• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
mew2king's first tournament back

top 8 winners after beating ibdw and hbox

if that's not enough to get him back into melee regularly... not sure what else can be done. What a showing!

emb

Oct 28, 2017
mew2king's first tournament back

top 8 winners after beating ibdw and hbox

if that's not enough to get him back into melee regularly... not sure what else can be done. What a showing!
Looked like he had a good time, too. I hope he can stick with that low expectation attitude and just enjoy competing in Melee.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
The lost stocks have been recovered. Thanks to slippi we got the full game 10 recorded.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It can't be stated how awesome Slippi and all the new Melee tech is.

Anyone have any recommendations for replacement sticks? The stick on my primary controller is starting to get pretty rough. I know several places sell them including cheap ones on Ebay but I don't know what's good.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
It can't be stated how awesome Slippi and all the new Melee tech is.

Anyone have any recommendations for replacement sticks? The stick on my primary controller is starting to get pretty rough. I know several places sell them including cheap ones on Ebay but I don't know what's good.
I'd be interested too. I haven't had good luck with replacement sticks, but I haven't shopped around for them in a while. The last time I tried getting replacement sticks they were just slightly shorter than the real thing so the flat thumb part of the stick would touch the gate when pushing them all the way to any side. I have swapped in a wii nunchuck stick on a controller I have, but those are extra tall and feel a bit weird.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like Hbox will probably have a lot of momentum in the reset. Hoping M2K can pull it off but I'm not confident.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
N0ne beats Mang0 and almost made Grands! Buster weekend? I need to see that set. CLUTCH GOD

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

ISAI ARE YOU WATCHING

THE SPEED OF THIS SET GOD DAMN

FALCON DITTOS

also kinda amazing that the dude ranked 2nd in the world loses the ditto to another player lol

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that Wizzy used to be the king of the Falcon ditto, but these days it seems like one of his weaker matchups. I don't know if he still practices all the time with Gahzhu, and Gravy switched to Fox even if those two still play.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hax going in on Melee again, this time monitors and latency.

tl;dw:

He basically thinks monitors can be standard for Melee in the future using similar latency improvements to what Faster Melee uses for online play. Regardless of that, he thinks Melee's polling drift fix should be incorporated into UCF, even for CRTs.

That said, he currently supports a halfway point between vanilla Melee and Faster Melee's full latency fix, because he thinks FM reduces latency too much to equal the average CRT.

On the other side, Blur has apparently given this a big thumbs down because it can't be done via hardware, unlike UCF which has hardware dongle alternatives. Since there's no hardware option, it won't be usable when partnering with Nintendo.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not feeling it. Even with all performance issues fixed, I don't like the idea of leaving CRTs. They're part of the charm, part of what it means to play Melee (or old games in general). But I'm not a TO that has to transport and make space for a bunch of these at each event, so there's no downside for me. I get why there's value in alternatives.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I look at all the insane enthusiast tech for playing retro games on new displays, and it blows my mind that somehow we still don't have monitors that just work exactly how a CRT does when it comes to response time. Between speedrunners and Melee/old school competitive fighting game players there's definitely a market.

like JUST MAKE IT WORK SCIENTIST PEOPLE

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They might not have been uploaded, stream was on btssmash so they should be on the BTS Youtube channel.

Looking at my old funny clips makes me want to find an actually good Falcon Kick Randall slideoff combo. Wonder if that exists or if it's something only I'm dumb enough to even consider.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaaaat. I mean you don't really see that it's Melee but still.

Also Hbox's mom is mashing but the ways she holds the controller you can tell she has played Melee. She's an R user and has her index finger over that, but doesn't have her left index finger over L. Or I guess that could have been coached as part of the acting idk

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at my old funny clips makes me want to find an actually good Falcon Kick Randall slideoff combo. Wonder if that exists or if it's something only I'm dumb enough to even consider.

id go for it, and likely sd in the process.
One of our TO's ragequit on me a few times for going for "disrespectful" things, but the game to me always felt like that's half the appeal.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
today is an all time great day for leffen twitter

the absolute roller coaster of emotions

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mango Birthday Bash this weekend actually looks like a legit tournament. Lots of top 100 talent and Mango himself seems to be taking it seriously and not just getting drunk and bustering out. Thought we were basically done until Genesis but this looks like it's worth watching.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
10 EST is so early to start top 16. Just now saw that this had already started for the day.

And Hax over Hbox wtf

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Mang0/Plup is soo fucking good. I'm loving this team. That reverse beauty 3-0.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
damn of all the weekends this had to take place, it's the one weekend a year where I have a bunch of family stuff I can't get out of. or else I would have been there :(

hax over hbox is crazy

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Pulled the stream up thinking I probably missed a bunch of Melee top 8 and they are still playing Ultimate top 8. Feel like it's been going for 5 hours now, but it's probably at more like 3.

Top 8 finally starting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Swedish DQ'd for some reason. Missed it if they said why.

Xenoblade 2 music is cool.

They literally mentioned it after I posted this lol. School in the morning and had to catch his flight.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mango winning his own birthday tournament to finish out the year. Crowd popoff was great.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about ya'll, but Hax performance really surprised me at Mang0's BB. I haven't checked on him for a while, but his performance was great.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how close we are to a more proper Melee season and circuit. Been thinking about that lately.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
2019 was one of the best for sure

unknown.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My cousin's fiance brought his Switch and Smash Ultimate with him when they came down for Christmas. I hadn't played that since at least January, but after I cleanly 3 stocked my nephew with Lucina he wanted to play me, and I beat his main (Link) in our first game. I did pretty well against most of his characters except Piranha Plant while using Lucina. Anytime I changed characters things went downhill quick, and I never did figure out the plant.

I guess Melee transfers over a little. But so many things about modern Smash are so different it feels like playing a completely different game. Should have taken Melee to see how that went.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Another Genesis weekend is upon us!

Mango and Leffen are playing seriouslies right now. No webcam or commentary lol, they're both just going off on eachother:

It's like it's 2009 all over again!! :)

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing Nintendo is sponsoring the event, no worries about it being ruined by UCF and Slippi.

*groans*

Looks like smash.gg has fantasy for G7. Might look into making a team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Based on how the year ended, 40% Hbox, 30% Mango, 20% Leffen, 10% other.

Hbox is still the favorite going in to practically any set, even though the gap is closing.
Mango ended the year super hot, he appeared confident about 2020, so if he still has that fire he absolutely has a good chance.
Leffen was the best player against Hbox last year. If Leffen gets by Mango to play Hbox he has a solid chance.

Axe has to get by Hbox. Not likely. If he gets over that hurdle he has a decent shot against the rest of the field.
Zain has to get by Axe. Again, if he gets by that he has a decent shot against the others.
Wizzy plays Leffen. Totally doable, but Wizzy hasn't seemed as good as he was in the middle of last year.
Can't count out M2K, but he's seeded to play Mango -> Leffen -> Hbox -> rematch against one in GF. Even if he overperforms I can't imagine him winning that gauntlet and losers would be even more difficult.
IBDW has the potential to beat Hbox which would make the rest of top 8 very interesting, but I don't think he can take the tournament over the rest of the talent attending.

Even taller task for anyone seeded outside top 8.