• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
one must stand in complete awe at people's abilities to control these narratives

Israel are absolute geniuses at what they do, its impressive to watch
It works every time fam. Every time.

Muddy up the discussion with accusations of anti-Semitism when one is criticizing Israel.
If a politician is slightly criticizing them they'll throw a fucking hissy fit whilst they kill Palestinians for fucking breakfast.
Conflating Jews with Israel, Zionists with Israel, BDS being anti-Semitic etc.
Every Bloody Time.
The hypocrisy is amazing.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
In the mildest terms possible. Doubt we hear from her on the topic again. Congratulations, Israel wins again.

I really, really doubt this. Anti-lobbyist in general, and anti-AIPAC in particular will remain core issues, as well as opposing the occupation. You just can't be that flip when discussing it, both because it's genuinely not right to when you're talking about something that serious, involving the ethnic identities of historically oppressed people on both sides, and more cynically, because you can't give the AIPAC crowd and ammo to deligitimize you, because if they can, they will. It's not hard to talk about how the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is evil, and AIPAC is a malign force in American politics without using anti-Semitic tropes and delegitimizing the views of those who are more pro-Israel than you are, it's just hard to do in the form of Twitter burns. You have to step back and respect the work people have been doing for decades to build a pro-Palestinian movement free from anti-Semitism, and not damage the reputation of that whole effort for the sake of a Tweet.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
one must stand in complete awe at people's abilities to control these narratives

Israel leaders are absolute geniuses at what they do, its impressive to watch

Im glad the apartheid government in this country weren't so strategically adept at white washing oppression or I might literally have been an uneducated pass holding laborer right now.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She didnt use any antisemetic tropes and didnt say she did. She said she was grateful for people educating her on antisemitism, not that she said anything wrong.

"I'm sorry if i offended someone, but not sorry for what i said, i'm not going to back down from what i believe in" was basically what she said.

And that's 100% correct.
IMG_20190210_213010.jpg

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its also hilarious to see this hand wringing after we had congress pass what basically amounts to the US government actively(and unconstitutionally) punishing citizens for hurting Israel's economy in any way. Its nothing but corruption in a fundamental perspective. And we still have people arguing against good faith criticism of israel

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Israel has the media and both political parties in it's pocket, so any type of criticism at all of Israel is immediately echoed through loudspeakers by all as anti-Semitic. Bernie Sanders is the only Presidential candidate in a televised debate that I can ever think of to say "Hey, what Israel is doing to the Palestinian people is wrong". You'll NEVER hear that from any other candidate except maybe Tulsi Gabbard who the media has already smeared for her anti-war stance regarding Syria.

Is it any wonder that no one in the Bush administration was ever questioned in front of Congress on lying about the Iraq War, or that no one on Wall Street was ever arrested for stealing billions of dollars? Both Parties aren't that much different when it comes things like that.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Sadly, she said that the sanctions the OBAMA and Trump administration imposed on the regime harms the Venezuelans. Wrong, they target Maduro and his cronies. It is disappointing that someone that is completely right about Israel is completely wrong about Venezuela and supporting that scumbag called Maduro.
Factually incorrect. The Trump"s administration sactions of august 24th, 2017 had a huge effect in terms of oil production in Venezuela and it blocked the venezuelan government"s access to the earnings made by CITGO, a state business localized in Texas. You cant make Oil production drop 50% and then go "well i guess that its their fall for falling apart"

Maduro is a dictator and he sucks, btw. But I know too much about South America to let the US get away with sanctioning a leftist government again and then acting like any crisis is the country"s fault.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The idea the the Benjamin's Tweet was antisemitic in any regard when she was clearly talking about a powerful lobbying group is utterly absurd.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are you purposely ignoring her tweet before and after and that she deleted the RT?
I've said the first tweet was iffy and probably wouldn't have drawn a response. It doesn't matter that she deleted the RT. She did it.
Yeah, that sure is a well meaning dude. Omar sure is calling you a lesser human being for criticizing AIPAC and the israeli lobby.

