• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anyone in this thread that's gonna shame you for getting Battlefielded. Spacies are tough dude.

Moreover, there are dudes on netplay that are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad. Like, really bad.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It was as much the sequence that led to it as much as getting battlefielded, lol. From the bair off the left platform onward was just hilariously bad autopilot. Bair the falling Marth, why? Dtilt his landing, why? Jump forward laser off stage for literally no reason, why?

I find the bad autopilot funny though. I SD so much, between bad autopilot and trying to do things I'm not good enough at (so many whiffed wall jump dairs).

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Summit media started today.

DcNVUoKVMAAz3oT.jpg:large

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up on Summit doubles in the last couple of days.

It's too bad Mang0 doesn't have a static teammate. I don't think there's anyone scarier in the two v one because it doesn't feel like he thinks he's at a disadvantage, it's like he just sees it as an opportunity to swag twice as hard. I'm not even saying that I want him to practice or take doubles seriously, it seems like he keeps up just fine with any top level spacie teammate with 0 doubles practice.

Or maybe it was just a really good weekend for the bird and I have selective memory.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think almost everyone was playing really well most of the weekend. But Hbox was streaky and Armada's Peach looked off. But the two best players having off days are what allowed things to get so crazy.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
That's 3 wins in a row M2K has over Armada. Never thought I would see the day.

Also someone find that man a controller that can do pivot f-smashes so he can start going Marth against Hbox too.

Also do we have a discord?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's 3 wins in a row M2K has over Armada. Never thought I would see the day.

Also someone find that man a controller that can do pivot f-smashes so he can start going Marth against Hbox too.

Also do we have a discord?

We used one during the GAF->Era move, but it hasn't really been active since.

Here's a key though:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be there more often but I work some weekends now and so far it's coincided with Summit and GomL.

The practice habit talk on discord has gotten me to pick the game back up again though and I can't move around, like at all. I'm perpetually facing the wrong way and full hopping way more than I want to. I'm trying to practice fundamentals, but I feel like I need to turn into one of these new age Marths that edge cancel everything and pivot fsmash kill spacies at 50% off up throw.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I said it before I think, but the discord works fine for things like live tournament discussion but for most other things I prefer the forum. Discord could also be useful for if anyone here played netplay.

Fell asleep after work during Smash 4 top 8 (insert whatever jokes you like) and missed the first 5 sets of Melee at Smash n Splash. I didn't see the set but Mango looked on and off this weekend, and I think Zain is probably even with or favored against even the very best spacies at this point.

Regarding my own play I feel like I've regressed, I'm missing short hops with Falco who is easy as hell to shop hop with, missing a lot of wavedashes and just jumping, and just generally playing worse. I wonder if messing with Legacy XP for a week or so instead of Melee just destroyed all my timing.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Ninja restreaming Melee and we are over 100k. The power of the most popular individual streamers is pretty amazing.

In terms of actually playing the game. I haven't had the chance to play a real human in a while so I've jumped back on netplay to get some real practice. Adjusting to the delay is taking a while. My play is so awkward ugh.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Armada turned it on big time for grand finals. He was playing so good.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
That was a pretty sick final 3 sets from Armada. Can't hate, he was a beast

And yeah, it was cool to see Ninja streaming it. Signal boosting is always nice!

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Ninja's chat, the vast majority was split between people who were clearly already Melee fans, and people who flat out didn't care at all and wanted him to do something else. But there was 10-20% that didn't seem to understand what was going on but were getting into it anyway and trying to learn what was going on.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja restreaming SnS was my first exposure to him. I happy that he's been so successful, and it's super cool of him to boost Melee, but damn, I don't think that stream is for me.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Super cool that they decided to bring back directional air dodging. Pretty sure I still saw a ledge trump somewhere though, and I know I saw ledge snap. And they didn't mention the quick turn around/dash dancing stuff... if those two things are still more like Smash 4, they're a bigger deal to me.

