• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like she learned her lesson not to criticize Israel or AIPAC again. Good job Dems!

Wow. Pelosi should be ashamed of that statement. But luckily others will also be critical of Israel's influence on American politics and money in general, so she won't be alone soon. I stand with you congresswoman Omar.

No she won't. She has been successfully made an example of.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, anti-Semitism exists. No, Ilhan Omar is not an anti-Semite. She is bravely taking on the entrenched, continued bipartisan support for Israel at the expense of Palestinians for three generations. It's not our job to pile on with the attacks that assume the worst of her, when this is the time where she needs the most support to hold strong.

Absolutely the hell not.

This is the time where Omar needs to be called out for being a dummy on Twitter for the umpteenth time, because damnit it's only February and here we are again. That's my stance.

I want to rally behind Omar in the same way I want to rally around everyone who, at the end of the day, represent the goals that I also strive for. But being kinfolk doesn't grant you a permanent pass for constantly doing questionable things. Rather, it is because we're kinfolk that I'll expect you to do better. Because Omar isn't actually helping the effort here. She's destracting from the effort by forcing everyone to have a conversation about whether or not her repeatedly sloppy Twitter usage means she's an anti-Semite.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This also has to do with money in politics...doing favors for foreign governments, weapons deals, convenient partnerships means to try and start a fake narrative against people who are rightly criticizing the system which is unfair. All of these establishment people coming out against Omar arent doing it because they are in good faith trying to call her out for hurtful behavior. They know she's not attacking anyone maliciously.

They are trying to attack her because of the influence of the overwhelming right wing israeli lobby and to keep that relationship buttered at all times. Hell maybe they have gotten so wrapped up in that collusive Washington bubble that they really believe in their own nonsense.

But the fact remains that the source of this is clear as day, and nobody should be under any illusions about that, including the Moderator above me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep posting that.

It's still a problem that it's an open fact that many politicians are in the pockets of the Israeli lobby and trying to criticize them for it is akin to avoiding to step on a mine, on a field that is covered with it.
Because people going "I don't see a problem" when left-wing Jewish people are saying "there's a problem" and Omar just apologized because "there was a problem and I need to do better", meaning, they seem to be very, very unaware of why there are certain things you need to be hyper-specific on when tackling this issue.
Looks like she learned her lesson not to criticize Israel or AIPAC again. Good job Dems!
Reading is fundamental.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Good on her. Seeing all these mainstream media folk spin this against her is not surprising. All nuance is thrown out the door. I don't get how people don't get that not liking Bibi or his policies makes you some anti-semetic. And I think this is something that the Dem party will soon learn.

Leadership is out of step with its base. Majorly.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
She NOT supportive of Maduro. She's never been supportive of Maduro. Those Venezuelan tweets were lacking, but they WERR NOT in support of Maduro.

That is the term for it, Lacking. Lacking perspective, Lacking knowledge of the crisis in Venezuela, lacking the ability to not give platforms to bad actors

Good response. Wish dem leadership waited and put out a more coordinated response to go along with this that wasn't so antagonistic toward rep Omar.

I like that response from her, Glad she tackled it head on.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
God forbid you criticise Israel or certain Jewish people or their actions.

God forbid.

Anti-semetic right away.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This whole story is a fucking joke. Reminds me of kneeling during the anthem being equated to not respecting the armed forces.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You keep posting that.

It's still a problem that it's an open fact that many politicians are in the pockets of the Israeli lobby and trying to criticize them for it is akin to avoiding to step on a mine, on a field that is covered with it.
I don't see why it's been difficult for many to understand that you can do this without trying to be fucking cute about it in a tweet. I'm still pro less twitter hottakes that's all the rage lately. It leads to sloppy shit like this.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good response. I understood what she was going for the first time, but she should understand that the casual language she uses can be used against her even if everyone knew what she meant.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't see why it's been difficult for many to understand that you can do this without trying to be fucking cute about it in a tweet. I'm still pro less twitter hottakes that's all the rage lately. It leads to sloppy shit like this.