A lot of hot takes out there.
That tweet is in response to the first one, not the "AIPAC!" one. And she RTed it, which made it look like she was mocking him.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Israel leaders are absolute geniuses at what they do, its impressive to watch

When everybody takes their money it's hard to be principled.

I really, really doubt this. Anti-lobbyist in general, and anti-AIPAC in particular will remain core issues, as well as opposing the occupation. You just can't be that flip when discussing it, both because it's genuinely not right to when you're talking about something that serious, involving the ethnic identities of historically oppressed people on both sides, and more cynically, because you can't give the AIPAC crowd and ammo to deligitimize you, because if they can, they will. It's not hard to talk about how the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is evil, and AIPAC is a malign force in American politics without using anti-Semitic tropes and delegitimizing the views of those who are more pro-Israel than you are, it's just hard to do in the form of Twitter burns. You have to step back and respect the work people have been doing for decades to build a pro-Palestinian movement free from anti-Semitism, and not damage the reputation of that whole effort for the sake of a Tweet.

It's absolutely asinine to say that "money is a central aspect of a lobbying group and those they influence" is anti Semitic because this time the spinner lands on a pro Israel group. It's true, everybody knows it's true, and we're letting people conflate the interests of American Jews at large with a group that serves Israeli policy interests.

We give too much power to those who we know would not extend good faith in return.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Absolutely the hell not.

This is the time where Omar needs to be called out for being a dummy on Twitter for the umpteenth time, because damnit it's only February and here we are again. That's my stance.

I want to rally behind Omar in the same way I want to rally around everyone who, at the end of the day, represent the goals that I also strive for. But being kinfolk doesn't grant you a permanent pass for constantly doing questionable things. Rather, it is because we're kinfolk that I'll expect you to do better. Because Omar isn't actually helping the effort here. She's destracting from the effort by forcing everyone to have a conversation about whether or not her repeatedly sloppy Twitter usage means she's an anti-Semite.

the only distracting is being done by folks forcing her to apologize for not being anti-semitic when she is not. this wouldn't be an issue if it were a Rep. Cathy. Dems played right into Alt-Right hands by saying, yeah she said anti-semitic things when in fact she didnt

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
She didnt use any antisemetic tropes and didnt say she did. She said she was grateful for people educating her on antisemitism, not that she said anything wrong.

"I'm sorry if i offended someone, but not sorry for what i said, i'm not going to back down from what i believe in" was basically what she said.

And that's 100% correct.
Are you intentionally ignoring what her actual tweet said and was in response to? Do you understand why it's a problematic way to go about discussing this or not care because your focus is on the problem itself? I suspect majority of people are doing the latter.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Are you intentionally ignoring what her actual tweet said and was in response to? Do you understand why it's a problematic way to go about discussing this or not care because your focus is on the problem itself? I suspect majority of people are doing the latter.

Why dont you clarify it for me, since you seem to think i dont understand. I'm defending her and saying what she meant is clear to see.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This is where they interesect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_antisemitism

And the RT was the biggest issue. It was explicitly about anti-semitism.

Unless she was saying that nobody except Israeli groups or Jewish groups pay off politicians in Washington, I don't think the economic antisemitism argument holds much water. It's not like money in politics is a new or rare concept. It was a foolish thing for someone in office to fire off on Twitter, but then again, it's Twitter. In 2019. With Donald Trump using it every day.

My frame of reference here is another common epithet that "Jews control the media", which IS antisemitic because it's alleging that that Jewish people alone have compromised an influential system to their total benefit. That's obviously wrong and inspires hate. What Omar and other Democrats have been saying is that the political system is compromised by many different entities. Making this an antisemitism issue is just serving to muddy the waters.

As for the retweet, undoing the retweet suggests it was a mistake, and the tweet itself agreed with her position until it didn't. It's hard to tell what the intention was, but it's not like she was retweeting some (((globalism))) moron. More foolish mistakes on Twitter by someone who should know better, but sure, I can concede that there's not enough information to give it the full benefit of the doubt.

