• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It's s dog whistle. We know it's being argued in bad faith as antisemstism but it still functions as a dog whistle and could have been framed in a way that wasn't.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious(depressing) that people are up in arms about this when republicans literally commit terrorist attacks against Jewish people.

The POTUS has literally said there are very fine neo-nazis.

Like, a large subset of the Republican Party is legit anti-Semitic.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh the hell with this "you need to do this the right way" thing. Haven't we gone over enough that "the right way" is just empty bullshit meant to placate nobody and help nobody because it's all empty rhetoric so that we can just brush people like Rep Omar aside and continue on with the Apartheid state?
It reminds me of what certain people would say when blacks people brought attention to systemic racial issues. It must be done in the right way, she must say the right words. There are no right words because anything she says will be anti-Semitic.

Accurately stating how lobbies work isn't anti-Semitic.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious(depressing) that people are up in arms about this when republicans literally commit terrorist attacks against Jewish people.

Or the fact that many of the Republicans attacking Omar over this are happy to spread actual anti-semitic conspiracy theories like Soros and the (((Globalist))) cabal.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

These people were never against bigotry against jewish people, they're explicitly pro Israeli neo-fascism. It's not hypocrisy because they don't support individual jews being targeted by right leaning anti-semites.

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Commentary
Fuck Israel and its supporters.

If you support Israel you support genocide, it's that simple.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's very messed up and insulting to wave the anti-Semitic card at anyone who criticizes anything at all related to Israel.

It's like people can't differentiate between state and religious groups.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that while it's important to note the use of money in lobbying. AIPAC is actually a bad example. Their lobbying expenditures were only about 3.5 million total last year. That's bottom tier as far as lobbying goes. The money only works because the politicians already agree with the message.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
She came out in support of Maduro or like Bernie Sanders came out in support of non intervention. Two different things
Sadly, she said that the sanctions the OBAMA and Trump administration imposed on the regime harms the Venezuelans. Wrong, they target Maduro and his cronies. It is disappointing that someone that is completely right about Israel is completely wrong about Venezuela and supporting that scumbag called Maduro.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Guys - can we all admit that at best her choice of using those specific rap lyrics was a mistake? I'm Jewish. I don't support AIPAC but do support Israel generally (e.g. its existence, etc even if I hate Bibi, settlements, and how right wing the country has grown). With that said, to use those lyrics when talking about Jews, regardless of the subject, does touch a nerve. She should have known.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guys - can we all admit that at best her choice of using those specific rap lyrics was a mistake? I'm Jewish. I don't support AIPAC but do support Israel generally (e.g. its existence, etc even if I hate Bibi, settlements, and how right wing the country has grown). With that said, to use those lyrics when talking about Jews, regardless of the subject, does touch a nerve. She should have known.
I agree. I think she's generally correct on the subject matter, but her language was very dogwhistle-y and anti-Semitic.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I'm gonna go positive for a moment but I just want to say it.
I give Era a lot of shit, but over the past couple of months or year, it is easily the best forum I've been in to talk about the Palestine issue.
I sometimes am agressive in trying to push you guys to support it further but honestly, every other forum I've been to get derailed "thousand year land ownership rights" and "Hamas!" By IDF apologists, but people here have their head straight and dont get distracted by the people who want this silenced, instead keep thier focus on the big picture.
Their is room for improvement but overall, you guys are great.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just become beyond frustrating trying to drive this point home.
Criticizing the Israeli government and the influences that drive our support for that government is not an attack on Jews. Much in the same way critiquing the governments of Arab nations is not an attack on Islam.

Picture everything you'd expect to hear regarding a young Muslim woman in Congress and you've got it. Absurd attacks on her character and religion, accusations of being an inevitable terrorist, etc.

Yeah, honestly the daily attacks on Ilhan and Rashida for their support of Palestinian rights is getting old. I don't understand how these pro-Israel groups don't understand that this type of bullshit actually undermines their efforts more than anything. It leads to the progressive base to actually look into the issue and a vast majority of them realize that the Israeli government is in fact imposing an apartheid state while dehumanizing all facets of Palestinian life through occupation.

