• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
This right here, some people can drink the Sony Koolaid and I got many people who responded to my original post. Fact is, it is not a premium product, it is a novelty.

My job as a sales consultant is to give the customer the knowledge and tools on a product. If Sony releases a product that is not up to customer expectations (which is the case) Then the blame falls on Sony.

I am not some anti Sony gremlin looking to shit all over Sony products. The X750 TV is awesome for gaming. If there is value ill push the product. If not and it gets returned thst hurts my margins and numbers like I said it is business.

This post is gold. Gold Jerry.

RZetko

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found PSVR OT or something similar so I'm posting this here.

Anyone here uses PSVR on PC? I was thinking about going for it with all the Black Friday deals and I'd like to also use it on PC. I know there are hacky ways to get it running using trinusvr but how stable is it? It's it stable with more complex initial setup or will I be tearing my hair out and swearing every 5 seconds because it'll lose sync etc.?

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Any glasses wearers willing to report their experience? Have heard it's totally fine to its a blurry light leak mess and unusable..
Been wearing glasses 25 years or so. PSVR works great. Never had to think about it or consider it, they fit with plenty of room as long as you don't have giant novelty glasses.

Love the VR hate. Sony makes an affordable headset that transports you into a game world and it works better than it has any right to, but fuck you it's not a premium experience like the $800 setup.

Got my set a year ago for $200 and I love it. VR isn't an everyday thing for me but it's amazing. I was visibly shook getting the Arkham VR trophies because I had to go back to the Killer Croc scenario. I was scared to play through that, let alone Resident Evil VII. Gonna have a heart attack with this thing.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
You might be better picking up the Skyrim VR bundle for $250 since it comes with the Move controllers and but the other two separately, might save you a few bucks since the Moves are like $100 for a pair normally.

I can check out a pair of Move from my university department for the whole winter, so that is not my concern.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Sorry haven't been keeping up with this thread but after Tetris Effect, I need to buy a PSVR. So is Amazon doing the same deal as Best Buy?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly considering it for Tetris Effect. Honestly one of the most ethereal games I've ever played. It's just something that instills wonder and a child-like feeling in me, and that's without VR. I remember playing Tetris on Gameboy as a kid, and even on a fucking TI-83 in HS, but this game is so addictive, the soundtrack is amazing, and honestly, the only thing keeping it from being perfect, is lack of VS mode.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered the Creed/Superhot bundle. I also want Astrobot and Moss, but those move controllers sorta seal the deal. Plus, I see Astrobot on sale at Gamestop for 20, just waiting for that deal to spread. Moss I'm hoping also gets a sale. I'm excited for Superhot VR, and the Creed thing could be fun, VR boxing sounds like it could kill a few hours. Anyone think I went with the right bundle?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Have they fixed any of the motion sickness stuff?
No. I'm also still not convinced you can "fix" this on an existing piece of hardware.

They did try various stuff in various 3D games, like immensely decreasing the field of view when moving (helping fuck all if you ask me) or doing step-by-step turns and other stuff, and this might help on a game by game basis, but hardware-wise there are no changes to anything regarding this issue and the games that would get you sick one or two years ago still will.

People will tell you to "get your VR legs" which can be laughable if you're actually affected by serious VR motion sickness, having trouble getting through mere minutes of a 3d moving game. This problem is one of those things that's being completely shoved to the side and ignored, 'cause the affected players just aren't the ones being vocal and the unaffected or slightly affected crowd tells them to just stop crying about it, basically. If you're getting sick easily from VR, I'd probably wait for the next incarnation of it or at least check out the system somewhere else if you can before dropping hundreds for it.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I don't know which bundle to get. I really want Moss and Astrobot (also Tetris and Rez), but I also want the move controllers for Superhot but I'm not sure if there are any other games I really care about that use the move controllers.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry haven't been keeping up with this thread but after Tetris Effect, I need to buy a PSVR. So is Amazon doing the same deal as Best Buy?

I think so. Every store should have the $100 off VR and the base set is 299

I ordered the Creed/Superhot bundle. I also want Astrobot and Moss, but those move controllers sorta seal the deal. Plus, I see Astrobot on sale at Gamestop for 20, just waiting for that deal to spread. Moss I'm hoping also gets a sale. I'm excited for Superhot VR, and the Creed thing could be fun, VR boxing sounds like it could kill a few hours. Anyone think I went with the right bundle?

I debated all week myself and went the other way, but you can't beat that deal on the move controllers. That's basically the choice, the move controllers or the games. It's the right decision based on your preference

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Up on Amazon.

Already got Superhot on Vive to Moss/Astro Bot for me.

Also most of the game I want doesn't require move controller

Last edited:

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just played PSVR yesterday with my buddies. Was a year since we last tried it and it's still an amazing tech. So amazing that one of my buddies has bought it now for 280€ without even having a Playstation lol

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the price is updated for GameStop in the us now too. Seeing if it's available for in store pickup tommorrow

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any glasses wearers willing to report their experience? Have heard it's totally fine to its a blurry light leak mess and unusable..

