• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
The credits rolled down and i immediately went back to Denska. I loved every minute of it...

Oct 26, 2017
Love this game. If someone said it came from the same studio stables as ps3 art games like rain, puppeteer, journey and the unfinished swan I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I love these Sony's Art Games.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I thought it was ok. It's not as slick as it could be and it's all quite simplistic. The puzzles reminded me of Lego Star Wars, getting the right genie to do the thing, but that only happens a few times, there aren't really many puzzles. It's not much more than a proof of concept.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first platinum trophy. Had a lovely afternoon. Well done PixelOpus. I hope Sony will let the team develop/expand of the next gen.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it. Not sure if i should go for the platinum trophy. I'm at 77%. The trophy guide is kinda sloppy and I dont feel like wandering the map for hours.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat it. Not sure if i should go for the platinum trophy. I'm at 77%. The trophy guide is kinda sloppy and I dont feel like wandering the map for hours.
Completing the hydroplant area took me a good few hours more than it should have. Had problems finding two missing pages, both were hidden inside other objects. Otherwise it was easy.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah it was pretty good. Unlike a lot of the reviews, I wasn't a fan of the third act where things ramp up - I was really enjoying slowly moseying around just seeing the sites, painting on walls and playing with genies. The paint skate ability was fun but I found the combat a bit boring. I also found the message of the story a bit odd, it felt like it was saying 'do something nice to a bully and they'll stop bullying you'...

Overall though it was charming - I loved the genies, the painting was fun and I liked the aesthetic

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get the plat and I can't seem to figure out if I already have or which is the black birches design? I thought it was one of the 12 ice designs and was automatically given to you during end game

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get the plat and I can't seem to figure out if I already have or which is the black birches design? I thought it was one of the 12 ice designs and was automatically given to you during end game
Your journal shows your what designs you have collected plus the names for each design. If you have black birches, it'll be listed in there.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Pixelopus has potential, loved the visual style, but honestly not feeling anything else. Wasn't really any fun and story didn't really spend enough time on anything for me to care at all. Also not a fan of the motion controls cuz I don't play in a normal sitting position and my control always starts acting strange, and using analog stick to paint is just horrible.

Wouldn't recommend this to my friends but I'm looking forward to see Pixelopus grow.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
That was a fun game. Really liked the art style and the world, even though it could have been e bit bigger.
Also loved the facial animation. It looked like claymation and made the game more cartoony for me.
The last part was a bit of a downer. I liked the exploration/painting parts a lot more than the combat-focussed last act

Looking forward to their next game. They have cool ideas and it's fun to have a 3d game where fighting isn't the main focus.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I really liked my playthrough of the game. It was short, but sweet. The aesthetic of everything was exactly my jam.

I intended on getting the platinum, but I might not have the patience to find all the stuff I missed.

Edit: NM I missed creating a genie for the moment I couldn't get. *facepalm*

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is there really only 30 minutes of VR content? I thought the whole game was playable in VR :\
It was always announced to be separate modes. I thought it was pretty neat for what it was at least but it could definitely have been a bit more fleshed out. As a bonus I thought it was all right and I really enjoyed the flat game on the TV but I would have been pretty damn disappointed if I had bought the game mostly for the VR.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finished this up last night. Lovely game, though I particularly enjoyed the last chapter; adding all the extra mechanics to the mix (paint-skating, combat, taming) really spiced things up.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Just beat it. Really enjoyed it, like a nice little mix of Ico + Tearaway + Where the Wild Things Are.

Overall I much prefer Sony's AA games over their AAA stuff haha, this is one of my highlights from them this gen.

I liked that it was short enough that it didn't overstay its welcome, the combat towards the end wasn't great and I think I would have just preferred some more in depth puzzles, but it did it's job of shaking things up for the climax of the story.

When the credits stop rolling I'm diving right back in to polish off the platinum trophy.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
In the last third of the game I thought of playing a prequel to Infamous Second Son.

Really like this little gem from pixelopus.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've run into a game breaking bug. I'm in the waterways B2 and there's a point where I need to get a Genie to blow a blue box for me. My blue genie won't do it, no matter what. I wave them over with L1 and two of them come (a blue and a yellow) and they just stare at it. I can't progress without it being moved. I've watched YouTube walkthrough and there's pops out from behind the box and then blows it for them no problem.

Bummer.

