• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty hyped to see Hbox win this one after the early loss. He was out for blood with that loser's run.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
That was one of the most stress inducing grand finals I've seen in a while. 2019 Melee continues to be amazing.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
2019 has been an incredible year for Melee. Things were looking so bleak at the start; now it's like there's a tournament that would be the best tournament of any other year every month. Axe takes one, Wizzy takes one, Hbox takes one in the most stressful way possible... Great time to be a Melee fan.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Hot take*

Ledge grab limit

Happy for one to exist. Laughing very loud at M2K's complaining about it. My honest opinion on it is that even if Puff can "abuse" it more than anyone else, or more effectively, the issue is that HBox has a 90% chance of winning the set anyway just because of who he is, while M2K can absolutely lose and he knows ledge stalling can get him wins that he otherwise deserves to lose.

Edit: But wait, this YouTube comment actually is just a better solution: Vancouver BC melee: 15 taunts in a row wins you the game. Forces an interaction :^)

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Well, M2K's point is people suck at dealing with it and there's viable counterplay for every character (shield wavedash back to snap the ledge) except when it's against Puff. I guess we'll never know if he is right or not and people don't seem to care anyway because it's lame. Saw a thread on reddit and everyone was just shitting on Jason and not a single person even mentioned his suggested counterplay.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
M2K is way too hard on himself. He doesn't need ledge stalling to destroy 99.9% of players

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
M2K's counterplay seems unreliable, it gets beat by a ledge dash because you have to approach the ledge, generally backwards, before you can WD OOS to ledge.

LGL is good for Melee imo. The only actual downside is some low tiers will suffer a bit. Notably Yoshi, but Bowser actually gets hurt the most. But since it only applies to timeouts it's still not a huge deal.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi getting hurt is the only thing that makes me worried about it. I'm going to be crushed the first time a high tier main starts playing for timeouts against aMSa. Which will definitely happen. ;_;

(I'm also not sure how he's going to beat Hbox with a LGL... :/)

All in all I think it will be good for the game.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
M2K's counterplay seems unreliable, it gets beat by a ledge dash because you have to approach the ledge, generally backwards, before you can WD OOS to ledge
Yeah, it obviously is a mixup, but the wavedash is still unreactable, so you can threaten it if you're in the right position. Some characters also don't have the ledge dash option (Marth for example). I don't know how good these options are that M2K mentions in his video because I have basically no experience against ledgestalling, but I do think he has a point when he says that most players don't know how to deal with it. I also think he is right in his argument that a lot of the times a LGL actually favours Jigglypuff because it can float in the air for a while before regrabbing the ledge, so it will regrab the ledge far less often than other characters when ledgestalling. For this reason he at least wants the LGL for Jigglypuff to be significantly lower. He also said they did this in Brawl for Meta Knight.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi getting hurt is the only thing that makes me worried about it. I'm going to be crushed the first time a high tier main starts playing for timeouts against aMSa. Which will definitely happen. ;_;

(I'm also not sure how he's going to beat Hbox with a LGL... :/)

All in all I think it will be good for the game.
IIRC even with all his ledge shenanigans he still only does 40-50 ledge grabs at most. 60 basically requires genuine, blatant stalling, it's a pretty fair number.

I also think he is right in his argument that a lot of the times a LGL actually favours Jigglypuff because it can float in the air for a while before regrabbing the ledge, so it will regrab the ledge far less often than other characters when ledgestalling. For this reason he at least wants the LGL for Jigglypuff to be significantly lower. He also said they did this in Brawl for Meta Knight.

I could see this happening eventually, but only after seeing how things go with the standard LGL. If Puff still proves to be capable of blatant stalling then Puff and Kirby might get a reduced LGL due to multiple jumps increasing the power of each ledge grab. But that might not even be necessary.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
According to a diligent hero on /r/ssbm, amsa had 33 ledgegrabs in the dreamland timeout vs hbox at summit. That... makes me feel a lot better

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
That is a WILD top 10

Wizzy at number 2! A Falcon is the second best player in the world? what is this 2005????

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
2019 melee is beautiful. I'm still an axe fanboy but wizzy and zain continuing to climb and amsa holding on have all been awesome too.

I swear, Mang0-Axe wednesday must have been magn0's secret plot to save melee by tricking axe into training harder.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
2019 melee is beautiful. I'm still an axe fanboy but wizzy and zain continuing to climb and amsa holding on have all been awesome too.

I swear, Mang0-Axe wednesday must have been magn0's secret plot to save melee by tricking axe into training harder.

