• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a loss. GTS was fantastic for collecting rare Pokémon to finish the Dex, and they've put a ton of work into improving it - I remember when you had to go to Jubilife City to access it, you could only request seen Pokémon, and you couldn't filter out requests for legendaries. I have no idea what Game Freak is thinking with this move.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I l
It's amusing when I see all the negativity for stuff like this pre-release and then watch it instantly disappear as the game is released at retail to huge sales.

As for this specific trading system, they likely looked at the data and saw that very few people ever used GTS so they were doing a big favor by removing such an unpopular option from the menu systems thereby making them less cumbersome.
omg lol

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak is flat out releasing an unfinished game people.

pop3akns.gif

The benefit of the doubt phase should be over. They should be criticized as harshly as Bethesda or EA for this.

Oh no... This is awful.

It's clear this needs way more time. Yearly releases just do not work for gamefreak anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
People are going to be in for a rude awakening if they legitimately expect that Home will have GTS, and not be a glorified Pokemon Bank reskin.

Oct 25, 2017
Look, maybe the player character is so near-sighted, he couldn't see an giant rock snake from twenty feet away. We should thank Game Freak for simulating his condition.
Of course, how couldn't I have thought of that? Vision-disabilities are very prominent among young children in the UK, and we should thank Game Freak for being so inclusive of these poor folks.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't think of any other series that constantly removes features and has people saying "this is a GOOD thing!"

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Unfinished is a lot more charitable than "shoddy," "bad," "cheap," or "unacceptable" but if you prefer one of those we can do that instead.

I mean, if you want to say they look bad, I agree, but to say the game is unfinished just makes you look like just another salty #Bringbackthenational Pokedex fanboy.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
The real toxic fans are the Game Freak supporters, they dogpile any dissenters with insinuations they are entitled babies.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I'm deeply sorry for the GF team, but...man, people really chose a bad hashtag for this. I sincerely thought it was ironic.

Anyway, I really can't believe there's no GTS. I'm sure there must be an equivalent. It was the best thing that came out from the DS games.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon fans are something else. Any other company would be called out immediately after all this shit, but gamefreak and the pokemon company gets the free pass.
Wait but aren't the people calling out the bullshit being called the toxic pokemon fans?

All I have to say is thank god I only give a shit about the breeding battle/side of the series, I'd be super burned out about pretty much everything else

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any other series that constantly removes features and has people saying "this is a GOOD thing!"

I was there for BRAWL, and then Smash 4's almost complete removal of any meaningful single player. You better believe there were people saying the previous game was "too complex" for them as if any casual player ever cared.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
And pop-in means it's unfinished how?
On its own, it doesn't. It simply means it's VERY poorly optimized to the point where they clearly had to make sure there were never too many models on-screen at once or else the performance would suffer. However, when combined with certain other issues present in the game it paints a pretty clear picture that the game needed more time and was rushed out the door before it was ready. Like how many plot-critical battles don't even have legitimate battle backgrounds. The fights just take place in an empty void. Or you can be on a bridge in the middle of the city and then when the battle starts, the surroundings are as if you're out in the middle of an empty field in the Wild Area.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
this isn't defensible at all.

take the L sometimes...

I am still hyped for the games as I will get serviced for what I want out of it. Doesn't mean every decision made is the right one.

Barring a day one patch some of the stuff shown is rather bad and lacking.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing when I see all the negativity for stuff like this pre-release and then watch it instantly disappear as the game is released at retail to huge sales.

As for this specific trading system, they likely looked at the data and saw that very few people ever used GTS so they were doing a big favor by removing such an unpopular option from the menu systems thereby making them less cumbersome.
Dear lord you're actually going there. I didn't think it was possible that this would get the "well I didn't use it so it's ok to get rid of" defense but here we are.

Also love the logic of "it makes money therefore the complaints are wrong." The Transformers movies are high art.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me the most obvious conclusion is that they changed what its called.
OR it is there and just doesn't feature heavily in the actual text files of the game.
Remember people, theres a lot of different ways for "text" to display in a game, and you can't always search that.

It really irks me how people just jump to conclusions without really knowing anything. People are so easily pissed off at these things
before the damn game is even out yet.

If its true, and there is no equivalent, sure. You have a right to say "I don't like this, I wish they didn't do that"
But I haven't seen any evidence that this is true apart from OP's image that tells us literally nothing.

I'm happy we have dataminers to save us the $60 by showing us all the shit gamefreak kept under wraps.

These guys know what they are doing, it's not the first time they datamine pokemon games.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean, if you want to say they look bad, I agree, but to say the game is unfinished just makes you look like just another salty #Bringbackthenational Pokedex fanboy.
I think Diamond and Pearl and X and Y were unfinished. First games of a generation feeling unfinished is nothing new. I also feel like Wind Waker is unfinished, but I like it. I don't think calling something unfinished is the worst possible criticism ever.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
What? So basically you'll have to know a person and set up a private trade? Even wonder trade was fun.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I have to be missing the /s, right? There's no way you're actually claiming that GameFreak is doing us a big favor by removing a way to easily trade Pokémon, right?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's an unfortunate shame. Presumably there is still some trade system and I can arrange something via Reddit.

I haven't tried trading in Let's Go Pikachu but I did see a passcode trade system in place so I hope at least that returns.

I cannot stand how #ThankYouGameFreak turned into such a sign of facetious mockery.

Pathetic and cruel. Just unbelievable.

I think it's more out of jealousy that it was trending with genuine positive intent but those that were unhappy with the game were also unhappy with this tag trending. As a result those individuals are trying to co-op the hashtag and turn into something else.

See the locked thread about this. Ironically that thread got locked because people wanted to barge in and derail a thread that for once was about being positive and thanking developers in an industry that's known for toxicity.

Oct 25, 2017

plant.jpg

Remember when DP had more than 400 pokemon
The DP remakes will have less Pokemon than the originals.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was there for BRAWL, and then Smash 4's almost complete removal of any meaningful single player.

Lack of single player content is one of the biggest complaints with Smash 4 though. I don't think most people said "I'm glad they cut the Subspace Emissary and replaced it with nothing," even if they didn't like SSE.

But this isn't a Smash thread, so I'll avoid that diversion.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

....this is a joke, right?

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well you don't really need trading at all since they cut most the Pokemon anyway. If its not in the region its been cut so what's the point.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care about the pop-in, it's Pokémon, the games have never been lookers.

When a Pokémon game has less online functionality on the Switch in 2019 than the DS in 2009, something is so deeply wrong with this series direction and development.

Oct 27, 2017
What? So basically you'll have to know a person and set up a private trade? Even wonder trade was fun.
They still have a Wonder Trade equivalent, just renamed. I guess we should have not assumed there more more trading features than we saw in the Y-Comm menu
9_4_trading_1.jpg

Well, at least one person got it. Just was using the official response to why EXP share being always on is now the only way to play.
It's just so hard to tell nowadays. I can see people legit saying that