun for sick combos. It's so frustrating. I might just be bad at it, so I'm at least gonna give it the chance I gave Smash 4 and see if the meta develops into something cool, or trash like the last two games.
This is a good way to put it. It feels like a game of "almosts."

I also missed registration for Don't Park on the Grass... but I have to work this weekend anyway so whatever :(

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Movement is probably the single biggest thing that would keep Ultimate from winning me over. I just love Melee's movement too much and Ultimate can't come close to matching it. Lots of minor nitpicks aside from that too, but things I could eventually overlook or get used to.

Been playing a lot of Lucina, feel like I can follow up better than Marth with her. I liked Wolf in Brawl (as much as I could like any character in Brawl) so I'm interested in trying him. Post-Melee Falco is trash. Can't make Falcon work. Ryu is cool, but I suck at fighting game motions.

Loosely related to fighting game motions, I'm a little disappointed at how the Smash Stick KS is being managed. They kind of coasted to 43% or so but haven't really been active outside the discord and the KS has stalled. Supposed to be some big stuff coming up - recording some videos, have some articles for big FGC sites in the works, planning some Twitch streams after that, so hopefully it works out. Some tweets and even a minor update about how well it works for Ultimate would have been good though, instead of just posting that stuff in the discord.

And I did an awesome Fox combo but Relive was off. So mad about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, between playing and seeing some of the stuff in this tournament I'll say Ultimate is pretty legit. It's not Melee, but it's good.

And Spud is tearing it up.

Ka-master over Fiction. Fiction has been playing great all weekend.

Not only a no-gods tournament but almost a no Fox top 8. Minimum one (KJH vs iBDW), maximum of 2 if Hax beats Michael.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
so leffen went from less than 1000 subs before ultimate

TO 5400 IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS

i think people like this new game

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't paid much attention to all the Ultimate content being made but it seems like he has been pumping out a ton (of varying quality/accuracy). I've been seeing a ton of people reference him. Not surprised his subs have gone up too.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
At first I thought Salem was serious, but now I think I get it. He's just saying dumb controversial stuff to get attention. Will probably get a bunch of Twitter followers out of, and win a couple juicy money matches against some Melee players.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ok so from what I can tell from that thread on gaming side, the new "scarily aggressive anti-melee smash fan" narrative is "project m was ok because brawl was broken, but by modding smash ultimate you're a piece of shit that is crossing the line - the world will be a better place when melee dies"

fucking dying at the idea that these warriors weren't barging into pm threads crying about people modding their perfect game into the cancer that is melee

I look forward to the next smash coming ever closer to the perfection that is the melee engine... and seeing this awful side of the smash community eat it up because it's the newest thing and they are incapable of independent thought. smash ultimate already contains TONS of gameplay elements that the brawl and smash 4 apologists would shit on relentlessly... but now that sakurai thinks it's fine, it's the best thing ever.

look no further than this tweet blowing up...

this is pretty much exactly why the melee fanbase didn't move on to the game (overall game speed), which of course the brawl/smash 4 kids took super personally and decided the melee fanbase just "never wants to move on".

but now that sakurai has made a game that basically shits on the previous game when it comes to gameplay and mechanics, solidifying what melee players said back in 2014... now they all laugh it up and poke fun at 4. it's really fascinating.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I find bizarre in all of this is that while everyone is acknowledging that 4 was bad, is that there's suddenly this contingency of people that wanna talk about how great Brawl was and no one really appreciated it.

That game is still, and will always be a terrible competitive fighter.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
There was a little bit of that when 4 came out too. Imo certain mechanics from 4 really make Brawl look good (ie, edge hogging stuff, chaingrabs removed). But beyond actual upsides, nostalgia just does that to people. Give something about 10 years and people will love admitting they had a soft spot for it.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to keep up my play, feel like I'm on the verge of a breakthrough. I've been going in and out of phases where I'll be able to truly focus 100% on the characters on screen and completely forget about inputs, like the controller isn't even there. Feels inexpressibly good to get into that zone, and so bad to fall out of it.