• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected, they want that wireless money selling those shitty earbuds like Apple. Create the problem and sell the solution.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
michael-jordan-lauggh.gif

I had a genuine chuckle as I read the title

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
then get a phone that caters to high end audio quality? you seem to value that a lot. a lot seem fine with using some generic sony or skull candy noise canceling wireless buds that sound perfecy fine with spotify or apple music.

I mean, that's exactly what I've done. Would be nice to have some viable options outside of LG phones but I totally understand it is a relatively niche concern for most.

In general I wish there was a bit more differentiation or focus on different things. I'd trade one of the half dozen camera sensors most flagships seem to focus on for a better battery life for example.

So what's the upside of the jack being taken out here for consumers? Obviously it's cheaper for Samsung, but does that lead to a cheaper phone or some additional functionality?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's exactly what I've done. Would be nice to have some viable options outside of LG phones but I totally understand it is a relatively niche concern for most.

In general I wish there was a bit more differentiation or focus on different things. I'd trade one of the half dozen camera sensors most flagships seem to focus on for a better battery life for example.

So what's the upside of the jack being taken out here for consumers? Obviously it's cheaper for Samsung, but does that lead to a cheaper phone or some additional functionality?
customers don't seem to mind, though. lets them design how they want to.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
then get a phone that caters to high end audio quality? you seem to value that a lot. a lot seem fine with using some generic sony or skull candy noise canceling wireless buds that sound perfecy fine with spotify or apple music.
Well the problem is there is not a lot of phones that cater to high end audio quality. The only phone I can think of off the top of my head is the LG G6 which had a high-end DAC in the phone. Only option is to start looking at DAP's but then that's just carrying another device around which is inconvenient.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Well the problem is there is not a lot of phones that cater to high end audio quality. The only phone I can think of off the top of my head is the LG G6 which had a high-end DAC in the phone. Only option is to start looking at DAP's but then that's just carrying another device around which is inconvenient.

All the LG V and G phones have the high end DAC. There is some regional fuckery though so make sure you go for the right model. I'll probably get a G7 for my next phone (last years model) because they are pretty capable and also getting cheap.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
All the LG V and G phones have the high end DAC. There is some regional fuckery though so make sure you go for the right model. I'll probably get a G7 for my next phone (last years model) because they are pretty capable and also getting cheap.
Yeah isn't the Korean model like the best version or something?

They are pretty capable phones though that go cheap fast so the G7 isn't a bad choice, I just don't like LG's skin on Android tbh.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah isn't the Korean model like the best version or something?

They are pretty capable phones though that go cheap fast so the G7 isn't a bad choice, I just don't like LG's skin on Android tbh.

They usually have 2 versions of the phones. One with the good DAC, one without. I think America got shafted with one of the phones (maybe several), some european countries etc. It's weirdly confusing. I'm in Australia, and the G7 here has the good audio but the newly released G8 doesn't (it does in most regions).

But, I'd rather pay half the price for last years model anyway so doesn't bother me too much.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they're still gonna make a joke about it on stage like they used to lol

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
LG needs to adopt Android One. I'll consider them once they ditch their garbage skin. Looks like Sony might be my next Android phone.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's so weird seeing people here be like "it's about time, i'm glad it's gone" like if you use wireless pods literally what does it matter to you if it's there or not.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
LG is the last outlier on flagships now, yes?

I can't imagine that lasting long.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Such courage!

I'd jump to wireless headphones in an instant if I could find ones as comfortable as my wired ones.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But I just switched to Samsung last year. Fuck.

I'm not buying new fucking headphones, I already spent hundreds on the pair I have now. Why would I want something less reliable and worse sounding?

I'm beginning to think this is the Bad Place.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I hardly ever use the headphone jack on my Note 9. But I'm not happy about not having the option to do so without needing a dongle. Let's see how the market responds, Samsung has reversed decisions before on consumer demand.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Keyless entry into my house, keyless start/stop for my car, Bluetooth wireless (connected to phone)sound system audio for House & Car.
Wireless earbuds (watch/phone)when I workout or when walking around.

It's a wireless world boys.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the modern complaints about meaningless shit this one has affected me the most. So not meaningless.

Jul 3, 2019
Vertical integration, got to sell those wireless headphones baby!
(Also I do slightly enjoy this especially after Samsung clowning on Apple for it lol)

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I used wireless headphones for most of my daily listening and this still drives me mad. I can't stand not having the option. It's ridiculous and unnecessary, and whenever we have this thread, the biggest argument in favor of getting rid of the jack seems to be "well wireless is better" which...doesn't have anything to do with it.

Anyway, I've got and LG G6, I'm about due for an upgrade. Can anyone recommend any good Android flagship phones with a headphone jack?

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phones are boring. Cellphone sales need to start tanking so we can start seeing some wacky shit come out again.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keyless entry into my house, keyless start/stop for my car, Bluetooth wireless (connected to phone)sound system audio for House & Car.
Wireless earbuds (watch/phone)when I workout or when walking around.

It's a wireless world boys.

I don't understand these posts. Wireless is convenient for lots of things. I also have keyless entry for my car, and bluetooth. I also have the option to use an audio jack or the key if I want.

It's really weird that some people are okay with removing more options just because they don't use them.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Owning a Pixel 2XL has completely assuaged whatever fear of losing the 3.5mm jack I had.
Was a quick and relatively painless transition to wireless standards for me personally.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since the last update, my S8+ has sounded like straight trash through Bluetooth. I've tried changing settings through the dev options, such as codec and quality. They just switch right back. It seriously sounds so bad I can't listen to it.

So, I am pretty turned off of losing the headphone jack.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand these posts. Wireless is convenient for lots of things. I also have keyless entry for my car, and bluetooth. I also have the option to use an audio jack or the key if I want.

It's really weird that some people are okay with removing more options just because they don't use them.

Okay yea I do have options for all those things I mentioned but in reality how many people do use the the option?

I don't know if there is any positives for phone hardware designers to leave the 3.5mm jack off or on.

Last edited:

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
This is why I said F it and went with S10+. That and it's still going to have the same innards as the galaxy 10 series but with what I would call minor changes. Next year is the big stuff with the next level camera hardware and everything and I will eventually end up with an S11 anyway. I have no need for the S pen.

Oct 25, 2017
I used wireless headphones for most of my daily listening and this still drives me mad. I can't stand not having the option. It's ridiculous and unnecessary, and whenever we have this thread, the biggest argument in favor of getting rid of the jack seems to be "well wireless is better" which...doesn't have anything to do with it.

Anyway, I've got and LG G6, I'm about due for an upgrade. Can anyone recommend any good Android flagship phones with a headphone jack?
The Galaxy s10?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Could removing the headphone jack result in a larger battery?
Very very slightly at best. With how big phones are, and how headphone jacks are stuck along the edges, it's often used more for better speaker routing, or more room for other small components.

And its weird, my phone has a headphone jack that I use regularly that also somehow weirdly works with wireless buds too (that I ALSO use regularly). What sort of dark magic is this? I thought I needed to lose features to live in the future?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I don't care anymore. My phone has a headphone jack (S8+), and I only use Bluetooth earbuds and headphones.

I'm sure the majority of people are the same way.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
I use the jack for noise cancelling earbuds when exercising. I don't think there's a good wireless substitute for that yet, at least from Bose, who did a good enough job with the in-ears...

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that they leave it off to get that higher Water resistance rating easier.
Higher than 68? No, chief. That doesn't fly, they achieved 68 with a headphone jack and a stylus slot.

Anything higher would requiere to dispose of all holes.