• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Always wanted an RTS in the Hyboria age (A Conan Total War was always a dream of mine) It's a competent dev, and a decent publisher so I'm reasonably excited.

ss_fb780f2a952ab2c9262c03c55df5b16ab1e5b23f.600x338.jpg

ss_3636a4e7db0a12390c93a2eee0aea112b564fca8.600x338.jpg

ss_02664b50ce81d3723db833bf35a665a9affd660d.1920x1080.jpg

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that sounds pretty cool ... My poor, old PC probably couldn't handle it, but the co-op sounds fun

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know who the Golem/God in the trailer is suppose to be? Or is it just a made up character for this game in specific?

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
not loving the giant animated statue or the huge spiders running amok in broad daylight and shit, but im always game for more Conan on the off-chance that we'll get a good, AA single-player game out of it one day

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
not loving the giant animated statue or the huge spiders running amok in broad daylight and shit, but im always game for more Conan on the off-chance that we'll get a good, AA single-player game out of it one day
That's why I love Conan. It's the dying age of magic and monsters. There still there, but they only haunt forgotten ruins and decaying strongholds.

In the original stories, Conan's first reaction when he see's an ancient horror or a powerful wizard is to run away.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it actual base-building and resource-gathering like the C&C games?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's why I love Conan. It's the dying age of magic and monsters. There still there, but they only haunt forgotten ruins and decaying strongholds.

In the original stories, Conan's first reaction when he see's an ancient horror or a powerful wizard is to run away.
But on this note...I'll take unit diversity over faithfulness any day.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Graphics are always going to take a hit when you have to render hundreds, if not thousands of units at a time. It looks fine for an RTS title.

Nov 1, 2017
There is still time for things to be improved as well, it's not like it's out next week so they could tweak and fix things to look nicer.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see Petroglyph being given projects like this. Grey Goo didn't seem to be that successful but it was a good game and I'm glad those old C&C guys can continue to make stuff in this genre.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017

same. i prefer my magic and monsters rare, mysterious, and not to be trifled with. not as a unit to be fielded alongside grunts and what have you.

either way, i... well, i probably wont play it because i dont have a working PC atm. and i buy/play games so rarely due to time and money that if it came down to it, this is low on the list. but still, good for them!

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's nice to see Petroglyph being given projects like this. Grey Goo didn't seem to be that successful but it was a good game and I'm glad those old C&C guys can continue to make stuff in this genre.

Grey Goo was unbelievable so I concur that it's great to see Petroglyph being attached to this project.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did you ever see Total War Warhammer in action?
I have a combined 1600 hours in both TWW games, and there both the biggest graphics hogs ever made (and I say that as a massive fan of both of them). Even with a beast of a computer, once more then four thousands units appear on the screen the game is going to to take a massive performance hit, on anything over high. The game looks amazing, but it pays for it by having horrible performance.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a combined 1600 hours in both TWW games, and there both the biggest graphics hogs ever made (and I say that as a massive fan of both of them). Even with a beast of a computer, once more then four thousands units appear on the screen the game is going to to take a massive performance hit, on anything over high. The game looks amazing, but it pays for it by having horrible performance.

Depends on the rig I guess. I had some problems with my old PC on relatively high settings but only in really absurdly big battles, which are few and far in between. WIth my new high end PC I have no problems at all with everything set to the max.

It kinda sucks you need a good PC to enjoy the game, but goddamn if it doesn't come close to fulfilling that fantasy of playing a Lord of the Rings movie style battle in full scale by yourself. And imo Conan needs something like this as well.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Awesome, Hyboria is one of my favorite fantasy realms, and Petroglyph are RTS legends so definite day one.

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the rig I guess. I had some problems with my old PC on relatively high settings but only in really absurdly big battles, which are few and far in between. WIth my new high end PC I have no problems at all with everything set to the max.

It kinda sucks you need a good PC to enjoy the game, but goddamn if it doesn't come close to fulfilling that fantasy of playing a Lord of the Rings movie style battle in full scale by yourself. And imo Conan needs something like this as well.

TWW units (quality, quantity and animations) are great, but the landscapes are poor. The environments are highly repetitive ground textures over the bumpy terrain + a few scattered objects. For that game, it works, because it is only about units clashing. The game doesn't look good from the far for me, and 3vs3/4vs4 never runs smoothly.

For the game like Conan, you need to have full map, bases, workers etc. There is much more going on than just one army clashing with another. The assets themselves have to be simplified, you cannot have massive structures like castle walls in TWW, you need something that players can use like Legos. This Conan game is just not going after replicating the TW experience, it is going to be more traditional, Stronghold/AoE-like style/camera/controls type of the game. They are Billions was super successful with RTS PVE design, so the Conan is smart to NOT go into the PVP RTS financial slaughterhouse.

I have a personal criticism that TWW is trash online. Even picking a faction is stupid because it is a lot like rock-paper-scissors and the opponent can just counter-pick. It is simply not built for MP: the map is just nothing. Go, fight, I guess? (but also should you fight in the community tournament, there is a list of 20 genteman's rules to make the game actually interesting and balanced.) The AI was never meant for co-op, it doesn't do anything interesting, and there is always a point half-way into the round where you know you have won the game, and just mopping them down. I would rather have much lower visual fidelity, but much more engaging scenario design.

Plus, CA obviously has more experience, more funding, more resources which they use to re-build the same core game over and over again. I doubt the Conan game is going to be more than $30.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Not a big fan of the graphic style they went with, but if the gameplay is good I'm in.

I think if you are doing desert maps a more cartoony style fits better. This makes it all feel rather bland.

Also, the units don't really pop. Which would make it feel much more alive.

But this is on my list.