But somehow these idiots will continue to try to correlate being pro-Palestinian rights with being Anti-Semitic. AIPAC has been known for its influence on American politicians for decades, that's why every major candidate has been blindly pro-Israel and the big names appear at their conferences.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I agree. I think she's generally correct on the subject matter, but her language was very dogwhistle-y and anti-Semitic.
It was not . She was not anti Semitic or dog whistling in her words when she clearly stated that it's about AIPAC money which is not a Jewish org but a pro right wing Israeli Lobby org

If she said "Jews control congress with their money" that would be antisemitic

She said it's about about the money (from AIPAC) which is not antisemitic language

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

The problem is that nobody is stopping at mistake and alot are trying to pull the often used antisemitism card.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I feel that while it's important to note the use of money in lobbying. AIPAC is actually a bad example. Their lobbying expenditures were only about 3.5 million total last year. That's bottom tier as far as lobbying goes. The money only works because the politicians already agree with the message.

AIPAC tells other pro-Israel PACs who to throw their support behind. Overall pro-Israel spending is $12-$15 million every election cycle.

Edit: and that's just PAC money.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

AIPAC may not be the name on the checks but they absolutely help give the marching orders which includes directing who the checks get written for. They are in the same boat.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I believe this is a stirred up controversy intended to sow dissent among the Democratic party. The greatest weakness of our party is that we try to hold ourselves accountable and our enemies use this to keep us divided.

Like, a large subset of the Republican Party is legit anti-Semitic.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

This is my feeling as well, it's a harmful stereotype and she's deserves criticism for it, regardless of her legitimate criticisms otherwise in regards to the Israeli right wing's handling of the Palestinians.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
AIPAC tells other pro-Israel PACs who to throw their support behind. Overall pro-Israel spending is $12-$15 million every election cycle.

Edit: and that's just PAC money.

That's still a drop in the bucket for PAC money when overall PAC expenditures reach into over $1b.

Money isn't why politicians support Israel.

Republicans support Israel due to geopolitical ambitions in the area and end of times prophecy.

Democrats support Israel out of lack of democratic options in the Middle East, religious identity, and diplomacy.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was not . She was not anti Semitic or dog whistling in her words when she clearly stated that it's about AIPAC money which is not a Jewish org but a pro right wing Israeli Lobby org

If she said "Jews control congress with their money" that would be antisemitic

She said it's about about the money (from AIPAC) which is not antisemitic language
A jokey tweet tangentially and accidentally invoking anti-semitic language is still tangentially and accidentally invoking that language. It was poor judgement on her part and if that language was used in a political attack ad or flyer by a right wing politician against a Soros backed opponent it would rightfully be called out as anti-Semitic.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was filling up a form a government organization last week and the first question asked (LITERALLY) starts with -

"Not Boycott Israel:
Under the provisions of Subtitle F, Title 10, Government Code Chapter 2270:"

America takes Israel's criticism more seriously than Israel itself does.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
A jokey tweet tangentially and accidentally invoking anti-semitic language is still tangentially and accidentally invoking that language. It was poor judgement on her part and if that language was used in a political attack ad or flyer by a right wing politician against a Soros backed opponent it would rightfully be called out as anti-Semitic.

"Tangentially", "poor judgment", "accidentally" "jokingly". The same excuses the right uses when they peddle their own racist bullshit. It was a clear antisemitic dogwhistle. She knew exactly what she was doing. There is a reason very liberal people are pissed about her language

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Tangentially", "poor judgment", "accidentally" "jokingly". The same excuses the right uses when they peddle their own racist bullshit. It was a clear antisemitic dogwhistle. She knew exactly what she was doing. There is a reason very liberal people are pissed about her language

this

we should hold our own to a higher standard

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I won't go so far as to say she knew what she was doing, but lord how are you going to reduce such a complicated issue down like that? ESPECIALLY in an era where rhetorical charity is rare and precious?

Also, Glenn Greenwald is a turd stop retweeting him lefties.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who went to a Zionist camp (or whatever it was, he said it was some Jewish indoctrination retreat event) when he was younger. He told me that the one thing they drill into you there is to make sure that any criticism of Israel be turned around to anti-semitism; that is the best way to shut down the conversation.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I won't go so far as to say she knew what she was doing, but lord how are you going to reduce such a complicated issue down like that? ESPECIALLY in an era where rhetorical charity is rare and precious?