Nov 8, 2017
It took me a while to really get in the groove because I had to keep dealing with work emergencies but once I settled in I played until my hands started to ache from holding the controller. One thing I love to do is to paint over the graffiti made by the bullies to make the world a bit brighter and better looking. I was not really expecting to have quite so much fun with this as I have.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I think I've run into a game breaking bug. I'm in the waterways B2 and there's a point where I need to get a Genie to blow a blue box for me. My blue genie won't do it, no matter what. I wave them over with L1 and two of them come (a blue and a yellow) and they just stare at it. I can't progress without it being moved. I've watched YouTube walkthrough and there's pops out from behind the box and then blows it for them no problem.

Bummer.
It has to be two blue genies. I was momentarily confused as well but there is another blue genie you can create around there.

In the last third of the game I thought of playing a prequel to Infamous Second Son.

Really like this little gem from pixelopus.
Exaaaaaaactly. It was so fluid and fun that I wanted more but realized it might have worn thin after a while so it was just right.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It has to be two blue genies. I was momentarily confused as well but there is another blue genie you can create around there.

I think I'm past the bit you mean. I got two blue genies and then jumped up that box and went round the corner to the bit with the water. One blue genie hid behind a box and the other blue genie went over the water to another box. I need the first one (the hiding one) to blow the first box. I've watched walkthroughs of him doing it. But he won't interact with it.

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished the game and I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. It's a nice chill experience and I hope everyone who thinks they might dig this kind of game gives it the chance it deserves. Now I'm going to look up how the hell I missed a trophy that has at 60% obtained rate. Ha.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit. Just unlocked the yellow guy. I wasn't really feeling it at first, but now that I have a hang of the painting mechanic I'm enjoying it more. It certainly looks lovely.

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished the story last night, and got the platinum tonight. It was a charming experience which I think was very well paced, and the length and price suited it perfectly. It's the kind of thing I could see myself revisiting just for the creative fun of painting.

My proudest creation was this (NSFW):
Concrete Genietals, AMIRITE?
PdvQwpJ.jpg

cTe1EVs.jpg

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
bought it today and finished it in one sitting. fantastic game.
- amazing visuals, despite some framrate dips. a shame that digital foundry didnt do a video on the unique visuals the game look like a stop motion picture come to life.
- great soundtrack
- there is zero fat or filler. amazing pace.
- took me around 6 hours, still many collectibles left to hunt down. i also didnt spend much time drawing. you could sink a lot of time here.
- story is great and charming.
- the genies and the way you interact with them is cool

such a great experience, i loved it.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I think this game is both really good and really disappointing.
The game felt like it was hitting its stride when you get to the waterways. At that point you have lots of paint 'patterns' unlocked and they introduce the multi-genie puzzles and I was hyped to keep going. Then it's all ripped away from you, combat is introduced, and then the game abruptly ends. I understand they wanted a pallet cleanser but I don't think they needed it so soon. I wanted at least one more area to explore and paint (I was expecting to go into the ship since they linger on it and call it out). The story also felt rushed and the kids joining forces didn't feel earned or developed enough. They go from arch enemies to best buds in no time. All in all I think both the gameplay and story needed more time to flesh out, just a couple more hours of game would've helped a lot.

I still enjoyed the game. I love it's aesthetic and almost Harry Potter-like feel. I only wish it would've stuck the landing.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am still on it, still like it ! Sometimes the aesthetic reminds me Lumino City :

There is a splatoonish potential in this game, but more in a friendly co-op mode with puzzles and free painting.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Just finished it in two sessions,was the right length for what it was and thought it was a nice little game,reminded me a bit of rain from the PS3.
The paintings being from presets meant I didn't feel quite as creative as I could have.....then again I'm terrible at art so at least all my paintings looked great,lol.

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the game few days ago... what a charming experience it was!

The controller is excellent and feels really smooth and easy.. the art direction was the star of the game here, and the last two chapters were a very pleasant surprise the game suddenly took a big step forward to a better spot ( and it was already in a very good spot before ).

I totally can see them doing a sequel on PS5 because they have build a fantastic foundations with this.. it's an immediate classic and already on the way to creat it's own cult and fanbase.

I highly recommend this to anyone with PS4 who is looking for a fun sized experience.

Very well done job creating this game, it was a blast ride from the start till the very end.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this today. I wish I liked it more. I think the art direction is great, particularly the moving, neon look of the paintings and the character designs of the genie. I seriously love the genies. They look so cool and are fun to interact with. Very funny too. I think there is fun to be had painting cool landscapes too in some of the large walls/spaces.

