• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
A shame, but fortunately there are still plenty of options that do have one.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
A shame, but fortunately there are still plenty of options that do have one.
i hope at the very least phones adopt a new standard connector. i can accept being forced to get an adapter or new set of headphones if it means i still have a dedicated audio out port that can be used while charging

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, all these phone companies love making sure I'll never buy their products. Thanks, Samsung!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this points towards the next Galaxy S not having the jack either?

RIP 3.5mm jack — it was a good run while it lasted.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So, what's the logic behind these phone companies ditching the headphone jack? I'd understand it if they had overpriced, easily lost wireless earbuds to sell (Apple, Samsung, etc...), but plenty of these phone companies don't, yet they're still abandoning the headphone jack.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the logic behind these phone companies ditching the headphone jack? I'd understand it if they had overpriced, easily lost wireless earbuds to sell (Apple, Samsung, etc...), but plenty of these phone companies don't, yet they're still abandoning the headphone jack.
It's a needless expense, as it's been shown that people in the high-end market really don't care about the jack. They either go wireless or make do with a dongle.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck that shit what are you doing? what's the point of having a big ass super expensive phone that doesn't do all the things?

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Android users to get dragged into the wireless future kicking and screaming. Everyone knew this was coming when Apple did it. No surprise.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the S10+ basically a Note? I mean the stylist is nice to have, but I've had the Note 8 and Note 4 for years and really I only use it as a gimmick.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I haven't actually used wired on my S10 since getting the free galaxy buds. I'm sure they have some statistics to back up the idea of removing it based on S10 usage, but that's a bit jaded at best considering most everyone got them for free and wouldn't shell out over a hundred on headphones otherwise. If they're dropping it, then I hope all their new releases come with free buds on the pre-order.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
lol, i know it wont happen but we should all agree to skip apple and samsung for a generation or two so they will get their shit together.

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks, but the reality of the market they are in is that enough people who opt for the top of the line phones don't value the inclusion of the headphone jack because they have wireless headphones. Most of these companies have lower tier version of their phones (Google Pixel 3a, Samsung Galaxy A line) all have a headphone jack. Plus the other budget phones from Motorola, LG, etc.

I expect that one company will release a top end device in a generation or two with a headphone jack.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've fully moved into the Bluetooth camp (love my Galaxy Buds), so this doesn't bother me (I can't remember the last time I plugged anything in my Note 8's headphone jack).

I get why people are upset though.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The fact that they'd drop the headphone jack but keep that stupid Bixby button is like a knife in my chest. I'm glad that I'm happy enough with my Note9 to not feel eager to upgrade.
I've fully moved into the Bluetooth camp (love my Galaxy Buds), so this doesn't bother me (I can't remember the last time I plugged anything in my Note 8's headphone jack).

I get why people are upset though.
I use it on planes and it the unfortunate event that I forget to charge my BT headphones. Airlines seem to be loosening up on demanding that you turn on Airplane Mode though so at least there's that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need a new phone. If the 10 comes with the buds i will get it, if not i will get a 9

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
I've been loving my note 8 ever since I got it. Now I have to switch brands again?

On the plus side, I've (finally) at least found a use for Bluetooth headphones, waterproof ones are great at the pool since the phone is basically waterproof. For every day use though, my Bose QC25s are still amazing, and I still can't imagine how pissed I'd be if Bluetooth headphones cut out while someone was chewing gum or something.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I upgraded to an S10 today. I don't know if I could give up the jack cold turkey.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
my s10+ has the jack and it's never used. can get decent wireless buds that sound good.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Android users to get dragged into the wireless future kicking and screaming. Everyone knew this was coming when Apple did it. No surprise.

You seem to be right. The future of forced obsolescence of perfectly good accessories with no functional benefit to the user and increased cost is indeed upon us.

It's a shame really.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Only way I'm cool with this is if Samsung include Galaxy Buds in the box with the Note 10.

Not tryna spend another $100+ just to listen to music on some buds.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
One less part to manufacture and the greater market doesn't really seem to care.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I own a Pixel 2, I use my Bose QC 35s daily, but ... I still have use for wired. And I've definitely run into I want to use wired, but my phone is charging issues.

Not to mention my audio is often off from video on a Bluetooth connection.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
RIP headphone jack on the S11.

Can't ditch Samsung yet since I'm too attached to Samsung Pay and they tend to have more features than other OEMs, but things like this will make it much easier to jump ship if and when I do.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
They must be out of their minds. This news plus it's inevitable higher price tags (especially ones with 5G) will cost them a lot of sales & will lead to more people like myself who are on the fence to pick up the Note 9 instead.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Only way I'm cool with this is if Samsung include Galaxy Buds in the box with the Note 10.

Not tryna spend another $100+ just to listen to music on some buds.
I wonder how much is this a way to cut costs by not providing pack in earphones?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
my s10+ has the jack and it's never used. can get decent wireless buds that sound good.

Yes you can. But, you can't get wireless headphones that sound as good as the headphones I've been using for 10 years now last I checked.

This is good for people who don't care (well, if there is a benefit in some other way like a larger battery or cheaper price... Is there?). But for people who like to use wired headphones, or use both wireless and wired (like me) it's frustrating.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a shame if they remove it going forward. I've had nothing but issues with my galaxy buds so I like having the wired option.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Yes you can. But, you can't get wireless headphones that sound as good as the headphones I've been using for 10 years now last I checked.

This is good for people who don't care (well, if there is a benefit in some other way like a larger battery or cheaper price... Is there?). But for people who like to use wired headphones, or use both wireless and wired (like me) it's frustrating.
then get a phone that caters to high end audio quality? you seem to value that a lot. a lot seem fine with using some generic sony or skull candy noise canceling wireless buds that sound perfecy fine with spotify or apple music.