• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
What was in the deluxe version?
concrete-genie-digital-deluxe-edition.jpg

i was mostly interested in the lighthouse theme. But I bought it blind since the bastards didn't create a preview video so let's hope I like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Loving the game so far. The 2D animated facial expressions, special cutscenes, the way it looks and runs with everything coming to life...

Also the fact that you can seemingly paint on almost any flat surface. I've been doodling my own random stuff all over.

Then I finally tried photo mode, and you can play back your paintings!

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
One of the lighthouse paintings has glitched on me so now I can't get the last 3 pages :(

Sucks you can't just reload/restart an area. If I want to finish the game I have to restart from scratch.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
ACG review sold me on this game (thanks Karak ). It looks so good and a really chill game to play.
Price is also pretty amazing

I really hope this game sells well and will be buying it in the near future

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
ACG review sold me on this game (thanks Karak ). It looks so good and a really chill game to play.

Same! When the game was first shown, I didn't pay it much attention. But randomly deciding to watch his review on the game, completely changed my mind. I'm definitely picking this game up before the end of the year.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Played the game until the end of the lighthouse and it is wonderful so far. Really looking forward to play this more with my girls during the weekend. The initial reaction I would describe as magical.

Also the deluxe lighthouse theme is quit pleasant even though I would have wished for a more pronounced soundtrack choice.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played about 45 minutes of the game yesterday, but have somewhat mixed feelings so far. I get the sense that the game leans heavily on the painting mechanic (painting certain walls marked on your map seems to be the main form of progression gating), yet the range of paintings that you can possibly create seem somewhat limited. I'd guess most player's paintings end up looking fairly similar.

This is probably done so that there isn't a high skill floor to the mechanic; everyone's paintings look decent at the very least...but I sort of wish there was more to it. Or perhaps it could be gameified more in some way. Maybe a scoring system like the one in Pokemon Snap where Prof. Oak judged your photos based on various critiera and awarded points...?

Guess it just all feels very simple so far, and I'm reaching to think of ways to add depth. But then again, I'm very early and intend to continue playing.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Played about 45 minutes of the game yesterday, but have somewhat mixed feelings so far. I get the sense that the game leans heavily on the painting mechanic (painting certain walls marked on your map seems to be the main form of progression gating), yet the range of paintings that you can possibly create seem somewhat limited. I'd guess most player's paintings end up looking fairly similar.

This is probably done so that there isn't a high skill floor to the mechanic; everyone's paintings look decent at the very least...but I sort of wish there was more to it. Or perhaps it could be gameified more in some way. Maybe a scoring system like the one in Pokemon Snap where Prof. Oak judged your photos based on various critiera and awarded points...?

Guess it just all feels very simple so far, and I'm reaching to think of ways to add depth. But then again, I'm very early and intend to continue playing.
As you play through the game you collect more designs to paint

Oct 27, 2017

Knew nothing about this game and saw ACGs review come up in my feed and thought it was solely VR from the youtube preview and decided to watch the video later but then i just watched the Giantbomb QL and saw you can use standard controls. Game looks really really cool. Gonna go check out ACG's review and then get it off PSN.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You bet glad you liked the game! Pretty incredible bringing them genies to life. Wish puzzles were a bit more in depth but who am I kidding? I spent like 3 hours just painting a wall lol

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
seeing this thread so quiet is a bit sad. I have put a few hours into the game and it's magical. Like the whole time it is leaving me with a smile.

the art is fantastic, the sound, everything is simply amazing. Loving it so much

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
seeing this thread so quiet is a bit sad. I have put a few hours into the game and it's magical. Like the whole time it is leaving me with a smile.

the art is fantastic, the sound, everything is simply amazing. Loving it so much
I like that it's somewhat influencing me to get creative with what I have. Kinda impressed with myself with what I have made on some of the bigger walls.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
This game is already one I love and I haven't even tried VR yet. It deserves all the praise it's getting, and I hope it does well.

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a couple of hours in and I think this game is fantastic.

Sadly it seems like this kind of "artsy" games had fallen out of fashion now. If it's not a 2d platformer people don't seem to care about smal scale games anymore.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Loving the game so far. Even a few hours in I still find myself getting carried away with each piece of wall I start painting.

Only complaint so far is how choppy the game feels on base PS4. Not sure if it's framerate dips, bad frame-pacing or both, but it just doesn't feel terribly smooth a lot of the time.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me what are the symbols on the bottom of the map mean? They are obviously collectables but I have no idea what they are.

So for the fishing port mine reads 12/12, 3/4 and 13/15.

what are they in relation to?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This game has amazing presentation and atmosphere. I also love the way the character controls, I think this studio could make an awesome action platforming game next

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Credits are rolling. Overall I was pretty disappointed. Once the initial charm wears off the game becomes a chore... And then halfway through it introduces a shoddy combat system. I was pretty excited for this game so this was a bummer.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what are the symbols on the bottom of the map mean? They are obviously collectables but I have no idea what they are.

So for the fishing port mine reads 12/12, 3/4 and 13/15.

what are they in relation to?
Forgive me for any slightly incorrect info / I forget the names but the 3/4 should be for the genies pages, 13/15 should be for genie feature pages, and 12/12 should be for landscape pages

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading now.

Exciting to play it! Any tips for beginners or is it pretty straightforward?

Oct 29, 2017
Damm it seems my game is bugged, after you finish the main story you can come back to the Lighthouse and...

... Luna is supposed to give you some requests to unlock a secret area and a trophy, but she is just standing there and doesn't give anything.

I tried reloading the area, and reseting the game, but alas, nothing happens :(

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it in probably about 5 hours and wow, what a lovely little gem. I actually thought combat/chasing was pretty fun even if simplistic so I didn't mind the shake-up. Both gameplay types had just the right amount not to overstay their welcome. Beautiful art and music, the story was predictable but sweet and the pacing was good. The action gameplay was probably below average tbh but it didn't need to be better. It was functional.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just getting started but so far the first forty minutes have been really endearing. I really hope Sony gives PixelOpus a bright future.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Credits are rolling, great game. The combat is simplistic, but a nice change of pace.
Now to round up the rest of the remaining trophies and collect my Platinum.

Oct 27, 2017
Like Miggy two minutes ago, credits are rolling for me too!

Really enjoyed the game. Wish it was longer, combat expanded, but it's shortness stops it from getting boring or too repetitive.

The world was really cool and the game is stunning imo. I'd love to see a sequel with more fleshed out mechanics, combat right away, a little deeper puzzle solving and even more traversal mechanics.

Took me maybe 5 hours but for $30 it's really good. I'd give it 8/10, or 7.5/10.

Looking forward to Pixel Opus's next game