The core gameplay loop is kind of eh though. I wish they had done a little more with it. Maybe more interesting puzzle-solving or something during the earlier chapters. Even the late chapter developments didn't do a ton for me.
The combat isn't all that exciting for me. I do like the paint skate ability, but I don't think they do enough with it.

The game has some definite charm and I adore the genies, but in the end, the game didn't do a lot for me overall.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sad that I had to abandon my playthrough because of a bug that wouldn't allow me to progress. I was enjoying the game but not quite enough for me to want to play through it all again up to that point I guess.

What I played (3 hours maybe) was super charming though. It's a fun concept and really well implemented. I liked the VR mode too. It's slightly limited compared to traditional art apps seeing as it's based around 'stamps' or pre-generated brushes but it's a lovely implantation of the core gameplay in a free play VR paint mode. Thought it was well done.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really enjoying it. I get the reviews that wanted a challenge, but the game seemed more of a, "Relax and enjoy the atmosphere," kind of game. However, I wouldn't have been opposed to more complicated puzzles, but I guess I have The Witness for that. As this game stands, I love diving into the world and taking my time, and I'm really glad Pixelopus is doing games like this. It's lovely.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it during the weekend with my girls and it was a wonderful experience. Only thing that dragged it down was the gameplay change that comes toward the end.
didnt really enjoy meaningless fighting system where you cannot die and also the fact that each genie took forever to take down

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I Platinumed the game over the weekend and here is my mini-review:

This game had a lot of heart and was super relaxing. And was exactly what I was looking for after Shadowkeep. I'd recommend this to anyone, especially at that price. It's fun, it's not too long, the combat portion doesn't overstay its welcome, you get to be creative, it's a touching story and it's cheap. What more could you ask for?

And now that the weather has taken a turn for the worse (for the next 6-9 months), my urges to play more VR are returning, so I should be able to test out that mode soon.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Played this during the weekend. I enjoyed the game until the combat part, after which i couldn't wait for the game to end. I didn't find that part fun and it felt out of place. Instead, i wish the developer had done more with the concept of the genies, which felt underused. I imagine some very nice puzzles could have been made based on this concept. As such, gameplay wise, Concrete Genie felt a bit like a missed opportunity with a lot more potential (as somebody mentioned above, it feels more like a proof of concept). Also, story wise, the switch between "before" and "after" felt abrupt but overall, it was an ok, if somewhat predictable, story and message.

The presentation is fantastic with great art direction and visuals. Also, i like the animation technique used in the character's faces. The music was nice if somewhat unmemorable (in a sense that i don't recall any particular tunes after playing or that i would want to buy the OST).

All in all, i'd rate it a solid 7.5/10. It would have been higher without the last part. It was enjoyable but it feels as if a lot more could have been done with the concept. That being said, i can't wait to see what Pixelopus does next. They are definately growing as a developer with each new game and i like the fact that they make games that are different.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up as a bit of a holiday/weekend title.

I like that it's about bullying. Is that explored well?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up as a bit of a holiday/weekend title.

I like that it's about bullying. Is that explored well?
It's not explored super deeply but I think it is handled well. It's an adventure game that kids can play and it's frankly too strong and depressive of a theme to really go into the depths with in such a game. I loved the game myself. A nice and simple game from a gameplay perspective that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Noticed there are three VR trophies, can those be obtained via Share Play with someone who has a PS VR?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed there are three VR trophies, can those be obtained via Share Play with someone who has a PS VR?
You generally need to connect a headset to even start a dedicated VR game or mode. I'm strongly convinced, although I haven't tried it in Concrete Genie, that you can't earn the VR trophies unless you have a VR headset for this reason. If he had a copy of the game and you Share Played as a guest then you wouldn't earn trophies either, only the host does.

The platinum trophy doesn't require the VR trophies though. They are treated like DLC.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You generally need to connect a headset to even start a dedicated VR game or mode. I'm strongly convinced, although I haven't tried it in Concrete Genie, that you can't earn the VR trophies unless you have a VR headset for this reason. If he had a copy of the game and you Share Played as a guest then you wouldn't earn trophies either, only the host does.

The platinum trophy doesn't require the VR trophies though. They are treated like DLC.
Appreciate the response, thanks! I did get the Platinum earlier, but I usually go for the 100% as well, if I can. Ah well, no big deal.