• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope this is taken into cnsideration in the reviews. It was pretty irritating that ultimate's scores didn't get to reflect how the online is all jacked up
So they are going to give Mario maker 2 a lower score than Mario maker 1 because it's online isn't 100% complete even though Mario maker 1 had no online play at all?

Did they lower the scores of Mario maker 1 since it had no online play at all?

Oct 25, 2017
So they are going to give Mario maker 2 a lower score than Mario maker 1 because it's online isn't 100% complete even though Mario maker 1 had no online play at all?

No they should give it a lower score because it requires paid online subscription to have access to functionality that is a big hook of this game, which other games of this genre don't require, and on top of that dropping the ball with the paid online functionality aspects.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This is so disingenuous. You know very well that the number of people specifically buying Mario Maker 2 for this just announced online mode is absolutely minimal. Yep, it's a stupid design decision. But "cancelled my pre-order!!!" children on the internet totally undermine any sort of serious discussion about it.
I mean I was only getting it to play online with my friend.
I didn't care about mario maker 2 before the online announcement (often saying I would only get it if it had online play with my friends) but after I was game to get it.
my friend also cancelled his preorder because the only reason he was getting it was to play with me.
most of my other friends are still getting it though *shrugs*

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For real, usually people are being hyperbolic, but there's nothing hyperbolic about being mad about this. This is truly ridiculous and I too have friends who are now passing on it. I'm still getting it because I'd have got it even if it didn't have any online multiplayer, but I am bummed about it.
My nephews moved from Ohio to NY and this would've been a way for us to game together from a distance. Nintendo just lost two copies as that was the only reason I had to buy the games for us.

Back to Fortnite groups I guess. Online play with friends is that important to some of us.
The only online multiplayer(if you can call it that) I care about on this game is being able to share levels and play other people's creations, personally I don't care about the online multiplayer on levels, I'll just say it's a shame it's limited to random people. Although gotta love the hypocrisy of people being outraged for a feature they just learned about two weeks ago not being what they hoped for and now it's a dealbreaker, they weren't going to buy the game anyway.

This is one of those threads on ResetEra that makes me think I'm on Reddit or 4chan. But carry on, at least it's hillarious to read, the ones hoping for the game to fail because of this, you're the ones stealing the show, heh.

Yeah you can stick your symphathy up your ass, but at least you tried.
You not caring means fuck all to those of actually do. Laugh it up.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I was only getting it to play online with my friend.
I didn't care about mario maker 2 before the online announcement (often saying I would only get it if it had online play with my friends) but after I was game to get it.
my friend also cancelled his preorder because the only reason he was getting it was to play with me.
most of my other friends are still getting it though *shrugs*

ok but really, you're a tiny minority because this feature was only announced two weeks ago. So like, if you decided you wanted a game and then decided you didn't want that game anymore within two weeks- cool, you didn't waste much time on it. No damage done. Ultimately, it has basically no impact at all on your life.

You not caring means fuck all to those of actually do. Laugh it up.

How much can people actually care about a feature that was only announced two weeks ago? You're acting like this is a fundamental part of the entire series identity. It's not.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
This is so disingenuous. You know very well that the number of people specifically buying Mario Maker 2 for this just announced online mode is absolutely minimal. Yep, it's a stupid design decision. But "cancelled my pre-order!!!" children on the internet totally undermine any sort of serious discussion about it.

The amount of eyes on this game will dwarf the first one considering the Switch's mindshare. They dedicated a chunk of the direct to this feature because they knew how much buzz "online mario maker" would create. That was a huge part of the excitement coming out of that direct. I'm not interested in dealing with hyperbolic reactions like you're talking about, but I'm sure this newly revealed limited online functionality is a blow to people like me who were excited SPECIFICALLY because of online.

Too bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh ok, great talk.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Playing online with friends is the entire reason I was going to buy this.
Just disable leaderboards when playing with friends.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Defense force clocking in a little late today I see.
It is entertaining to see the rabid ones with the defense of "you didn't know about this feature before 2 weeks ago"

When that is all you can come up with, why bother trying to defend at all? There is no defense for being able to play with randoms only.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
So lame dude... why does Nintendo suck so bad at anything online. Just implement decent online functionality with your games other company's have been doing it for over 15 years. Good lord this is infuriating

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They dedicated a chunk of the direct to this feature because they knew how much buzz "online mario maker" would create. That was a huge part of the excitement coming out of that direct.

No it wasn't? It was just one feature mentioned amongst many. The main thing mentioned on era, twitter, reddit, game sites etc was the 3D World mode, and all the new course building options, seeing as that's the actual point of the game. The online component did not gather considerable hype whatsoever. People were much more anxious to know if they could play couch co-op.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo's incompetence when it comes to online has massively held them back as a company. Online has been the driving factor in the growth of the gaming industry the last few years and Nintendo has damn well near totally missed the boat.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
ok but really, you're a tiny minority because this feature was only announced two weeks ago. So like, if you decided you wanted a game and then decided you didn't want that game anymore within two weeks- cool, you didn't waste much time on it. No damage done. Ultimately, it has basically no impact at all on your life.
wrong. Nintendo being this stupid angered me and caused me my productivity today :P
I had also spent a decent amount of time convincing my friend to get it. As well as trying to figure out when we could play together because I like planning things well in advance.

I get it, it's not important to you, but please don't try to act like it's a trivial amount of people that are upset by this. Plenty of people have fond memories of playing mario with their friends while growing up and no longer live near their friends :/

that being said, I doubt it significantly hurts the sales of mario maker 2. it will still make tons of profit even if everyone that is even slightly upset by this boycotted it *shrugs*

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jfc Nintendo. This is a problem they've never had before (usually they only have the online friend component) and if it really is because of leaderboards, they've literally already solved it in their other games! How on Earth did they fuck this up??! I can only hope that they're working on a lobby system ala Smash and Arms, but I'm not holding my breath for this fucking company when it comes to online.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wrong. Nintendo being this stupid angered me and caused me my productivity today :P

Ok pal, but maybe you need to assess your priorities if news about a video game is affecting your actual real life.