Also, Glenn Greenwald is a turd stop retweeting him lefties.

The same way you do when the right spews racist garbage. You call it out. And I agree about Greenwald.

I have a friend who went to a Zionist camp (or whatever it was, he said it was some Jewish indoctrination retreat event) when he was younger. He told me that the one thing they drill into you there is to make sure that any criticism of Israel be turned around to anti-semitism; that is the best way to shut down the conversation.

Except that anti-semitism is real and leads to daily violence and murder. Most of which most people don't even know happens every day.

Like JUDEN! painted on a Paris bagel shop yesterday.

bagel-640x400.jpg

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
1. Omar is correct that AIPAC and it's donors hold undue influence in American politics
2. Trying to discuss an issue this sensitive with quippy Twitter jokes is going to be counterproductive, and lead to situations like this.
3. Intentionally or not, "It's all about the Benjamins" definitely leans into anti-Semitic tropes.
4. Republicans are being disingenuous in calling this out. They're happy to lean into the same tropes Against Soros or any other left-leaning Jews.
5. That doesn't mean Dems shouldn't hold their own to a higher standard.
6. Omar is also over simplifying things by saying it's all about money, and ignoring the real sickness in American evangelicalism that leads to rabid pro-Israel apologetics. Getting rid of AIPAC would not make this go away.

I think that's all my thoughts on this one.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should hold everyone to a higher standard.

true but I'm not going to ever pretend that republicans will likely ever meet that standard. if you claim to be my ally I expect more.

I am glad this happened though. culling the latent anti-semitism out of this issue is an important step for Palestinian justice overall.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
1. Omar is correct that AIPAC and it's donors hold undue influence in American politics
2. Trying to discuss an issue this sensitive with quippy Twitter jokes is going to be counterproductive, and lead to situations like this.
3. Intentionally or not, "It's all about the Benjamins" definitely leans into anti-Semitic tropes.
4. Republicans are being disingenuous in calling this out. They're happy to lean into the same tropes Against Soros or any other left-leaning Jews.
6. Omar is also over simplifying things by saying it's all about money, and ignoring the real sickness in American evangelicalism that leads to rabid pro-Israel apologetics. Getting rid of AIPAC would not make this go away.

I am glad this happened though. culling the latent anti-semitism out of this issue is an important step for Palestinian justice overall.

Agree and agree.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky

Yup, this is largely where I'm at.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans attacking her on this is just going to attract more attention to the issue and it will backfire immensely. A sizeable majority of younger progressives are against Israel's far-right government.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Agree with all the above only to add:

7. The language should be officially denounced and Omar should apologize and specify.

Omar and any other leftist who seeks higher public office should stop pretending that they can use the same jokes and memes that they used previous to gaining greater accountability.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018

You seem confused. The way she expressed herself was in poor judgement, the message is right on. Criticizing Israel and the israeli lobby isn't antisemitic, no matter who wants to throw a temper tantrum.

Plasmid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the idea that talking negatively about Israel / AIPAC is Anti-Semitic. Israel has a lot of really shady lobbying firms throwing dark money everywhere in the country, it should be called out.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You seem confused. The way she expressed herself was in poor judgement, the message is right on. Criticizing Israel and the israeli lobby isn't antisemitic, no matter who wants to throw a temper tantrum.

Using that specific type of language to criticize israel and the israeli lobby can be easily interpreted as anti-semitic. I'm shocked it's being so widely defended to be honest.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
I hope she doesn't apologize for anything, there wasn't anything to apologize for other than that bad retweet.

Oct 25, 2018

Yeah, pretty much.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Using that specific type of language to criticize israel and the israeli lobby can be easily interpreted as anti-semitic. I'm shocked it's being so widely defended to be honest.

Tough shit? I get the stigma behind the Jewish and money but does that mean we have to pretend that Israeli lobbies don't have or use any fucking money and the influence they exploit with that money doesn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.