DING DING DING

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
This whole story is a fucking joke. Reminds me of kneeling during the anthem being equated to not respecting the armed forces.
It is the same.
Same with Catholic school kids at the march yelling.
Same with the Black Lives Matter
This a warm up from the right and their propaganda machine to control the narrative.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The Democratic and Republican Parties aren't as different as the general public perceive them as being, much of their public disagreements are just for show and to keep people distracted from a lot of the stuff going on behind the scenes. This is why Bernie Sanders is an independent and not a Democrat.

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely the hell not.

This is the time where Omar needs to be called out for being a dummy on Twitter for the umpteenth time, because damnit it's only February and here we are again. That's my stance.

I want to rally behind Omar in the same way I want to rally around everyone who, at the end of the day, represent the goals that I also strive for. But being kinfolk doesn't grant you a permanent pass for constantly doing questionable things. Rather, it is because we're kinfolk that I'll expect you to do better. Because Omar isn't actually helping the effort here. She's destracting from the effort by forcing everyone to have a conversation about whether or not her repeatedly sloppy Twitter usage means she's an anti-Semite.

But the point is, it's only "sloppy" because she's not using the language restrictions set up by those in power to regulate the way the discussion can be had. Like saying "All Lives Matter" instead of "Black Lives Matter." Yes of course, but when you say All Lives Matter you're not actually saying All Lives Matter. You're trying to define the language to limit the ability to discuss the reality on the ground.

There is going to be a battle in decoupling criticism of Israel with accusations of anti-Semitism. Because if we have to avoid any and all historic anti-Semitic tropes that means you can't discuss the role of money, the media, Jewish identity, Zionism, or Palestinian suffering under occupation. All that's left to explain American support for right-wing Israeli policies ends up being "shared values" and fuck if they share my values...

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
It's a good response. I understood what she was going for the first time, but she should understand that the casual language she uses can be used against her even if everyone knew what she meant.

I understood what she was going for but she should understand that the casual language she uses will be used against by her own constituents should she ever dare criticize israel in any way shape or form. Safer just to avoid the topic. Literally more lucrative to support the ethnostate

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The Apartheid state of Israel has a huge backing even without paying folks to talk about it. I still dont understand how bribe money is legal in the USA. I mean, people and companies literally paid their representatives to fight for their cause, however bad or good it is.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I'd like to know, what CAN someone say to criticize Israel without being labeled anti-Semitic? I'd love to see an example of it.

Personally, I never want to travel to Israel because it's too hot there. Does that make me an anti-Semite?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Great statement. She's not wrong but knows to pick her fights.

Very disapponited in Pelosi and others right now.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'd like to know, what CAN someone say to criticize Israel without being labeled anti-Semitic? I'd love to see an example of it.

Personally, I never want to travel to Israel because it's too hot there. Does that make me an anti-Semite?

Look around, you're literally in a 12-page thread where dozens of people have done exactly that.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You might be able to get away with calling them "big old meanie doo-doo heads."

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
God, rereading Pelosi's response just makes my blood boil.

I'm actually near the same level of anger I was when Netanyahu's bitch ass came to Congress when Obama wasn't there and received a standing ovation while rebuking the President in his own goddamn country.

Fucking disgraceful and utterly pathetic. Wish I can say I was surprised by the Pelosi's response though.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
She said she was sorry for the use of anti-Semitic tropes.

She didnt use any antisemetic tropes and didnt say she did. She said she was grateful for people educating her on antisemitism, not that she said anything wrong.

"I'm sorry if i offended someone, but not sorry for what i said, i'm not going to back down from what i believe in" was basically what she said.

And that's 100% correct.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
one must stand in complete awe at people's abilities to control these narratives

Israel leaders are absolute geniuses at what they do, its impressive to watch

So was what she said even offensive or not?

she said a politician was controlled by a lobbyist/special interest, something said daily by every american for decades

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologizing for hurting people's feelings is not apologizing for your own actions, which is a good distinction to make when people really have a belief in their core values.

she literally said she unequivocally apologized

I don't even know what you're talking about right now, it's getting kind of fanfic-y

Status
Not open for further replies.