• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
The script probably was just bad. If you told me the premise of Jurassic World, I would have been super excited but upon seeing the film you can tell that Trevorrow is not a good writer (although he has interesting ideas). I remember Trevorrow talking about how the film is about consumerism and how people are always chasing the next big thing. What happens when dinosaurs are real and all of a sudden people don't care anymore? The I-Rex or whatever it was called. That's a cool idea! None of that shit is anyway properly conveyed in the movie and that discussion is sidelined for dumb crap. The idea of a theme park with dinosaurs opening is cool too! Too bad we spend most of the time walking around in the jungle again...
No way the script was worse than what JJ and Terrio delivered

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Neither are really satisfying from that end, but making Kylo a complete unrepentant jerk off and ending the Skywalker lineage with that is a worse look for them.
Well, he's more of a "Solo" than a "Skywalker"...

... And it would also be a good chance to reveal that Luke may have met a certain red-haired girl at one point, of whom hope still remained following that union.
original.gif

You know...$100 says that Disney didn't want to include the Coruscant bit about the citizens/defected Stormtroops revolting and fighting back because China would have had a problem with it.

... I can believe that.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I mean this is all just speculation anyways at the end of the day. There is a possibility it was worse though right? I mean seriously go read the screenplays of the Jurassic World movies. They are just as insultingly stupid as TROS. Especially Fallen Kingdom.

Trevorrow after all the development Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard has in the first movie just reverted them back to how they were in the beginning with this will they won't they crap. The film is just as messy with the whole story straight up getting tossed aside halfway through to become a cheap slasher.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Goddamn that concept art looks so cool. Really makes me wonder what could have been.. I yearn for a conclusion that makes more sense than what we got.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Say what you will about the leaked script and concept art but Colin Trevorrow is a hack (albeit a rich and successful one) and this film wouldn't have turned out any better than TROS.

This third film was always doomed.

A wet fart of an end to a poor trilogy.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish I could get a bunch of these shots framed.

If anything, they are all beautiful. The shot of Hux killing himself and the massive First Order Star Destroyer over Coruscant are my favorites.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is all just speculation anyways at the end of the day. There is a possibility it was worse though right? I mean seriously go read the screenplays of the Jurassic World movies. They are just as insultingly stupid. Especially Fallen Kingdom.

They are stupid but earnest and honest. They serve the purpose of making a great Jurassic Park adventure. Even if one disagrees with the direction the series went, the script went all out on it and made it matter. TROS didn't have any of that.

The main issue with Trevorrow is his bland directing (compared JW to Fallen Kingdom), that would have been an issue with his Star Wars movie. Basically Lucas 2.0.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the leaked script and concept art but Colin Trevorrow is a hack (albeit a rich and successful one) and this film wouldn't have turned out any better than TROS.

This third film was always doomed.

A wet fart of an end to a poor trilogy.

Yeah I basically agree with that sentiment.

This whole trilogy was kinda doomed anyway, I never really bought that Leia's son would turn to the Dark Side that easily or they wouldn't be far more careful in his training and basically all versions are some rehashing of the OT story. He has to turn bad because there needs to be a story to milk more money from.

The story Star Wars needed to tell was basically told in Episode III (poorly, but still) + the OT and now they're just going in circles.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
We talking about the same dude who decided to have Bryce Dallas Howard sensually smearing dino feces all over herself?

Be as disappointed as you want with how RoS turned out. Let's not pretend Trevorrow, writer of such fine films as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and director of The Book of Henry, was going to deliver some amazing finale to the Star Wars saga...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The art books are full of interesting things that were way better than the end product.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
They are stupid but earnest and honest. They serve the purpose of making a great Jurassic Park adventure. Even if one disagrees with the direction the series went, the script went all out on it and made it matter. TROS didn't have any of that.
2nd movie resets the central characters and makes them go through the same storyline again. Their romance also is equally unearned and uninteresting. The film introduced a pointless new side character that is supposed to be "comedic relief." All he does is scream all the time. He has no arc or relevance in the story.