I found it very difficult to get on with, both in terms of setting up and having the lenses making contact with my glasses. I don't wear thick glasses by any means, and I may well have not set it up correctly, but I could never find the sweet spot when wearing the headset, so the image would never be in focus for me. I have astigmatism though so it may be related to that. It is a real shame as even playing for short periods, and dealing with the blurry image, I could see how amazing an experience it could be.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
No. I'm also still not convinced you can "fix" this on an existing piece of hardware.

They did try various stuff in various 3D games, like immensely decreasing the field of view when moving (helping fuck all if you ask me) or doing step-by-step turns and other stuff, and this might help on a game by game basis, but hardware-wise there are no changes to anything regarding this issue and the games that would get you sick one or two years ago still will.

People will tell you to "get your VR legs" which can be laughable if you're actually affected by serious VR motion sickness, having trouble getting through mere minutes of a 3d moving game. This problem is one of those things that's being completely shoved to the side and ignored, 'cause the affected players just aren't the ones being vocal and the unaffected or slightly affected crowd tells them to just stop crying about it, basically. If you're getting sick easily from VR, I'd probably wait for the next incarnation of it or at least check out the system somewhere else if you can before dropping hundreds for it.

Thanks, I thought it was weird that people stopped talking about it after launch. But I'm definitely not gonna risk it since I get motion sick just by sitting in the back seat of a car.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I found it very difficult to get on with, both in terms of setting up and having the lenses making contact with my glasses. I don't wear thick glasses by any means, and I may well have not set it up correctly, but I could never find the sweet spot when wearing the headset, so the image would never be in focus for me. I have astigmatism though so it may be related to that. It is a real shame as even playing for short periods, and dealing with the blurry image, I could see how amazing an experience it could be.
I have read that there's a setting on the PS4 where you can adjust the distance between the eyes, and that has helped? I also have an astigmatism, and I'd assume that's corrected by the glasses so shouldn't effect the PSVR, but im not doctor.

these stories do make me wish there was a demo i could use, similar to what they did in the USA(i think?)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I have read that there's a setting on the PS4 where you can adjust the distance between the eyes, and that has helped? I also have an astigmatism, and I'd assume that's corrected by the glasses so shouldn't effect the PSVR, but im not doctor.

these stories do make me wish there was a demo i could use, similar to what they did in the USA(i think?)

There is an option for adjusting the distance between the pupils. I use glasses and have astigmatism on both eyes, but have had no issues with my setup.

Thanks, I thought it was weird that people stopped talking about it after launch. But I'm definitely not gonna risk it since I get motion sick just by sitting in the back seat of a car.

While I agree with a previous poster that serious motion sickness can be a very real issue for some players, it should be noted that (as far as I've gathered) VR motion sickness is not analogous to "normal" motion sickness. I've had friends that easily get motion sick who had no issues trying out the PSVR. Meanwhile, I never get motion sick, but actually did get sick from playing some of the PSVR games on release. I did get used to it fairly quickly, though. Nowadays I can play for hours without feeling anything at all.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Caved and grabbed the Astrobot bundle on Newegg since it's tax free for me still there. All the hype about the VR Mario Killer made me weak.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
While I agree with a previous poster that serious motion sickness can be a very real issue for some players, it should be noted that (as far as I've gathered) VR motion sickness is not analogous to "normal" motion sickness. I've had friends that easily get motion sick who had no issues trying out the PSVR. Meanwhile, I never get motion sick, but actually did get sick from playing some of the PSVR games on release. I did get used to it fairly quickly, though. Nowadays I can play for hours without feeling anything at all.
True! It may be that you're experiencing both, but they aren't the same type of motion sickness at all. I have no issue with sitting in cars whatsoever but VR movement gets me instantly, a friend of mine is exactly the opposite, getting sick immediately when reading while in a car.

The sensory issue when VRing is seeing your body move and turn while not doing that, while the car thing is the exact opposite, you're moving without actually seeing it.

Oct 26, 2017
VR does a ton of things that might induce nausea, but it's different from person to person. I couldn't play Windlands and quit playing Battlezone pretty quickly, but since then I've been mostly okay. Bound was also troublesome for me since it's not really a VR game and plays fast and loose with restrictions. I had to quit it when you ran through spirals.

Games where you stand in one place and things happen around you should be totally fine. It also helps to have something to track with Move controllers. Moving into the screen like Astro Bot is also fine. Rotating sideways is icky. Moving sideways is instant nausea for me, luckily few games do that.

Ideally, there should be some checklist where you can try things and report if they work for you, and then the console could filter games or warn you before purchase. I guess they don't want to focus on the fact that it might be a problem, but then again there's that huge disclaimer every time you start anyway.

It's still the most exciting current platform. I haven't played a AAA game in years. I'm only excited for PS5 because it might bring even better VR.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

It's very import not to fight against the motion sickness, I did that while playing the Driveclub VR demo because I thougt the dizzy feeling will go away.
And it ended badly...

But after a short time it becomes much better.

Beat Saber should be a very good game for VR beginners because you stand still.

And for first person games with movement, click turning is a good option against motion sickness.
Now luckily I don't need click turning anymore but I used it for Resi7 and it was nevertheless a fantastic experience.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
any lens scratches on the headset?

