• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Look, to the people that bemoan everytime something like this causes a frenzy with fans, here is the bottom line. Pokémon is a juggernaut that no damn controversy will touch it's sales. It's nintendo's FIFA. Sales will never be something that spurs Gamefreak to action... Period. The fans calling them out on their BS constantly is the only way to perhaps budge them. It damn sucks when it turns into bullying devs, however, Gamefreak should be called out for their BS.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly can't wait to see the clusterfuck that will be the DP remakes.

people are gonna be thanking gamefreak a whole lot

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
This really sucks. I've used the GTS a ton in previous games, and now it feels like we're going back to early DS era when it comes to trading.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Why? The GTS was really useful. I was already on the fence about buying, but this might be the first Pokemon gen I skip since 1996. I'll still hold out for reviews but beyond some of the cool new designs, what's been revealed isn't very promising.
Please be excited for Pokemon Home, where you can pay monthly for the same features you've been enjoying since 2006

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Gamefreak is flat out releasing an unfinished game people.

pop3akns.gif

The benefit of the doubt phase should be over. They should be criticized as harshly as Bethesda or EA for this.

This is a final build? Please tell me this isn't the final build. No way.

Oct 27, 2017
It is abundantly clear what is going on. The dex is being diluted between games to firstly insensitive the purchase of future games where only certain mon will be available (It's unclear if this will just be DPP remakes, perhaps could even see spin-offs going into this mix) all to service the cynical Pokemon Home paid app, which will undoubtedly have some form of microtransaction element to it, if not at launch, then in the future.

This is the way modern gaming is going. That doesn't mean people can't criticise the cynical nature of it. I would be a bit comfortable if the games themselves looked like they were making substantive progress but they simply are. Graphically poor, features removed that were in games from 10 years ago. The series is not making any strides forward, let alone great strides. There's very obvious elements where the core series can be improved but it always appears to be one step forward and two steps back. This was further compounded by discovery of certain mainstay key moves being removed from the game.

It's not just about 'Dexit'. It's everything else as well. Any disappointment with what is going on is perfectly legitimate, in my eyes.

Yeah, this is pretty much on the mark. Having 2 version was egregious enough, but at least they gave you the means to get most, if not all pokemon without too much effort between GTS and free Mystery Event giveaways for legendaries. Then they introduced Bank, which was a bit of a bummer being a paid service, but it allowed the easiest way of transferring pokemon between all the 3DS games (even the R/B re-releases).

But now they've cut the pokemon meaning to play with certain pokemon that were cut you need to buy whatever game contains them. They're removed GTS making it further harder to trade for pokemon not in your specific game version. And Home is one way with every game, but SWSH. It really all does seem made to do force you to purchase more. And I get it, they're a business so that's their goal, but it's getting egregious at this point

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo should consider getting Monolith Soft to help Game Freak. If they don't have the manpower to do what they want then I think Nintendo should get Monolith to help them.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People criticizing the game get called toxic no matter what they say or how they frame their complaints. Coopting the hashtag is a very civil and effective way of voicing their frustration with gamefreak, but it's labeled "toxic" by some of yall.
Given that the hashtag was used to combat the substantial harassment that Game Freak has gotten (hell, I used it a few days ago too since I sincerely believe when Game Freak nails something, you get gems like Pulseman, Drill Dozer or Pokémon Gold/Silver, Black/White/2), it was probably not the best way to go about that since it felt like it was mocking fans for acknowledging how toxic some of the backlash against Game Freak and Sword/Shield has been.

Game Freak is not immune to criticism, nor should it be; that's why I made this thread because i'm sincerely disappointed that the GTS is gone and it doesn't seem like something better is going to replace it based on the leaks, to say nothing of the issues i've had with prior and current direction of the series. But I admit it was not a very well thought out joke and I apologize for thinking it was a good idea in the first place.

It's been removed from the title so please discuss what's happened instead.

I blame EVERYTHING on the yearly release schedule. I sincerely hope they don't release a game next year. We're not in the 240p handheld era anymore.

Gonna side with you on that.

Really think annual releases aren't a good idea when developing on more resource-heavy HD console mediums. This ain't FIFA or low-resolution handheld territory. If developers need to cut fan-favorite features in order to make deadlines, I don't think that's a trade-off worth doing. IntSys needed another company (Koei Tecmo) to develop Three Houses for them because they didn't have the resources, man-power, and experience to do so.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Please be excited for Pokemon Home, where you can pay monthly for the same features you've been enjoying since 2006

We only hope that pokemon home has all these features. With gamefreaks track record it'll probably just be bank + the ability to tap your pokemon once a day to boost their happiness.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...I'm just at a loss for words.

How the actual fuck has Pokémon regressed this much.

Oct 27, 2017
Diamond and Pearl remakes won't have half the features introduced or reintroduced in gen 4.

Underground? Nope. GTS? Nope. Battle Frontier? Nope. 493 Pokémon in the national dex? Nope. In-game events for mythical Pokémon? I hope you like Pokémon Pass and GameStop.
I'm still waiting for SWSH to release to see all the features since I've steered clear of the leak thread, but I'm legit starting to worry about the DP remakes. I was initially worried they might be in the LG style, but now I'm getting worried about them even being in the traditional style

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Or people dunking on No Man's Sky. Or Sea of Thieves. Or Fallout 76.
Especially No Man's Sky. That was an actual tiny ass team trying to do something well beyond their previous level of experience. They caught absolute hell. Not a peep from these folks up in arms about Game Freak being snarked at.

