• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like this is thread worthy. A Pikachu winning a Melee Major in 2019.

but everyone is just going to shit on it because lol melee lol competitive smash so fuck it

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets fucking go Axe, so AZ Proud right now. Been waiting for this moment forever.

Not gonna lie, almost cried when he won. Hit me hard lol

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Axe broke 4k subs already. 5k seems inevitable, who knows how far it will go.

I thought about making a thread but Era's hate boner for Melee just makes it a bad idea.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaaaaah aaaaaxe

The protagonist of melee becoming the god of thunder.

After 5 years of cheering for the guy I'm so happy he won a major.

Still hoping for the dream of Eggstatic grand finals one day.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I'm not crying, you're crying

It feels like it was only 2-3 years ago when I was beating him at my house with Ganon. It's actually been like 10 years.

I cried like a MF when he won. He's worked so hard and he's come so far. Melee is literally the best sport of all time.

Like 6 months ago I was arguing that C.Falcon could win a Super Major, but I didn't think Pikachu could. Now Axe and Wizzy are proving us wrong.

Melee is just too damn hype.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Did they roll a trailer for Summit 9 or anything at the end? I was sorta in and out after Axe got his Pizza.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
Axe finally did itttttttt!

I'm so so happy for him, he's been putting in the hard work and has been totally dedicated to improving. I've noticed his improved mindset since the start of the year and I'm hoping he can continue to put up amazing results! Melee in 2019 is so great, it's going to be really interesting to see the rankings by the end.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I'm just glad that for the most part all the Melee people that dipped into Ultimate are back. 😛

Same, I think it's safe to say they all gave Ultimate a pretty good shot. I think if Ultimate just had a few things different, Leffen would still be focused on it it.

I dug the first Ultimate summit, but the best parts about it revolved around the Melee vs Smash 4 dynamic. Not sure I'm really interested in an actual Ultimate summit.

Yeah, I probably won't watch it at all unless Zero is there. A lot of the top Ultimate players are meh to me. I do love Samsora though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
2019 Melee is dope. Not just the character and player firsts for Majors but all the tech going on behind the scenes with Slippi etc
Summit literally broadcast Melee HD

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Falco t-posing across the stage, lol.

I'm assuming it's a Dolphin/FM/Slippi glitch and not actually Melee.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wizzrobe got picked up by Team Envy. Apparently a decently large org. Pretty huge pickup for them even though he lost to Axe at Summit he's still on fire this year and in the conversation for #1 for the year. If he can keep beating Hbox and dodge Mango and Plup he'll be in really good shape.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a ledge grab limit being enforced in tournament D:
60 grabs total seems like an alright test number

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't looked at how many ledge grabs typically occur in games in depth, I support LGL for the health of the competitive spirit of the game when it comes to time outs. Since 60 ledge grabs would discourage going for time outs in theory, I also think the time limit should be brought down to 7 minutes with LGL in place. I think this would make any time outs that do occur more exciting since it'll be harder to run down the clock without going over the LGL. In almost any other fighting game when a time out occurs it's really hype but in Smash it's often a dud.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say I've seen an Albert in R1 pools at some tournaments. Don't know if that's the same Albert or not.

Still, that might be one of the biggest upsets ever.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Albert got 5th at the Arcadian this year, 3rd at the Dreamhack tournament nobody went to because of SNS (behind Hugs and Magi), and tied for 17th at the Mango losing to Sfat and Swedish (ouch). Apart from that I can't find many tournaments he's attended, I think like a lot of top 100-ish level players he can't travel much for Melee due to school/work and whatnot.

I'll say that he looked pretty damn legit against Lucky.

Last edited:

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Albert got 5th at the Arcadian this year, 3rd at the Dreamhack tournament nobody went to because of SNS (behind Hugs and Magi), and tied for 17th at the Mango losing to Sfat and Swedish (ouch). Apart from that I can't find many tournaments he's attended, I think like a lot of top 100-ish level players he can't travel much for Melee due to school/work and whatnot.

I'll say that he looked pretty damn legit against Lucky.

Sick, I'll definitely keep my eyes on him moving forward.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'd planned to watch LTC 7 this weekend but I wasn't expecting much based on the list of people attending.

Having said that, Albert.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think his shot at appearing in grands was beating SFat, and he very nearly did it. Still, he can be super proud at what he accomplished. I hope we see more of him in the future.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the finals stage for LTC7 is fucking INSANE. like putting Evo to shame. holy production values.