• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure you've probably seen this, but its impressive either way. The community generated tools for this game are something else.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
And in the future that kind of generated content will be able to automatically include player names. And even with the current version, you could probably fine tune the algorithm to dig up specific combos. "Combos done by Falcon" "Combos done by Falcon to Sheik." "Combos done by Falcon to Sheik that include a down air." Etc.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
That is some impressive tech. Glad we have cool things like that being worked on.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware there was a noteworthy tournament this weekend, will watch.

Audio lol

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Was Mojo vs Axe streamed? I remember playing vs his DK years ago at his house with that weird matchup

stream sounds like a broken AM Radio?

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
this stream lol

though i remember what streams on justin tv were like back in 2008 and i think this audio quality might be superior?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least they are working on the audio... now no commentary and just out of phase(?) game audio.

Game ended and it was fixed. Then Toph with the selfie? Lmao

I'M THE GUY, I get it!

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
c6yujfvu4ai9t13zvjae.jpg

they are killing the game i love

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Save us Slippi. Make timeouts more meaningful by making person who held center the winner. If it's too close to call then go by percent.

Could also probably justify a change to a 6 minute timer along with that.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
thing is chango is about to get annihilated by whoever his next opponent is

as if he doesn't know how to play super smash bros melee for the nintendo gamecube

so what do you do

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I missed it, what happened that needed a judge ruling?

Just now? It was just a super campy Puff ICs set. Wobbling banned. IC player was frustrated and wobbled to end a game he was already about to lose, and just walked off stage (physically, not in-game) to end the set after they went like 2 minutes without any interaction during the last game.

I think Falcons are just too good at FoD now, it's not a great counterpick anymore. The top Falcons are all getting better at using the platforms instead of getting messed up by them.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this counterpick, Zain destroys people on DL.

That SD might be the difference.

Sick edgeguard, from S2J???

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Axe looking like the best Melee player by far today.

Waaait I didn't even notice, they are playing with frozen Stadium? That's cool.

Yep, best Melee player by far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There was talk about it for a lot of last year, but this is the first time I've heard of anything other than a local actually running it.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
God, that ICs vs Puff set felt more like an attempt by both players to make a political statement than an actual competition. There's gotta be a better solution to timeouts now that players (Puff mains) are so pervasively gaming the ruleset. That was brutal.

WF/LF/GF were all so sick though

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I was posting those kinds of tech back in 2016, but axe actually does it in matches.
Hes done it in tournament too, which is crazy to me that he even goes for it under pressure.

damn nice! I'd love to see Axe bust it out in tourney. Would be crazy.

Also it seems like there's a bit of backlash going on against Ultimate right now, which is hilarious to me. Smash 4 players starting to criticize it because it doesn't play enough like Smash 4. This doesn't actually surprise me because I couldn't stand Smash 4 and enjoy Ultimate, so I could see people who were obsessed with Smash 4 not really enjoying some of the changes made.

Basically this all leads to everyone coming back to Melee

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
It's not just an edge cancel, it's an edge cancelled aerial interrupt. Pikachu's fair can do that as well; it has two (separate) frames iirc where it does so and when hitting the second one you don't even need to edge cancel as it will auto cancel.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? Based on the frame data it looks like dair is Pikachu's only aerial without an early autocancel window, which would mean it couldn't aerial interrupt. But that frame data could be wrong.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Absentpage was banned from MN tournaments after posting about wishing M2K was dead. I can already see the Era thread and the direction it will go.

"Why is everyone who associates with Melee so damn terrible?"

and not

"Community did good, better safe than sorry. Hopefully AP gets the help he needs."

Mar-Mar

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Based on the frame data it looks like dair is Pikachu's only aerial without an early autocancel window, which would mean it couldn't aerial interrupt
To my knowledge an aerial interrupt doesn't require autocancel frames, it's just about the downward momentum making you land earlier on the platform than a wavedash could. Samus always has autocancel frames I think, but Pikachu's dair will never autocancel when doing this and its fair also won't autocancel during the second 1 frame window, but it will during the first one (I mixed it up in my previous post because it means you have to use fair later and I didn't think this through haha). Source: I'm a Pikachu main? :D I found two gifs for comparison:

With landing lag and hitbox out:

3P1bWY4.gif

Autocancel and no hitbox out:

(both gifs taken from this thread)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. It's usually just useful for autocancels but in this case it's using an edge cancel instead. The spacing and timing to do that is even more ridiculous than I thought.

Mar-Mar

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Yeah, the advantage that Pikachu's dair or his second frame window of fair have is the active hitbox. Another example from Axe (it comboes if I'm not mistaken):

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Pewfat's doubles winning streak ends at 12. M2K and Plup beat them. Two guys that don't even play Melee anymore lol.

And now that comment got me thinking, I wonder how summit invites for Smash Summit 8 are going to be handled. If players like Leffen or M2K don't enter Melee singles all year do they still qualify for Summit invites? It would be kind of weird for players that are inactive to get invites over people actually grinding and still putting in effort to improve.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
Pewfat's doubles winning streak ends at 12. M2K and Plup beat them. Two guys that don't even play Melee anymore lol.

And now that comment got me thinking, I wonder how summit invites for Smash Summit 8 are going to be handled. If players like Leffen or M2K don't enter Melee singles all year do they still qualify for Summit invites? It would be kind of weird for players that are inactive to get invites over people actually grinding and still putting in effort to improve.
don't invite them, make them campaign for the spot, summit would make a bad precedent if invited players that hasn't enter tournaments, there should be a balance between relying on the gods and leffen for viewers and using summit to help less know players to shine.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there have been a lot of Puffs on stream today.

Plup is too good.

If Zain loses this set because he didn't take advantage of a shield break...

Last edited:

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ass at this game but Chu was doing wayyyy too much crouching. It didn't help him at all. He'd just crouch and get down tilted like five times.

Then he played the last minute just weird AF. There wasn't enough time to wait out that transformation.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Take with a grain of salt, but leffen sounds like he's done with ultimate according to his twitter

Maybe it's just the melee player in me, but I find it's hard these days to stick with a game unless you really fucking love it. And I'm not playing every day for thousands of people/regularly flying to the other side of the world to play video games like he is. Leffen clearly likes the game... but doesn't love it.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Leffen seems to like what Ultimate does for him more than he likes the game. I don't doubt he enjoys it, but I agree he doesn't seem to love it like Melee. But dropping it will probably tank his Internet personality stock.

And I just missed the Hbox Mango set.

That Zain vs Plup interaction was a perfect example of why I don't like the "can't run through opponents" thing in Ultimate.

Hbox literally walked off stage and SD'd, I think at 0? That's a new one.

This Mango Plup set is so good. I haven't seen Mango play this good in a long time.

Missed whatever happened after Hbox won. Edit: Apparently someone threw an actual crab at him.

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna have to disable notifications if he wants to get a word in, let alone give a speech.