• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy how far they pushed the Xbox. If those screens in the OP were 16:9 it'd be easy to believe it was a 360 game.

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Conker is awesome and I still have my OG Xbox version, but the controls, god, nope, I will never replay it.
The rage gave me nightmares.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
What's wrong with the controls? I wonder how many realize that you could actually walk and aim at the same time in the N64 version? Lol

Well, at least in multiplayer, but it's probably the same for single player too.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Was battling through the rare replay version but quit because of the controls and blurry visuals. This is perfect! Im in!

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really happy that they made this BC and available digital as well, however I would have preferred a remaster. This game was/is so freaking gorgeous, we really need it in full widescreen.

and it still amuses me that this game was censored more than the N64 version.

Either way, super excited to pop in my disc and check it out with the enhancements!

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The N64 version was not censored by the way.
Only thing Nintendo vetoed was the Pikachu joke.
The f-word beeping was on purpose, other swear words are intact.
Read some interviews with Chris Seavor.
The game was also published by THQ, not Nintendo like all the other Rare games.

Also the N64 version is the only true version, for the uncensored great mighty poo alone.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I miss this franchise. One incredible game was all it got then....Dead and buried.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Also the N64 version is the only true version, for the uncensored great mighty poo alone.

I'm not sure if Nintendo would've allowed for the f-word to be left uncensored anyway. Could you imagine that? Lol!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't entire true. N64 developers had to jump through hoops to pass certification, and part of that was a laundry list of subject matter that wasn't allowed. Conker skirted a lot of stuff. Like, Nintendo's guidelines forbade animal cruelty. This mean that (it was either Duke Nukem or Daikatana) couldn't have a sign reading DOG BURGERS, and stuff like that. Nintendo wouldn't let them have a KKK lynching joke in Conker, for instance. (This was replaced by the pot and brush being dressed in black.)

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've always preferred this to the original, censoring and all. I couldn't believe how good it looked on the OG Xbox, am mega excited to see it in 4K.

Deleted member 23368

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
What exactly is censored in this version?

All the swearing is censored, which I think is bonkers, when Microsoft wanted the Xbox to be towards young adults/adults. Takes away the whole feeling and atmosphere of the game. It would be like if they would censor the violence/dread of a good horror movie or censor a standup comedian.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

giphy.gif

The original Xbox cover and format is totally fine and looks great.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to try this out, looking into my few XBOX games I have left, I still own Conker and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I also have a copy of Jet Set Radio Future, if only that game get's the backward compatibility treatment :(

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Even if I have just a mere X360, I'm glad I'll finally be able to play L&R. Too bad about the censorship, but I still have my N64 (and it's not like I've touched the original in more than 15 years anyway).

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
For me the censorship ruins the game, it is truly insane that it was uncut on a Nintendo platform and neutered by Microsoft.

It sure looks good though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so pet peeve. In the original N64 version, the opening shot is this:
conker_bfd-011z0u00.png

conker_bfd-013dguxn.png

Which is an overt reference to:

Complete with the tight zoom on Conker's face. One especially nice touch is how the milk in Conker's glass moves around as he drinks.
But the Xbox remake replaces the glass of milk with the goblet he drinks out of at Dracula's castle, and the opening shot is much wider. It's still a homage to Clockwork Orange mixed with Conan the Destroyer, but the overt similarity is gone, not least because he's no longer visibly drinking milk. He doesn't move at all. Literally none of the brooding emotion of the original is conveyed. He looks like a stuffed toy sitting on a throne. The entire plot revolves around milk. It's weird that such a major prop was switched.

I don't understand how/why they messed up that shot so badly. Similarly, they screwed up the shot where Conker begins to realise that he's part of a beach invasion. The door wheel thing spins round and round and Conker slowly turns his head sideways looking at it, increasingly concerned. In the Xbox version, the effect is ruined because they placed a squirrel standing in front of him. There's a level of polish to the cinematography in the N64 version that is missing from the Xbox version. Not that I'm knocking the Xbox version in general. It's fantastic for the most part. Also, in some shots of the Exorcist parody, the little girl has the wrong facial expression. There's a lot of little animation errors and incorrectly framed shots littered through the remake, Maybe it was a little bit rushed or something?

Which version did you play? The Xbox remake is dramatically easier. (Fun fact, the N64 original has hidden Easy Mode cheats. EASY and VERYEASY. Most people don't know about them.)

wow, that sucks.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Awesome!

Correction: The game was self published by Rare in the US and published by THQ elsewhere though thank you for reminding me that this wasn't published by Nintendo. I think that's a fact that many forget.

Also, the Great Mighty Poo song being censored is the only thing that bothers me about the censorship. It's a travesty that it's censored

I hope some day MS will release a full proper port for XboxOne with achievements etc like Vodoo Vince.

Yeah, I've been curious why they couldn't make achievements happen with OG Xbox games when Sony could make trophies happen with PS2 Classics

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel like I played a conker game on rare replay and really didn't like the controlls. Felt very nintendoy

Any chance that's fixed and I can use both thumb sticks ?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game still looks stunning. Sucks that other Rare games were not remade for the Xbox or moved over to the GameCube. Something like Perfect Dark was practically begging to be on more powerful hardware.