The villains is just some evil white dude businessman that twirls his mustache like no tomorrow except he has no charisma at all and doesn't chew the scenery. The film abandons the central storyline that was set up in the first half to become a lazy monster slasher in the 2nd half.

The film is equally as dumb like TROS with the dinosaur auction house and the sea monster scene in the beginning.

Also, this guy can not write meaningful characters that interact with each other well. Listen, I don't love TROS. However, I did enjoy the character interactions between the cast and JJ nails it with the energy he brings to them. Who the hell remembers anything from the JW cast?

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
I don't care how crappy this could or would have been, this already looks 1000X more interesting than the Rise of Skywalker. It doesn't seem like rehash of previous movies and dual lighter saber Ray is already way better and makes the most sense. Now I'm just sad of what could have been.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I'm just saying the ideas Trevorrow has are somewhat interesting but he's shown time and time again he never fully capitalizes on those ideas. He talked at length about the I-Rex and how it was a product of consumerism and the ever increasing expectations of the masses. He promised a full exploration of the idea of a dinosaur theme park. None of that shit stuck! Also, character work is significantly worse than JJ.

From the premise, you expect JW to be a completely fresh film but it ended up being just derivative and uninteresting.

Once again, everyone WATCH FALLEN KINGDOM. The premise is sound enough but the movie is just as dumb as TROS with ZERO redeeming qualities. At least Rey, Poe, and Finn are fun together and there's a few neat scenes. FK is so damn bad...

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Occupied coruscant being reduced to a burned out husk full of scavengers doesn't work for me.

this is a planetwide city that likely has a population in the hundreds of trillions.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
The script probably was just bad. If you told me the premise of Jurassic World, I would have been super excited but upon seeing the film I was just taken aback and how you could make such a good premise boring and unsinspired. I remember Trevorrow talking about how the film is about consumerism and how people are always chasing the next big thing. What happens when dinosaurs are real and all of a sudden people don't care anymore? The I-Rex or whatever it was called. That's a cool idea! None of that shit is anyway properly conveyed in the movie and that discussion is sidelined for dumb crap. The idea of a theme park with dinosaurs opening is cool too! Too bad we spend most of the time walking around in the jungle again...

^^

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame. I wonder how long the staying power the rides at Disney will have without some kind of refresh to the props. Can't see anyone wanting to see the last trilogy characters in the rides beyond maybe another year they are so forgettable.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Occupied coruscant being reduced to a burned out husk full of scavengers doesn't work for me.

this is a planetwide city that likely has a population in the hundreds of trillions.

I can kind of buy if you consider the idea of what could of happened during the reign of The Empire and First Order. Wouldnt be surpised if there were mass killings by the empire and first order as a show of force. Along with mass exoduses of people who managed to get out one way or another.

Basically I can see it if Coruscant started to decay shortly after the order 66 carryout and not after the brief 2 second cameo in the remastered verison of ROTJ.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Coruscant lost its status as center of galactic politics after the end if the GCW and was hit with gigantic economic penalties as it was forced to pay out galaxy-wide reparations. It's probably been in a downward spiral for 30 years.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
What's this? A war in a Star Wars movie?

7gPPpGv.jpg

An actual revolution in a movie about tyranny and the fight against it?

How dare you? Too real and too epic.

Let the dead speak instead.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Treverrow would've nailed it (I dislike the two most recent Jurassic Park movies), but I'm more baffled at how JJ and Terrio threw so much of this out. There's good ideas here that follow up threads from TLJ, but I guess the mandate was "forget the past, kill it if you have to".

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This bums me out. It might have ended up being bad but at least it would have had some new ideas.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I mean this is all just speculation anyways at the end of the day. There is a possibility it was worse though right? I mean seriously go read the screenplays of the Jurassic World movies. They are just as insultingly stupid as TROS. Especially Fallen Kingdom.

