• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
CPC could win it if the Libs and NDP split a lot of ridings.
The new NDP leader is pretty likable.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
CPC could win it if the Libs and NDP split a lot of ridings.
The new NDP leader is pretty likable.

It's a valid point and the real risk for the "left" side in federal elections. Helped when the NDP didn't have a likeable leader. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple years leading into the election as well.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. I completely support the statement. Advocacy for science should be foundational in society, greater public understanding of science would have tremendous positive impacts.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at comments on cbc

"Trudeau's choice for GG is a one that should send shivers up the spine of canadians. The message is clear--> if you are a feminist or SJW, you get a free pass on any crime that you may have committed. He has sunken Canada to new lows."

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
At this rate. the CPC could become 3rd party by next election. Delicious.

Nah. Unfortunately their floor is around 85-90 seats, so we're stuck with them as the Official Opposition for the next several years...after which, realistically/sadly, they'll probably be government again, so hopefully after they dump Scheer and Bernier gets his shot (and fails spectacularly too), they'll finally see the need to stop being insane and go with a leader who can at least pretend to be relatively reasonable and moderate.

Lmfao at Scheer thinking this concern trolling will win him an election.

When you have nothing else to fall back on and your base will go along with everything you say, you'll say stuff like this.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So a creationist is a lock for the minister of science position again if the Cons take government?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, sorry, there's not as much of an appetite for that here as there is in the US. I do expect an increase in the right-wing version of virtue signalling (if not outright dog-whistling), but the audience for it isn't broad enough for things to become a completely alt-right shitshow, though I'm sure that it would go that way if it honestly won them points.
Dude. Rob Ford was like a beta version of Donald Trump.

Don't pretend it can't happen here, that's how it happens.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
CPC continues to be an absolute joke of a party. A directionless ship with a broken rudder sailing into irrelevance. Listening to political programming everyday at work it's plainly obvious their only platform is "Trudeau's gotta go!" and when asked why their empty responses amount to "because reasons!".

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer is clearly concern trolling. However, the Governor General should not have said what she said. I do not appreciate politicians bringing their religious beliefs into their public speeches. Whether it is American politicians constantly saying "god bless" or our Governor General saying what she said. Both violate the separation of church and state, imo.

I agree with everything else that she said, even though it's not that relevant in Canada.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer is clearly concern trolling. However, the Governor General should not have said what she said. I do not appreciate politicians bringing their religious beliefs into their public speeches. Whether it is American politicians constantly saying "god bless" or our Governor General saying what she said. Both violate the separation of church and state, imo.

I agree with everything else that she said, even though it's not that relevant in Canada.

Science and atheism aren't a religion. People can believe in fairy tales, but the reality is that evolution is real. If anything her saying this would be more of a credence to keeping religion and the government separated, even though that is not in our constitution.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao at Scheer thinking this concern trolling will win him an election.

With Jagmeet's popularity and socially left Canadians disillusioned with Trudeau, you migjt see that happen if Jagmeet secures the far left and punjabi/indo-canadian vote, coupled stragglers from Trudeau who knows. Trudeaus positions will be a lot centrist and right of Jagmeet on things.

The governor general shouldn't have said thst though. Her ceremonial position is entirely derived from the Monarch of Canada aka Queen of England aka Supreme Head of the Church of England. We naturally need to have a discussion on social policy and unity free of religious divisiveness but religious expression is a massive right.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Science and atheism aren't a religion. People can believe in fairy tales, but the reality is that evolution is real. If anything her saying this would be more of a credence to keeping religion and the government separated, even though that is not in our constitution.
This is the part that I take issue with:
"And we are still debating and still questioning whether life was a divine intervention or whether it was coming out of a natural process let alone, oh my goodness, a random process."
She stated her religious belief here when she talks about divine intervention. She cannot scientifically prove that life and the universe weren't created by a higher power (btw, I am not talking about evolution which is scientifically proven). She is free to believe that though, just like I am free to believe otherwise. What I take issue with is government officials taking a position, one or the other, while they are representing the country.

I have seen people argue about whether or not atheism is a belief or lack thereof and I do not want to go down that rabbit hole. I do not know if the Governor General is atheist or not. I only know what she believes based off of the quoted comment.

