Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13330

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2023
What I really don't understand is this alleged concept of "I'll vote for you...but only the first time and then I'm going opposed!!" Like...what the hell is the logic here? If you don't mind him winning then why abandon the idea so soon, knowing that literally any GOP candidate is unlikely to win on a first ballot right now.

Then again I guess I shouldn't need to ask when failing to govern is entirely the goal of the party, so intentioned dysfunction ought to be part for the course.
For some if it can get done on one ballot they will bite the bullet, but if voting has to go over and over again they might as well try to push someone else they prefer.

Also voting for Jorden once to get the government working again is a bit easier to defend on the campaign trails than voting over and over again for such an awful, losing candidate.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All those early theatric "hard no" / "never Jim" media darlings, like Mike Rogers and Ann Wagner, that caved over the weekend look dumb and spineless when the 1st round ended up with 20 defections.
Are we gonna have another Republican prayer group with Ann Wagner crying in the center?

Jan 15, 2019

View: https://twitter.com/maxpcohen/status/1714344571264536707

View: https://twitter.com/maxpcohen/status/1714342828053049714

View: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1714346635101082006

All those early theatric "hard no" / "never Jim" media darlings, like Mike Rogers and Ann Wagner, that caved over the weekend look dumb and spineless when the 1st round ended up with 20 defections.

Especially hilarious considering Rogers and Wagner were some of the last to cast votes. There were like a dozen+ anti-Jordan votes by the time it got to them.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I don't understand how some R's in swing districts don't vote for Jeffries. It's an easy slam dunk of "I can teach across the aisle to get things done"

I mean, I actually can't understand, they're useless and only vote for their own interests. But still, I can ponder.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
HS5xyFS.png

nyt pitchbot: how the 12th round of the McCarthy vote shows the dems flailing out of control

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how some R's in swing districts don't vote for Jeffries. It's an easy slam dunk of "I can teach across the aisle to get things done"

I mean, I actually can't understand, they're useless and only vote for their own interests. But still, I can ponder.
They'll lose their primaries.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
What this underscores is that the GOP is now in full on Great Schism mode. McCarthy, Scalise, Jordan and their varying factions.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Gotta survive the primary too, can't do that if you voted for a dem.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017

They don't want their overall Party to turn against them. Could affect funding.

Feb 14, 2018
What I really don't understand is this alleged concept of "I'll vote for you...but only the first time and then I'm going opposed!!" Like...what the hell is the logic here? If you don't mind him winning then why abandon the idea so soon, knowing that literally any GOP candidate is unlikely to win on a first ballot right now.

Then again I guess I shouldn't need to ask when failing to govern is entirely the goal of the party, so intentioned dysfunction ought to be par for the course.
I could rationalize that as being worried about going against Jordan being used against them in a primary. By voting for him on the first ballot they have cover to say they supported him until it became clear he wasn't able to get the votes.

Oct 27, 2017
Will this just be an exact repeat of what happened when McCarthy got voted in? Where the Republicans eventually just said fuck it after a bunch of rounds of voting?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The beatings will continue until Jimmy becomes the Speaker.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Will this just be an exact repeat of what happened when McCarthy got voted in? Where the Republicans eventually just said fuck it after a bunch of rounds of voting?
That's what I assume, but the card McCarthy played to finally get elected was agreeing to the very thing that ultimately got him ousted. Not sure what sort of concession Jordon would make to finally get enough votes, unless just wearing them down is enough.

Oct 27, 2017

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Just need five present votes and three Rs to flip yes to Hakeem.

I'm pretty sure Jordan will get it, honestly.
he might

there was a pretty different mood around it at the time. people thought it was all games and we could all eventually get there after we had our "fun"

now no votes have a lot more weight

or maybe they dont, im no pundit

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I assume, but the card McCarthy played to finally get elected was agreeing to the very thing that ultimately got him ousted. Not sure what sort of concession Jordon would make to finally get enough votes, unless just wearing them down is enough.
Yep. Jordan and McCarthy had different holdouts. Situation is not comparable.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, moderate Republicans or even Republicans in blue-ish districts, are more at risk from being primaried from their right wing, than they are being beaten by a Democrat from the center or left.

Fundraising is a major risk here too. Any Republican who votes for Jeffries, even in a toss up district, would have to fundraise for both a primary campaign and general election campaign, and then fundraising limits from non-PAC donations are limited to the calendar year, not the race. So, for instance, if you have an expensive primary race and need to go to the well from your regular donors, they all give you the federal max, AND THEN you need to fundraise again for your general election race against the Democrat, a lot of those bread and butter donors might be tapped out.

There's also just not many donors in a district who would say, "wow, I love that the Republican voted for a Democratic speaker, here's $3,300," as opposed to people in that same district who would say, "WHAT?! My Republican rep voted for a Democratic speaker?! I'm going to give $3,300 to ANYBODY who would primary them."

And for any Republican who votes for Jeffries in a sign of bipartisanship, would get $0 from PACs.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I dont think JJ will ever get enough votes.

This probably ends one of two ways:
McCarthy being elected again with D help and some small concessions like allowing floor votes on a few Bill's Ds want

A compromise moderate R with the same concessions as above

A random moderate R congressman with just R votes after enough days of this going on, just to get SOMEONE in the chair. This would need to he some "irrelevant" no name congressman

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

McCarthy being elected again with D help and some small concessions like allowing floor votes on a few Bill's Ds want

A random moderate R congressman with just R votes after enough days of this going on, just to get SOMEONE in the chair. This would need to he some "irrelevant" no name congressman

or we could just not have a speaker, government shuts down, republicans absolve themselves of any responsibility and just blame the dems the whole way through into the next election

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Seeing how McCarthy continues with his stupidity in blaming Dems for everything, I don't see them helping that fool regain the gavel.

Jan 15, 2019
or we could just not have a speaker, government shuts down, republicans absolve themselves of any responsibility and just blame the dems the whole way through into the next election

I mean, they could try that, but it's pretty cut and dry even to people who are usually susceptible to that type of shit that we are where we are because R's can't agree among themselves on how to govern and who to make speaker.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Well I would consider that with this not "ending" lol. But I dont see this happening. It would be electorally devastating. They can blame dems all they want, and maybe thay would work for the base, but moderates wont buy that shit.

Seeing how McCarthy continues with his stupidity in blaming Dems for everything, I don't see them helping that fool regain the gavel.
Eh, people overlook past statements all the time in politics. If he made some concessions to them in written form (like clean vote on ukraine, and a couple other items) they would he stupid not to take him up on it

Status
Not open for further replies.