• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
By no tournaments you mean he didn't announce he's going to anything? If so that's a bit disappointing, but not really surprising. But since he's streaming I imagine he has to make a tournament return soon. He can't really string people along while actively streaming.

I just hope I'm wrong about how he performs when he does attend again. The level of play is a lot higher now than it was when he was last active so I'm not expecting great results right away.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
He said he doesn't plan on attending anything in the near future because he doesn't feel 100% and can't focus on Melee for more than a couple hours at a time, but streaming and accepting the torrent of subs he knew he'd get is his way of making a commitment to stream consistently and work his way back.

And yeah, it's obvious he's not current in the meta. Mentioned being slow at shield dropping on non-UCF and stuff like that. He definitely has the work ethic to make it back to top 10, but that seems contingent on regaining his ability to play for more than two hours at a time.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
He said he'd like go to some locals when he's ready and work his way back up.

I do wonder if the hardest part for him might not end up being competing, but traveling to compete.

PP watches/thinks about melee too much to not know about the current meta, but knowing and doing are obviously different things. Shield drops are the most notable example

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to go back and watch top 8 (at least) for Come to Papa. They ran Melee so early on Sunday it was over by the time I got home from work.

I just learned that Smash n' Splash is a midwestern tournament. Specifically Wisconsin. For some reason I thought that was a coastal tournament, one that took place somewhere warm.

Played a little today to shake off rust and got some shenanigans.

I have no idea how that grabbed the ledge.

The rare Falco laser KO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
GOML is nuts and there isn't any activity here :(

Mango had no reason to win over Swedish.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Moky is goddamn going off, wow. Beat Plup, and that was pretty convincing.

And anyone who missed Leffen vs Zain early has to watch that. That's an all-time great set.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Chillin said he beat Plup's Sheik. Sounds like Plup was just not having a good day.

Swedish didn't look near as good against Wizzy as he did against Mango. Impressive showing for Wizzy to make top 8 though since he's just getting back to Melee I think.

Melee top 8 is early, bleh. Probably going to miss the whole thing.

Someone: Why do you lose stocks to the terrible CPUs?
Me: Because I play like this

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Wizzy taking hbox to game 5 at GOML. attempting the reverse 3-0.

i'll be thrilled as an axe fanboy if he clears out the floaty-god.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
WIZZY DID IT

WIZZY DID IT

THEY SAID THE GAME WAS DEAD

THEY SAID BAN PUFF

DOUGLAS JAY FALCON SAYS OTHERWISE

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Oh thank heaven. I would have been grumpy all day if axe lost to sfat. well, to anyone other than the gods in attendance.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
LightheartedTeemingGroundhog-size_restricted.gif

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Leffen and Mango coming up next.

Not gonna lie, with Hbox gone top 8 is way more exciting.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What an insane tournament, wild seeing how Mango went from that messy set with sfat to that win over leffen

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
This top 8 is amazing so far, it's great to see Wizzy & Leffen make it this far after not playing in tournaments for a bit

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching top 8. This tournament was so good, except top 8 being so early. Just awesome set after awesome set, even before top 8.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Finished watching top 8. This tournament was so good, except top 8 being so early. Just awesome set after awesome set, even before top 8.

YASSSS!

Top 8 was godlike.

So many good sets.

Leffen vs HBOX
Mango vs Leffen
Axe vs Leffen
Mango vs Axe

I was watching GOML all weekend swapping between Ultimate and Melee for the matches I preferred. Just a great tournament with amazing production values. I feel like the Ultimate honeymoon is over, Melee is back!

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
GOML 2019 was a really good tournament. Definitely one of my all time favourites now. I'm a little bit sad that aMSa didn't male Top 8 and we didn't get a Game 10 GFs between Mango and Axe, but you can't have everything.

Hope to see Axe win a major this year!

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The only part of GOML that I was sorta let down by is Leffen completely rolling over in Winner's finals. Not that I wanted Leffen to win, just those sets are usually way more back and forth.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
The only part of GOML that I was sorta let down by is Leffen completely rolling over in Winner's finals. Not that I wanted Leffen to win, just those sets are usually way more back and forth.

Yeah, but considering he was focused on Melee up until this event, he did super well. Just can't always maintain that stamina for the whole event.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
A few months ago I started diving into my secondaries and really picked up Young Link. Something just clicked and now I find him so fun to play.

Unfortunately for my win/loss ratio I almost exclusively play YL now and I'm diving back into netplay to start really getting better. It's heartbreaking to really put him to the test against the better characters becuase I think he is so close to being a great character. A few tweaks here and there and YL could easily be tournament viable.

I do enjoy his playstyle though. Tricky bombs and boomerangs set ups, pretty good edgeguarding, and some really cool combo potential.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of a time that I was on a friendly rotation at Shine. we had 3 people, and i was sitting out. a 4th potential player walked up, almost opened his mouth, saw that there was a YL timing out an IC in friendlies, and walked away immediately.

young link is awesome and if i could press buttons more quickly i'd love to pick him up, but this was the last time I played with a YL so it is what came to mind. i cracked up pretty hard.