And she RTed it, which made it look like she was mocking him.

See I just don't read that part like this, at all.

Nov 9, 2017
Because if we have to avoid any and all historic anti-Semitic tropes that means you can't discuss the role of money, the media, Jewish identity, Zionism, or Palestinian suffering under occupation. All that's left to explain American support for right-wing Israeli policies ends up being "shared values" and fuck if they share my values...

Are you saying you need to be able to explain how the "Jews control banks and Hollywood" to explain why the State of Israel's policies are problematic? What the hell?!?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless she was saying that nobody except Israeli groups or Jewish groups pay off politicians in Washington, I don't think the economic antisemitism argument holds much water. It's not like money in politics is a new or rare concept. It was a foolish thing for someone in office to fire off on Twitter, but then again, it's Twitter. In 2019. With Donald Trump using it every day.

My frame of reference here is another common epithet that "Jews control the media", which IS antisemitic because it's alleging that that Jewish people alone have compromised an influential system to their total benefit. That's obviously wrong and inspires hate. What Omar and other Democrats have been saying is that the political system is compromised by many different entities. Making this an antisemitism issue is just serving to muddy the waters.

As for the retweet, undoing the retweet suggests it was a mistake, and the tweet itself agreed with her position until it didn't. It's hard to tell what the intention was, but it's not like she was retweeting some (((globalism))) moron. More foolish mistakes on Twitter by someone who should know better, but sure, I can concede that there's not enough information to give it the full benefit of the doubt.
Are you reading the actual article? The issue is "It's all about the Benjamins" is iffy because of the overlap with the stuff laid out below, and then she went and RTed a guy explicitly stating it was anti-semitic, making it look like she was making fun of him.
Foxman describes six facets of canards used by proponents of economic antisemitism:

All Jews are wealthy.
Jews are stingy and greedy.
Powerful Jews control the business world.
Judaism emphasizes profit and materialism.
Jews may cheat non-Jews.
Jews use their power to benefit "their own kind.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Factually incorrect. The Trump"s administration sactions of august 24th, 2017 had a huge effect in terms of oil production in Venezuela and it blocked the venezuelan government"s access to the earnings made by CITGO, a state business localized in Texas. You cant make Oil production drop 50% and then go "well i guess that its their fall for falling apart"

Maduro is a dictator and he sucks, btw. But I know too much about South America to let the US get away with sanctioning a leftist government again and then acting like any crisis is the country"s fault.
Most of the fault of the current situation in Venezuela is because of Chávez terrible policies and Maduro's stupidity. Also, both of them and the Chavistas are extremely corrupt.
Besides, oil output has decreased exponentially. Even if the sanctions were lifted, the situation would be the same.

But we should use the Venezuela thread to discuss this.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Good response. Wish dem leadership waited and put out a more coordinated response to go along with this that wasn't so antagonistic toward rep Omar.

Perfect response. She apologizes for the gaffe while highlighting the issues with more clarity.

Hopefully next time she pauses before hitting "send tweet"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
the only distracting is being done by folks forcing her to apologize for not being anti-semitic when she is not. this wouldn't be an issue if it were a Rep. Cathy. Dems played right into Alt-Right hands by saying, yeah she said anti-semitic things when in fact she didnt
You know, it's actually not up to me to dictate whether or not what she did was anti-Semitic. I'm not Jewish. But some (not all) Jewish people have weighed in and some determined that it was. And really, my only argument in this thread is that really should be the end of the discussion regarding Omar's tweeting habits. I suppose what it boils down to is if those people who were offended matter, and if it was worth it to apologize for their sake. Omar clearly made the determination that it was, and personally I'm grateful for that. Because you actually can take on the bipartisan effort to coddle the Israeli government and not be sloppy on Twitter.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you like it or not, perception matters. These new politicians are finding that out fast.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually near the same level of anger I was when Netanyahu's bitch ass came to Congress when Obama wasn't there and received a standing ovation while rebuking the President in his own goddamn country.

