• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I get the surveillance state stuff. It just seems like the radio communication and alarm system for the city.

The pro-cop stuff is also a bit strange. You fight crooked cops in the very first level of the game and most of the time the police are pretty useless, just arresting people after Spidey deals with them. Spidey also complains a lot about how they often shoot at him. Yuri and Davis are the only two that are shown in a positive light or even have much of a presence.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we should have spider-man beat up cops instead. all cops are evil anyways, right?

/s

Spider-man lives in a world were cops are. mostly, decent people doing the right thing. It's a comic book story for heaven's sake. If you want to fight cops, play GTA or saints row.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh good, we can talk about how right-winged the writing is on multiple fronts.

Yes the portrayal of cops in this is problematic.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac is one of the few developers that literally posted a video on their YouTube channel to come out against Trump and his racist policies after he won the election, I'm disappointed that some people would think ill of them in this way
Having a conscious set of beliefs doesn't mean you suddenly can't make art that in some way contradicts those beliefs through tone-deafness or blindspots.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I get the surveillance state stuff. It just seems like the radio communication and alarm system for the city.

The pro-cop stuff is also a bit strange. You fight crooked cops in the very first level of the game and most of the time the police are pretty useless, just arresting people after Spidey deals with them. Spidey also complains a lot about how they often shoot at him. Yuri and Davis are the only two that are shown in a positive light or even have much of a presence.
It's almost like people complaining either didn't play the game or didn't pay attention.

Weird, right?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A big part of the reason why people don't take games as seriously as other mediums of art is that any attempt to critically analyze their narratives and texts is completely handwaved and dismissed as meaningless.

What movies about a spider themed superhuman are taken as a serious modern day social commentary in its entirety ?
And who is crowd that we must seek validation from to consider gaming as a serious medium? Or better yet why is its acceptance as a serious medium dependant on every single product that this crowd can find the time to critique? Why is their approval so important?

Jan 10, 2018
...Are people seriously complaining about Spider-Man helping cops? Like, have you read a Spidey comic or watched a Spidey movie before? Spider-Man and the world he lives in are almost always portrayed as a super optimistic view of things where the cops are trying to do the right thing and Spidey is trying to help them since they have the same goal.

This also really makes me wonder how the third act of The Dark Knight would be received in 2018 considering Batman absolutely violates the privacy of every Gothamite in order to find Joker.

Seph, I expected better from you than a whataboutism.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just a bit into the game, and does anything more come out of the towers later on (they are plastered with Oscorp logos so I suspect something is afoot)? Because so far this "surveillance" is literally just the police band radio.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a bit into the game, and does anything more come out of the towers later on (they are plastered with Oscorp logos so I suspect something is afoot)? Because so far this "surveillance" is literally just the police band radio.

They're just Ass Creed towers. That's about the extent of it.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we should have spider-man beat up cops instead. all cops are evil anyways, right?

/s

Spider-man lives in a world were cops are. mostly, decent people doing the right thing. It's a comic book story for heaven's sake. If you want to fight cops, play GTA or saints row.
Batman works with the Commissioner, it doesn't mean he's an extension of the GCPD y'know? The more salient issue taken here is how Peter naively trusts the Oscorp surveillance that cops use and that he easily hacks into.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
It's a great game but Spiderman is a Fucking narc. Let me go around taking pictures of people's cars so I can report them to the EPA! I'm shocked if later in the game there isn't a mission where you are taking out unlicensed hot dog vendors.
I thought he was doing this just to report the model of the car as in to get the manufacturer in trouble.

Also, this game does have dirty cops, so I don't really agree that this game is completely pro-cop. It definitely does paint the police as having some bad apples even if the game has that theme.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not saying it does? have you quoted the wrong person? i'm just refuting the idea that the dark knight presents a neutral/positive outlook on mass surveillance.

Neither Spider-Man nor TDK presents a neutral or positive outlook on mass surveillance. I'd also say if you live in any big city this stuff already exists.

As far as the drug busts, I'm not sure why people have problems with those either. We're not talking about marijuana here.

Oct 26, 2017
That's literally it. That's all it is. And Spider-Man "hacks" into them so he can know what crimes are happening in that area.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For some people any amount of cops being shown in a positive light is to much.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
And you dont see a problem with that at all?

Of course there is, but not really the topic of this thread. Hundreds of escaped convicts end up turning into just another mega gang to inconvenience Spiderman and achieve ??? no actual goals or plans. It's the same as the faceless "thug" crimes. Just more short sighted and naive black and white writing. Spidey is good, thugs and criminals bad. Enjoy!

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Spider-man has worked with the police his entire hero career. I know it's problematic in today's world, but it's not out of character for him. He's been very close to several offices and detectives.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Kingpin controlled a huge chunk of the police force during and before the creation and use of these surveillance towers. And spiderman just goes ahead and trusts them after his takedown? Doesn't question a single thing?

