• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a really great example of "certain things shouldn't be over-explained" - in this case, no matter which direction that explanation goes in.

Wouldn't say it's overly-explained. If anything the Mortis arc left way more questions than answers and added to the larger than life aspect of the force.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is all just speculation anyways at the end of the day. There is a possibility it was worse though right? I mean seriously go read the screenplays of the Jurassic World movies. They are just as insultingly stupid as TROS. Especially Fallen Kingdom.

Trevorrow after all the development Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard has in the first movie just reverted them back to how they were in the beginning with this will they won't they crap. The film is just as messy with the whole story straight up getting tossed aside halfway through to become a cheap slasher.
No way it would have been worse than ROS unless Rey became Shmi or something outrageous.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IMO that makes it even more ridiculous when people say "this would've been way better". Cool concept art doesn't always amount to a cool movie, and the fact that he was let go because his script was supposedly shit, and looking at his track record - to me it exemplifies even MORE that cool concept art doesn't amount to a good movie. Sure, lack of Palpatine might've been better and a Battle of Coruscant could've been great - but there's a possibility the script was far worse than what we got with TROS.
Again, a hypothetical. All I know is the ideas and leaked script have been more positively received so far than the actual movie we got. Maybe it would have been worse, but on a purely conceptional level I will be in agreement that it is a superior pitch compared to the mess we ultimately got.

As always, execution is everything, but RoS is a very low hurdle to clear for many at this point.

The dead speak and they fly now and all that.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't say it's overly-explained. If anything the Mortis arc left way more questions than answers and added to the larger than life aspect of the force.
I guess, either way you slice it, it was too much for me.

It was like the Star Wars version of when Elrond, Sarumon and Galadriel get super powers in the Hobbit and fight the Nazgul ghosts. It was cool to watch, but....where's the groundedness that we saw in the original trilogy?

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, a hypothetical. All I know is the ideas and leaked script have been more positively received so far than the actual movie we got. Maybe it would have been worse, but on a purely conceptional level I will be in agreement that it is a superior pitch compared to the mess we ultimately got.

As always, execution is everything, but RoS is a very low hurdle to clear for many at this point.

The dead speak and they fly now and all that.
I mean, you have to keep the "Grass is always greener" mentality in mind, here. I guarantee you that had this movie come out instead and the execution of these ideas was shitty, leaked JJ concept art would've set the fanbase ablaze as well. If the Battle of Coruscant was lame and weird, and people found concept art of an Ancient Sith Planet and all that shit - people would've swooned.

Case and point, you referenced two things in the script/screenplay, not things that would've been in the concept art lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I guess, either way you slice it, it was too much for me.

It was like the Star Wars version of when Elrond, Sarumon and Galadriel get super powers in the Hobbit and fight the Nazgul ghosts. It was cool to watch, but....where's the groundedness that we saw in the original trilogy?

The force was never grounded? It was always an highly mystical element that's extent was never truly known. Vader himself remarks how the power of the Death Star is nothing compared to that of the Force.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The force was never grounded? It was always an highly mystical element that's extent was never truly known. Vader himself remarks how the power of the Death Star is nothing compared to that of the Force.
I honestly can't tell if you know what I mean and are just playing devil's advocate or if I really need to get into the weeds of what I'm trying to say here...

There's a difference between Vader saying that and a room full of Imperials rolling their eyes to what happens in the Mortis arc lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't tell if you know what I mean and are just playing devil's advocate or if I really need to get into the weeds of what I'm trying to say here...

There's a difference between Vader saying that and a room full of Imperials rolling their eyes to what happens in the Mortis arc lol.

I guess then explain what you mean by the force being "grounded" in the OT. Was it how it was used? How it was explained?

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess then explain what you mean by the force being "grounded" in the OT. Was it how it was used? How it was explained?
Do you really not see the difference between how the Force is described, used, etc. - in the OT, vs how it's been used in story arcs like Mortis, the World Beyond Worlds in Rebels, and that sort of thing?

It went from being an allegory for faith/religion that certain people can get mild super powers through vs having people bend reality, possibly time travel etc., and have it be the answer for literally everything in the SW universe.

