• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Meh, people acting here like this game is going to be good, Spidey or not these Great Value avengers look bad since day one, go look at any thread about the game.

That's the real issue here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
This is freaking shitty movie, but Sony doesn't really have anything to say about Spider-Man in games? They own some movie rights and thats it? Should we blame Marvel or is there some secret deal with Sony and Disney+Marvel about videogames?

Anyway. Shitty and not needed.
My hypothesis is that Sony isn't leveraging ownership of Spider-Man (which they do not have) to keep him an exclusive character.

More likely it is that Avengers is a AAA game on competing platforms and Sony threw a bunch of money to keep the AAA Spider-Man realm associated with PlayStation consoles. The fact that this is a GaaS that is backwards compatible with/getting a next-gen update for PS5 means they expect people to buy it and base some degree of next-generation console purchasing decisions on that friends list and purchase.

If you guys are mad about this, I suggest saving some energy, because the next year will be a marathon of getting upset.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, people acting here like this game is going to be good, Spidey or not these Great Value avengers look bad since day one, go look at any thread about the game.

That's the real issue here.

the reactions were quite positive after the last war table stream and the AMA. In fact here is my comment in that thread talking about how they turned it around for me lol.

www.resetera.com

New details from Marvel's Avengers (Reddit AMA summary)

They did say that certain upgrades will let you traverse more effectively, OP. You might wanna go back and look at the profiles and just copy/paste their comments because a lot of this is partially wrong or not the full context of what they said.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Eidos Exec "Let's make Anthem with a big IP, say hows Anthem doing nowadays?"
Bethesda tending it's dumpster fire burning out of control "It's going great, you should totally do it"
Another Exec "Lets artificially limit it's roster"
Exec "EXCELLENT!"

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Why isn't MS paying for their own character, they have way more money than sony, and Crystal Dynamics clearly need all the funding they can get. MS could add value to their version if they fund spawn for their version of the game.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My hypothesis is that Sony isn't leveraging ownership of Spider-Man (which they do not have) to keep him an exclusive character.

More likely it is that Avengers is a AAA game on competing platforms and Sony threw a bunch of money to keep the AAA Spider-Man realm associated with PlayStation consoles. The fact that this is a GaaS that is backwards compatible with/getting a next-gen update for PS5 means they expect people to buy it and base some degree of next-generation console purchasing decisions on that friends list and purchase.

If you guys are mad about this, I suggested saving some energy, because the next year will be a marathon of getting upset.
Heh Sony about to open up their wallets.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Microsoft even publish a single game on PlayStation from now on with that kind of attitude Sony has? Even minecraft..

Because Microsoft aren't petty children and know that this is just business. Not to mention, they're doing the same thing.

Did you miss the S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 announce or the Yakuza 7 controversy. Difference here is that Sony has the market position to afford to do it with higher profile titles.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
You're basically selling the same game though, just lesser content on one which is likely the same price.
I mean, that's how exclusivity works.
If the things being said here are true, sony owning rights to spider man, it's a case of them paying to include content that would otherwise not exist in the game as SE wouldn't have the rights to put him in, right?

Last edited:

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sony owns all of Spoder man. I mean Spidor man. I mean Spiper man. Shit they got me I don't have the right to type it any more.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
You're confusing leverage with an actual connection. Point blank Disney is gonna get Spider-Man back one day, this shit is just them playing nice. Games has nothing to do with the films. Bob Iger isn't calling Sony over a freaking game. He doesn't care. Marvel operates autonomously in gaming.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about Sony and them making money off Spider-Man.

This is just that. Even if Disney at the end of the day wants the rights back that "someday" might not happen while either one of us are alive.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
I'm actually surprised this has so many pages. What i mean by that is that i'm surprised people were interested in the game to begin with. It didnt look great to me last time i saw it which was a while ago though. Has the visuals improved?

What you're seeing is that way more people were going to buy the game than anyone would admit to. People like to make fun of it and nitpick every little thing, but they were still going to buy it. I think the end result here is less sales on PC and Xbox, and more sales on Playstation. Might even be more sales overall due to this, but hard to say. Sony must have paid quite a bit to get this though.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Eidos Exec "Let's make Anthem with a big IP, say hows Anthem doing nowadays?"
Bethesda tending it's dumpster fire burning out of control "It's going great, you should totally do it"
Another Exec "Lets artificially limit it's roster"
Exec "EXCELLENT!"

