• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This.
Constructive criticisms is fine but these constant outbursts and hate train shit posting is getting annoying.

Also it's hilarious how some posters here always likes to complain Nintendo but a while ago some of them had no problem defending Sony cross play policy.

Normally I'd agree with you but given how ass-backwards Nintendo's online approach continues to be after all these years, I can't really fault people for being pissed.

As others have pointed out, it's almost as if they are being purposely obstinate about online functionality.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.
Constructive criticisms is fine but these constant outbursts and hate train shit posting is getting annoying.

Also it's hilarious how some posters here always likes to complain Nintendo but a while ago some of them had no problem defending Sony cross play policy.
Sony got a lot of shit for it but even then cross play is so not the same as Nintendo not letting you play with your own friends in their own Nintendo Switch consoles.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Nintendo fucks up in previously inconceivable ways, for me at least. Prior to this topic, it never would have even occurred to me to question whether you could play with friends online because I live in the year 2019.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense to me and I predicted this would be the case, because that sort of thing can lead to unfair advantages.

The only solution is to have a separate and nonranked online mode where you can play in lobbies with only your friends or something. There is nothing that prevents them from doing so. Mixed lobbies with some people being premade and some randoms were never going to be a thing, nor lobbies tied to leaderboards with a full group of friends, and this for good reason.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This really isn't a word that I tend to throw out often or lightly, but this situation with this game right now is, quite literally, indefensible to me. Nintendo pulls a lot of stuff that raises people's ire, but even if only for the sake of devil's advocacy, I'm usually pretty good at being able to consider their rationale for things and come to understand the reasoning of where they're coming from for certain things, even if I don't agree with it myself.

That's...not the case here. Not with the reasoning they provided. The reasoning actually makes me more upset than the lack of friend-play itself. I'd have more easily been able to justify to myself the lack of simultaneous online multiplayer altogether because at least that way you could perhaps assume some sort of technical issue they weren't satisfied with, on top of it never being something offered in the series thus far. But...they have netplay up and running. We know it works. From a technological standpoint there's nothing stopping them from adding friend games.

So...leaderboards? That's what you're going to go with? That doesn't fly as a reason at all. Not when every other Nintendo-created game with online play and a ranking system has already solved that issue. Which means that the SMM2 team literally hasn't consulted with any of Nintendo's own other developers who've made netplay systems before. Could you imagine a game like Splatoon, or Mario Kart, or Smash, where it was literally impossible to play with friends online? The very notion of it at this point is asinine. Just don't apply friend game matches toward people's leaderboard or VS rankings, and either let people in friend lobbies select maps to play on, or have the room host pick from a general difficulty level or some other parameter for the game to then auto-select courses the same way the random matchmaking will. Ta-da, done. This isn't some problem that they'd have to go to great lengths to resolve. It doesn't require system OS-level features to implement. Just...literally make it the same way all their other online games are.

The rest of the game still has plenty of features and I'm sure will still be plenty of fun and all, but they rightfully deserve to be raked over the coals on this for a while. If not for Super Mario Maker 2 then for other projects, the message needs to get through to them how unhappy this decision is making their customers.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually nice of Nintendo to do this so those without friends don't feel left out.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not entirely convinced this is true (surely it's just too dumb?!), but in case it is, I'm writing in this thread just to keep in going, in the hopes that some Nintendo representative will see it and set things right.

Come on, Nintendo representative, I count on you!

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
So, I just logged into this site after a super busy day and saw my post quoted by RedDevil.

I just want to LMAO at this guy's response. What a sad, sad person.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't think you're calling me out here, but just in case I criticize Nintendo hard, but also gave Sony a lot of shit for the Classic and cross-play/cross-progression like I mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Surprised at the amount of people that care about this. I saw this as a a secondary feature I would probably never use, as I don't have any friends that would ever play Mario Maker levels any way.

Sometimes randoms only is a valid decision. I think it makes perfect sense in Dark Souls. I don't really understand the reasoning here though.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will this finally be the incident that makes Nintendo correct their ways and listen to us? Or will they weather this out, people will forget about it because they know it's futile, the game will still sell millions and everyone will forget about it until the next fuck up happens rinse and repeat?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I feel multiplayer was a really bad idea for Mario Maker. A large amount of levels will likely be broken in multiplayer since most people will design around single player. Nintendo made it so powerups respawn, but that's not gonna help in stages where a bullet bill blaster falls to block an entrance and only the player already past it can continue forward or you have to jump across enemies you can only jump on once.

I would have rather had multiple single player character with unique abilities.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you're calling me out here, but just in case I criticize Nintendo hard, but also gave Sony a lot of shit for the Classic and cross-play/cross-progression like I mentioned in a previous post in this thread.
It's also not the same goddamn thing. One lets you play with friends on PS4 but not competitor's consoles. The other doesn't even let you play with friends owning the same consoles of their own manufacturing.

Yes Sony deserved flack but what's Nintendo doing is several more levels of ass-backwardness.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its so tiring hearing the excuses in every nintendo thread of "why would anyone care this doesnt effect me at all so i dont see why its an issue", as if your singular experience is all that matters to millions of gamers and to the company making these games.

Also tiring to see games journalists covering this treat it with kids gloves by just saying something like "its unfortunate". Its no unfortunate, its unacceptable in 2019.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel multiplayer was a really bad idea for Mario Maker. A large amount of levels will likely be broken in multiplayer since most people will design around single player. Nintendo made it so powerups respawn, but that's not gonna help in stages where a bullet bill blaster falls to block an entrance and only the player already past it can continue forward or you have to jump across enemies you can only jump on once.

