• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, impressions coming tomorrow. The plat will definitely be easy yes, but it appears there's a glitched trophy right now that will keep me from it :(
Is it worth the price? I know it's not full price but it seems quite short

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks really awesome. I love the art style and neon painting effects, cannot wait to play it this week.

Also combat ! I didn't know it would have any combat tbh but good to see there is even more to the gameplay than just platforming and painting puzzles (although that stuff already sold me on this game)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Very excited to see reviews! Hovering over picking it up but want to see some more impressions first I think. Looks delightful.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
protip: you can find almost any dynamic theme on youtube:

Im going to add this to the OP for people :)

Got it preordered!

Also, nice OP, OP. I initially claimed it but eventually I realized I'd have no time to do it, so I'm glad someone else did.
Nice OT!

I'll pick up the game eventually, I'm just busy with other things right now.
Thanks guys!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No review thread for this?

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I said I would play 30 mins and it turned into an hour and 20 mins.

This game is great. Looking forward to playing more this week.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
The glitched trophy is really annoying. Whoever wants the Platinum should backup their saves before entering the Waterway

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is it worth the price? I know it's not full price but it seems quite short
I love short games and I love it when developers trim the fat. That definitely happened here in Concrete Genie, it's a short but fun and rewarding game. It only took me two sessions (5 to 6 hours) to beat it. Platinum doesn't add too much since the cleanup can be done very quickly. I will say though that €30 is pretty damn steep pricepoint. When I first played something like INSIDE I didn't regret buying it day one, but that was only €20 iirc. This is a harder sell imo, even though it's very charming. If the painting mechanic speaks to you, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. I never was a fan of Tearaway (Unfolded version) and think Concrete Genie is a better stab at the 'creating your environment' concept, since there's a better narrative push behind it.

Thing is, if you're a creative person and you get lost in making paintings, you can add hours to that playtime. You can make the environments as colourful or as crazy as you want, that's pretty cool. Ultimately though, it's not something I can spend too much time on. At the end of the day the gameplay/design is more important for me.

Speaking of which, I like how
the combat only gets added for the last hour of the game. I'd hate this sudden inclusion of mechanics in other games, but here it makes sense to have most of the game be relaxing, but to end with a bit more action. Still though, I think the devs also realised that the combat was too light/weak to keep around for longer.

They played to their strengths here and didn't overstay their welcome with any feature. I'd easily recommend this game, but €30 is a high pricepoint, can't deny that. If I'd had to put a score on it I'd go for 3,5/5. Add a point if the painting feature looks appealing to you.

The glitched trophy is really annoying. Whoever wants the Platinum should backup their saves before entering the Waterway
Turns out there's a fix. In Powerpyx' guide he made a comment: "Peekaboo: also doable next to the billboard in the sewers. You need to call the genie there, and once it wants to play, you hide behind the pillar."
I tested this and it works! My comment is waiting on approval on the site, but I can confirm that you can get it in that area.

So there are no glitched trophies after all, you can get Peekaboo after the story.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out there's a fix. In Powerpyx' guide he made a comment: "Peekaboo: also doable next to the billboard in the sewers. You need to call the genie there, and once it wants to play, you hide behind the pillar."
I tested this and it works! My comment is waiting on approval on the site, but I can confirm that you can get it in that area.

So there are no glitched trophies after all, you can get Peekaboo after the story.

yay!!! got my platinum! thanks!

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Question: In Tearaway Unfolded—for the drawing parts—I could load up the PS4 Second Screen app on my iPad and draw everything on there instead of using the DS4. Does this game utilize that feature?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tweeted by Santa Monica Studio:

EGXjy4HUUAA5tti.jpg:large

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Hooley dooley, the VR mode was better than I expected. Splotch wearing a flower crown was just sooo cute.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews seem solid so this is a buy for me. Got to support the smaller scale AA games who offer something fresh and unique.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have to say, Sony aren't doing this game any favours on the PS Store (at least in Australia).

There are no screenshots or videos at all on the store listing. Ridiculous.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Played about two hours and it's such a fun game. Lots of collectible pages to expand what you can paint on walls for yourself or the genies and it's not an overly difficult game, so it keeps it light and breezy so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, this is truly something special. At first I was disappointed there was no HDR, but on the Pro it really looks incredible. I am really impressed with the graphics.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Love love love this game so far; a couple hours in. I preordered it months ago just based on one screenshot. It's amazing

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to play it with my girls during the weekend. Hopefully I won't feel that I overpaid with the deluxe version though....