• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Expect both console makers to invest heavily in exclusives; console, timed or content exclusives. They'll try to do everything possible to get ahead at the start of the new gen. That's just hoe it work unfortunately.

Even if this is on last gen, it will continue to the BC version on PS5.

I wasn't going to buy the game so it won't affect me this time, but in general I think these type of deals are bad for the industry.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What gets me is that this isn't even the 'worst' of it judging from what people have been saying. Sounds like Sony has been opening up their wallet big time to secure 3rd party content and whole titles. There isn't enough salt shakers in the world that can prepare us for the coming months.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
can xbox players at least get someone big since we have spider-man?

Hulk is green, make him Xbox

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Spiderman was in ultimate alliance last year. Imagine if MvC4 had Captain American exclusive to the Xbox version forever. Shitty move.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
This is the first (second, if you count Athia) in a series of very big Sony x Square Enix collaborations. I was expecting to see them in this month's SoP, but now I'm not sure how are they getting announced.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Everyone could just have this, every platform and Sony would still have the highest sales for this game on both generations. This just serves to hurt gamers and Marvel fans.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong on so many levels and some people will find a way to defend this and say it's ok

One thing it's to have 1 month exclusivity like on the Call of Duty DLCs but having one of the more famous super heroes character exclusive to one console ecosystem? that is super anti

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Make someone like Wolverine exclusive to xbox (which actually not bad because Xmen, Xbox, lol), deadpool to pc, and watch the whole world burn yeeeeeee!

p.s. I hate this.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I had planned on buying this on my One X because I no longer own a PS4, even though I plan on buying both Series X and PS5. Not sure I want to support this now, guess I'll try the beta and go from there. I guess this rules out cross play too?
I don't think cross play is planned. Only within console ecosystems

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I have no interest in this game, but if I do end up playing it eventually, I'll let you guys know it Spidey's worth it

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
There were a lot of deals going back and forth with Sony Pictures and Disney / Marvel when it came to Spider-Man and the Avengers and whatnot. It's kinda blurry what all those deals were. The current public statement seems to be that Sony owns the film rights and Disney / Marvel owns the rest. But with Spider-Man getting PS exclusive games and now this, I'm thinking there's more to it. However, Spidey was in MUA3 on the Switch, so who knows what anymore.
Spiderman is in Ultimate Alliance 3 though, which makes things quite weird. Edit: I somehow missed your last sentence

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is ridiculous. Everyone should have access to Peter. Give the PS consoles a Spidey-PS4 skin.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think Sony simply "doesn't own" the IP rights for games. It wouldn't surprise me if after the debacle a few years ago, Sony made the IP a shared one in terms of games a condition for Marvel.

Both a expected move.. and a shitty one.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite me owning a PS4, they just lost a sale with this stupidity. I won't support this.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era Meltdown incoming. I'm happy PlayStation is getting Spider-Man but that's wack for every other player on other platforms.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true.

I always wondered why don't other publishers do the Soul Caliber exclusive deal. I thought was neat having a different character per platform.
Well, I don't think it really benefits anyone lol What happens to the 360 player that likes Vader? Or viceversa? Sure, the 360 player that really loves Yoda is cool with it, but...

The obvious solution is: make these things three months/six months/even a year (given this is a long term GaaS, in theory) exclusive, let the other ones play it later. IF your game has enough content, no one will be sad to miss a character for a few months.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Can we get a threadmark showing that Sony don't own the rights to Spider-Man in video games? Lot of misinformation about that fact being passed around here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
People really thinking Sony created and owns Spider-Man in here, I guess the bullshit marketing is working

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Doesn't this kill the possibilty of cross-play? Unless PS gets its own bubble again...

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This is the first (second, if you count Athia) in a series of very big Sony x Square Enix collaborations. I was expecting to see them in this month's SoP, but now I'm not sure how are they getting announced.
Lemme get my megaphone out.

Ahem......

My name is Transistor and staff has been provided evidence that this user indeed has knowledge into such subjects.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't be thinking "Well then MS should make this content exclusive!" etc. That kind of arms race has no winners in the long run.

It does kinda worry me about how aggressive Sony will be with exclusives if MS ends up doing much better next gen than this gen. I'm also hoping MS doesn't go the permanent exclusiveness way as well.

I don't want next gen to be: "Well the PC version is the best looking and playing, but is missing these characters. The PS5 version has exclusive character A. The Xbox version has exclusive character B. The Switch version has exclusive character C and has a fun exclusive mode".

is a next gen patch-timed exclusive actually better than this?

Exclusive bullshit is exclusive bullshit but at least that is timed and not permanent.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even mad. I doubt I'd want to play as Spidey, he was one of my least played in Marvel Heroes. Grats to PS4/5 players though, I wonder if Sony paid for his .. well he would have showed up eventually, maybe they sped up his inclusion, and other platforms will get him later.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't own Spider-Man

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Switch, 2019)

spidermanglitch.jpg

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (PS4, Xbox One, PC, 2017)

maxresdefault.jpg

Disney Infinity (Basically everything, 2014 - 2016)

61I24jnzdBL.jpg

Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, PC, 2017)

lego-marvel.jpg

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people touting the "at no additional cost" line when all the characters are free? Y'all twitter goons really do free marketing huh.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm just looking at it at a sheer content angle and am baffled. There is only 7 launch characters. Making an entire character exclusive is a ton of value completely removed from 2 versions of the game. If there were like 20 characters it wouldn't be so bad but it's already slim pickings. Fuck.