• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? You're fixated on some retweet that you, and apparently one other person, care about. Reposting it doesn't advance your argument.
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. I'm not "fixated" on it, it's the primary cause of why this blew up, and the OP decided to purposefully omit it from their OP to frame tihs issue out of context.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
All I can think of now is the recent Palestinian Peace March that ended in violence and met with silence by Pelosi.
Pelosi can be an ally in some matters without being an ally in all matters. And yes, her silence there spoke volumes... just as addressing Omar's sloppy tweeting protocol in public versus doing so in private to compel her shrewdly-written apology also speaks volumes.

That doesn't equate to "both parties are the same" nor should it discourage you from voting or deter you from speaking up on the ever-problematic issue of money's influence in politics.

It means that there are Democrats who aren't allies on this issue. There are Democrats who will continue to take AIPAC money and be supportive of AIPAC and supportive of Israel's oppression of the Palestinian people.

And the solution to these challenges is to be steadfast, resilient, vote every Republican out of office while compelling Democrats in safe, blue strongholds to BE better (via the primary process as needed) until there are more genuine allies of Omar in the party than there are right now. At which point, hopefully the United States as a whole can BE better.

Oct 26, 2017
you're making a lot of claims here..

have you ever suffered from regular anti-semitism?

Yes.

When analysing language, context is king. "It's all about the Benjamins" is not an antisemitic statement or phrase, it was even the title of a song ffs. But context is important, depending who the actor is, what their ideology is, a money antisemitic trope is absolutely possible, but it doesn't mean that any statement about money, particularly in the context of lobbying (money is literally their thing) is antisemitic. Claiming it is, i.e. looking for it, is actually classic antisemitism.

I've noticed Ben Shapiro has had a field day with this, that should tell you all you need to know.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. That should send a clear message to any new comer who thinks they can speak their mind when it comes to Israel. Both parties coming together to clamp down hard on that shit.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

When analysing language, context is king. "It's all about the Benjamins" is not an antisemitic statement or phrase, it was even the title of a song ffs. But context is important, depending who the actor is, what their ideology is, a money antisemitic trope is absolutely possible, but it doesn't mean that any statement about money, particularly in the context of lobbying (money is literally their thing) is antisemitic. Claiming it is, i.e. looking for it, is actually classic antisemitism.

I've noticed Ben Shapiro has had a field day with this, that should tell you all you need to know.

The problem isn't the statement about lobbying money in American politics.

The problem is the specific language used in evokes the real anti-semitism of globalist conspiracies. I'm glad she's apologized and clarified her statement.

Oct 26, 2017

The problem is the specific language used in evokes the real anti-semitism of globalist conspiracies. I'm glad she's apologized and clarified her statement.

That's being careless at best. But if you don't cognitively harbour those tropes then a statement about Israeli lobbying and money might not even register as harmful. Her statement is good but frankly unnecessary. Israel has done a fine job at internationally conflating critique of their apartheid with antisemitism. They've literally hijacked oppression to keep oppressing. Lovely.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Welp. That should send a clear message to any new comer who thinks they can speak their mind when it comes to Israel. Both parties coming together to clamp down hard on that shit.

Hey look, it's political commentator, former governor, candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination, and former DNC Chair Howard Dean doing that thing that apparently no Democrat does. And he's doing it while throwing shade at another Democrat!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I've noticed

Ben Shapiro has had a field day with this, that should tell you all you need to know.

I don't understand why people keep bringing up right wing nut jobs to stifle criticism from the left in regards to this. kind of dumb tbh, they'll use anything to have a field day so it stands to reason that when something actually worthy of criticism happens they'll, you guessed it, have a field day. if she was only receiving criticism from the right she wouldn't have issued an apology. the right is irrelevant to this, leave them in the trash please.

also I see you're still on the "calling out anti-semitic tropes is the real anti-semitism" shit. hell, you even went further and are accusing Jewish people of "looking" for anti-semitism, like we've gotta go looking for it. jesus christ your posts are gross.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people keep bringing up right wing nut jobs to stifle criticism from the left in regards to this. kind of dumb tbh, they'll use anything to have a field day so it stands to reason that when something actually worthy of criticism happens they'll, you guessed it, have a field day. if she was only receiving criticism from the right she wouldn't have issued an apology. the right is irrelevant to this, leave them in the trash please.

also I see you're still on the "calling out anti-semitic tropes is the real anti-semitism" shit. hell, you even went further and are accusing Jewish people of "looking" for anti-semitism, like we've gotta go looking for it. jesus christ your posts are gross.

The left? Lol, you mean Democrats? Sure, lots are very pro-Israel.
And that's not really what I said is it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's being careless at best. But if you don't cognitively harbour those tropes then a statement about Israeli lobbying and money might not even register as harmful. Her statement is good but frankly unnecessary. Israel has done a fine job at internationally conflating critique of their apartheid with antisemitism. They've literally hijacked oppression to keep oppressing. Lovely.

