• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I will without a doubt buy that $200 PSVR Bundle if it shows up on Amazon. It doesn't include those Rod-Like controllers though. Are those essential at all for PSVR?

Depends on the game. I got mine second hand though, as many people were selling them for cheap from the PS3 era.

You don't need them for Moss or Astro Bot, the games in the bundle, or for RE7 for example, which is the best experience imo.

Nov 18, 2017
It will never be obsolete, I can almost guarentee backwards compatibility.

Buy the bundle.

Sell the games when your done, hell even the camera if your completely done with VR and the headset would only cost 80

Unless this guy works for Sony & this is an official statement please don't take this terrible advice.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
There is no chance a new PSVR is coming next year at least if you're talking about a PSVR2. That will be held for the next console at this point. For $199 I really think it's a must buy. You're also getting 2 of the best games on the platform currently in Moss and Astro Bot. Really can't go wrong there.

I would actually argue at $199, this is the best time/pricepoint to buy in. This time next year, I believe we'll know a lot more about PS5 and at THAT point, the question 'is PSVR worth buying now?' will have more weight behind it.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I would say we're 3-4 years out from PSVR2. I see them doing midgen launch alongside PS5 Pro(same year)

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Shit that makes the headset only $80 when factoring the games' pricing then, right?

Ok now I'm tempted if true...

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Got it ty. I thought I saw headsets being sold without cameras before for some reason.

They have sold headsets without cameras before. That's what I bought at launch since I had picked up a camera and move controllers on sale ahead of time. Now a days they seem to just focus on bundles with the camera packed in, probably to avoid confusion.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I love my PSVR, definitely worth it at that price. If you get the Move controllers, they kinda suck and I really, really, reeeeeeaaaallllllyyyy want a proper motion controller set for PS5. Astrobot is awesome and Tetris Effect is beautiful.

OP
OP
Lockheartilly9799
Nov 23, 2017
I really want it but I'm just taking the temperature of the room so to speak. Getting one this year with a new one out next year would be regretful for me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I really want it but I'm just taking the temperature of the room so to speak. Getting one this year with a new one out next year would be regretful for me.

There will not be a PSVR 2 for a good while. There is no way they're launching it with the PS5, and that doesn't even have a release date yet.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
$199 for that Astrobot/Moss bundle is an incredible deal. Move controllers can be had for $80 new online, and if you wanted Skyrim, Doom or Superhot people sell their bundles piecemeal on Ebay. Plus you would be surprised how many PSVR games you already have, between PSVR-ready titles and PS+.

DO IT!

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Very good time for a PSVR purchase :)

2018 had some great games with Astro Bot, Wipeout, Moss, The Persistence, Firewall, Creed.

Tomorrow Tetris Effect, in 12 days Beat Saber and next month Borderlands 2.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That would blow my mind to see a new PSVR launch with a new Playstation. Never heard of that strategy before, but it would be super ballsy.

Why? PSVR Would be 4 years old at that point.

It would be ballsy as fuck for Sony to keep using the same model at that point for a new PS5...especially when all other high end PC and mobile VR hardware would be wireless or have just a single cable for Virtualink.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I like mine....know that it will spend a lot of time collecting dust, but every dust off game Ive bought has been absolutely worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
That $199 Astro Bot + Moss bundle is enticing. I've been sitting on titles I've been wanting to purchase for a while (Star Trek Bridge Crew, Resident Evil VII, Doom VFR, ZOE Mars, and some others). My question is, do y'all feel confident that PSVR2 is coming next year? I don't want to get it PSVR this year but have it be completely obsolete in less than a year.
Everything we've heard from industry folk (including jschreier who has been asking devs) points to PS5 coming out in 2020 at the earliest, and the PSVR2 likely wouldn't come out until a year or two after that as well. So you'll be fine, and I'll be someone ready to play some VR multiplayer with ya! (also, hi!!!)

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Why? PSVR Would be 4 years old at that point.

It would be ballsy as fuck for Sony to keep using the same model at that point for a new PS5...especially when all other high end PC and mobile VR hardware would be wireless or have just a single cable for Virtualink.

Sony is still using the Move controllers, that's ballsy and is a testament to how they think. They're not concerned with the being on the cutting edge.

