• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
It's shocking how little of this conversation (whether it be on news sites or on Twitter) is actually about AIPAC's influence.

Yeah somebody's plan is working great.
of course the Jewish community should be listened to, but the unfortunate political and cultural reality of even liberal Zionism (coming from that background myself) is such that, for the foreseeable future, there will always be people who levy accusations of antisemitism in bad faith, and there will always be people who subjectively experience legitimate criticism of Israel as an attack on their identities as Jews. they can't be allowed to maintain total control of the debate

there is no way to have a full and open debate about Israel without also having a full and open debate about what criticism of Israel does and doesn't constitute antisemitism, because that's where a lot of the battle lines have been drawn
I agree.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are sources of criticism in this.

Republicans whose concerns should be utterly dismissed

Cowardly , and I hate myself for using this term, Establishment Democrats who should be met with disappointment

And Jewish Folk, especially specifically those on the left who have reached out to Omar and AOC, who should be listened to and respected.

Omar and now AOC are doing the 3rd, this is positive

all of this. I feel like this isn't all that hard to parse but for some reason there's an almost rabid attempt to silence that 3rd group as being illegitimate or even imaginary and it's super fucked up. and that's where this thread has been stuck essentially since she apologized.

people literally insinuating that AOC is lying

it's insane

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chelsea, you idiot.

What do you think was going to happen when the dogpiling went on and you were in part responsible?

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
all of this. I feel like this isn't all that hard to parse but for some reason there's an almost rabid attempt to silence that 3rd group as being illegitimate or even imaginary and it's super fucked up. and that's where this thread has been stuck essentially since she apologized.

people literally insinuating that AOC is lying

it's insane

I don't think anyone is saying that she's lying. She's threading the needle and politicin'.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lying and feeling social pressure to make a partially bad faith statement aren't the same thing
I don't think anyone is saying that she's lying. She's threading the needle and politicin'.

this post was made in response to this tweet by AOC insinuating that she might be lying about having private conversations with progressive Jews

Neither of us know what those conversations were like (or if they even happened) so not sure how to respond here?

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
there is no way to have a full and open debate about Israel without also having a full and open debate about what criticism of Israel does and doesn't constitute antisemitism, because that's where a lot of the battle lines have been drawn
and as we saw with clipjoint earlier, certain people will call you an antisemite or an apologist for antisemitism if you even attempt to have this conversation

very good dynamic for discourse

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people disappointed by AOC's response? It was pretty good. Rather than following the speaker by condemning and not raising the issue about AIPAC she did it very well.

Hell, it's Pelosi's job to mediate, not AOC, but it looks like, as it always seem to be recently, that AOC is the one constantly doing the right thing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna put it out there, Chikor should not have been banned for being the other side of the conversation. The one that made sense.
This:
I think the people who play prosecution Olympics are those that pretend that white Jews are an oppressed minority in the US.
Does not "Make sense", it's an absolutely awful statement that ignores the very real issues in the US w/ anti-semitism that have exploded in the wake of Trump alongside issues facing other minorities.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna put it out there, Chikor should not have been banned for being the other side of the conversation. The one that made sense.

I agree that they shouldn't have been banned for being the other side of the conversation, which they weren't thankfully

the post they were banned for though? it was absolutely disgusting and considering there's an actual growing body count of white American Jews, yeah nah, fuck outta here with that

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonistic and Dismissive Post in Response to Concerns of Antisemitism
This:

Does not "Make sense", it's an absolutely awful statement that ignores the very real issues in the US w/ anti-semitism that have exploded in the wake of Trump alongside issues facing other minorities.
I agree that they shouldn't have been banned for being the other side of the conversation, which they weren't thankfully

the post they were banned for though? it was absolutely disgusting and considering there's an actual growing body count of white American Jews, yeah nah, fuck outta here with that

Alright. I'm just going to take your word for it because I've been on that side so many times I really couldn't tell you how many times. I would have liked an explanation, and further discussion from him about that. You all are acting soft.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Hell, it's Pelosi's job to mediate, not AOC, but it looks like, as it always seem to be recently, that AOC is the one constantly doing the right thing.

I've probably deleted about 10 drafts of a post I was going to make pretty much telling Pelosi to go fuck herself and anyone else that agrees with that sham, fake ass ethics letter.
Shameful shit we've been witnessing these last couple days, but par for the course because this is just the status quo in action. Fighting the same enemy we've always been fighting: money, power, influence, and control.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people disappointed by AOC's response? It was pretty good. Rather than following the speaker by condemning and not raising the issue about AIPAC she did it very well.

Because they don't believe anyone could have possibly been upset in good faith.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. I'm just going to take your word for it because I've been on that side so many times I really couldn't tell you how many times. I would have liked an explanation, and further discussion from him about that. You all are acting soft.

take my word for what? that saying Jews are "pretending" to be persecuted in America is a garbage ass post? you think I'm soft for accurately assessing that as a garbage ass post?

seriously if you have to take someone else's word for why that was a garbage ass post maybe you should take a step back and self reflect because I'm at a loss

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has run its course. A new thread can be created if there's new news.

Status
Not open for further replies.