For local co-op it has the bubble system from the nsmb series to get past those issues.

Besides, stages can tagged as recommended for single or multiplayer, so finding stages for either configuration won't be difficult.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I did have this on the recommended games list for me and my boyfriend, but oh well. This game will still go on to sell millions and if they do include this feature in the future, Nintendo will be heralded as Gods so w/e.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Will this finally be the incident that makes Nintendo correct their ways and listen to us? Or will they weather this out, people will forget about it because they know it's futile, the game will still sell millions and everyone will forget about it until the next fuck up happens rinse and repeat?
Look at Activision's actions in the recent years and you'll get the answer you're looking for.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
This.

BUT WHAT ABOUT SONY.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm oblivious because I don't really play online games but how do you even play with friends at all on Switch?
Friend codes? How does that work out in practice?

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm not even sure what you're implying but as much as I want to shit on Nintendo right now they're not Activision. Not even close.
I'm saying that Activision does a lot of terrible shit and call of duty still sells millions because gamers and casuals dont really give a shit about anything and will give gaming companies a pass.

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This.

Two wrong dont make one right

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Weird stance on multiplater (local/online) by Nintendo but whatever, don't matter to much to me. I've allways visualised myself playing this a) alone or b) with a friend where we try different stages one at a time, sharing one controller to see whos the best and can finish the stage first -> How we played good ol' SMB back in the days.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of Splatoon (and perhaps Mario Kart) I decided long ago to never buy Nintendo games for their online play. I just sorta act like Nintendo's already taken the servers down. I'm still looking forward to playing multiplayer Mario Maker 2, but local play only, just like with Smash Bros Ultimate.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm oblivious because I don't really play online games but how do you even play with friends at all on Switch?
I ask my brother/friend on Facebook: "Hey, wanna play Mario Kart/Duck Game/Smash?"
He says "Alright, in 5 minutes!"
I say "Alright, I've started a game"

In-game, he finds a list of his friends (you can connect Facebook to your Switch account for immediate befriending, or use friend codes) who are currently playing/hosting, and he joins my game. Often we do a voice call on facebook as well, to make it more like playing in the same room.

We were looking forward to Mario Maker 2 a lot, and we'll still play each others' levels to death, but obviously it's more fun with more immediate interaction.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super weird choice. What is the reasoning behind letting strangers in but not friends? Is this just Nintendo being Nintendo or is there something else?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I ask my brother/friend on Facebook: "Hey, wanna play Mario Kart/Duck Game/Smash?"
He says "Alright, in 5 minutes!"
I say "Alright, I've started a game"

In-game, he finds a list of his friends (you can connect Facebook to your Switch account for immediate befriending, or use friend codes) who are currently playing/hosting, and he joins my game. Often we do a voice call on facebook as well, to make it more like playing in the same room.

We were looking forward to Mario Maker 2 a lot, and we'll still play each others' levels to death, but obviously it's more fun with more immediate interaction.
........Switch still uses friend codes? What? This can't be true

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a system level friends list, users add each other with friend codes. From there it depends on the game, but when friends are involved, it just pulls from your friends list and it acts like you'd expect, usually.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is Nintendo is doing the nearby online play where 4 people on 4 different Switches can make a room and play online Mario Maker 2 levels while disregarding leaderboards.... L O L

It's pure BS they made up.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Nothing special. You add friends either that you know or played with, or whatever and you create rooms/invite/join them in games.
...just not in Mario Maker 2 erh...

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is stupid as hell, and the reasons to justify this...

Who the hell at Nintendo makes these dumb decisions?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
........Switch still uses friend codes? What? This can't be true
.........It really isn't any different from having a phone number, and you rarely/never need to actually type numbers anyway. Like I said, adding friends through facebook/twitter/others is done with the click of a button. And once you've played online with a stranger, they're saved to a list, and you can send a friend request that way as well.

(What you can actually do with your friends is a different matter though, since you can't communicate with them unless you use another platform/service.)

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this was one of Twitter's top stories the other day, so hopefully Nintendo are feeling the heat.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read somewhere that they avoid this forum & the old one, they do go on Reddit a lot though.

I do not know if that's true though.

Treehouse used to make obvious references to Nintendo Direct hype train threads so yes they did read some years ago but nowadays I see no point in doing so because gaming has strayed far away from the oldschool tastes of people on this forum. For one this community is said to vastly prefer Japanese game design over western which given the former's obscurity and the utter dominance of the latter should tell you how this forum's taste is the least representative of gaming in general. Even Zelda follows the Ubisoft open world template now for crying out loud.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird they are designing this sort of thing around pleasing the very small handful of leaderboard chasers that think it might matter. And really, any leaderboard competition is going to be in single player anyway, nobody is going to take it that seriously when you have such RNG thrust upon you with your teammates.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is this Bizarro-world Nintendo? They've now gone all the way from friends-only mp to randoms-only , wtf
We all wish we knew the real reasons behind this absurd decisions, who the hell thinks this is a good idea?

Also, dont expect a patch fixing this shit, post launch support/patch/fixes from Nintendo ? Lmao
Once they got your money they dont care.

Are you're just here to stir up shit or have absolutely no clue about Nintendo games or probably both?

Nintendo updates the heck out of their games nowadays. They do enough baffling shit themselves without having to resort to making stuff up, mate.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Surprised at the amount of people that care about this. I saw this as a a secondary feature I would probably never use, as I don't have any friends that would ever play Mario Maker levels any way.

Sometimes randoms only is a valid decision. I think it makes perfect sense in Dark Souls. I don't really understand the reasoning here though.
People won't care that much when they buy the game, and wouldn't have anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.