This doesn't seem like a very realistic conversation. What is the context for these 4 execs getting together? Why didn't anybody invite someone from EA if they wanted to know about Anthem?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

If you guys are mad about this, I suggested saving some energy, because the next year will be a marathon of getting upset.
This.

Spidy isn't exclusive because Sony controls the character. He's exclusive because he's the character Sony wanted exclusively.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Judging by the rest of the designs, I'm good with not getting beatnik Spider-Man. I'll get it on PC when it's inevitably $5.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, is the source reliable? because this would easily explain everything about the use of the IP. Also, Marvel/Disney basically made Peter as the one that will succeed Iron Man in the cinematic universe, it would make total sense if they let sony use it for games, since, its not like Marvel can make games whenever it pleases them.
But of course, I have no idea about the contracts/deals/agreements

(Unless it was sarcasm, if so, then sorry)

im right there with you, there's too many coincidences for there not to be some form of agreement in place..but like you I know nothing of the contracts.
Is this even legal what Sony is doing?

not a chance, Microsoft needs to sue Sony here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
people are mad about this but how's this any worse than exclusive games, and we have plenty of those
i really couldn't care less about superhero stuff so...
Pc xbox and ps pay $60 ps gets extra content while xbox and pc pay the same price for less.

Exclusive games are bad if its just to keep it off other platforms not when they are helping to fund the game. Plus typically when the game comes to other platforms it is not missing content

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
4abtg8.jpg

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is an incomplete game. Character, story and mechanics.
Not because of Spider-Man not being in the game at launch though, that's like saying no one gets a complete game because Wolverine isn't in it (going by comics). Spiderman wasn't a core member of Avengers comics. This game isn't MCU, though it could be influenced by it, the same way Arkham Harley designs influenced current Harley in comics and movies.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You think that the people taking a stance against this practice in this thread would change their minds if their preferred platform engaged in it instead?

I don't think so. People have always been critical of exclusives even when it's for thier console. The extent of my anger towards exclusives if definitely affected by how inconvenient it is for me or how interested I was in the game in general. I used to be more hard line about it but relative to the other horrors going on in gaming I kind of long for a time when exclusives was as bad as it got.

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
For those requiring clarification,

"In February 2015, Disney, Marvel Studios, and Sony announced a deal to share the Spider-Man film rights, leading to a new iteration of Spider-Man being introduced and integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The deal allowed Sony Pictures to continue to own, finance, distribute, and have final creative control of the solo Spider-Man films, with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures distributing the films with his other appearances."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_in_film

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't MS paying for their own character, they have way more money than sony, and Crystal Dynamics clearly need all the funding they can get. MS could add value to their version if they fund spawn for their version of the game.

This is a good question and I'd be curious to know the answer, because to the best of my knowledge this is how these exclusive type deals always work, one company pays for some exclusive content and the other company plays for their own version of that same exclusive content.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Spider-Man PS4. I am implying that the Insomniac game was part of a larger deal, possibly including this exclusivity, but nobody knows.
But the Sony Disney rights deal that you talked about earlier happened in 2019. Spider-Man ps4 happened in 2018. I'm going to guess they had nothing to do with each other

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the exclusivity that bothers me so much in isolation. If I wind up wanting the game I'd happily buy it on PS4 to get the "complete" version. My bigger issue as I learned with Mortal Kombat 9 after buying it for Kratos, is that Sony can't be trusted with BC.

I'd prefer not to buy multiplats on PlayStation because I don't think they take backwards compatibility seriously enough to warrant me buying multis with them.

So yeah, this will play on PS5 I'm sure. But on PS6? Not as confident.

That nature of this game and if it's still going by then, I could see this having a great chance to be on PS6.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
PS4 beta is soon for this weekend. People are buying access to a beta.
Sony, Avengers and Spider-Man have been trending on twitter for hours now. Regardless how big this game would be without Spider-Man, it just got a lot bigger. Crystal Dynamics seem to have pulled off a triple AAA Avengers game AND they just announced Spider-Man as a PlayStation exclusive. If the beta gets good buzz this has everything to become one Of the monster hits of the new generation. Getting Spider-Man on my PS4 copy is amazing, but I'm still excited to play the game on PC with my friends as well. This can become bigger than Destiny, a PS5 console seller AND still get loads of play from XBox and PC players.

Omg LOL

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the reaction will be when Sony teams up with Tim Sweeney to keep a game/content PS5+EGS exclusive.