Right, and at best I'm asking for Omar to stop being careless when criticizing Israeli policies and lobbying. If our most outspoken congressperson can't speak about Israeli influence in US politics without invoking anti-semitism then what the fuck can we expect?

Our disgusting apartheid supporting symbiotic relationship with Netanyahu's government NEEDS to be criticized, so lets not be careless about it yes?

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Schumer today calling out antisemitism

Schumer yesterday promoting xenophobia

DEMOCRATIC senate minority leader...

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017

it only evokes it because you want to evoke it. The comment is directed towards Kevin McCarthy who is not a Jew and I wouldn't think its controversial to say that many of our politicians are paid off by lobbyists

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Everybody should watch this documentary. And there's nothing anti-semitic about denouncing how the israeli lobby operates. It's quite shocking.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it only evokes it because you want to evoke it. The comment is directed towards Kevin McCarthy who is not a Jew and I wouldn't think its controversial to say that many of our politicians are paid off by lobbyists

No, it evokes it because it's a common racist dog-whistle to say that jewish money controls politics. Omar should have been specific in her criticism rather than lean on something like that.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hey look, it's political commentator, former governor, candidate for the 2004 Democratic nomination, and former DNC Chair Howard Dean doing that thing that apparently no Democrat does. And he's doing it while throwing shade at another Democrat!

Yes, the very relevant Howard Dean. What office does he hold again?

Post a pic of Jimmy Carter's book next.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The left? Lol, you mean Democrats? Sure, lots are very pro-Israel.
And that's not really what I said is it.

why do you think we're here if not for criticism from the left?

and yeah, that's pretty much what you've been saying throughout every single one of your posts in this thread. you post like an authority figure on what is and isn't anti-semitic, you've claimed multiple times that calling out anti-semitic tropes is what's actually anti-semitic in this instance, and you even went further as to suggest that Jewish people were looking for something to claim as anti-semitic.

I can quote your posts and put them into those categories if you'd like

Oct 26, 2017
Right, and at best I'm asking for Omar to stop being careless when criticizing Israeli policies and lobbying. If our most outspoken congressperson can't speak about Israeli influence in US politics without invoking anti-semitism then what the fuck can we expect?

Our disgusting apartheid supporting symbiotic relationship with Netanyahu's government NEEDS to be criticized, so lets not be careless about it yes?

Well that's becoming the only option really isn't it? When literally every criticism of Israel is wrung through so spectacularly.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Omar said nothing about Jewish money

Correct, in response to a Glenn Greenwald saying:

"Equating [Omar and Tlaib's] criticism of Israel to Steve King's long defense of white supremacy is obscene (McCarthy said it's worse). In the US, we're allowed to criticize our own government: certainly foreign governments. The GOP House Leader's priorities are warped."

She said:

"It's all about the benjamins baby"

Leaving the reader to wonder why she would say it's all about money in the context of denouncements of her criticism of Israel. The problem with the tweet is that it's so vague and leaves much up to the interpretation of the reader. Many have read it as directly anti-semitic, while still others (like me) read it as careless.

Also, for me personally, I hate seeing a member of congress retweeting a hack like Greenwald, but hey that's just me.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I went to bed this morning shortly after I heard about this "controversy".

I woke up and saw things play out exactly as I expected from every single party involved in it.

American Politics are a joke, so are Democrats as a whole, and even more so are American "liberals". Hopefully Omar will escape this without any lasting damage, but what a stupid fucking shitshow. There wasn't even 1% of the same outrage when the racist in chief invoked the trail of tears this weekend.

Oh wait, I forgot, he's too stupid to know what he was doing. /pass

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Equating [Omar and Tlaib's] criticism of Israel to Steve King's long defense of white supremacy is obscene (McCarthy said it's worse). In the US, we're allowed to criticize our own government: certainly foreign governments. The GOP House Leader's priorities are warped."

She said:

Leaving the reader to wonder why she would say it's all about money in the context of denouncements of her criticism of Israel.

It's on you to explain why the Israeli lobby represents Jewish people.

Oct 25, 2017
wheres this level of bad faith digging and 4d chess when it comes to invading venezuela. can we make american imperialist power anti semetic? I mean, more anti semetic?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's on you to explain why the Israeli lobby represents Jewish people.

She didn't mention the isreali lobby until she was asked to clarify, long after her initial tweet had come under fire.

I understand perfectly well what a dog whistle is. Do you understand what the difference between Israelis and Jews is?

The point isn't that her tweet IS a dog-whistle, only that it evokes the common language of dog-whistle racism. Leaving the reader wondering what she's implying.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Related to the "I don't see the problem!" stuff- this is from last year but is calling out the issues. (and yes, this is referencing a much more clear-cut case than the current situation.)

Conspiracy theories about the Rothschilds are a symptom. The problem is deeper. (WaPo Op-Ed)
Last week, D.C. Council member Trayon White Sr. blamed the Jews for bad weather.