Trevorrow after all the development Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard has in the first movie just reverted them back to how they were in the beginning with this will they won't they crap. The film is just as messy with the whole story straight up getting tossed aside halfway through to become a cheap slasher.
I HATE Jurassic World. I found it insulting. but everything here sounds better than the film that came out.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anyway KK didn't think the JJ script was bad, I just think delaying the movie wasn't thought to be possible and it was just too late and they were stuck with what they had.
100% this is what happened. I remember reading in a interview with JJ's editor that KK wanted JJ to spend more time in the editing room but he couldn't because he was so exhausted from the shoot.

KK went with the safe choice.. but JJ/Terrio delivered an even shittier script and Iger didn't want to delay.....as if 2019 wasn't already a overkill in terms of Disney boxoffice.

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
100% this is what happened. I remember reading a interview with JJ's editor that KK wanted JJ to spend more time in the editing room but he couldn't because he was so exhausted from the shoot.

KK went with the safe choice.. but JJ/Terrio delivered an even shittier script and Iger didn't want to delay.....as if 2019 wasn't already a overkill in terms of Disney boxoffice.

The editor has said they where editing on the spot as the finished filming scenes.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The art and the summary of the script (and even the name of the movie) makes TROS look like some shitty fan movie.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
TROS wasn't that bad, or boring, it was just uninteresting and with a lack of inspiration.

These conepts just needed to be serviceable enough to be better than TROS.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching The Clone Wars and the Father on Mortis grabbing the lightsaber is basically the Luke concept art.

latest

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watching The Clone Wars and the Father on Mortis grabbing the lightsaber is basically the Luke concept art.

latest
Lol, I actually hate that concept and hate the Mortis arc in Clone Wars. It's sort of the epitome of how they've taken the force and the Jedi stuff way too far, and it went from something like...believing in Santa to how Santa exists in the Marvel Universe and he's a super powerful mutant. It's just weird and too fantastical and too much. Super-powerful force beings that turn into giant flying creatures and who represent the dark side and light side etc. etc. - nah. I prefer my force with less literal fantasy and more mysticism.

Mortis would be awesome had Dave Filoni not confirmed "all of this literally happened". It's like a creationist view of the force or something lol.

Nov 8, 2017
Lol, I actually hate that concept and hate the Mortis arc in Clone Wars.

Yeah and the related concept that they introduced in... TLJ? That says that "As you rise in the force, so too your rival grows in poewr" or whatever it is Snoke says, I also hate that. It's basically saying to the audience "yeah so it doesn't matter who wins because the cosmic balance scale will fart out someone new who's super strong even if all the good or bad guys die".

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and the related concept that they introduced in... TLJ? That says that "As you rise in the force, so too your rival grows in poewr" or whatever it is Snoke says, I also hate that. It's basically saying to the audience "yeah so it doesn't matter who wins because the cosmic balance scale will fart out someone new who's super strong even if all the good or bad guys die".
Yeah. I don't mind it to explain the events of the ST, but that's only because they exist in canon and I at least appreciate that there's an explanation lol. Either way though, it just points out that the ST had some deep-rooted issues from the beginning, basically.

The whole "balance of the force" and "chosen one" shit was always a problem, to me. Why does this need to be a thing?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Concept art always looks amazing.

TROS concept probably looks just as cool. That's just how concept art is.

From what we know of Trevorrow's script, it doesn't sound better than what we got. People are just approaching it with a grass is greener mentality.

If he stayed on and they made his movie, everyone would have been shitting on it from the jump - saying Duel of the Fates is an unoriginal name and nostalgia pandering, etc.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just can't understand why Rey didn't get a double bladed lightsaber... Like it was so so obvious that should happen, and that Ghost Luke should be fucking with Kylo all the time.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TROS concept probably looks just as cool. That's just his concept art is.

From what we know of Trevorrow's script, it doesn't sound better than what we got. People are just approaching it with a grass is greener mentality.

