• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really bugs me when people assume the negativity towards Gamefreak is aimed towards the lone guy that programmed in TM34 or the lady that worked on Hau's weird arms animation. It's very clearly aimed at people like Masuda that are in charge of how the game is developed, because they're the face of the team.

Man even then I'm not mad at Masuda. Get mad at TPC upper brass who probably told Masuda he and his team had to be done by a certain date.

Like don't get mad at Gamefreak. Get mad at TPC for not giving GF the time they needed to create a fully realized product.

Now if say the team got an extra year and shit was still a mess then you can fault the core dev team.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I think that is the point. This isn't some tiny game, by some no-name indie company.

It is literally the most popular franchise on the planet.

I really don't understand why GameFreak get a pass for putting out a really half assed game - it it were any other huge franchise like Destiny or CoD culling features, having garbage graphics etc they would be eviscerated.

Instead of holding Nintendo and GameFreak to any kind of standard it's all "hey guys they're trying their best".
holy crap could you imagine if ND took these kinds of short cuts on TLOU2?
Or Insomniac on spiderman?
Or if Monster Hunter World's massive console debut looked like the PSP games and had a ton of cut content?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Or if Monster Hunter World's massive console debut looked like the PSP games and had a ton of cut content?
Wait.... Insomniac DIDN'T take shortcuts on Spiderman???

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... Monster Hunter World did have a ton of cut content.

The problem with Sword and Shield is that we're not seeing benefits for the cut content.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I used #ThankYouGameFreak in a sarcastic manner yet I got warned for that. Why dont all these folks who say fuck bioware and bethesda get these warnings too.

I swear pokemon is put on a pedestal here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man even then I'm not mad at Masuda. Get mad at TPC upper brass who probably told Masuda he and his team had to be done by a certain date.

Like don't get mad at Gamefreak. Get mad at TPC for not giving GF the time they needed to create a fully realized product.

Now if say the team got an extra year and shit was still a mess then you can fault the core dev team.

We don't know how the dynamics work in the pokemon company and gamefreak. We don't know if Masuda is able to push for a delay, or if his higher ups set the deadline and it's set in stone...

This screams of mismanagement.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it always some vague, anonymous boogeyman in TPCi that's to blame? How do we know Gamefreak itself isn't mismanaged? We legit know almost nothing about the relationship between them and TPCi and NIntendo, yet we assume it's everyone, but the studio heads because reasons. I'm not saying it is them, but where did this whole reasoning that TPCi doesn't give them a big enough budget, or overextends them, or doesn't give them enough time, etc

In the interviews we have, the idea for certain games or certain changes within games always seems to come from them. I've never gotten these sense it's pushed on them. Granted they might not say that if that was the case, but I always find it hard that's the assumption without us ever so much as getting a hint or rumor or anonymous scoop that that's the case

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean... Monster Hunter World did have a ton of cut content.

The problem with Sword and Shield is that we're not seeing benefits for the cut content.
that's it precisely
MH world looks so much better and improved in so many ways that the cut content was warranted and even forgiven
and now they're releasing content here and there filling it out.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used #ThankYouGameFreak in a sarcastic manner yet I got warned for that. Why dont all these folks who say fuck bioware and bethesda get these warnings too.

Its not just Pokemon. I feel like Nintendo is worshipped a bit much on this site. I guess it makes sense.

If only Bioware hate got half as much attention from mods.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Metagross is so cool holy shit.

metagross___meteor_mash_by_ishmam-d8zke9v.png

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

They used to be fine with previewing the next gen by teasing new Pokemon even before the games though. The overall marketing machine really isn't that tied up by the games.

