• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a pad player all my life but I've always been curious about playing with an arcade stick. The few times I've used one in an arcade it feels weird as hell and I can't pull anything off, but I get that they take some time to get used to. I also understand that they won't magically make me better at fighters, but I think it might be fun to learn how to use one. I was wondering what people thought about sticks in general and what are some good ones. I'm thinking of getting the Razer Panthera. Not sure if Evo version or the regular. I was also considering the Hori Fighting Edge or the Hori rap n but I don't like the sound of the hayabusa stick and buttons. From what I understand they feel more loose? And they're pretty loud. Significantly louder than sanwa. Not really looking to spend over $200.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with the EVO panthera if you're looking at a razer stick. I have the previous version and the cord has crapped out and there's no way to get a replacement. Anecdotally, I know several people who have had this problem with that stick.

Hayabusa are loose, but not more than a Sanwa. I think lots of people (including me) just feel they feel better if you put a tighter/heavier spring in there. The buttons aren't any louder than sanwa.

Fighting Edge is my favorite stick ever, but you can get the HRAP N for 120 right now on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Ar...+soul+calibur&qid=1565592984&s=gateway&sr=8-1).

If you don't like the hayabusa stick, you could replace it and still come out way cheaper than if you bought a panthera evo or fighting edge.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Just pick one within your price range that has quality parts. So yeah, the Razer Panthera sounds like a good fit.

Also stick with square gate for awhile. Some newbies switch to octagonal gate right away, which isn't a bad thing if it's what you prefer, but I think square gate also helps with learning to be cleaner with inputs + if you want to learn a charge character in the future or borrow someone's stick (which are generally square) it can be easier to transition.

It took me about a month personally to switch from pad to stick completely. At first there were things that were way easier but also way harder with a stick until I got some stuff in muscle memory on both left/right sides.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I had the chance to get the TE+ for 70$ and it's a very good stick if you don't care about stick design aerodynamics. Like it's seriously good for an absurdly low price

It took me 6 months to adapt to a pad. Dealing with the frustration of having your abysmal skill going ecen further down because you have to adjust to sticks is a hard pill to swallow. If you're good at pad, then stick doesn't have much to offer unless you want to invest in arcade games

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I use a Hori RAP.N.

Feel of the stick is nice (to me), love the button placement and greatly prefer the matte finish on the buttons over the regular glossy kind.

The buttons are extremely sensitive though. Just a very, very slight press of one will register as an input.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a Razer Atrox for the 360 on my PC, XB1, and PS4 for years now (I use converter dongles). It works really well for my needs. I'd say Razer's products are a great balance of cost to quality.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I've been stuck on the Qanba Obsidian. It's wonderful.

But like... Always on the lookout for a new fucking MadCatz SFxT V.S. Edition stick. Nothing has matched that 10 pound behemoth and that connector gimmick was honestly great. I know the Dragon is even heavier and essentially better in every way, but the external cable wrap on it will never not bother me. It's like a vacuum cleaner.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been stuck on the Qanba Obsidian. It's wonderful.

But like... Always on the lookout for a new fucking MadCatz SFxT V.S. Edition stick. Nothing has matched that 10 pound behemoth and that connector gimmick was honestly great. I know the Dragon is even heavier and essentially better in every way, but the external cable wrap on it will never not bother me. It's like a vacuum cleaner.

Definitely the best thing Madcatz has produced.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Right? 160 dollars for that weight and build quality was unbelievable. When my only one took a nasty spill on a table and cracked the casing I was so devastated. Not enough to spend the $500 a single Amazon seller has it up for right now, but I've come close more times than I'd like to admit.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? 160 dollars for that weight and build quality was unbelievable. When my only one took a nasty spill on a table and cracked the casing I was so devastated. Not enough to spend the $500 a single Amazon seller has it up for right now, but I've come close more times than I'd like to admit.

Dang, 500 bucks now?

I have still have two. One modded by Toodles, one stock.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of the Hori Fighting Edge and HRAP Pro N because of the layout which spaces the stick further away from the buttons. Most other sticks ape the Vewlix layout and it's a bit cramped for my liking. The Fighting Edge is my preference of the two there due to the nice brushed aluminum top. It looks and feels nice.