If he stayed on and they made his movie, everyone would have been shitting on it from the jump - saying Duel of the Fates is an unoriginal name and nostalgia pandering, etc.
Agreed. I've said this numerous times on here and to friends, whoever - everyone going into Episode 9 had the perfect vision of how this all should've gone, and it's not going to be anyone's perfect vision. I was literally part of a conversation where one guy said "I actually loved the Rey/Palpatine reveal but hated the whole Ben redemption thing" and the other guy said "I feel the exact opposite to both of those points" lol.

This being said, I know way more people who loved it than who didn't - and that's not an exaggeration. I think of 10 people I know who saw it, only two resemble the discussions on here whereas the rest were in tears, walked out with huge smiles, loved every minute of it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

TROS concept probably looks just as cool. That's just his concept art is.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen a lot of RoS art and I saw the movie and even knowing that this alternative movie likely would've had plenty of problems, I do still think it engages my imagination and makes more sense with the themes the prior films were embracing, thus I'm more interested in what it could have done versus what we actually received.

I'd certainly pay to see this "alternate ending" done as a graphic novel or something.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The script probably was just bad.

While we probably won't know the full story of this for years - I have a feeling this was the case, combined with the Book of Henry's reception making the bosses nervous. I suspect if Disney hadn't put themselves into a corner with the release date, we would have got a much better movie that perhaps might have utilised a lot of the interesting ideas and imagery on display here.

...having said that, I'm sure not all of the bad ideas in the finished product were entirely down to the time pressure either.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The concept arts are almost always better than the actual thing...
This isn't a normal case of an idea that didn't make it in, though; these are ideas from a completely different script from a completely different director for a completely different movie with completely different ideas. That's what makes it more than just "oh, the concept art looked better".

Like, there are many differences in, say, Avengers Endgame's concept art and the final film, but it still shows most of the major beats, and people were still happy enough with the final film that any original ideas are considered more of curiosities than missed opportunities.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

TROS concept probably looks just as cool. That's just how concept art is.

Lol. Why do people feel the need to go out of their way to explain what concept art is to posters on a videogame/pop culture enthusiasts forum. People know that concept art isnt 1:1 storyboards for whats going to be filmed. TROS/Duel of Fates concept art looked great because there was no Palpatine in it and Supreme Leader Kylo was front and center as the antagonist. Trevorrow's script sounds better than what we got because it doesn't have the corpse of Palpatine grafted to its story regressing multiple characters arcs.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a normal case of an idea that didn't make it in, though; these are ideas from a completely different script from a completely different director for a completely different movie with completely different ideas. That's what makes it more than just "oh, the concept art looked better".

Like, there are many differences in, say, Avengers Endgame's concept art and the final film, but it still shows most of the major beats, and people were still happy enough with the final film that any original ideas are considered more of curiosities than missed opportunities.
IMO that makes it even more ridiculous when people say "this would've been way better". Cool concept art doesn't always amount to a cool movie, and the fact that he was let go because his script was supposedly shit, and looking at his track record - to me it exemplifies even MORE that cool concept art doesn't amount to a good movie. Sure, lack of Palpatine might've been better and a Battle of Coruscant could've been great - but there's a possibility the script was far worse than what we got with TROS.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I actually hate that concept and hate the Mortis arc in Clone Wars. It's sort of the epitome of how they've taken the force and the Jedi stuff way too far, and it went from something like...believing in Santa to how Santa exists in the Marvel Universe and he's a super powerful mutant. It's just weird and too fantastical and too much. Super-powerful force beings that turn into giant flying creatures and who represent the dark side and light side etc. etc. - nah. I prefer my force with less literal fantasy and more mysticism.

Mortis would be awesome had Dave Filoni not confirmed "all of this literally happened". It's like a creationist view of the force or something lol.

So first the Force was made too scientific and now it's too fantastical.

They just can't win can ya.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep me away from scripts but I just thought ex storm troopers who rebel could go by the name stormies :D