PSVR was outdated on launch day compared to Vive/Oculus, but its still outselling them by miles. Games are what keeps it selling and the main reason you have threads like this. People are attracted to its offerings despite all the tech that keeps surpassing it. Keep in mind, PSVR is outdated, but VR tech is still new to most people.

Also, I've just never heard of releasing a $400-500 console alongside a $400+ accessory for one. It was a mid-gen product and PSVR2 will be the same(at least a year or two after release.)

What will happen is we will get massively improved controllers with a trackpad first and the PSVR1 will work with PS5 with the benefit of supersampled visuals like Wipeout, but way more with the PS5's horsepower.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any indication that a new version of the VR is coming? I too was thinking of jumping in but if one IS on the horizon, then I'd rather wait.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
PSVR was outdated on launch day compared to Vive/Oculus, but its still outselling them by miles. Games are what keeps it selling and the main reason you have threads like this. People are attracted to its offerings despite all the tech that keeps surpassing it. Keep in mind, PSVR is outdated, but VR tech is still new to most people.

Also, I've just never heard of releasing a $400-500 console alongside a $400+ accessory for one. It was a mid-gen product and PSVR2 will be the same(at least a year or two after release.)

What will happen is we will get massively improved controllers with a trackpad first and the PSVR1 will work with PS5.

Those 'massively improved controllers' won't solve the tracking issues. And you cant go inside out tracking without a new headset.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is PSVR made me feel like I was playing Super Mario 64 for the first time ever when I was kid, in a ToysRUs. It might not be the most powerful and versatile HMD on the market, but goddam it's amazingly fun to play, and capable of delivering crazy fun gaming. It's completely reinvigorated my love for videogames in a whole new perspective.
I wonder: why no one is recommending ZoE 2nd Runner mars here?

I bought it recently and am having a blast playing it (for the first time ever) in vr.
ZoE2VR is stupid. Such a well made game originally, with the added bonus of VR combat. In no time I was boosting around and slammming dudes into the environment like it was second nature. I stopped playing it on favor of Skyrim, but I need to get back to it. My only complaint is that the VS mode is NOT done in VR. Otherwise it's a stellar package.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Is there any indication that a new version of the VR is coming?

Not a new PSVR.

Why?

Take a long look at the controllers we're using for PSVR, they're from the PS3. Sony isn't worried about updating when they're moving units and especially, games. They're creeping closer and closer to the holy grail of accessories(The $100 hotcake seller)

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like mine....know that it will spend a lot of time collecting dust, but every dust off game Ive bought has been absolutely worth it.
Same here. I play it maybe once or twice a month, but every time I do I have a blast. It's also a hit with every guest I've gotten to try it, and has been a fun thing to do with friends.

I was kinda underwhelmed at first, but as I tried more games and got used to VR I've grown to really like it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I actually bought one yesterday , it came with the headset + camera with no games for 208$ ( that's the best deal I could find here ) . I already bought RE7 but now I'm wondering if it's necessary I buy a set of move controllers ?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually bought one yesterday , it came with the headset + camera with no games for 208$ ( that's the best deal I could find here ) . I already bought RE7 but now I'm wondering if it's necessary I buy a set of move controllers ?
Without controllers that track your hands in 3d space you will be playing a limited version of VR

OP
OP
Lockheartilly9799
Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, I might definitely consider it more if Sony is committed to the VR platform for years to come. I'm ok with getting a new headset in 2021 or later after I get this one. I'm just trying to figure out if I can get some decent time out of this one.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
You wont need PSVR2 just yet, We need more power in the console first which we'll get with PS5.

You need the moves, But cheap enough... Sony will more than likely announce new motion controllers before PS5. Also the deals now are insane value with PSVR. I bought mine day 1, Paid £350 alone for the headset, Then factoring in the camera, Moves, Games etc it was well near £600

RE7 alone made that purchase justifiable.

Nov 30, 2017
You'll still have plenty of time with it. I'm about to buy Astro Bot for my daughter as she loves those bots and the PSVR.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

I wouldn't count on there being a new VR set until the PS5 is a year or two in. Even still, I imagine this version of PSVR will be compatible with the PS5 and VR games will get visual enhancements to clean up the IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.