• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Starts watching video

lol the crab

Realizes this is an hour and a half video

Oh god.

This swag bracket is hilarious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how Leffen got hit by that shadow ball. That was legit so slow lol.

Axe BBB grand finals seems like maybe the most apt grand finals for this.

Axe OP in swag bracket.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man Sami singles is great. Magi's comeback there was ridiculously hype

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Swag bracket seems like a promising concept, I might have to go back and watch that. Was it good?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sami Singles is neat. And yeah that Magi comeback was crazy, she was down 1-4.

Swag bracket seems like a promising concept, I might have to go back and watch that. Was it good?
I'd say watch any Pricent, BBB, and Axe sets. That probably covers all the ones that were worth watching. The good sets were good, the other sets just felt like "bad Melee" at times. I did miss some of the first round so maybe some of the first games were good.

Also Mango did a moonwalk charge shot against Plup but that set wasn't very good otherwise lol.

I just noticed the whole bench covered in Hot Hands, that's hilarious

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow didn't even know there was a second stream.

So let's see how many of these glitches are new to me.

Yoshi one - not new.
Mewtwo one - I think I've heard of it but didn't actually know what it was.
Kirby glitch - totally new to me.
Game & Watch shield - Also new!
Yoyo glitch - not new.
Shine mines - not new.
Invisible ceiling - of course.
Cape glitch - not new. I remember doing the Falcon Punch cape glitch in PM
Freeze glitches other than Ice Climbers - I think that's new to me? Seems familiar but I don't specifically remember it.
Black hole glitch - yep that's a thing.
Name entry glitch - another well known one.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
has everything been 3-0 so far?

Yup, seems like it. Everyone is playing ON right now.

Also, in somewhat Melee related news, the world record holder for Super Mario 64 120 star (Cheese) recently got the world record at an event... using an LED monitor. He says he plans to upgrade his setup at home going forward using a monitor and retrotink (which is lag free) because he feels there is no perceptible lag or difference from a CRT.

I feel like top level Mario 64 speedrunning is one of the few games comparable to competitive Melee when it comes to sheer precision, so if the world record holder feels like we can use monitors... to me that says a lot. I expect a lot of speedrunners to follow in his footsteps.

Obviously Mario 64 doesn't run at 60fps like Melee, but I honestly never thought I'd see the day that top level speedrunners of retro games would make the jump to monitors. I think the tech is finally where we need it to be, or its suuuuuuuper close.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Competitive Melee in general feels similar to speedrunning to me. You're constantly trying for perfect execution of some really tricky movements where a single frame or pixel off can mean losing a stock whether by the opponent taking advantage or SDing because you spaced/angled your recovery slightly wrong or messed up a perfect ledge dash.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Competitive Melee in general feels similar to speedrunning to me. You're constantly trying for perfect execution of some really tricky movements where a single frame or pixel off can mean losing a stock whether by the opponent taking advantage or SDing because you spaced/angled your recovery slightly wrong or messed up a perfect ledge dash.

Exactly, and it's no surprise that many Melee players are speedrunners and vice versa.

Another 3-0! That's like 6 in a row lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Fiction vs Pricent was the first non 3-0 (3-1 Fiction)

Gotta love spacies johning even when they win.

ZAIN IS ON SOME CRACK

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mango with the drop cancel bair. I don't even know if it was intentional but I feel represented at Summit lmao

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
wow ibdw after his set with zain thinks fox-marth is basically unwinnable with fox and feels he needs to learn another character to tackle the matchup

he looked amazing at times too (perfect marth killer ledge dash into pivot up smash was fucking DIRTY) but it's probably hard to watch the opponent do the same thing with... down tilt. run off side b. lol

30xx is real

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even consider how horribly toxic the chat must be when she's up. But Twitch chat is always completely terrible and that's why I don't miss it while using Streamlink.

I think the Fox Marth problem is more of a Fox Zain problem. Kind of like Hbox/Puff. When iBDW talks about there being "more Zains" I don't really think that's a major problem because Zain is one of the most ridiculously talented Melee players ever. That said, I don't blame him or Leffen for wanting to work out a counterpick. Zain destroys Fox, his opponents basically have to play perfect to win.

Lol at Leffen, got that Fox Marth energy going and attracted the Fox mains to the mic.

Last edited:

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I think the Fox Marth problem is more of a Fox Zain problem. Kind of like Hbox/Puff. When iBDW talks about there being "more Zains" I don't really think that's a major problem because Zain is one of the most ridiculously talented Melee players ever. That said, I don't blame him or Leffen for wanting to work out a counterpick. Zain destroys Fox, his opponents basically have to play perfect to win.
Yeah, it takes a player good enough to make people hate the matchup. Mew2King was doing it for a while, but it felt like players would figure him out and overcome that hurdle. Reminds me kinda sorta of when people started talking about Puff winning matchups, or realizing Yoshi and Pika weren't that bad, all mostly due to individual players.

I still think Fox Marth is even. <.< (But then a bad Marth player would say that.)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
who would have thought summit 9 would mark the death of fox mccloud

zain is goku, the foxes are vegeta

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see the Axe dating sim. "He was a pizza delivery man." "Did we order the sausage?"

I see where Toph was going there lmao, even if 2/3 other commentators didn't.

This is not where I expected this to go. "Damn you Bezos!"

Wizzy just about fell out of his chair lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
All the singles have been good for the most part. Mango Hax was awesome just now if you missed that. Lot fewer blowouts than yesterday. Zain tore up Leffen and IBDW and we got some serious Fox Marth rants/debate on stream.

The Zain dating sim was... a thing. It got weird lol.

Pricent beat Shroomed.

I really hope Magi wins this. She's 0-3 but all three have been close. And her Falco is sick.

Woo Magi. Commentators paid zero attention to that set though.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hbox has looked so clean, he's really earned his 15-0 in pools.

Glad Magi won that match, nothing better than Falco doing Falco things

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Axe Wizzy was great. Wish IBDW could have gotten in winners but I can't complain about None making it instead.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
BBB would be so good if he was slightly more optimal. Like go for kills when they are available instead of continuing the combo. Then mess up a little less.

Magi jumps over so many PS lasers it has to be intentional. Really cool counterplay.

Oh yes, Plup Mango should play Luigi Mario in that set. Would be great.

Melee triples. Wat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Commentators calling out how the dumb side b onto stage from ledge is. I feel represented on commentary too.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Plup almost threw that away.

Was sorta hoping Axe would take it since he actually practices this game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sheik has free big % at low and free kill off a grab at higher %
Its rough. I think hes probably the hardest to beat outside of hbox for him