Fucking disgraceful and utterly pathetic. Wish I can say I was surprised by the Pelosi's response though.

I will literally never get over that bullshit. That is not how allies or partners behave.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Good response. Wish dem leadership waited and put out a more coordinated response to go along with this that wasn't so antagonistic toward rep Omar.

Pretty great response there. This doesn't have to be complicated, and her apology itself makes it clear that she can very easily wade into these waters and further her policy goals without messy stuff like the initial tweets. These are not mutually opposed in any way, nor should they be. Easy, and an apology like this really does lay out how easy this really is, or how easy all this should be at least.

But yeah, I'm happy with this myself and her response definitely seems to be good, I agree.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Correct. So many indulge these bad faith attacks again and again and wonder why people get disillusioned with them.

kaep should have been more careful with how he uses his limbs, he was sloppy

the reason people were hostile to his message was clearly because of his own failing, and not because an army of bad faith actors were chomping at the bit to pounce on a minority in the spotlight

i look forward to his apology

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the reason people were hostile to his message was clearly because of his own failing, and not because an army of bad faith actors were chomping at the bit to pounce on a minority in the spotlight

It's insulting to Kaep and his protest that y'all are comparing him to Omar's flippant meme tweet

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You know, it's actually not up to me to dictate whether or not what she did was anti-Semitic. I'm not Jewish. But some (not all) Jewish people have weighed in and some determined that it was. And really, my only argument in this thread is that really should be the end of the discussion regarding Omar's tweeting habits. I suppose what it boils down to is if those people who were offended matter, and if it was worth it to apologize for their sake. Omar clearly made the determination that it was, and personally I'm grateful for that. Because you actually can take on the bipartisan effort to coddle the Israeli government and not be sloppy on Twitter.

So if a Jewish right wing guy tells me criticism of Israel is antisemitism should I stay silent because of his faith or call him out on it and say no one is saying anything about faith or ethnicity? Most common sense folks know what the definition is

The fact is NOWHERE did she insinuate, imply or state that it was about Jewish people or their heritage. The quote she made was about foreign policy influence and AIPAC which is a right wing lobbying group. You know what all lobbying groups do ? They fund policies and campaigns through its coffers or through its members. Like Saudis like South Koreans.

We have come to a point that a politician can't even state the fact that aipac lobbies with funds congress members like all other lobbying group.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Good response from her, it was the good message to send. She addressed everybody. If people have been genuinely offended she'll do better next time to avoid it, also she's standing by her criticism.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We have come to a point that a politician can't even state the fact that aipac lobbies with funds congress members like all other lobbying group.

Omar literally did that in her apology tho? I know it's early, but nobody has said her apology is an anti-semitic dog-whistle... likely because it doesn't contain the language of such.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

A sustained effort to bring attention to an issue by doing something deliberate and thought-out.

A thoughtless tweet.

Ok.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can think of now is the recent Palestinian Peace March that ended in violence and met with silence by Pelosi.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not said this was in relation to the bad faith AIPAC/GOP stuff happening on a daily basis. I said it drew concern from people on the left who don't play that game.

Cut the trolling.

What are you talking about? You're fixated on some retweet that you, and apparently one other person, care about. Reposting it doesn't advance your argument.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
So if a Jewish right wing guy tells me criticism of Israel is antisemitism should I stay silent because of his faith or call him out on it and say no one is saying anything about faith or ethnicity?

No, probably not. But really that's not what's happening here. The problem here isn't that the right is attacking Omar. Fuck the right because this is what they always do, and why do people keep bringing them up because that's not what anybody's talking about.

If you say or do something problematic, and a Jewish person who usually aligns with you, regularly confers with you, comes to you and says "Hey sis, you're better than this. What you just said/did could be seen as offensive to some people and here's why..." Yeah, maybe you owe it to consider your actions, instead of dismissing everything as a right-wing or establishment plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.