• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this was known until now, but Xbox accessories Producting/Marketing manager James Shields confirmed that all current Xbox One controllers will be forward compatible with Scarlett:

Huge news, and such a welcome change to the former status quo. Kudos to Microsoft for continuing to make consumer friendly moves time and time again.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
im pretty sure it was said before but never hurts to have more confirmation

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Makes me wonder if they're sticking with the same controller design entirely then barring some internal changes. Deffo makes an Elite 2 purchase make a lot more sense.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
That's good in theory, but does that mean developer adoption rate of whatever new features on the new controller will be low to non-existent?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That's positive news for consumers. Also suggests I guess that we're not going to see anything revolutionary out of next gen controllers, which is a little disappointing, but not unexpected.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could swear that they confirmed this already, but still great news! If he says "all", that seems to imply that they'll keep the same Wifi connection standard in Scarlett rather than moving to bluetooth or something else like it.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Thank the gods, I really didn't want to have to see another flood of "800 gajillion dollars of R&D went into this NEW controller" stories that happens at the turn of each new generation.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Makes me wonder if they're sticking with the same controller design entirely then barring some internal changes. Deffo makes an Elite 2 purchase make a lot more sense.
They'll probably tweak it a bit but at this point they've refined the design to a point where outside of some cosmetics and minor improvements I doubt we'll see much difference in their controllers until new tech or advances happen. That said I'd bet they'll change the looks a tad bit just to get people to buy new controllers since it's new and different.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Microsoft actually develops a next-gen controller though to package and sell alongside Scarlett.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not sure why I'd need a change to a perfect controller. Unless their somehow improving the vibrations even more then i dunno.

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer, I was hoping the triggers of DualShock 5 would become industry standard and have gameplay designed around them. Sony first party will but I imagine third parties may not if it's only on one platform.

could still be in the Scarlett controller I guess.

Does this actually confirm that you can play Scarlett games with an Xbox One controller or that you can play Xbox One games on Scarlett with an Xbox One controller?

like how you could use Wii Remote for some games on Wii U but not all, but it worked 100% for Wii BC

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
good, but both my xbox controllers are shit so i will be using the scarlett one

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, as they announced the product so late in the cycle. Sony on the otherhand is said to have small new improvements in the DualShock 5 as far as we´ve heard from the initial reports. And i hope they do something else than a touchpad this time, that has been a huge waste of space and i´d assume the lightbar is infrared on the next one.

Doesn´t mean the DS4 wouldn´t be compatible but might not have all the same functionality. Kinda like you can use a DS4 with a PS3 too but the home button won´t work :D

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
They'll probably tweak it a bit but at this point they've refined the design to a point where outside of some cosmetics and minor improvements I doubt we'll see much difference in their controllers until new tech or advances happen. That said I'd bet they'll change the looks a tad bit just to get people to buy new controllers since it's new and different.
Yeah I can see a design refresh, nothing drastic though. Maybe something fancy like HD rumble or something too.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to see what improvements they will make on the next controller.

Hopefully they will let us turn off/dim the controller light, that is REALLY bright if you are remote-playing in the bed at night. And after you shut down your PC, that light will blink on and off for what seems like 15 minutes as it is trying to establish a new connection.

Maybe this option exists on Xbox, and is something Valve should add to its API?

Also, the current controllers are a bit too noisy/squeaky. Especially the shoulder buttons.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is old news, whether this is the nth time you had to hear it to finally believe it lol.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've confirmed BC, as well PSVR headset compatibility, so I wouldn't have thought that really needs confirming.
It's totally possible DualShock 4's will not work with the PS5, considering the DS5 is seemingly gonna use totally different triggers etc.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I will never get over people complaining about Wiimote compatibility on the Wii U.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doesn't mean their won't be new controllers, just that they'll be along the same lines at the previous controllers.

I still hope we get the select and start buttons back. Boxes and burger icon kinda suck.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Bummer, I was hoping the triggers of DualShock 5 would become industry standard and have gameplay designed around them. Sony first party will but I imagine third parties may not if it's only on one platform.

Does this actually confirm that you can play Scarlett games with an Xbox One controller or that you can play Xbox One games on Scarlett with an Xbox One controller?

like how you could use Wii Remote for some games on Wii U but not all, but it worked 100% for Wii BC
Xbox One already has haptic feedback triggers.

Might not be as advanced as what Sony is planning but I'd imagine MS might improve their tech too.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else want them to get rid of the "View" and "Menu" button and go for something similar to start and select. IDK why but this has always bothered me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great news and doesn't mean that they'll be no changes to the Scarlett controller. After all, the 360 controller in theory could've worked on Xbox One (layout wise) even though the Xbox One controller has improvements and is a different controller.

This is great anyway! I've got like seven of the damn things.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

The triggers have been in Xbox controllers since 2013.

Maybe the DS5 will have slightly updated versions? That wouldn't stop from Scarlett bundled controllers on being updated just like how the basic Xbox One controller has been updated a few times this gen and that's not even including the elite controllers and any future Elite 3

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone else want them to get rid of the "View" and "Menu" button and go for something similar to start and select. IDK why but this has always bothered me.
I dunno my friends and I got pretty used to calling it then the 3 lines button and double box. JK they suck.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
As it should be. great news. Scarlet will come packaged with the improved next-gen controller though so I am glad I won't have to buy 1- 3 more controllers at launch or anytime soon for split-screen mp sessions.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was known. I've said it before that I like that they're going to let the customized controllers from Design Labs come forward.

They're just regular controllers, but I think it's nice that something personalized wouldn't be "obsoleted" (not sure if that's the right word).

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't broke, don't fix it. Happy to know the set of 4 I bought for this gen will still be viable with an upgrade.