And that shit that got flung their way was well deserved, but at least they weren't guilty of gutting well established staples of a franchise they'd worked on for years. They just over promised and under delivered.

And all the criticism resulted in them actually delivering eventually.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We only hope that pokemon home has all these features. With gamefreaks track record it'll probably just be bank + the ability to tap your pokemon once a day to boost their happiness.

And we won't even have models. It'll be blurry box sprites again.

And it won't have touch controls, so we'll have to drag Pokémon one by one.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
On the contrary, losing one of the better online functions is not good. That doesn't mean you're not blatantly making everyone who actually gives a shit look bad by adding to a perpetual tantrum.

Oh please. What won't the apologists for game freak call a tantrum? Any time someone dares to speak up about the ever increasing torrent of anti consumer moves made regarding these games, someone comes out of the wood work to attack anyone daring to express dislike.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
A bit more examples on how bad the situation with these games actually is. And why fans are going nuclear.

Mod Edit: GIF with inappropriate language removed

Games are simply unfinished.

Can someone post the fishing one? I can't find it
oh no a minor visual bug

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The GTS made pokemon games so much easier and enjoyable with so much less hassle to play and collect.

Please god don't send us into some sort of friend code ice age, GF.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, how the fuck are people defending Gamefreak gutting the online.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak is flat out releasing an unfinished game people.

pop3akns.gif

The benefit of the doubt phase should be over. They should be criticized as harshly as Bethesda or EA for this.

How is this evidence of an unfinished game? It's a fog effect that's supposed to lower visibility. The game isn't rendering what you're not supposed to be able to see so there's pop in and that means it's unfinished? What?

It's no secret that GF aren't graphics ninjas, but this stuff just comes off like salty gamers looking for anything to jump on them for.

hn6opxA.jpg

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I just want Pokemon to be good, man. I really wish people wouldn't blatantly try to start shit or actually be toxic when criticizing the games. There's plenty to criticize, no need to criticize people too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I blame EVERYTHING on the yearly release schedule. I sincerely hope they don't release a game next year. We're not in the 240p handheld era anymore.

My guess is sword and shield started life as 3ds games, then when they had to jump to hd everything went to shit because hd development is really hard to do.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
despite common belief they do hear complaints.

each game has fixed issues from previous ones. hell this whole release cycle was in response to people complaining about them showing too much.

It might be glacial at times and come w/ new issues but they do listen.

i don't think anyone from GF enjoy being told their are shit over and over again either lol. I am sure they hear loud and clear.

The problem is, most of these quality of life changes, while excellent, affect the competitive community more than the singleplayer crowd.

Everyone plays these games for a different reason. Me? I love playing through the story and then moving on to another game in the franchise. I have almost thousands of hours of playtime in these games just from playing the campaigns over and over again with different teams.

We have been respectfully asking for longer campaigns, more non-linear regions, harder campaigns, and better singleplayer postgame content since, oh, X & Y were a month or so old. The changes they are making to make competitive battling easier are fantastic. Hopefully with the next release, whatever it may be, they throw us singleplayer folks a bone.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that there's no positive way to spin this so defenders are just rallying behind yelling at people for using a hashtag sarcastically.

Truly the greatest and most toxic crime one can commit.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is just so blatantly anti consumer, and I'm surprised that so many here are defending it.

we're paying for NSO, and these are full, $60 games. Stuff like this is unacceptable.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I'm personally pretty ok with GTS going away. It always felt like there was someone offering any given thing at any given time. You could get what you wanted for, often, a pretty small cost. And it was so easy to cheat back then, I never really believed that anything I got was legitimate. I'm fortunate enough to still have some friends that play these games, so I have that option. Moreover, if I were feeling the need to collect some monsters, I'd get the other version of the game.

Not to say it's a good thing. Outside of my tiny little perspective, I know most people probably love the convenience, especially completionists with limited patience. Or anyone else who just likes to see what's up there. On that note, hopefully there's version of GTS planned for an update or whatever.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
How is this evidence of an unfinished game? It's a fog effect that's supposed to lower visibility. The game isn't rendering what you're not supposed to be able to see so there's pop in and that means it's unfinished? What?

It's no secret that GF aren't graphics ninjas, but this stuff just comes off like salty gamers looking for anything to jump on them for.

hn6opxA.jpg

Did you see those trees pop out of the ground? The Witcher 3 runs better on Switch.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling real justified in my opinion that the ridiculous accelerated development timeline the Pokémon games are on right now is severely hurting the series.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please. What won't the apologists for game freak call a tantrum? Any time someone dares to speak up about the ever increasing torrent of anti consumer moves made regarding these games, someone comes out of the wood work to attack anyone daring to express dislike.

That's so cute you're framing it as speaking up or express dislike. I think we both know that you know whats really happening.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So how are you gonna get those exclusive mons now?

Link codes.

Meaning you're either limited to trading with people near you so you can swap codes (good chance they don't have what you want), or you have to search out internet forums online and communicate with them and swap link codes just to get what you want.