Regardless, I'm happy to see them trying to accommodate Melee players even in a small way. And for competitive players in general, great that they listened and did a Battlefield mode in every stage. The new game is gonna be great.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
real curious to see how the "damage scales with player count" turns out. presumably it's not just in free for all, so doubles is gonna get weiiiird.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Directional airdodging looks nice, but you get lag if you airdodge into the ground. The overall gameplay seemed about as fast as Smash 4. I imagine it's going to play quite similarly.

Like Smash 4, looks like it'll still be a really fun game to play, but not one I'll play competitively.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Heart sorta sank when I saw a ledge trump, I hate that mechanic more than anything else they changed in Smash 4. Cool that they nerfed rolling, cool that dash cancelling in a thing, but the overall pace looks a lot like Smash 4, which is sort of a bummer.

Knockback looks weird as hell though. Like your momentum just abruptly stops.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really seen it (caught bits and pieces of the direct on my phone) my assumption so far is that it's Smash 4+. Until that's proven wrong I probably won't pick it up. I'd rather just play Melee and get into Icons.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Heart sorta sank when I saw a ledge trump, I hate that mechanic more than anything else they changed in Smash 4. Cool that they nerfed rolling, cool that dash cancelling in a thing, but the overall pace looks a lot like Smash 4, which is sort of a bummer.

Knockback looks weird as hell though. Like your momentum just abruptly stops.
Yeah, I really really disliked Sm4sh ledge mechanics. The invincibility not refreshing was good, but ledge trump was bad for me.

I hope directional air dodging means freefall after one air dodge. I never liked that people could dodge then dodge again in the air. I'm sure we've probably seen one way or another by now, Treehouse played a few matches.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I saw Ganon move after a directional air dodge at the Treehouse thing. Seems like it might adopt the same properties as rolling where you become more vulnerable as you use it?

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, one thing that I forgot to mention was the Gamecube controller support

Could be possible to have Melee on Switch VC

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it's a faster smash 4

that invitational showed me everything I need to know barring some radical change between now and launch

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah im not even entering the hype cycle for this one

the smash series I fell in love with started with 64 and ended with melee.

brawl started something new and that continues to this day. but it's not for me.

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MrWiz thinking about dropping Melee at EVO next year. Would be a bad decision IMO. Melee brings in large numbers and has little overlap with Smash 4. He should just replace Smash 4 with Ultimate as most of the Smash 4 players will move on to Ultimate.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make sense to keep 4 and this game. It doesn't surprise me that Mr. Wiz still doesn't understand how the scene works.

Also, God damn it Lucky. I knew he misunderstood the rules as soon as I saw the character select. He destroyed the invitational for Mr. R, and we didn't get to see Fox, and I don't think his influence on the tournament could have been any funnier as a result.

I'm positive on most of the changes they made, and I'll definitely pick this up and try it out. I still want Melee HD more than ever though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Smash 4 is already on the ropes, having it and Ultimate would be like having Brawl and 4 instead of Melee.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why people would be confused I guess but it won't happen either way. People from the Smash 4/U community would speak up

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
It doesn't make sense to keep 4 and this game. It doesn't surprise me that Mr. Wiz still doesn't understand how the scene works.

Also, God damn it Lucky. I knew he misunderstood the rules as soon as I saw the character select. He destroyed the invitational for Mr. R, and we didn't get to see Fox, and I don't think his influence on the tournament could have been any funnier as a result.

I'm positive on most of the changes they made, and I'll definitely pick this up and try it out. I still want Melee HD more than ever though.

This kind of echoes my own thoughts on the game. The changes they gave mentioned so far are very good but the game still feels *off*. Improving movement options is definitely the thing that they to change the most to win me over.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

MrWiz thinking about dropping Melee at EVO next year. Would be a bad decision IMO. Melee brings in large numbers and has little overlap with Smash 4. He should just replace Smash 4 with Ultimate as most of the Smash 4 players will move on to Ultimate.

no idea where he's getting "melee players requiring 3/5 for top 64"

bro it's your tournament. everyone accepts 2/3 for evo.

it'll be smash u and melee next year.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Armada cleared that up because Mang0 was way less coherent when he told that story.

Melee is sick though.