• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Again, she called out AIPAC by name long after the initial tweet had gotten criticism.

As you can see in her apology, she again mentions AIPACs undue influence in politics, but directly in the context of lobbying groups. This specific and direct callout has not garnered the cries of anti-semitism that her flippant and vague initial tweet did.
If anything, assuming the black Muslim woman must be expressing hatred against Jewish people is 5x more problematic than presuming she is saying something obvious like "a lobbying group lobbies people."

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Claiming that politicians are denouncing her because of moneyed interests is not a dog whistle just because it's about Israel.

In fact, it's an accurate observation not denied by anyone except when people call it out. Alluding that Israel and its surrogates are buying influence is not a damn dog whistle, because it's true. "Well maybe it could be about the Jews!" is dishonest

Which is why Omar should be more considerate and deliberate in her tweets regarding the issue, so that she doesn't accidentally use something that could be interpreted poorly.

If anything, assuming the black Muslim woman must be expressing hatred against Jewish people is 5x more problematic than presuming she is saying something obvious like "a lobbying group lobbies people."

People wouldn't assume she's was being anti-semitic if she didn't evoke anti-semitic tropes :shrugsville:

Her apology shows she's learned from this so hopefully we won't be having a thread like this in the future.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can claim to be an authority on is language, perception, processing and meaning. I didn't say that it was only Jewish people looking for it - anyone could. If a person harbours an antisemitic trope (either through their own ideology or through receiving abuse), then upon reading one there will be an emotional response. In this case lobbying money = Jewish conspiracy. It's not like this is an utterance that is using something undeniably antisemitic i.e. a slur, in that case it would be completely indefensible. But a generic phrase? If that's in a context that isn't meant to be antisemitic then if you are reading antisemitism that is a response from your own embodied antisemitic trope.

you know, plenty of generic phrases have bigoted meanings behind them

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Which is why Omar should be more considerate and deliberate in her tweets regarding the issue, so that she doesn't accidentally use something that could be interpreted poorly.

People wouldn't assume she's was being anti-semitic if she didn't evoke anti-semitic tropes :shrugsville:
She didn't "evoke" shit. AIPAC is not an ethnicity. Maybe you need to think a little more about how Islamophobia, racism, and sexism has played into people's reactions towards her.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And what's being missed here is that if anti semetic tropes were in fact being employed here...there's nothing to say on why so much tone policing and scrutiny is being applied to this black Muslim woman?

Oct 27, 2017
Correct, in response to a Glenn Greenwald saying:

"Equating [Omar and Tlaib's] criticism of Israel to Steve King's long defense of white supremacy is obscene (McCarthy said it's worse). In the US, we're allowed to criticize our own government: certainly foreign governments. The GOP House Leader's priorities are warped."

She said:

"It's all about the benjamins baby"

Leaving the reader to wonder why she would say it's all about money in the context of denouncements of her criticism of Israel. The problem with the tweet is that it's so vague and leaves much up to the interpretation of the reader. Many have read it as directly anti-semitic, while still others (like me) read it as careless.

Also, for me personally, I hate seeing a member of congress retweeting a hack like Greenwald, but hey that's just me.
I read it as too many politicians in the pockets of the lobby.

But, people will see what they want when they have the chance to deflect criticism away from Israel

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
and the context is why we're here in a 15 page thread

And the context is why she's not being forced to step down for being anti-semitic (because she wasn't being anti-semitic, before some of y'all try to deliberately misinterpret), and instead is just apologizing and promising to be more considerate next time.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
She didn't "evoke" shit. AIPAC is not an ethnicity. Maybe you need to think a little more about how Islamophobia, racism, and sexism has played into people's reactions towards her.

Wow, so Omar posts yet another dogwhistle tweet and it's Islamophobia to call it out? Did Pelosi force her to apologize because she is sexist too?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pelosi's response sucks and is expected. Schumer is 1000 times worse overall. There's my quota for Schumer bashing filled so next time I criticize Pelosi and people go "WHAT ABOUT SCHUMER, SEXIST MUCH?" I can point to this digital paper trail.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Well, she seems to disagree and has since apologized.
She didn't take back what she said about AIPAC and lobbying money, because that is correct, and it isn't "evoking a trope" to point it out.
Wow, so Omar posts yet another dogwhistle tweet and it's Islamophobia to call it out? Did Pelosi force her to apologize because she is sexist too?
Oh, do go on.
And what's being missed here is that if anti semetic tropes were in fact being employed here...there's nothing to say on why so much tone policing and scrutiny is being applied to this black Muslim woman?
Exactly; I really doubt that she is going to be able to do anything but walk on eggshells as a black Muslim woman in Congress in America, especially w/r/t Israel. She's taking it all like a champ, I gotta say.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I see that most sensible people climbed down from the windowsill this morning. Omar clarified, and still maintains that AIPAC ain't shit.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this just came across my feed which is good at contextualizing the problem.

this should be in the OP honestly

She didn't take back what she said about AIPAC and lobbying money, because that is correct, and it isn't "evoking a trope" to point it out.

it is, however, evoking a trope to evoke a trope and thankfully she apologized for that. she doesn't ever need to apologize for shitting on aipac or combating the power of lobbyists in politics

Oct 26, 2017
and the context is why we're here in a 15 page thread

Well yes, people not understanding it, I guess. Also you know, probably because it's a divisive topic about money in US politics, Israel (threads are always a doozy) and here we've got a Muslim American woman being dogpiled and accused of discriminatory ideology - which is frankly hilarious. The accusation, not the dogpiling.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well yes, people not understanding it, I guess. Also you know, probably because it's a divisive topic about money in US politics, Israel (threads are always a doozy) and here we've got a Muslim American woman being dogpiled and accused of discriminatory ideology - which is frankly hilarious.