Maybe her comments were directed specifically towards evolution but it is hard for me to tell with the wording.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

She stated her religious belief here when she talks about divine intervention. She cannot scientifically prove that life and the universe weren't created by a higher power (btw, I am not talking about evolution which is scientifically proven). She is free to believe that though, just like I am free to believe otherwise. What I take issue with is government officials taking a position, one or the other, while they are representing the country.

I have seen people argue about whether or not atheism is a belief or lack thereof and I do not want to go down that rabbit hole. I do not know if the Governor General is atheist or not. I only know what she believes based off of the quoted comment.

Maybe her comments were directed specifically towards evolution but it is hard for me to tell with the wording.

I think you're right and Scheer might have a point if he was concerned at all over what the GG said, but instead he attacks the PM for the most vague of compliments. The line about them just redirecting to Trudeau when asked if the GG should apologize just speaks volumes.

Oct 27, 2017

This is why people are saying he was concern trolling. He wants to give the impression that she is taking a side and that nobody should express belief or lack thereof while holding public office. There is doubt as to whether he actually believes in a church and state like separation extending all the way to even atheism and he's just using this as a chance to attack liberals.

I see where he is coming from, but when it comes to policy--decisions should be influenced by evidence and observable facts. Expression of an atheistic position here is not nearly as cut and dry as scheer is trying to make it seem as he--like the rest of us are not privy to the personal beliefs of the Gov gen.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're right and Scheer might have a point if he was concerned at all over what the GG said, but instead he attacks the PM for the most vague of compliments. The line about them just redirecting to Trudeau when asked if the GG should apologize just speaks volumes.

This is why people are saying he was concern trolling. He wants to give the impression that she is taking a side and that nobody should express belief or lack thereof while holding public office. There is doubt as to whether he actually believes in a church and state like separation extending all the way to even atheism and he's just using this as a chance to attack liberals.

I see where he is coming from, but when it comes to policy--decisions should be influenced by evidence and observable facts. Expression of an atheistic position here is not nearly as cut and dry as scheer is trying to make it seem as he--like the rest of us are not privy to the personal beliefs of the Gov gen.
I posted that I know he's concern trolling on the last page. I already know that Scheer is a clown who fakes outrage at everything.

What I find interesting, however, is the NDP's silence. This is the kind of red meat that Mulcair loved back when he was leader. I suppose Singh is (rightfully) worried about Quebec. Also, it wasn't even Trudeau's comments anyway so this can't really be used to prove that he's a secret Tory at heart. It wouldn't have stopped Mulcair though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Her comments do not violate separation of church and state like at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I posted that I know he's concern trolling on the last page. I already know that Scheer is a clown who fakes outrage at everything.

What I find interesting, however, is the NDP's silence. This is the kind of red meat that Mulcair loved back when he was leader. I suppose Singh is (rightfully) worried about Quebec. Also, it wasn't even Trudeau's comments anyway so this can't really be used to prove that he's a secret Tory at heart. It wouldn't have stopped Mulcair though.
Staying silent will probably not do him any favors either. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think all a lot of quebecois voters will need to do is look at him and they'll make up their minds. They're trying to create a very secular province and a man holding public office while wearing religious symbols shows up to convince them to vote for his party. It just wouldn't gel. Even if Singh did say anything, I would imagine scheer would fire back with "what are you talking about? you're a man of faith aren't you? why are you defending someone making fun of your beliefs and abusing their power as a public servant with a powerful platform...?!"

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it vote splitting. The parties are fundamentally different in every aspect.
They're close enough that I'd rather one or the other as opposed to the Cons. Neither one of those parties are as anti-science, anti-immigrants, pro religion, pro gutting the protective measures in place for our natural environment, as the conservatives.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
They're close enough that I'd rather one or the other as opposed to the Cons. Neither one of those parties are as anti-science, anti-immigrants, pro religion, pro gutting the protective measures in place for our natural environment, as the conservatives.

