• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I still want the Smash stick. They mentioned they might offer a way to get a beta stick before the next Kickstarter attempt. Even if I had to assemble it (should be easy) I'd be up for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the Smash Box relevant?

Just curious.
I've been curious about playing with a box/stick for a long time now since I don't really like the GC controller much anyway, and I never played enough Melee or PM to make the switch feel difficult. I wanted to get one when I was still new at the game. Almost all of my Smash experience is from like 1000+ hours of competing in Smash 4 and since I didn't like Ultimate (and frankly fell very hard out of love with 4 when I stopped playing) now feels like the right time.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I've been curious about playing with a box/stick for a long time now since I don't really like the GC controller much anyway, and I never played enough Melee or PM to make the switch feel difficult. I wanted to get one when I was still new at the game. Almost all of my Smash experience is from like 1000+ hours of competing in Smash 4 and since I didn't like Ultimate (and frankly fell very hard out of love with 4 when I stopped playing) now feels like the right time.

Ah, that makes sense. For a long time, I could only play on GC controllers, but now that I've been able to play other smash-like games I can do with other controllers like a 360, XONE or a Pro Controller. Still, think GC is the best one, but I feel ya.

I always kind of think it's insane to prefer 4 over Ultimate, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm trying to stay interested in Ultimate, but no one at my level to play with easily and too lazy for locals, plus my Melee skills have leveled up recently so it's mostly Melee these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes sense. For a long time, I could only play on GC controllers, but now that I've been able to play other smash-like games I can do with other controllers like a 360, XONE or a Pro Controller. Still, think GC is the best one, but I feel ya.

I always kind of think it's insane to prefer 4 over Ultimate, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm trying to stay interested in Ultimate, but no one at my level to play with easily and too lazy for locals, plus my Melee skills have leveled up recently so it's mostly Melee these days.
To be honest I wouldn't say I prefer 4 over Ultimate overall, but Ultimate just introduced a few changes that really didn't grab me in the way I was hoping. These days I wouldn't want to go back to 4 either, really. Even when I was really into 4 I always thought of PM as the best Smash game and I ended up getting VERY frustrated with 4 by the time I quit.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
To be honest I wouldn't say I prefer 4 over Ultimate overall, but Ultimate just introduced a few changes that really didn't grab me in the way I was hoping. These days I wouldn't want to go back to 4 either, really. Even when I was really into 4 I always thought of PM as the best Smash game and I ended up getting VERY frustrated with 4 by the time I quit.

Ah I see.

Yeah, I loved PM, but I just can't love it as much as Melee. For me, the issue with PM was just how involved the community was with getting desired changes implemented. I don't think players always know best and the final version of PM had too many characters with options I just don't agree with.

However, If Melee had some of the technical leniency that PM has, I do think it would be for the best.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I thought Plup might win because I think his Pikachu is better than Axe' Sheik, but then I remembered how awful the matchup in NTSC is, haha.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
didnt' watch any of summit day 1, but i've been watching some of day 2. aMSa kinda sorta put in some work on the falcon matchup. beat s2j 3-1

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Going to miss all of pools but I will hopefully see the whole main bracket. Getting home sometime tomorrow afternoon Central.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind playing long drawn out sets until I start to fall behind. At that point it just feels so hopeless and I get so demoralized. Big props to those guys for staying resolved and keeping it tight down to the very end.

As a spectator, I love it. It's annoying if one person is up two stocks for 8 minutes, but when it's so close like that, I really enjoy the tension. Especially the last 2 minutes.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
True, that's huge. I missed it live so I didn't even realize at first.

Worth going back and watching?

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I actually think it's really cool that Wizzy and Amsa keep beating HBox. I believe Amsa is in winners for the bracket. If Yoshi took Summit, I'd be pretty fucking pumped. haha

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow i missed some upsets. Trif over zain? Hope this becomes a new marth-peach rivalry to follow with the old gods retired.

Ibdw over mango? Oh wow.i did see mango axe tho. The lethal homie-stock had to be tilting.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Took a while for the narrative to build up but this Summit got super interesting. iBDW Axe grand finals would be insane.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
With Hbox out, Axe has such a good chance to take this whole thing. Fingers crossed!

Him and Wizzy have definitely leveled up, but I feel like they benefit so much from other people managing to handle Hbox and Mango respectively.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
With Hbox out, Axe has such a good chance to take this whole thing. Fingers crossed!

Him and Wizzy have definitely leveled up, but I feel like they benefit so much from other people managing to handle Hbox and Mango respectively.

Axe took out mango. Its not unusual for him to do so either.
Hbox yeah. Or do you mean wizzy beating hbox, and axe beating mango?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Summit rules.

Is IBDW the highest performing vote in of all time?

Zain got 3rd at Summit 6 as a vote in, unless iBDW turns this set around he'll be second best after that at 4th.

iBDW's run is way more impressive though. Including pools Zain beat Ginger, SFAT, Mango, and Plup for 3rd. iBDW beat S2J, Moky, Mango, Amsa and Hbox for 4th.

Wizzy demolished Leffen. He's going off this year.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
PIKACHU VS CAPTAIN FALCON GRAND FINALS IN 2019

FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION MY ASS

THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE FALCON BABY

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope Axe can go up 2-0, would probably feel a lot less pressured.

These are definitely the two hottest players in Melee this year. The grand finals we needed and deserved.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
We kept asking if Falcon could do it, but no one was asking whether Pikachu could do it at all.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
HE IS THE CHAMPION NOW

d31uqvy-2c36d2cb-2624e6k3t.jpg

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I have wanted Axe to win a major event for six years and today it finally happened. That is so awesome for him.

Melee is sick.