As for Hori's Hayabusa parts, they're fine. I don't have a preference between them or Sanwa, the buttons are definitely louder, but the stick isn't looser, it's just a little lighter in moving around and actuation.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I use a HRAP V Hayabusa, and quite like it. I've played with the Pro N, but I'm not sure I'd like the base shape as much as the Pro V. That said, it's personal taste.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Madcatz TE2+, and i love it.

728658048679_l.jpg

81w6o_m_icl._ac_sl1500_.jpg

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
As long as you don't go for those sub $100 cheapo budget fight sticks, most of your choices should be good since they're more than likely to have decent parts and weight to them. They're a direct case of you get what you pay for.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I grew up in arcades (the 70s), so it wasn't foreign to me when I got one, but it had been decades and I'm just a casual player. I got one of these when SFIV came out:
129958.jpg

I think we paid maybe, like, $60 for it at the time. I can't really remember, but it was pretty cheap. Obviously, it's a fighting stick that matches my casual play, but if you're not looking to spend a lot and aren't sure if you'll stick with it, something along these lines might be a good starter.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mad Catz sticks are great. I have the Namco TE S that was part of the Tekken Hybrid Collector's Edition and it's amazing. I also have the Soul Edition (Soul Calibur V) that I've customized a bit and it is also amazing.

I also think the big SFxT sticks that could be joined together would be awesome to have.

For an easy starter stick, the Qanba Drone shows up around $50 all the time and I've heard it's pretty alright for not breaking the bank.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly for me my grail is my Madcatz Evo stick and my Chun TE which honestly needs to be really cleaned.

The Madcatz stick era was a fucking time.

For the OP, can't go wrong with the HRAP everyone is recommending. Despite my love for the Madcatz TE, my go to for PS3 play always ended up being my HRAP.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest, how do people think would a brand new, sealed, Xbox SFIV TE go for?

Oct 26, 2017
Out of all the arcade sticks available right now, the Qanba Obsidian outperforms all of them, in my opinion. I've owned the Hori HRAPs, the Panthera, and more, and the Obsidian is the standout.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I have a HRAP 4 Kai I'm very happy with, though I did swap the stock buttons with Sanwas. You can usually find the stick for $130 or $140 and the buttons cost about $20. I had no issues with the stock stick, but swapping it with a Sanwa would be pretty easy and you can get Sanwa sticks for another $20.

I've heard good things about the Panthera but I'm always a bit wary when it comes to Razer due to their previous history with bad reliability/build quality. I'd personally rather stick with Hori or Qanba, both of which are super reliable.

An acquaintance got a Victrix Pro FS and told me it's a great stick that probably isn't worth $349 considering you can get similar sticks for a lot less.

In the past I've thought that if I were to ever splurge on a super fancy premium stick it would probably be a Qanba Dragon.

Last edited:

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
The Hori loudness you are talking about is probably referring to the RAP4's previous iterations that still were made with Kuro button, which were just as sensitive as the Hayabusas, but didn't have the same matte finish and had a springier sound.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the most important aspect of a fight stick is how your hands and fingers feel. Any of the top sticks are fully customizable so layout and feel matters to me more.

I was going back and forth between the TE-2 and TES+ and settled on the TES+ simply because of how my hands felt on it.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hori loudness you are talking about is probably referring to the RAP4's previous iterations that still were made with Kuro button, which were just as sensitive as the Hayabusas, but didn't have the same matte finish and had a springier sound.

Yeah, the Kuros were just...terrible. Awful, awful buttons.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with the EVO panthera if you're looking at a razer stick. I have the previous version and the cord has crapped out and there's no way to get a replacement. Anecdotally, I know several people who have had this problem with that stick.

Hayabusa are loose, but not more than a Sanwa. I think lots of people (including me) just feel they feel better if you put a tighter/heavier spring in there. The buttons aren't any louder than sanwa.

Fighting Edge is my favorite stick ever, but you can get the HRAP N for 120 right now on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Ar...+soul+calibur&qid=1565592984&s=gateway&sr=8-1).

If you don't like the hayabusa stick, you could replace it and still come out way cheaper than if you bought a panthera evo or fighting edge.

I decided to order this, thanks. I was really close to buying the Panthera Evo because the GameStop at the mall happened to have it, but I couldn't beat this price. I'll just buy new parts if anything. It seems pretty cheap. It should be here tomorrow.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I got the qanba obsidian about a month ago as my first ever stick and I'm liking it a lot.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
After a few hours I've come to the conclusion that whoever invented the DP motion is a fucking asshole. I can never do it consistently, especially as part of a combo. I'm using Blazblue CF to practice and so far I've got air dashing and launchers down and did all of Ragna's normal challenges. It's just these fucking DPs. Also are my wrists supposed to be hurting?

