• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
SetWidth1920-concrete-genie-logo-2.png

Concrete_genie_OT_info_1.0.png

Concrete_genie_OT_buy_2.0.png

Concrete_genie_OT_story_1.0.png

OxvjhNR.gif

Concrete_genie_OT_gameplay_1.1.png

Concrete_genie_OT_vr_1.5.png

Concrete_genie_OT_special_Thanks_1.0.png

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Preload is only eight and a half hours away, I'm excited to finally jump in and paint :D

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beside painting and some puzzle related, i just dont see there be enough gameplay to be a long run, wait is it psvr only?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
So, and I'm not trying to be ignorant here, genuinely curious: what exactly is this game?
You play as Ash, a boy who just wants to draw, but some bullies torment him and rip his scrap book apart. The town he lives in is overrun with bullies so Ash sneaks around the town, finding his lost pages and painting graffiti and bringing it to life, which rejuvenates the town and brings colour to it.

Of course,
with the existence of these genies of light so exists dark genies that kill the bullies (I think, PS Access mentioned this???) and Ash needs to get the Genies help in order to fight them
. You can also skate around on paint.

Basically an artistic game about light vs dark with colourful graffiti, all playable without VR and with a DualShock controller.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm very disappointed in that "Concrete Genie has developed quite the fanart following" wasn't the title

great ot

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the OT. It looks really cool on the dark theme.

So, and I'm not trying to be ignorant here, genuinely curious: what exactly is this game?
The OP lays it out quite succinctly but this stuff's accessible on the PlayStation website.

Main Game
Pick up your magic paintbrush and start painting the abandoned town of Denska back to life as Ash, the imaginative teenager at the centre of this touching action-adventure, exclusive to PS4.

Surrounded by pollution and pursued by bullies, only you can restore this once bright and bustling seaside town, by harnessing the power of Living Paint to cleanse its streets and alleyways.

Create your very own street art on Denska's polluted walls, and watch as the mischievous Genies you paint spring into life and come to your aid. Each Genie possesses magical elemental powers that not only help you overcome puzzles and see off your adversaries, but are also the key to changing Ash's and Denska's destiny…

VR Modes
Experience mode
Go on a quest with a cute Genie called Splotch, as your painting helps unlock a mysterious power. Completing VR Experience Mode unlocks the VR Free Paint mode.

Free Paint mode
Practice your new skills and manipulate your paintbrush with two PlayStation Move Motion Controllers to create beautiful, living landscapes in four unique Denska locations.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/concrete-genie-ps4/

When is the reviews going out?
Day of release apparently.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Loving the OT. It looks really cool on the dark theme.
The OP lays it out quite succinctly but this stuff's accessible on the PlayStation website.
Beautiful OT! Can't wait to dive in on Tuesday.
Great OP that lays it out really well
Incredible OT! Super excited to get lost in all the neon graffiti beauty!

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I've been looking forward to this one since the first reveal trailer (can't believe that was nearly 2 years ago). Bummed it isn't getting more of a marketing push - been seeing a lot of comparisons to late-gen exclusives like The Puppeteer that were basically sent out to die. Hoping this gets some good word of mouth and that isn't the case here. So excited to dive in on Tuesday!

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I really wish this game had HDR. Planning on buying it sometime this month if launch impressions are good.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice OT . When is the review out? My purchase depends on the reviews . Hope it metas over 80

Nov 4, 2017
Such a sweet premise, and the visual style is so striking. I'll be picking this one up on my way home if the reviews are good on release day.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Combining personal themes like bullying into gameplay reminds me of Papo and Yo (more people should play it as it's one of the most exemplary emotional games) which also had you manipulating the world to interact with creatures but the theme in that was about the relationship with an alcoholic dad and has one of the best emotionally resonant endings because it's tied to gameplay rather than a cutscene.

According to an Eurogamer interview, the concept came from a concept art Ashwin Kumar did who's one of the VFX artists at PixelOpus:
The idea for Concrete Genie came from within that group - more specifically from VFX artist Ashwin Kumar, from who the game's lead character takes his name. Kumar built a pitch around the idea of bullying, creating a piece of concept art that was slowly unpacked by the rest of the team in terms of how it could translate to gameplay.​
...​
"We could only be inspired by this if we incorporated the bullying theme into the game itself," says Robilliard. "This is our third iteration of those mechanics - as the story progresses, and you become invested in the landscapes and the creatures that you've built, it's the bullies in the game that start ruining your artwork, and you get to experience what that feels like. It's not just Ash's artwork - it's your artwork.​
"It's unusually difficult to have that - when you go back and expect to see your creature there and something terrible's happened. But it's also, as a gameplay mechanic, very good at incentivising you to fix that situation, it's very compelling to return it to how you originally made it. It's worked out from a design perspective too."​
It looks like a thoughtful implementation of a powerful theme, a compelling mix of Okami and Papa and Yo and the kind of artful game that Sony has encouraged so well in the past. "All those games with an authentic emotional connection," says Robilliard as our brief time together comes to an end. "That's definitely something we aspire to."​

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I am still not totally sure about this one so I am eager to read reviews and make up my mind. Nice OT too! Keeping my eyes open :)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is your SIE AA game. So for the "more AA games, Sony" folks, I hope you're ready day 1 for this game.

Oct 27, 2017
Apart some perfomance issues with some framerate dips and the lack of HDR (this is a perfect game for it, but unfortunnely it does not have it), game is beautiful and art in movement. We need more games like this one xD

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see how it will review. With games like this, it could go either way i guess. In theory, this looks like something i'd enjoy so i'm looking forward to it. It's also nice to see a game that tries something different and unique.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to Concrete Genie. It looks beautiful. Excited to hear some impressions on Tuesday.