I don't really buy this idea of an "idealistic" New York of good NYPD when literally the first mission of the game is exposing their corruption.
And what "idealistic" NYC has constant gun battles on every street corner?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Fuck Batman too, that asshole is way too chummy with the COMMISSIONER of a police force. Not to mention in the The Dark Knight he forced Morgan Freedman to make him tech that would spy on everyone in an entire city!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also, this game does have dirty cops, so I don't really agree that this game is completely pro-cop.
It's really only in that Fisk mission, the rest of the time the cops generally love you (with the exception of a side mission and even then the cop ends up liking you at the end). It's extremely pro-cop of a game.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Spider-Man is most definitely a narc and I felt weird with how giddy he got about beating drug dealers half to death but he called people 'fascists' enough time to remind me that this was a silly video game and clear my conscience.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Here's another article talking about it: https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/12/17848460/spider-man-ps4-police
Peter Parker romanticizes policing, and so Spider-Man asks the player to humor the character's law-and-order obsession through its narrative and gameplay. To reveal portions of the game's map, players must bound across Manhattan and repair the dozens of surveillance towers that Oscorp Industries — a devious conglomerate — has installed to serve the NYPD. In fact, the towers resemble surveillance equipment that the NYPD now uses, in real life, to sort suspects and other people of interest by physical tags, including skin color, based on closed-circuit footage. Spider-Man does occasionally hint at the potential for civil rights abuses — it's Oscorp technology, after all — but the game has rendered ubiquitous surveillance stations and drones as an otherwise benign, irresistible fact of modern life in a big, crime-ridden city.
The parts where Spider-Man is setting up police surveillance is almost exactly how SpOck kept track of crime in Superior Spider-Man.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, let's leave these heavily armed people alone. These are the suppliers that Spidey is dealing with, not the addicts.
I didn't suggest otherwise, just that we have plenty of evidence to suggest the war on drugs doesnt work, yet here we have a game indulging in the idea that "maybe it would work if we had superhuman people backing the police up".

Look, it's not that big of a deal, its certainly not even close to the worst portrayal of the issue I've ever seen in a video game, but its probably worth having a conversation about.
Ok, well I do, at least enough to bring it up. Maybe if our society was one that treated prisoners humanely it wouldnt bother me as much, but we dont.
Not sure if you are suggesting that Spiderman is beating up the users who need help and not the criminal dealers... is stretching me thinks.
Not suggesting that.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
saw this on twitter earlier (I hope it is from a joke site)

qG1EAmx.jpg

You mean, like the rest of the world not called USA?

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Jameson does address it, but the game portrays him as some Infowars clown. Not the greatest of takes...

I didn't get that portrayal of him at all -- he's basically right on the mark, except for his Achilles's heel that is Spider-Man, which was how he was generally portrayed in the comics. He's a great newspaperman, had integrity, had knowledge, but just can't get it right when Spider-Man is involved. In the past, it's been painted as a balance, to preventing spidey's ego from taking over.

I mean, a lot of what he says it's right on target in the game ... Until Spider-Man comes up.

Last edited:

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Neither Spider-Man nor TDK presents a neutral or positive outlook on mass surveillance. I'd also say if you live in any big city this stuff already exists.

As far as the drug busts, I'm not sure why people have problems with those either. We're not talking about marijuana here.
i know. that's what i said. as for spider-man i wasn't trying to make such a statement - i'm only a few hours in.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I knew with the hate the police get on here that this thread would pop up eventually.

Spider-Man has always been pro cop, though there were times they did not like him.

End of the day he is helping them. If anything shouldn't we want the police to strive to be as good as the ones in this very fictional video game?

As for the surviellance stuff. I have no problem with it, we live in a fucked up world and with 9/11 anniversary just being yesterday, as a resident of NY, I welcome it with open arms. So seeing it being depicted in game really isn't that big of a deal.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh good, we can talk about how right-winged the writing is on multiple fronts.

Yes the portrayal of cops in this is problematic.

Give examples please.

Here are my counter examples:

Spider-Man fights crooked cops.
Tons of pro environment missions.
Peter and Aunt May work/volunteer at a homeless shelter.
Peter ostensibly turns down six figures from multiple people to help people with Otto at his lab.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't suggest otherwise, just that we have plenty of evidence to suggest the war on drugs doesnt work, yet here we have a game indulging in the idea that "maybe it would work if we had superhuman people backing the police up".

Look, it's not that big of a deal, its certainly not even close to the worst portrayal of the issue I've ever seen in a video game, but its probably worth having a conversation about.

Ok, well I do, at least enough to bring it up. Maybe if our society was one that treated prisoners humanely it wouldnt bother me as much, but we dont.

Not suggesting that.
Spider-Man's job isn't to reform the healthcare system and law surrounding drugs. His job is to keep the streets safe and clear.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is ridiculous. You're playing a Super Hero game. Of course cops are going to be portrayed as good. For Christ sakes Spidey uses a police scanner, has multiple police officer allies, like DeWolfe and Yuri Watanabe. Hell even Miles' dad is a cop. Plus I mean the game still has suspect cops in it pretty sure the first mission has dirty cops in it. Y'all ridiculous.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Just because something is featured in a game or other work of fiction, doesn't mean it endorses it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I mean, he's helping one cop who is a trusted friend of his. By extension he's helping the cops because he's getting their work done before them and leaving the cleanup to them (which, unfortunately is probably saving many lives). His friend likes Spider-Man's methods and wants his aid so that more crime can be addressed more quickly, despite the questionable legality of what she's doing. Spider-Man doesn't even have proper permission to use the towers! He's breaking the law to fight crime more effectively! The cops are always giving him a hard time in the game, too! I don't really see the explicitly "pro-cop" stance much here, Pete's just using their tools to fight crime in a more effective way and helps Watanabe (who he trusts to be a good cop) in her larger operations, where she can mobilize the police force to in-turn help Spider-Man.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Do Americans hate police? And love drug dealers?

Serious questions

The criminal justice system in the US disproportionately targets and prosecutes minorities for minor charges.

Also, all drugs should be decriminalized, lots of people selling drugs do so tu supplement their shitty incomes in a system where the cards are stacked against them.

But that is not the opinion of most americans. Most Americans don't give a shit about minorities.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is all pretty par for the course when it comes to superhero stuff, isn't it? Not that it removes the legitimate complaints, but i'm suprised to see how many people seem to be "suprised" by it or something. Like what