"It just started snowing out of nowhere this morning, man. Y'all better pay attention to this climate control, man, this climate manipulation," he said in a video posted to his Facebook page. "That's a model based off the Rothschilds controlling the climate to create natural disasters they can pay for to own the cities, man. Be careful." The Rothschilds, of course, are a Jewish banking dynasty whom hateful conspiracy theorists have impugned for everything from the Kennedy assassination to the Islamic State.

The punchlines write themselves: If Jews really controlled the climate, Tel Aviv wouldn't be so humid, New York would feel like Los Angeles, and anyway, George Soros and Sheldon Adelson would never be able to agree on how to set the thermostat. "The good news," wrote Bard College's Walter Russell Mead, is that "paying off the Rothschild family to stop climate change has got to be easier than shifting the whole global energy system."

But although this story may be funny on the surface, it masks something deeply unsettling beneath.

When initially contacted by The Washington Post about his video, White "expressed surprise that his remarks might be construed as anti-Semitic" and insisted "the video says what it says." White has apparently also raised the shadowy specter of the nefarious Rothschilds (who "control the World Bank, as we all know") at public events. And even when he ultimately apologized, White still claimed that he had no idea that he was posting anti-Semitic material.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017

She said:

Leaving the reader to wonder why she would say it's all about money in the context of denouncements of her criticism of Israel. The problem with the tweet is that it's so vague and leaves much up to the interpretation of the reader. Many have read it as directly anti-semitic, while still others (like me) read it as careless.

Also, for me personally, I hate seeing a member of congress retweeting a hack like Greenwald, but hey that's just me.

The question is why is a racist anti-semite (who used actual real dogwhistles about Soros) so concerned about Israel and the answer is money and influence. You can keep pretending it means anything else but its so clearly disingenuous

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The question is why is a racist anti-semite (who used actual real dogwhistles about Soros) so concerned about Israel and the answer is money and influence. You can keep pretending it means anything else but its so clearly disingenuous

I have never claimed it means anything else.

What I have claimed is that it could easily be interpreted as meaning something else. Please keep up.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
The point isn't that her tweet IS a dog-whistle, only that it evokes the common language of dog-whistle racism. Leaving the reader wondering what she's implying.
She literally called out AIPAC by name. The only way to get more specific is to start naming names on recipients, which wouldn't go well for Democrats. Perhaps the criticism of Omar was a tad disingenuous?

That's not even close to what you originally wrote.
What are you even talking about?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She literally called out AIPAC by name. The only way to get more specific is to start naming names on recipients, which wouldn't go well for Democrats.

Again, she called out AIPAC by name long after the initial tweet had gotten criticism.

As you can see in her apology, she again mentions AIPACs undue influence in politics, but directly in the context of lobbying groups. This specific and direct callout has not garnered the cries of anti-semitism that her flippant and vague initial tweet did.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't mention the isreali lobby until she was asked to clarify, long after her initial tweet had come under fire.

Claiming that politicians are denouncing her because of moneyed interests is not a dog whistle just because it's about Israel.

In fact, it's an accurate observation not denied by anyone except when people call it out. Alluding that Israel and its surrogates are buying influence is not a damn dog whistle, because it's true. "Well maybe it could be about the Jews!" is dishonest

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
If you say or do something problematic, and a Jewish person who usually aligns with you, regularly confers with you, comes to you and says "Hey sis, you're better than this. What you just said/did could be seen as offensive to some people and here's why..." Yeah, maybe you owe it to consider your actions, instead of dismissing everything as a right-wing or establishment plot.

This. At some point in the past I used the word "thug" to describe someone who committed a violent act and who was also a POC. I was roundly (and rightly) attacked for using a term that held a historical and derogatory meaning. I had to process that what I said was wrong even though it wasn't intended that way. Now, not only will I never use that term, I go out of my way to educate others about the impact of using it. Words matter and if the group that is affected by those words says its a problem, maybe you should actually listen to them.

Oct 26, 2017
why do you think we're here if not for criticism from the left?

and yeah, that's pretty much what you've been saying throughout every single one of your posts in this thread. you post like an authority figure on what is and isn't anti-semitic, you've claimed multiple times that calling out anti-semitic tropes is what's actually anti-semitic in this instance, and you even went further as to suggest that Jewish people were looking for something to claim as anti-semitic.

I can quote your posts and put them into those categories if you'd like

The only thing I can claim to be an authority on is language, perception, processing and meaning. I didn't say that it was only Jewish people looking for it - anyone could. If a person harbours an antisemitic trope (either through their own ideology or through receiving abuse), then upon reading one there will be an emotional response. In this case lobbying money = Jewish conspiracy. It's not like this is an utterance that is using something undeniably antisemitic i.e. a slur, in that case it would be completely indefensible. But a generic phrase? If that's in a context that isn't meant to be antisemitic then if you are reading antisemitism that is a response from your own embodied antisemitic trope.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really should click through to the video on this one, there's an aspect to this the tweet/framing isn't catching as he calls out the GOP crap on this specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.