• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Spiderman this week and I can't get over the fact that it completely normalizes a dystopian surveillance state wherein the NYPD (with the help of Oscorp) has some of the most advanced and invasive surveillance towers spread all throughout Manhattan. And you, as Spiderman, not only help to repair it but you also extensively use it.

I can't help but feel a little gross over the fact that Spiderman is complicit in this type of surveillance state and that it's a feature of the game.

Deadspin published an article with similar concerns here: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/they-turned-spider-man-into-a-damn-cop-and-it-sucks-1828944087

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Hilariously J Jonah is pretty on point with some of his complaints about this version of New York despite his portrayal, this being one of those things.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
fact of the matter is this technology does exist and is being used that way. Isn't this the issue Fox had w/ Batman in the last Dark Knight movie?

at this point I'm sure Spidey is thinking "well if it's going to be used I might as well piggyback off it to do my job better."

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I mean, if the towers keeps the city safe in the Marvel world, I'm all for it.
NYC already have tons of cameras everywhere you go, but I don't mind it because it's all public spaces anyway.
Sadly Manhattan is a preferred target for terrorists nowadays, so the extra precautions are necessary in my opinion.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I also play a ton of games that have you shooting people. Thankfully, I can distinguish the difference between reality from entertainment.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a communication network that links all alarm, 911, and traffic systems to spot crimes. It's not a surveillance system thats spying on you on your apartment.

Also it's a comic book video game.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Jameson does address it, but the game portrays him as some Infowars clown. Not the greatest of takes...

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
surveillance? I thought that network was about communication between police, and restoring it allowed precincts to communicate about where a crime is being committed/where help is needed.

I thought spiderman just listened in on this. At least that seems to be how it functions as a gameplay mechanic

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
saw this on twitter earlier (I hope it is from a joke site)

qG1EAmx.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game but Spiderman is a Fucking narc. Let me go around taking pictures of people's cars so I can report them to the EPA! I'm shocked if later in the game there isn't a mission where you are taking out unlicensed hot dog vendors.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
surveillance? I thought that network was about communication between police, and restoring it allowed precincts to communicate about where a crime is being committed/where help is needed.

I thought spiderman just listened in on this. At least that seems to be how it functions as a gameplay mechanic

It's akin to police radio scanners. He's just repairing and connecting to them to make it easier. It's not like they are listening into conversations

Jun 26, 2018
Considering the scale and level of violence happening in Marvel's NY, I'm sure people in that universe would welcome *anything* to feel a little more secure.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, not sure what's "concerning" or Orwellian about it whatsoever. Spider-Man tapping into them was an unexpected side effect of fixing the antennas, or so the game explains.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
It is definitely an uncomfortably pro-cop game. Surveillance is just a part of that. Like the idea that Osborn would need to call in mercenaries to ramp up a fascist surveillance state and that the NYPD wouldn't be happy to set up checkpoints all over the city is hand waving the way institutions like the police are core in the development of fascism.

The drug crimes is another thing, too. Nice job Spidey, you just sent a dude to prison for weed. Sweet.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The world is one where the good are super good and the bad are super bad. i'd imagine the police in that world would be trusted and helpful.

maybe if the franchise, and thus the game itself wasn't about super villains and super heroes i'd feel a bit different though.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Antagonistic drive-by
I saw that article and assumed someone on this website would give this joke of an opinion a pedestal to stand on. Y'all don't disappoint.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think most likely.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game but Spiderman is a Fucking narc. Let me go around taking pictures of people's cars so I can report them to the EPA! I'm shocked if later in the game there isn't a mission where you are taking out unlicensed hot dog vendors.

Not sure if this is a joke but that's who Spider-Man is really.

Spider-Man doesn't have a great relationship with a lot of the cops in the game though.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think.
But the actually morally grey stuff comes in supporting the police and their surveillance state. It would not be morally grey to say"don't trust police institutions".

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
After 9/11 that happened anyway with NYC, as for Spidey & how it normalises it, i just don't think Insomniac would be allowed by Marvel/Sony to make Spidey a more grey character, Peter has always been that sort of goodie 2 shoes character that doesn't question authority too much, leave the questioning authority & bashing up corrupt Cops to Batman is how Sony/Marvel think.
Except there are corrupt cops in this game, you fight them in literally the first mission. In fact, the only cop he trust are Yuri and Mile's Dad because Kingpin controls part of the department.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got to be a joke..... as I cant believe some people are moaning about this... is this the next puddle gate.....

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I hope there is a mission where you take down Smurda & GS9

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
on one hand I under stand where the complaints are coming from.

on the other I honestly don't care about it, in this instance.