dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

Been sitting on this stuff for a while, wondering what to do with it. Crossing our fingers. Hoping we could use it for something. Now, two years have passed and... we just want to share it. And this seems like a good place to do it.

This is just a handful of what we wrote for this game. It's "unfinished" audio. Not all of it screams Stranger Things. We acquired a lot of gear we'd never used before - much of this is us just working it out together. It's all mostly as it was when we wrote it, though I've spent considerable time the past month going through it all, picking the best bits and cleaning them up.

telltale never paid us for this, but you can if you want! and download it, too: https://www.patreon.com/antimowelles/posts

Animo & Welles had previously worked with Telltale on Minecraft Story Mode and its sequel, as well as The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us. Back when the company shut down in 2018, many employees were let go without severance and several people who were working with Telltale at the time received no payment or help. The video has more details on their specific situation, they wrote over seven hours of music for this.

You can support them via their Patreon.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is very good. As someone who is a huge fan of ST, I think this captures the vibe of the show's OST really well. It's a shame Telltale never got a chance to finish and release this game. Could've been interesting.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
God, I miss Telltale so much. A good amount of their output was genuinely fantastic and criminally underrated and overlooked.

OP
OP
dojo32161

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
That fucking sucks that they didn't get paid, but TT games are still for sale.
Kind of, some games are, some aren't. Depends on where the rights went to, the people who acquired Telltale and are currently working on Wolf 2 have the rights to both Batman games, Wolf, both Puzzle Agent games, Tales of Monkey Island and Hector: Badge of Carnage, Skybound got the rights to all of the Walking Dead games and 2K has the rights to TFTB (though they have not put it on storefronts, despite saying they would in early 2019), their other games... who knows where those went?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Considering how little affect the player had on narrative in some of their titles I would say they were overrated, to say nothing of the technical messes many of their games were.
And yet some (including myself) consider several of their games to be some of the most memorable of the last decade, even while conceding that other games have far better mechanics and technical polish.

May 19, 2020
And yet some (including myself) consider several of their games to be some of the most memorable of the last decade, even while conceding that other games have far better mechanics and technical polish.
I'm not denying that they were memorable games, only that some of the narrative freedom that was central to the marketing of these titles was totally overstated on top of technical issues that plagued Telltale all the way to the end.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Considering how little effect the player had on narrative in some of their titles I would say they were overrated, to say nothing of the technical messes many of their games were.
The technical issues criticism I agree with, but I never much cared for the narrative freedom aspect. I actually prefer the "this is the same coloring book, you just get to color it differently" approach, but that's just a personal preference. I do remember the games, early on at least, being marketed as what they were criticized for not being, so I get it. Either way, they were getting better at that right before they shut down. Some of the different paths you can take in the second season of Batman were pretty insane.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not denying that they were memorable games, only that some of the narrative freedom that was central to the marketing of these titles was totally overstated on top of technical issues that plagued Telltale all the way to the end.
Sure, I don't see the narrative choices as having a huge impact in larger perspective of the games
But choosing who lives/dies at several points can be pretty impactful.

I guess I never saw the games as being that highly regarded before I played them, so I never came into them expecting something incredible.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The technical issues criticism I agree with, but I never much cared for the narrative freedom aspect. I actually prefer the "this is the same coloring book, you just get to color it differently" approach, but that's just a personal preference. I do remember the games, early on at least, being marketed as what they were criticized for not being, so I get it. Either way, they were getting better at that right before they shut down. Some of the different paths you can take in the second season of Batman were pretty insane.

Problem is that telltale disguised it very terribly.

There's tons of games where your choices don't make any real difference, but the tell tale ones are the only ones that ever irked me.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I totally want to support the patreon to download the tracks - does anyone know if they are all up day one? Like, can I subscribe for a month and grab them? Or are they going to trickle them out over time?

I kinda don't want to do a patreon mad grab and unsubscribe - I'd rather they release/sell the album on Bandcamp so I can legit give them some money for their work.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Incredible work here, just beautiful stuff, even as someone who has zero interest in Stranger Things. Long live the incredible work of all of those who worked at TT and may TT itself burn in hell.

OP
OP
dojo32161

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I totally want to support the patreon to download the tracks - does anyone know if they are all up day one? Like, can I subscribe for a month and grab them? Or are they going to trickle them out over time?

I kinda don't want to do a patreon mad grab and unsubscribe - I'd rather they release/sell the album on Bandcamp so I can legit give them some money for their work.
It's only the tracks on YouTube that they've released, and I don't know if they have any plans to release more of them, or if they can even sell them, how do you handle the rights to music to a game that got cancelled?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
It's only the tracks on YouTube that they've released, and I don't know if they have any plans to release more of them, or if they can even sell them, how do you handle the rights to music to a game that got cancelled?

Good point. They are effectively selling them by "not" selling them on Patreon lol. But they did say they were never paid for the work so if they are releasing the tracks themselves even for free that means they have ownership and not TT or the new entity who acquired TT. Otherwise releasing something for free that could potential be sold by another owner could have legal ramifications.

Of course I'm no lawyer and have no inside knowledge of this situation, but would be nice to have the tracks. And seven hours of recordings, I wonder how much of that is in a state where it could be released...