Even GL didn't really abuse to the point that these other things have.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Case and point, you referenced two things in the script/screenplay, not things that would've been in the concept art lol.
To be pedantic, I don't mind "the dead speak" - but I do have a problem with Palpatine being back, so I would have disliked that concept.
And "they fly now" is apparently some big revelation for the crew... even though jetpacks have been a thing for troopers for ages, so the concept art would have done nothing for me whatsoever if they showed it.
tumblr_n52kwasp6W1r0j0yso1_400.gif

The issue of Palpatine's return and flying troopers are merely condensed to the scripted lines that absolutely fail to sell us on the concept.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
C1eKUIv.jpg

YsUaHaE.jpg

Is part of the city upside down like Solaris in Xenogears?

That's the citadel that the First Order built on the planet. Near the end of the movie, it's revealed to be a giant Star Destroyer that lifts off as war rages below it. I believe the second piece is it taking off.

Edit: I remember reading this information somewhere but now I can't find it. So take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
we could've had a double bladed staff saber and instead we got a throwaway pissaber that's on screen for like 2 seconds

fuck Disney bruh

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really not see the difference between how the Force is described, used, etc. - in the OT, vs how it's been used in story arcs like Mortis, the World Beyond Worlds in Rebels, and that sort of thing?

It went from being an allegory for faith/religion that certain people can get mild super powers through vs having people bend reality, possibly time travel etc., and have it be the answer for literally everything in the SW universe.

Even GL didn't really abuse to the point that these other things have.

For me the Force in the new stuff is just an expansion of all of that. The moment the Force allowed powerful enough users to be able to keep themselves together after death meant all bets were off. Persisting after death itself is a huge jump.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine: Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion in white stormtrooper armour wielding a lightsaber like General Kenobi from the Clone Wars.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Ah shit, as emotionally divorced as I try to be from post-'83 Star Wars this (really cool) art just makes me depressed.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Since the movie and the story won't change now I hope they will make a game with this alternative storyline sometimes in the future.

At very least a Total War: Finn's Storm

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm currently getting an art commission of almost exactly that concept for him
LN5cB5j.png

There's no point in me rehashing everything I dislike about TROS, but it is stuff like this that makes my dislike of the film go from frustration to resentment. They had one last run with all of these characters and instead of interesting, thought-provoking stuff like this we got… yea

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there other concept arts leaked a few weeks ago with the giant spider thing? Can someone link me the thread to this? I can't find it.

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's not quite Obi-Wan/Jedi enough like the above art, but my quick take on it...

Ov0j6Oi.jpg

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks cooler and has sooome of its own identity at least. Still, I think that rumoured leak script would've probably been received poorly as well tbh

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This is generating so much good will for Trevorrow that I almost wonder if he leaked this artwork himself. Him not getting to make his movie is turning out to be a blessing in disguise :P

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

That's good about R2, he must never die.

This is where both TLJ and TROS botched it. He should have been going towards that in TLJ, with TROS being full on leading.

He was going towards that in TLJ. He went from running away from the fight to charging head first into a mini Death Star. Nothing was stopping TROS from having Finn lead a stormtrooper uprising, I mean it was in the concepts for the original version of Episode IX. Even TROS flirts with the idea by introducing the pointless character of Jannah. If they hadn't wasted time on an hour of trinket hunting maybe we could have got some character work instead.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's good about R2, he must never die.

He was going towards that in TLJ. He went from running away from the fight to charging head first into a mini Death Star. Nothing was stopping TROS from having Finn lead a stormtrooper uprising, I mean it was in the concepts for the original version of Episode IX. Even TROS flirts with the idea by introducing the pointless character of Jannah. If they hadn't wasted time on an hour of trinket hunting maybe we could have got some character work instead.
It's just a repeat of TFA though, Finn was never just a coward, the dude charged Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel. Noone would be surprised if you told them Finn would charge in the FO army after his arc in TFA. The problem is Poe got the leadership arc while Finn repeated his arc slightly differently. It's wasted time.