• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wild seeing Mango do so well with all of those raw f-smashes. Such a goofy mix up

I'm not looking forward to Axe-Amsa, I feel like they always end up playing in losers

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If Plup wins this we're gonna be seeing a bunch of Fox players grinding Sheik on stream tomorrow.
I figure after all the talk this tournament at least someone was legitimately going to do it. If don't know if that 3-0 will make much difference, but it certainly won't dissuade anyone.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That Leffen/Fox skit ended exactly how I wanted it to, lol. Might be my favorite skit from this summit.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, besides the dating sims, that's been my favorite skit so far lol
If Plup wins this we're gonna be seeing a bunch of Fox players grinding Sheik on stream tomorrow.

Leffs been grinding Sheik recently, even during this Summit he's played against Zain on his stream practicing that MU.

So happy Plup is doing good, his solo Fox run at Genesis was a disaster but maybe we can see the payoff of that grind today. Plus his Sheik is just on point, such a fun character to watch.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Plup looking good right now. Think part of it is just Hbox not playing great though.

What the hell was the end of that stadium game?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Plup might have actually taken that set if he hadn't thrown away the stadium game. Super close game 4.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Melee's gonna be crazy this year. Everyone seems more motivated than they've been in years.

The current story lines are the most interesting they've been since Armada retired. People that have been in the top 10 for the better part of the last five years still gatekeeping, a bunch of ultra technical foxes on the come up, Zain becoming a giant hurdle for those foxes, old players coming back and having great success, new doc probably.

20th year about to be the best.

Oct 25, 2017
That grand final was hot.
Plup began so good, but I think his nerves were going wild when he realized he could do this.
Hbox smelled this and did his thing.

Also why do Axe and aMSa always have to face in LB, I hate to see one of them lose :(

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

SOMEONE'S dusting off the old Peach...

ba0a1ed78fc90a60760bdfd122a1571e731f208c.gifv

and from what I've seen so far he's kinda been destroying IBDW

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
2020 Foxes are trippin big time...Leff considering Sheik for Marth, Cody with this bad take and Fiction just complaining about everything. And yet we just had Plup come in 2nd with a crispy fox and no complaining. Axe is sick lol

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Hax is so all in on Fox that he's not about to bad mouth the character in any way lol

hilarious to see all the fox mains losing their shit now that there's not one, but TWO players better than them using characters that aren't fox. fox loses the matchup! yeah that's it! zain couldn't POSSIBLY just be outplaying us!

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a little of both. Zain is just a better player for the most part, and Marth-Fox slightly favors Marth.

If people want to try Sheik for the matchup instead I don't really blame them, IIRC they mentioned on commentary that Zain hasn't lost to a Fox since Leffen at FB4? That was nearly two years ago. Best case they have success and actually take the occasional set. Worst case, they don't have any more success than they did with Fox and drop Sheik after a failed experiment.

Nevermind, it was Leffen at GOML last year. Had to check that because nearly two years didn't seem right.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Next one listed on ssbwiki as a national is CEO Dreamland in three weeks. Don't know who is attending.

It's a regional but Dreamhack Anaheim is this weekend with a bunch of good west coast players.

Jun 22, 2019
Just saw the Summit finals, Plup's play against Hbox was beautiful.

I lost my shit when he went to the part of stadium you're never supposed to go to. Hypest thing I've seen in a long time. Was heartbreaking to see Puff continue to live past 150%. I can't help but wonder if that completely ridiculous scrap-out under the tree would have led to different results if Plup continued to defy common sense and kept at it.

Either way I had a blast with grand finals.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
a full blown pandemic the year melee gets its own tour is the most melee thing that could possibly happen :(

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Can you name the Melee tournament just by looking at the Top 8 results?"
www.sporcle.com

SSBM Top 8 Quiz

Can you name the Melee tournament just by looking at the Top 8 results?
I did WAY better than I expected to on that quiz. 27/35

I missed Press Start, Smash 'n Splash 5, Super Smash Con 2017, The Big House 8, MLG NY 2006, Super Smash Con 2019, Smash 'n Splash 2, and Mainstage 2019. But I think 2-3 of those might have been due to submission limitations since I might not have typed exactly what they wanted. Because I definitely had a general idea for a few of them but couldn't get them to take.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I actually started playing Rivals this past weekend. It absolutely is sick!

Won't be playing Melee against people for a long time, figured I should learn some other fighting game I can play from home. (Granted, Melee netplay exists and I could set that up. Might try.)

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Melee in what feels like ages. Had to shake off rust to get less bad. Beat up some CPUs for like 20 minutes.

This FD wall tech->wall jump would have been sick if I actually converted it into something.

And I actually Marth'd. I never manage to successfully Marth so that's something.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a similar boat. Picking up Sheik again after about ten years of playing Peach and sporadic at best activity.