Vectorman deserves all the training+coaching credit tbh

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
8 different characters played by the top 10 players. If Armada comes back we'd have 9.

so sad that people will keep pushing the FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION meme when that is unfathomable variety for a game that is almost 18 years old

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Wizzy and Axe at 2 and 3 feels so reactionary, but I guess it's accurate. Hard to argue anyone above them. Either way I hope they hold and/or keep rising up, they're big highlights for the game.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Wizzy and Axe at 2 and 3 feels so reactionary, but I guess it's accurate. Hard to argue anyone above them. Either way I hope they hold and/or keep rising up, they're big highlights for the game.

It's really more of a power rankings based on this year's placings.

in my mind wizzy or axe beating mango or leffen is still an upset. too many years of dominance from those two.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
biggest tournament of august

IS THIS WEEKEND

SMASH CON BABY

not melee but the smash 64 combo contest just wrapped up and it was fucking incredible:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
semi off topic but BIG LEFF DID IT

probably the most hype set of ultimate i've ever seen lol. entire venue was watching. even hbox was getting hype after leff won lol.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So how has Smashcon been? Work schedule is currently awful and I can't really watch anything.

Edit: Looks like I'm missing a great tournament :(

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What dominant sets by Leffen and a great Melee tournament overall

humongous leff indeed

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
It's sort of nuts that they unbanned wobbling to begin with or that this conversation even needed to happen.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC it was only unbanned because of the Evo ruleset going against the grain and MrWizard/Evo TOs not caring about it resulting in degenerative play. Since Evo did it everyone else followed. With Melee not at Evo anymore, TBH banning it is basically the start of a defacto community-wide ban. If Genesis and/or Shine ban it too, it's basically going to get banned everywhere for the sake of standardization.

Which is for the better IMO. I don't think any of the arguments for it actually justify it being legal and Juggleguy's explanations nails the logic behind it. Particularly the point about levels of play beyond the very top level, something that a lot of people tend to disregard.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Hax's video (that got the LGL adopted) was kind of a nail in the coffin for wobbling as well -- because (1) it drove home a ruleset change, and (2) while he contrasts the two to make the case for the LGL, once you look beyond top level it's abundantly obvious that wobbling is considerably worse in all respects. Super degenerate and also theoretically overcentralizing (but for peer pressure + not being big money esports).

Anyway, praise be

Jun 22, 2019
So many fighting games have repetitive combos that last longer than wobbling usually does, that I never saw it as an issue.

There was a Summit where Bananas I think(?) faced Leffen and won from getting the grabs into wobbles and it was one of the most hype and tense matches I've watched. Was at the edge of my seat.

I know there's arguments for local-level play where it may ruin the tourney experience for a lot of people who aren't world-level competition, and that's really the only argument I've seen that resonates with me. But the thought of banning a tool from a character that rarely ever sqweaks into top 8 at majors leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm still amazed people want to ban it so bad TBH. It's like a less extreme version of banning grabs in SF2 at the arcade because salt. Can we ban waveshines and Puff's rest too? (That last question was sarcasm, although I've seen people legitimately argue in favor of those.)

Also I missed SmashCon WTF.

Oct 25, 2017
So many fighting games have repetitive combos that last longer than wobbling usually does, that I never saw it as an issue.

There was a Summit where Bananas I think(?) faced Leffen and won from getting the grabs into wobbles and it was one of the most hype and tense matches I've watched. Was at the edge of my seat.

I know there's arguments for local-level play where it may ruin the tourney experience for a lot of people who aren't world-level competition, and that's really the only argument I've seen that resonates with me. But the thought of banning a tool from a character that rarely ever sqweaks into top 8 at majors leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm still amazed people want to ban it so bad TBH. It's like a less extreme version of banning grabs in SF2 at the arcade because salt. Can we ban waveshines and Puff's rest too? (That last question was sarcasm, although I've seen people legitimately argue in favor of those.)

I doubt those long boring combos are also guaranteed kill combos though, and even then I'm curious what you're talking about because that sounds ridiculous and nothing comes to mind from any fighting game I've played. :P

Jun 22, 2019
I doubt those long boring combos are also guaranteed kill combos though, and even then I'm curious what you're talking about because that sounds ridiculous and nothing comes to mind from any fighting game I've played. :P

Melee has 4 stocks, it's not exactly a "guaranteed kill" by FG standards.

Games with multiple characters like the vs series are ripe with TODs for that same reason, where the match isn't over just because one health bar was depleted. You can claim they're not boring, but after watching them thousands of times, they very much are.

Tons of anime fighters have BnBs that last 15+ seconds (yes wobbling can potentially last much longer but the average time required to attain kill % tends to not be longer than that, as it's not like ICs manage to start their wobbles with the opponent at low percent every single time).