I really think the annual releases might be mostly a GameFreak decision - especially when you consider how the remakes and enhanced versions don't receive nearly as much marketing focus as the new generation proper outside of the games themselves. Meanwhile, as far as the games themselves go, these remakes and extra versions generally still sell millions - relatively close to the base games. So, there's a much bigger reason for GameFreak themselves, rather than Pokemon Company overall, to push annual games.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

because making jokes is a bannable offense while outright hatred and hypocisy is fine... just put your head down and say what you're told to say

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, TLOU2 had its multiplayer cut out and MHW had a ton of bosses cut from the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, TLOU2 had its multiplayer cut out and MHW had a ton of bosses cut from the game.
TLOU is looking to set a graphical benchmark on consoles as well as greatly improve the complexity of the combat system and MHW, in addition to looking orders of magnitude better than any of the previous games, also greatly improved the AI and the sophistication of interactions. Those are cases of devs having to prioritize in other areas that were deemed more important. This whole controversy with Gamefreak is that despite these cuts there isn't any area that seems leaps and bounds better than before graphically or in terms of scope.

Another thing is that people comment this it Gamefreak's first HD game. Well that was pretty much the case for the Monster Hunter team as well. Yeah they had a port of 3U to the Wii U and 4 to the Switch, but those were HD remasters, not ground up HD titles

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Very odd, dismissive and almost sarcastic response to my rather thoughtful post explaining the malcontent but ok.
?? Huh ok...Just saying I get why ppl are upset, but none of that applies to me, I don't play Pokémon games. Just going to try this one out and hope it's good, I wouldn't really know how it pales to past games, but I'm hoping it's still a solid experience.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Not happy about this. GTS helped me complete my dex when I fell off Pokemon for two generations.

That said, the Pokemon community back in the old forum was great so I hope it'll be the same here.

In any case, I don't plan to buy the game til later even though I do feel a bit hyped about it. After all, it's still Pokemon... just Pokemon with a whole bunch of cuts.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Yeah, it's weird that all the "fuck Capcom" posts and similar attacks on the dev weren't actioned in the thread linked below, for example, but it's a completely different case here with the use of a sarcastic hashtag. There should either be a zero tolerance policy, which Era originally was founded on, or it shouldn't be actioned at all.

You may even see some familiar faces here!

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine complaining about a game that hasn't even released at this point.
Consume before justifying consumption.
I don't even know what GTS is lmao. I've just seen a lot of negativity about this game and I don't really understand, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and I don't really understand why the fanbase seems to hate the games so much while still refusing to not play them at the same time.
Lmfaoooooo
images

Smile,
Though your heart is achin'
Smile ♫
Lol Please...
If you're buying it, don't criticize it, because you're still buying it anyways.
If you're not buying it, don't criticize it, because you're not buying it.

So, crystal clear: don't criticize this game.
Pretty much.
You're posting on it lmao
Lmfaooo
I feel so bad for the developers of this game, such a violation to have so much info out prior to release. People that do datamines, leaks etc; are scum imo
Perhaps the dataminers shouldn't have been the ones to share this info with us...
Even after cancelling my preorder I still have the Pokemon itch. Any good ROMhacks to play?
Anything by Drayano is spectacular.
I mean, it's not like people could've waited until the game is out to find out before purchasing or anything...
It is a decade too late to cure the cancer on gaming that is pre-order culture, the blame should be on GF for not being clear with the state of the product they're asking $60 for.
If we had found these issues on release day like Game Freak intended we might be able to experience them in their natural context, and acknowledge them for the hard work and artistic merit they clearly deserve. Viewing anything about a game without experiencing it yourself is morally objectionable.
LMFAOOOOOOOO
Metagross is so cool holy shit.

metagross___meteor_mash_by_ishmam-d8zke9v.png
Lol i agree but why

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The devs ain't at fault here, there just doing what their being told, I'm sure they had aspirations to make way more changes, and I'm sure that they really wanted to make the perfect game. It's the management what's fucking things up, the person/s behind the decisions.

Yes the executives of the company should have listened to miyamoto:

EJO1UiPU8AAuNvJ

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017

Because Bioware and Bethesda are supporting an oppressive government... oh wait, they aren't so I can't use that excuse. I got nothing.
It's ridiculous that you got a warning for a sarcastic hashtag, while there are posts wishing for a developer to die or a game to be cancelled or fail with no moderation at all. Imagine if Ubisoft released two versions of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, they would be the laughing stock of the forum.

