• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Concerning Spider-man's pro-NYPD/surveillance state messages

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Spiderman this week and I can't get over the fact that it completely normalizes a dystopian surveillance state wherein the NYPD (with the help of Oscorp) has some of the most advanced and invasive surveillance towers spread all throughout Manhattan. And you, as Spiderman, not only help to repair it but you also extensively use it.

I can't help but feel a little gross over the fact that Spiderman is complicit in this type of surveillance state and that it's a feature of the game.

Deadspin published an article with similar concerns here: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/they-turned-spider-man-into-a-damn-cop-and-it-sucks-1828944087

Oct 27, 2017
Hilariously J Jonah is pretty on point with some of his complaints about this version of New York despite his portrayal, this being one of those things.

Oct 25, 2017
fact of the matter is this technology does exist and is being used that way. Isn't this the issue Fox had w/ Batman in the last Dark Knight movie?

at this point I'm sure Spidey is thinking "well if it's going to be used I might as well piggyback off it to do my job better."

I mean, if the towers keeps the city safe in the Marvel world, I'm all for it.
NYC already have tons of cameras everywhere you go, but I don't mind it because it's all public spaces anyway.
Sadly Manhattan is a preferred target for terrorists nowadays, so the extra precautions are necessary in my opinion.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I also play a ton of games that have you shooting people. Thankfully, I can distinguish the difference between reality from entertainment.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a communication network that links all alarm, 911, and traffic systems to spot crimes. It's not a surveillance system thats spying on you on your apartment.

Also it's a comic book video game.

Oct 27, 2017
surveillance? I thought that network was about communication between police, and restoring it allowed precincts to communicate about where a crime is being committed/where help is needed.

I thought spiderman just listened in on this. At least that seems to be how it functions as a gameplay mechanic

Oct 25, 2017
It’s a great game but Spiderman is a Fucking narc. Let me go around taking pictures of people’s cars so I can report them to the EPA! I’m shocked if later in the game there isn’t a mission where you are taking out unlicensed hot dog vendors.

Oct 25, 2017
surveillance? I thought that network was about communication between police, and restoring it allowed precincts to communicate about where a crime is being committed/where help is needed.

I thought spiderman just listened in on this. At least that seems to be how it functions as a gameplay mechanic
It's akin to police radio scanners. He's just repairing and connecting to them to make it easier. It's not like they are listening into conversations

Jun 26, 2018
Considering the scale and level of violence happening in Marvel’s NY, I’m sure people in that universe would welcome *anything* to feel a little more secure.

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, not sure what's "concerning" or Orwellian about it whatsoever. Spider-Man tapping into them was an unexpected side effect of fixing the antennas, or so the game explains.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
The drug busting stuff rubbed me the wrong way tbh.
I did have an issue with the loaded term "thug crimes" and how he says things like "drug dealing is the worst of crimes" when he's literally Spiderman in Marvel's New York... Like really the worst of crimes is some dudes selling weed?

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did have an issue with the loaded term "thug crimes" and how he says things like "drug dealing is the worst of crimes" when he's literally Spiderman in Marvel's New York... Like really the worst of crimes is some dudes selling weed?
I'm pretty sure they present it as white bricks, its definitely not pot sales.

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
It is definitely an uncomfortably pro-cop game. Surveillance is just a part of that. Like the idea that Osborn would need to call in mercenaries to ramp up a fascist surveillance state and that the NYPD wouldn't be happy to set up checkpoints all over the city is hand waving the way institutions like the police are core in the development of fascism.

The drug crimes is another thing, too. Nice job Spidey, you just sent a dude to prison for weed. Sweet.

Oct 30, 2017
The world is one where the good are super good and the bad are super bad. i'd imagine the police in that world would be trusted and helpful.

maybe if the franchise, and thus the game itself wasn't about super villains and super heroes i'd feel a bit different though.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Antagonistic drive-by
I saw that article and assumed someone on this website would give this joke of an opinion a pedestal to stand on. Y'all don't disappoint.

Jan 27, 2018
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think most likely.

Oct 27, 2017
It’s a great game but Spiderman is a Fucking narc. Let me go around taking pictures of people’s cars so I can report them to the EPA! I’m shocked if later in the game there isn’t a mission where you are taking out unlicensed hot dog vendors.
Not sure if this is a joke but that's who Spider-Man is really.

Spider-Man doesn't have a great relationship with a lot of the cops in the game though.

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think.
But the actually morally grey stuff comes in supporting the police and their surveillance state. It would not be morally grey to say"don't trust police institutions".

Feb 2, 2018
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think.
Except there are corrupt cops in this game, you fight them in literally the first mission. In fact, the only cop he trust are Yuri and Mile's Dad because Kingpin controls part of the department.

Oct 25, 2017
on one hand I under stand where the complaints are coming from.

on the other I honestly don't care about it, in this instance.