• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Coming out of Nintendo World Report.

Nintendo's reasoning is that, with global leaderboards, the matchmaking for competitive play would be compromised if you could play with friends. That limitation also extends to co-op play as well despite those not being leaderboard driven.

Assuming this is accurate, it may be the single dumbest move Nintendo has ever made in its' entire history of online gameplay.

It's possible that that representative at this event was misunderstood - but considering they had an official explanation at the ready, it seems potientially accurate.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
the matchmaking for competitive play would be compromised if you could play with friends
'It looks like you're playing with one or multiple friends. Your score won't be registered for the online global leaderboards'

Fixed. Nintendo please.

At least local multiplayer on one system is a thing.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure why anyone is surprised. Splatoon 2 was awful for playing with friends too.

Nintendo has such bizarre online in 2019. It's like they haven't seen what the Ps4 + XOne can do

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said it when they showe the Direct that they only showed it with randoms. They never showed friends. This company is seriously shit with online. Why the fuck would I care to play with random people. Give me FRIENDS

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Such a fucking Nintendo move. Here I am thinking Nintendo made a great move in including online multiplayer so I can play with friends who have copies of the game and have a party mode where we can battle it out with unlimited levels...and of course Nintendo would bungle that up.

$20 sure is improving Nintendo's online services huh.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think they'd have a "with friends" option that has no impact on rankings/leaderboards but alas...

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just don't understand how they always fuck up at least one thing in the online of their games. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually smart because it encourages you to meet with your friends in real life. Nintendo is just encouraging a healthy social life. Thank you miyamoto and friends

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
'It looks like you're playing with one or multiple friends. Your score won't be registered for the online global leaderboards'

Fixed. Nintendo please.

At least local multiplayer on one system is a thing.
This makes sense and was done in many many games before with success but of course it wouldn't work in Nintendo games. Nintendo games are special.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb. I could understand the lack of local multi but not this. Bet this will be patched.

Oct 25, 2017
This, combined with Mario Kart Tour not having online just keep hitting new lows with Nintendo's idea of even the most basic services their key games should offer.

And now to wait for the inevitable defense posts.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that was basically the only thing that I was still considering buying the game for.

Actually what the hell though, what possible reason could there be for that?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo keeps pushing the boundaries of Online Play. I have no idea how they manage to keep banging one nonsensical decision after another.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
What nooo :( I was really excited to play with my online friend. Surely it couldn't be so hard to implement a leaderboard-less mode for friends...

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well there goes like 25% of what I was looking forward to with this game. Jesus.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It infuriates me that they wasted time on ranking and leaderboards for a game that I would only ever play for shenanigans with my friends.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Wow I don't want to believe it but Nintendo also gave us an app on our phones to make parties rather than something built into the console so I can believe it despite the fact I don't want to. That's a day one sale gone, then.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Now that their online service is no longer free I thought they'd stop this mess..guess not.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Some will somehow spin this into a positive
"I prefer playing against random people because... reasons, I DO OK!?" This is actually something I've read before in a Nintendo-related thread lol, for real.

Wow, that really is a Nintendo kind of choice. It's so fucking stupid that I can't even get mad anymore because that's just how Nintendo is when it comes to online. Maybe have a "With friends" mode that disregards leaderboards and whatnot? How hard could it be?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This better be fixed, playing with friends was the main reason I was interested in buying it day one

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo once again proving that they're one step ahead of everyone with being dumb with their online services.

Status
Not open for further replies.