• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
I like my wired headphones since there aren't a single set of earbuds that stay in my ears I've found yet. No jack, no phone for me. I'll hang onto my S9 for fucking ever.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very very slightly at best. With how big phones are, and how headphone jacks are stuck along the edges, it's often used more for better speaker routing, or more room for other small components.

And its weird, my phone has a headphone jack that I use regularly that also somehow weirdly works with wireless buds too (that I ALSO use regularly). What sort of dark magic is this? I thought I needed to lose features to live in the future?
Are you saying you don't have to choose between one or the other? But all these people telling me Wireless is the future and the only way that can be is to remove the headphone jack.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It never fails, the people who get screwed complain, and the ones who this literally won't effective positively or negatively in either way come in and shit on them. You guys already have your wireless headphones, and they'll continue to work whether or not there is a 3.5mm port.

Oct 25, 2017
It never fails, the people who get screwed complain, and the ones who this literally won't effective positively or negatively in either way come in and shit on them. You guys already have your wireless headphones, and they'll continue to work whether or not there is a 3.5mm port.
My skepticism stems from me doubting that half the people complaining were actually going to buy a 10 note.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If they start doing this on the galaxy s line then it'll be another company I'm done with. Hope not though, I don't give a shit about making it thinner or whatever the excuse is.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if there were actually comfortable wireless earbuds available. The current ones are shit.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying you don't have to choose between one or the other? But all these people telling me Wireless is the future and the only way that can be is to remove the headphone jack.
Well then it MUST be true ;)

Man, if Samsung ditches the headphone jack for the S11....

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's something shocking.

Everytime Apple does something, certain Android companies will make fun of Apple for doing something, and then copy it 2 years later and pretend nothing happened.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
All I want to do is use my earbuds and charge my phone at night. It's pathetic they're removing that ability with out clunky, pricey accessories. I'll probably buy another brand now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It was gonna happen eventually. I wonder when we'll start to see things like pc cases and laptops start to remove them, if usb c replaced id be fine but usb c headphones as a standard has been a huge mess plus apple's reluctance to move to it hurts the industry adoption.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but high-end Android phones are becoming more and more iPhone-like. Why not just go for the real thing if you don't care about stuff like customization?

Probably because of that really big if. There's still a lot of stuff that Samsung is doing that iPhones don't.

And, since we're talking about the note...the s-pen is still something the iphone doesn't have, lol. I use it all the time.

But yeah, if you don't care about one of the biggest reasons to stick with android, then I could understand switching to apple.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I better take great care of my S9 cuz it looks like this is the last phone I'll ever get!!! YAAAAY!

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's something shocking.

Everytime Apple does something, certain Android companies will make fun of Apple for doing something, and then copy it 2 years later and pretend nothing happened.
And, as in this case, delete the ads where they made fun of it from their YouTube channels.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Even as a very happy owner of the gear buds, this is a damn shame, especially on the supposedly do everything halo model. Note 10 will be an incredible media machine.

Will get a s10 next year, so I'll be covered for the foreseeable future. But it'll be a slightly sour taste once I get the Sammy phone after that.

For those who have an older note phone, time to upgrade to the note 9, for everyone else, the S10 series are excellent phones that will last a very long time.

Apart from software support, the note 9 will last you for years. Just root and flash the phone in 2-3 years if you want further versions of android. Can see the note 9 lasting till 2023 easily, if you take care of it.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a very happy owner of the gear buds, this is a damn shame, especially on the supposedly do everything halo model. Note 10 will be an incredible media machine.

Will get a s10 next year, so I'll be covered for the foreseeable future. But it'll be a slightly sour taste once I get the Sammy phone after that.

For those who have an older note phone, time to upgrade to the note 9, for everyone else, the S10 series are excellent phones that will last a very long time.

Apart from software support, the note 9 will last you for years. Just root and flash the phone in 2-3 years if you want further versions of android. Can see the note 9 lasting till 2023 easily, if you take care of it.
I have the galaxy earbuds and like them well enough, but they dont work for shit for me for games or video, theres a very noticeable delay. I get that with any blu tooth.

I also generally just like the convenience of being able to plug in a cable to my car or any random speaker without having to think about it.

Ive stuck with samsung over oneplus or pixel thanks to the jack, if they dont have it on the s12 I doubt I stay with them, as if I have to say goodbye i'd probably go pixel, extremely begrudgingly.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So, what's the logic behind these phone companies ditching the headphone jack? I'd understand it if they had overpriced, easily lost wireless earbuds to sell (Apple, Samsung, etc...), but plenty of these phone companies don't, yet they're still abandoning the headphone jack.

Well so far every company thats done it sells wireless headbuds. So overall its a money grab. Make everyone buy new headsets from you.

The odd thing is, its a clear cash grab; but boneheaded consumers support and cheer for it. This is a new era man. Its not really hard to see why companies would do this even when they dont have to considering people will literally cheer them for doing so.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
True Wireless earbuds seem like they're gettin pretty good these days, I'll probably finally shell out for a pair in the next 12 months. The living hell that is the usbc-3.5 adapter on my Pixel 3 will be relegated to the ashbin of history. I look forward to telling people then that headphone jacks are a relic gosh move on people ha ha!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just use a dongle?
Gee, I wonder why people don't want a fragile dongle hanging out of the bottom of their phone, specifically one plugged into the port used for charging. Would you like to be forced to use the same thing if you wanted to use wireless headphones? Yeah, of course you wouldn't.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well so far every company thats done it sells wireless headbuds. So overall its a money grab. Make everyone buy new headsets from you.
Except that the phones themselves typically include compatible wired headphones and/or a dongle, so there is no need to go wireless. Plus there's no guarantee that anyone buying the phone will purchase the manufacturer's brand of wireless headset. If it's some kind of conspiracy to sell wireless headphones, it's pretty ill-conceived.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Gee, I wonder why people don't want a fragile dongle hanging out of the bottom of their phone, specifically one plugged into the port used for charging. Would you like to be forced to use the same thing if you wanted to use wireless headphones? Yeah, of course you wouldn't.
I just keep it on my headphones. It's just not really an issue for me, sorry.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I too believe the Note 9 will be my last Samsung phone then. You know what I like? Being able to listen to the god damn radio and not use data to stream music that's still gettin' filled with fuckin' ads and crap.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Luckily mid-range phones are bringing the jack back so that will be my happy settling ground.