Don't get me started on older games. Sailor Moon is played as a side tourney at like every big FGC major and that games has infinites up the wazoo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

The problem with wobbling is that it's a single punish that completely circumvents actually playing Melee. Other "lame" tools like Sheik's reaction tech chasing, or waveshines, or whatever at least have some degree of defensive counterplay in the form of DI, SDI, tech options, etc. Even with Rest you can often DI for the side blastzone to get a punish even on hit. It's a fairly objective difference. Whether it's boring, or whether a character inherently deserves representation, those are subjective.

Ice Climbers could do hand off combos instead of wobbling. But players obviously don't like it because it's worse (not a guaranteed kill) and harder (requires reactions for Nana's throws, more difficult inputs).

Jun 22, 2019
The problem with wobbling is that it's a single punish that completely circumvents actually playing Melee.

For just the remainder of that stock. Again, that's like saying combos circumvent playing fighting games.

I still don't see a problem with one character having a unique feature that allows a ToD when that character isn't even close to being top tier.

Oct 25, 2017
Melee has 4 stocks, it's not exactly a "guaranteed kill" by FG standards.

Games with multiple characters like the vs series are ripe with TODs for that same reason, where the match isn't over just because one health bar was depleted. You can claim they're not boring, but after watching them thousands of times, they very much are.

Tons of anime fighters have BnBs that last 15+ seconds (yes wobbling can potentially last much longer but the average time required to attain kill % tends to not be longer than that, as it's not like ICs manage to start their wobbles with the opponent at low percent every single time).

Don't get me started on older games. Sailor Moon is played as a side tourney at like every big FGC major and that games has infinites up the wazoo.
Sure, but those ToDs usually are a little harder to do than rhythmically pressing one button over and over and require the player to either spend a ton of resources to net the kill or are very situational. Like yeah Bardock and Cell have ToDs that aren't absurdly hard to do but also you need to start your combo with a specific heavily telegraphed move in neutral, have both assists, and burn your Sparking. I've never heard of a ToD that started off of an L or tick throw anywhere on the field that wasted no resources.

Jun 22, 2019
I don't see any point in comparing Melee specifically to DBFZ as if they're equivalent - the general point was merely that lots of fighting games have "downtime" due to combos. As the case with ICs, the interesting parts of those games is how a player earns that combo in the first place. In Melee it's particularly interesting to watch as Popo and Nana are often separated purposefully to disallow a wobble.

Hell, the standard 50% BnB that's mostly the same structure for nearly the whole cast in DBFZ takes as much time as your usual wobble and happens waaaaaaay more often than a wobble would in a Melee match with ICs.

I disagree with Chaosblade's argument in favor of banning it, but I still do think that sort of reasoning packs way more punch than wobbling being "boring" or being "too good." If ICs were Fox tier without wobbling, then it being too powerful would have a basis.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can argue that's an issue with DBFZ in general and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but it's also not a criticism that applies to only one low tier character in the game. Only reason I bring that game up in particular is because it's the fighting game I have the most experience with playing/watching outside of Smash.

My point is that "downtime" and even TODs are not the problem - the problem is one character having a TOD that can start off a jab or raw grab in neutral that brings the pace of the game to a screeching halt in comparison to the rest of the cast. I don't think "wobble = TOD in an anime game" is a reasonable comparison for that reason.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm just saying I'm used to waiting for combos to end from other fighters, so ICs bringing the pace to a screeching halt is fine for me personally as a viewer. I realize not many people agree, and some competitors hate having to play against ICs (it's funny cause Axe is my favorite player and he famously struggles against them).

I'm fine with them having such a fundamental difference from the rest of the cast as well. I can appreciate unique aspects that stand out, and I like how ICs create such a different feeling and mandate such a different gameplan from usual. I personallythink the diversity adds to the fun.

At the end of the day, it's pretty much gonna be majority rule and it thus far seems like wobbling will probably end up nearly universally banned. Which I find unfortunate, but eh, it's ultimately whatev. Just the notion that they are uniquely frustrating doesn't resonate with me as a solid reason for a ban.

For the ToD discussion, I would say it would be comparable to one character having a ToD while others didn't, yet that character wasn't even high tier despite having that ToD. Heck, there's probably some older anime game/s out there with that specific scenario.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the point that it makes matches tense to watch, and is generally fun to see. Playing matches too, it adds a great layer of fear because of the shame you have to wallow in for a minute. I like having it around.

To the point about other fighting games though, I'd say that's a flaw with both those games and wobbling. One of the big high points of Melee and Smash in general is the near constant interactivity; outside of ICs and a few other situations, there's rarely a combo that could be done the same way regardless of the other player's actions. But I also don't think it's that big a deal as a one off character gimmick.

I don't mind that much if it's banned either though. Enough people seem to dislike it, so I guess whichever way makes more people keep playing the game is cool.