Economic issues are arguably the most important issues to most voters. Liberals voters would probably align more with the conservatives if it came down entirely to economics.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Economic issues are arguably the most important issues to most voters. Liberals voters would probably align more with the conservatives if it came down entirely to economics.
Social issues are also economic issues. I understand that Chretien era liberals were cuts happy, and did a number on social services and what not. But Trudeau pitched a more progressive platform than Mulcair did during the last election.

On top of that, outside of maybe Blue Grits, I want to believe that most Liberal voters aren't daft enough to vote Conservative out of some belief that they are truly fiscally responsible. They don't follow what they preach about fiscal conservatism, and it isn't worth allowing them to dismantle everything else.

Its been called "vote splitting" since the beginning of time, despite the fact that every person I know who votes NDP would never vote for the Liberals in a million years.

I would and I did. The CPC is a bigger threat to destroying what I believe Canada is and represents, than anything the Liberals could ever hope to do.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom

the lack of a belief in a god/creator it's not a religious belief or a theory. Science operates under the assumption that there isn't, until proven otherwise
e: well, that's been adressed multiple times already, carry on

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I would and I did. The CPC is a bigger threat to destroying what I believe Canada is and represents, than anything the Liberals could ever hope to do.

Gotta stick to your principles and some times that means voting for the other guy.

Or not voting at all, as most of my NDP voting friends decided was the best course of action.

I, too, voted for the Liberals. I don't think I will again next election.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
So the Conservative party continues to be anti-atheist. That is useful info for the 22% or so of the country Scheer just alienated.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Its been called "vote splitting" since the beginning of time, despite the fact that every person I know who votes NDP would never vote for the Liberals in a million years.
Anecdotes are anecdotes. I know plenty of NDP voters who'd vote Liberal if it were strategically sound, myself included.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I love the right wing tactic of concern trolling shit in the context X will hurt minorities and women.

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
With Jagmeet's popularity and socially left Canadians disillusioned with Trudeau, you migjt see that happen if Jagmeet secures the far left and punjabi/indo-canadian vote, coupled stragglers from Trudeau who knows. Trudeaus positions will be a lot centrist and right of Jagmeet on things.

Popularity, huh?

Slide5.png

Obviously it's early, and most polls today are meaningless from where the parties will be 2 years from now, but so far, the evidence we have shows that the NDP got a negative bump (a drop?) post-Jagmeet.

Staying silent will probably not do him any favors either. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think all a lot of quebecois voters will need to do is look at him and they'll make up their minds. They're trying to create a very secular province and a man holding public office while wearing religious symbols shows up to convince them to vote for his party. It just wouldn't gel. Even if Singh did say anything, I would imagine scheer would fire back with "what are you talking about? you're a man of faith aren't you? why are you defending someone making fun of your beliefs and abusing their power as a public servant with a powerful platform...?!"

There is no way Scheer could be this fiery and articulate. He wants to appeal to his social conservative base, but he doesn't want to do it in a way that's so explicit. I'm surprised he even waded in here, since a fight over creationism and climate change won't end well for him, but I guess when you have nothing else to use, you resort to this kind of nonsense.

I love the right wing tactic of concern trolling shit in the context X will hurt minorities and women.

Especially when two years ago they literally ran their campaign on "We're protecting old stock Canadians"! They weren't even trying to hide the fact they didn't think immigrants and refugees were legitimate, and now they're turning around and pretending they have the rights of minorities at heart.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with jagmeet, despite any good ideas he had, as likeable as he is to people, there are way way way too many people in the country that won't vote for him because he has a funny sounding name, he's brown and/or idiots confuse Sikhs with Muslims and still won't vote for that (which I'm itself is a whole nother problem). And while yes, the majority of those people are conservatives, believe it or not, there are people that are left wing progressives that think that way.

The world is racists. And he's not going to get a fair shake.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with jagmeet, despite any good ideas he had, as likeable as he is to people, there are way way way too many people in the country that won't vote for him because he has a funny sounding name, he's brown and/or idiots confuse Sikhs with Muslims and still won't vote for that (which I'm itself is a whole nother problem). And while yes, the majority of those people are conservatives, believe it or not, there are people that are left wing progressives that think that way.

The world is racists. And he's not going to get a fair shake.

I have faith. If Calgary can vote in Nenshi, then Singh may actually have a shot across the nation.