I get it, it's not important to you, but please don't try to act like it's a trivial amount of people that are upset by this. Plenty of people have fond memories of playing mario with their friends while growing up and no longer live near their friends :/

I mean, it is a trivial amount of people who are upset by this, because the majority of people who will buy the game won't even know about this feature yet as it was only announced two weeks ago, and the actual proper mainstream marketing campaign for the game hasn't even started yet.

I'm sorry you can't play with your friends, but two weeks ago, before this feature was announced, you were in exactly the same boat, so I really, really, really don't understand how this can be anything other than a mild disappointment.

You didn't see Mario Maker 2 get announced and spend months building up hype about playing online with friends. You just found out about that feature. Then you spent two weeks thinking you'd be able to play this game online with friends. Then you found out you couldn't. Oh well, never mind. You're back where you were two weeks ago. It has no real impact on your life.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
No it wasn't? It was just one feature mentioned amongst many. The main thing mentioned on twitter, reddit, game sites etc was the 3D World mode, and all the new course building options, seeing as that's the actual point of the game.

Alright friend you got this. I'm sure limiting online play to randoms will go over well in 2019 because 3D World assets are in building mode. We'll all regale our friends of incredible creations that they too can experience on their own, in this game that clearly has online MP but doesn't allow invites or private lobbies because leaderboards.

🙌

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I wonder why they decided to go complete 180, going from always pushing online being with friends only, to online co-op being with randoms only. It's the complete opposite thing I would have expected. But its come with the territory of Nintendo ways of thinking...

I doubt this will effect sales and reviews much though. The game is still a great update on the first one with a lot of new added features/extras. The only big downside is lack of 4 player co-op online with friends.

Last edited:

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why are review scores important other than console war bullshit?
I don't care that much about the literal numbers, I won't presume that reviews have all the much power over the company's decisions in the future but it's important for informing players and otherwise making some noise on the matter
Review Scores being slightly lower isn't going to be any effective honestly.

The game is still content rich. And I'm seeing people not really scoring much lower over this. People just gotta make some noise, but respectfully. Launching insults isn't the best way about it.

Hopfully it changes
I definitely agree. Smash was just a really irritating experience, I know a few articles came out in the aftermath but it's not quite the same as players and press being fully informed going in

Don't be a silly goose. Game sequels have higher expectations placed on them than their predecessors, the impetus is on them for improving with each iteration. The og mario maker was trying something new so it's sort of okay that its online wasn't up to snuff

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I really dont understand what happened. A week ago we were speculating if the game had local coop and had confidence on the online. Now everyone expects the online to be shit while local coop was quietly confirmed.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I'm sure it will get fixed
daenerys-1.jpg

Will it, though?

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright friend you got this. I'm sure limiting online play to randoms will go over well in 2019 because 3D World assets are in building mode. We'll all regale our friends of incredible creations that they too can experience on their own, in this game that clearly has online MP but doesn't allow invites or private lobbies because leaderboards.

🙌

For fucks sake. Why are people in this thread actual children? I'm not saying this is a good choice by Nintendo, I'm just saying that people acting like Nintendo took away something they'd longed for all their life and now all gamerzz are going to rise up in revenge need to get a fucking grip.

I want to actually talk about the issue at hand and not wade through pages of faux-emotion about a recently announced secondary online component of a video game.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Lol such a Nintendo move. Introduce a ton of amazing content and then the "one more thing" is boneheaded.

They're the ultimate monkey paw company.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
For fucks sake. Why are people in this thread actual children? I'm not saying this is a good choice by Nintendo, I'm just saying that people acting like Nintendo took away something they'd longed for all their life and now all gamerzz are going to rise up in revenge need to get a fucking grip.

I want to actually talk about the issue at hand and not wade through pages of faux-emotion about a recently announced secondary online component of a video game.

Then talk about it then? Maybe without insults and handwaving concerns.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly it's not clear what you are trying to do in this thread or what you want to discuss other than to tell people how they should feel. Beyond that, it's quite likely that many buyers/potential buyers were assuming/expecting/hoping for this feature long before the recent direct. Perhaps many were already unhappy that it wasn't in the first, and wanted it in the second. The whole "it was announced two weeks ago" angle doesn't really mean anything.

Additionally, the larger fanbase is long since fed up with Nintendo's online services, and issues there-in. The reaction is not just about this game or feature, it's about their online strategy, or lack thereof, as a whole.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then talk about it then? Maybe without insults and handwaving concerns.

Not really caring about disingenuous sob stories is not "handwaving concerns".

it's quite likely that many buyers/potential buyers were assuming/expecting/hoping for this feature long before the recent direct. Perhaps many were already unhappy that it wasn't in the first, and wanted it in the second. The whole "it was announced two weeks ago" angle doesn't really mean anything.

Any evidence of this? I remember plenty of Mario Maker 2 hype threads and this sort of online component was basically not discussed at all.

You're right about the actual issue being Nintendo's online service as a whole. That is what we should be discussing.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo.

just because people make fun of you for your online it doesn't mean you have to KEEP HAVING THE MONKEY PAW SYSTEM JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
This is an actual dealbreaker for me as I was only considering getting it to mess around with friends online (I don't have much personal interest in creating courses). How completely insane is it that Nintendo finally has online co-op for this but then you can't do it with friends because of *leaderboards*? Like, playing with randoms is going to somehow make the leaderboards more legitimate? Nintendo has really out-Nintendo'd themselves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.