Yeah, it's weird that all the "fuck Capcom" posts and similar attacks on the dev weren't actioned in the thread linked below, for example, but it's a completely different case here with the use of a sarcastic hashtag. There should either be a zero tolerance policy, which Era originally was founded on, or it shouldn't be actioned at all.

Because Capcom is supporting a... oh wait, neither they are. Then it must be because Capcom devs don't have feelings so you can't hurt them.
You have to wonder why is the moderation team taking action in this case and not in all the other cases, never seen such a blatant double standard. I just wish some clear rules, are we allowed to say fuck this and that company as long as it's not GameFreak? It this how it works?

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
GameFreak defenders are very creative, I'm impressed, even when they criticize GF it doesn't feel like one.

Anyway all the crazy hate and mindless love aside, this franchise is just in a bad situation, i hope things get better, they should fix the management, it's pretty bad.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I want to know more. What makes them really good? What is the big change over the originals?
It takes ORAS/the Gen 7 games, adds in all of the non-legendary Pokemon, and makes the game much more difficult - to the point where all of the bosses use competitive teams - which makes the terrible writing and the constant cutscenes at least somewhat bearable. It also makes it much easier to obtain competitive items (you can simply buy them in stores instead of having to grind for them in the Battle Tree).

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck Capcom is completely understandable.

They don't port games to Switch and Monster Hunter: World was too successful for the betrayal that it was.

/s just incase someone misunderstands me[i/spoiler]

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Actually lmfao.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I just got accused of "raiding" one of the other threads because of a post criticizing how GF handled this. So it should go without saying, but please don't jump into other threads to "raid" other discussions. I don't personally think it's happening but it would be nice to not have to be accused of such things.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That thread got heated quick.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I just got accused of "raiding" one of the other threads because of a post criticizing how GF handled this. So it should go without saying, but please don't jump into other threads to "raid" other discussions. I don't personally think it's happening but it would be nice to not have to be accused of such things.
I apologize that the upsetness of people probably directed at me jumped to you just cause you made a tangential point to the discussion that was happening with me.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

OMG this is priceless!

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I want to know more. What makes them really good? What is the big change over the originals?
It takes ORAS/the Gen 7 games, adds in all of the non-legendary Pokemon, and makes the game much more difficult - to the point where all of the bosses use competitive teams - which makes the terrible writing and the constant cutscenes at least somewhat bearable. It also makes it much easier to obtain competitive items (you can simply buy them in stores instead of having to grind for them in the Battle Tree).
The increased difficulty also encourages you or gives you more reason to use items and strategies that would be overkill for the vanilla game. For instance, a fight that is seemingly impossible can be won if maybe you rotate a few Pokemon out of your team, change moves, hunt for items or berries, etc. If you know a lot about Pokemon's items and battle mechanics, then hacks are a lot of fun.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
So I just got denied cancelling preorder (Ireland).

The CuCa representative basically told me that by agreeing to Nintendo's T&C I sign a waiver to a right for a refund. When I pressed whether this is lawful in EU I got sent this quote:

Can I return an item I've bought online if I don't like it?
YES. Once an item purchased online is delivered, you have 14 days to decide whether or not to keep it. However, this right of withdrawal does not apply, among others, to purchases of:

- Perishable goods;
- Sealed goods that cannot be returned once unsealed;
- Plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates.
- If you purchase digital content - such as music or a video online - you cannot withdraw once downloading or streaming has started, if you previously agreed that you would lose your right of withdrawal by starting the performance.

I pressed him about the last point. I have not started the performance, because, well Nintendo does not let you to until the game is released. He refused to take it up any further and said that Nintendo's decision is final.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is actually ok for Nintendo to do?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, I would like a mod to clarify why:

#ThankYouGameFreak

is bannable/warning-able when the same standards aren't applied to other companies.

Users deserve this much transparency, at the very least.