Her accidental use of tangentially anti-semitic language needs to be separated from her existence as a black muslim woman. Clearly she's going to get undue criticism from racists, bigots, and sexists just for being who she is, but that does not mean all criticism directed at her is related or motivated by her sex, religion, or skin color.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Her accidental use of tangentially anti-semitic language needs to be separated from her existence as a black muslim woman. Clearly she's going to get undue criticism from racists, bigots, and sexists just for being who she is, but that does not mean all criticism directed at her is related or motivated by her sex, religion, or skin color.
You can't do that and take the position you are taking on AIPAC and her criticism.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
it is, however, evoking a trope to evoke a trope and thankfully she apologized for that. she doesn't ever need to apologize for shitting on aipac or combating the power of lobbyists in politics
She didn't; people took it that way, and my read on that is that people seem ready to presume the black Muslim woman is operating out of anti-Jewish hatred because of their own problematic biases.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Liberals fumbling all over themselves when faced with bad faith critiques will never not be the dumbest thing.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She didn't; people took it that way, and my read on that is that people seem ready to presume the black Muslim woman is operating out of anti-Jewish hatred because of their own problematic biases.

I mean, that's a take I suppose, but it seems to be the last bastion of the pro "it's all about the benjamins" crowd.

Intentionality doesn't matter. You are affording one side almost infinite room for identitarian interpretation while saying the other has to be divorced from it.

Intentionally often doesn't matter, I am affording one side the benefit of the doubt based on a vague tweet that could be interpreted poorly, while deflecting the notion that all the criticism based on said tweet is motivated by racism.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I could just flip what you said and say that that's not what's happening here and you're just taking it that way and we could go around in circles

but it doesn't really matter because she, unlike many in this thread, actually acknowledged what happened, apologized for what needed to be apologized for (unequivocally, I might add), and doubled down on what needed to be doubled down on

a lot of yall could learn a thing or three from her

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like when LeBron has his gaffe people knew there wasn't no malice there. But the language in context was much more dangerously evoked because it ties back to Judaism.

When people fuck up, they fuck up. But now I'm sitting here wondering how you can talk about Israeli influence (with no mention or context of Judaism) on American policy WITHOUT invoking the factor of money. Because doing that is invoking anti semetic tropes apparently.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I could just flip what you said and say that that's not what's happening here and you're just taking it that way and we could go around in circles

but it doesn't really matter because she, unlike many in this thread, actually acknowledged what happened, apologized for what needed to be apologized for (unequivocally, I might add), and doubled down on what needed to be doubled down on

I mean, it's no accident that she's an elected congresswoman. She's smart and I can't wait to see more of her in American politics.

Like when LeBron has his gaffe people knew there wasn't no malice there. But the language in context was much more dangerously evoked because it ties back to Judaism.

When people fuck up, they fuck up. But now I'm sitting here wondering how you can talk about Israeli influence (with no mention or context of Judaism) on American policy WITHOUT invoking the factor of money. Because doing that is invoking anti semetic tropes apparently.

I mean, she did it in her apology. You can say "AIPAC is a lobbying group that has undue influence over American politics, much like numerous other lobbying groups" without catching (too much) heat. Her initial tweet didn't say that though, even if you could read between the lines to find that implication.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like when LeBron has his gaffe people knew there wasn't no malice there.

exactly, that's why we were actually waiting for an apology. if there was suspected malice this whole thing would have been very different.

I mean, it's no accident that she's an elected congresswoman. She's smart and I can't wait to see more of her in American politics.

yeah the freshman dems actually have me optimistic about the future of politics in america and never in all my years on this planet did I ever think I'd say that

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can invoke the factor of money! You just need to be specific about the context of what you're talking about, like she was in her apology.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA

Hey, she's in Congress and I'm not, and there's a reason. But, if I were her, I would be looking at the white, pro-Israel Democratic leadership and thinking, "I see you."

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
And this just came across my feed which is good at contextualizing the problem.

Pretty much. The important part for the twitter impaired:

When trying to understand the upset today consider that the #TreeofLife shooter thought Trump was controlled by Israel, antisemitic hate crimes continue to rise, swastikas are showing up in NYC, and a synagogue in Lima, Ohio was shot up over the weekend /1

Jews are rightfully scared and we want to see that our elected officials care about these incidents and are on our side. Maybe you don't see the dogwhistles or what makes us nervous. But maybe you can listen to us and understand that we have reason to be scared

But many of the posters here clearly don't give a shit about context.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tsk tsk-ing ilhan omar isn't necessarily islamophobia, you're just playing into the hands of and doing all the hard work for the islamophobes and racists and zionists when you do it

when one's behavior is indistinguishable from those criticizing her in bad faith because they want to silence dissent on the subject of Israel's stranglehold over American policy, they should be reconsider whose ally they really are

Omar's "poor choice of words" are a drop in the ocean compared to democrats and republicans alike tacitly supporting Israel's apartheid and genocide. She did absolutely nothing wrong in the face of Israel committing war crimes 24/7.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, she's in Congress and I'm not, and there's a reason. But, if I were her, I would be looking at the white, pro-Israel Democratic leadership and thinking, "I see you."

well yeah, there's corrupt politicians as far as the eye can see. I was more talking in response to the people that she represents (either directly or just through being a voice in politics). when you say things like she did publicly it doesn't just affect other politicians it affects everyone who looks to you to be a voice for them within our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.