None, though I did purchase and fit some of those $10 3D printed ebay "psvr lens protectors" a GAF poster at the time was selling. They ensure a minimum of tiny gap between lens and glasses, and seemed like a good idea at the time.

edit: these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-L...sses-scratches-Playstation-PS-VR/263265607694

The "sweet spot" is up and down on your forehead - finding it shouldn't have any difference glasses or not. Unless - I hadn't thought of this before, but are you wearing varifocals?

Also, I endorse the "you can get VR legs". It's definitely a thing. You could probably train yourself out of motion sickness from travel in the back of a car so long as you had a very patient driver that let you stop travelling immediately for the day at the first feeling on unease. But usually as a child you are forced to endure, and well we see how that doesn't work in VR now too.

And yes, it's the opposite of normal motion sickness. The attitude of "welp, I get sick on a car so I won't even consider it" makes as much sense as "Very salty food makes me feel bad so I won't even consider trying that wedding cake!"

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Bought the headset with Astro Bot, can't wait for it to arrive.

I think my first game will be the Battlefront X-wing mission as it seems like a short and visually impressive way of getting to grips with the headset.

I'll probably mess around with VR Worlds next, any highlights in there?

Then Wipeout because it's been my favourite racing game since it launched on PS3 and the thought of playing it in VR is a dream come true and the main reason I got the headset.

Then Astro Bot, which I know nothing about, but know it's highly, highly acclaimed.

Also, are there any good multiplayer games which take advantage of the social screen? I remember that being shown off as a feature before launch but I don't know if it was ever taken further.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, just ordered the Superhot bundle.

So from what I've heard, the games that tend to induce motion sickness are more the ones that have the player moving throughout a 3D space, right? So something like RE7 or Skyrim would be more of a problem for people than Tetris, Polybius, Superhot, and games designed around teleporting, right?

Edit: Semi-related question regarding the Moves - How does it work for PS3 titles that supported it? I was thinking I might as well pick up House of the Dead at some point to make use of the dumb glowing orb wands.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, are there any good multiplayer games which take advantage of the social screen? I remember that being shown off as a feature before launch but I don't know if it was ever taken further.

The ones I can think of:

Playroom VR (predecessor to Astro Bot, amazing of course, and free!)
Dirt Rally (your in-game co-driver is silenced and a real life partner has to do a rhythm game of sorts to give you directions? not sure never played it)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (I think the bomb manual is on the TV while a player defuses the bomb in VR. Again not played it)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of motion sickness and building up one's VR legs, is Astro Bot a good introduction to someone as their first ever VR game?

It's a fairly gentle game. There is forward momentum when you move Astro into the screen, so you might feel slight nausea if you're really sensitive, but if that is the case, play a level at a time with long breaks in between and you should get used to the sensation after a few sessions.

And as mentioned above, if you feel you're starting to get sick, stop playing. Regular, short sessions works for building up your VR legs. Powering through certainly does not.

Nice, just ordered the Superhot bundle.

So from what I've heard, the games that tend to induce motion sickness are more the ones that have the player moving throughout a 3D space, right? So something like RE7 or Skyrim would be more of a problem for people than Tetris, Polybius, Superhot, and games designed around teleporting, right?

You have the right idea. Polybius has some rotation and forward movement, so that one might cause nausea if you're sensitive, though it should be fine for most.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of motion sickness and building up one's VR legs, is Astro Bot a good introduction to someone as their first ever VR game?

Astrobot isn't perfect but pretty good. There are moments where the camera moves a little abruptly, and also some on rails sections where the camera is moving regardless of your input. But super mild and you'll be engaged in the world so hopefully distracted.

Wipeout is surprisingly mild as an intro- despite what you might expect. Otherwise, games that are completely static - super hot, beat saber when it's out, statik (great game).

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's a fairly gentle game. There is forward momentum when you move Astro into the screen, so you might feel slight nausea if you're really sensetive, but if that is the case, play a level at a time with long breaks in between and you should get used to the sensation after a few sessions.

And as mentioned above, if you feel you're starting to get sick, stop playing. Regular, short sessions works for building up your VR legs. Powering through certainly does not.

Astrobot isn't perfect but pretty good. There are moments where the camera moves a little abruptly, and also some on rails sections where the camera is moving regardless of your input. But super mild and you'll be engaged in the world so hopefully distracted.

Wipeout is surprisingly mild as an intro- despite what you might expect. Otherwise, games that are completely static - super hot, beat saber when it's out, statik (great game).

Thanks guys. And Klaw just reminded me, I need to buy Statik right now while it's on sale.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found PSVR OT or something similar so I'm posting this here.

Anyone here uses PSVR on PC? I was thinking about going for it with all the Black Friday deals and I'd like to also use it on PC. I know there are hacky ways to get it running using trinusvr but how stable is it? It's it stable with more complex initial setup or will I be tearing my hair out and swearing every 5 seconds because it'll lose sync etc.?

Why go through this? Get an Odyssey Plus for 299 and it'll be miles ahead on the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.