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Madcatz TE2+, and i love it.

728658048679_l.jpg

81w6o_m_icl._ac_sl1500_.jpg
Personally hated this stick. It creaks due to how flimsy the covering is, and you can feel the cover bending under small amounts of weight... it doesn't feel solid at all.

Also, the earlier versions didn't even have touch pad support, which was quite awful given many games, Street Fighter included, use it to reset position in training.

The PS3/360 MadCatz stick was much better build and quite frankly great. I still have the Street Fighter IV one and the Blazblue Limited one.

I have a Qanba Obsidian now for PS4/PC, and it's an awesome stick. Same parts, but a far more solid construction.

After a few hours I've come to the conclusion that whoever invented the DP motion is a fucking asshole. I can never do it consistently, especially as part of a combo. I'm using Blazblue CF to practice and so far I've got air dashing and launchers down and did all of Ragna's normal challenges. It's just these fucking DPs. Also are my wrists supposed to be hurting?
I found dragon punch on stick to be incredibly easy compared to pad. Tap forward, let the stick return to center, then down, and push to the lower corner of the square gate, don't go to full fireball motion. It's just two quick forward taps while pushing the stick down before the second one. If you can get your character to run, you can DP.

How are you holding the stick? Try wineglass as it gives you a ton of control if you're not.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried the shortcut, F, QCF, P?

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I found dragon punch on stick to be incredibly easy compared to pad. Tap forward, let the stick return to center, then down, and push to the lower corner of the square gate, don't go to full fireball motion. It's just two quick forward taps while pushing the stick down before the second one. If you can get your character to run, you can DP.

How are you holding the stick? Try wineglass as it gives you a ton of control if you're not.

I always underestimate the amount of space and the shape of the gate so I think I end up not completing the motion. I tried wine glass but I found it uncomfortable to QCF motions when I was on the right side in that position. I just use some kind of C shape with my middle, index, and thumb while my pinky and rink mostly rest on the surface. Now I'm trying micro dashes in BBTAG and this shit is a nightmare. This game in particular plays a bit better with a controller.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always underestimate the amount of space and the shape of the gate so I think I end up not completing the motion. I tried wine glass but I found it uncomfortable to QCF motions when I was on the right side in that position. I just use some kind of C shape with my middle, index, and thumb while my pinky and rink mostly rest on the surface. Now I'm trying micro dashes in BBTAG and this shit is a nightmare. This game in particular plays a bit better with a controller.
The BB games in general are great on pad. Stick really isn't necessary, but if you want to get used to it, the game is definitely good for it.

The only other thing I can think of is just to pay attention to the clicks. You don't have to go to the gate, just far enough to register the click. You can make the motions much smaller that way.

You'll get it I'm sure.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Personally hated this stick. It creaks due to how flimsy the covering is, and you can feel the cover bending under small amounts of weight... it doesn't feel solid at all.

Also, the earlier versions didn't even have touch pad support, which was quite awful given many games, Street Fighter included, use it to reset position in training.

The PS3/360 MadCatz stick was much better build and quite frankly great. I still have the Street Fighter IV one and the Blazblue Limited one.

I have a Qanba Obsidian now for PS4/PC, and it's an awesome stick. Same parts, but a far more solid construction.

I'm quite violent with the stick and it has taken all the punishment i've ever thrown at it and never been anything else other than rock solid.

Maybe you got a bad one?

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite violent with the stick and it has taken all the punishment i've ever thrown at it and never been anything else other than rock solid.

Maybe you got a bad one?
it's certainly possible. I had the first version. The Ultra Street Fighter IV one before touch pad support. It's also possible they revised it in other ways when they added the touch pad, making it sturdier as well. Was very disappointed with that stick.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Back in 2012 I bought a SE madcatz brawl stick. The one with WWE sticker which was a good entry-point stick. After reading forums and realizing myself the stick itself out of the box sucked hard but was very good for mods, I went at this store in downtown NYC which had original sanwa parts and bought all the parts for an extra ~$50. Modding it was fairly easy even for a newbie like me and the stick felt much better and responsive with the new parts. HOWEVER one thing i did not take in consideration was the base itself. It's a small base not like the much more expensive TE madcatz or Hori ones which have a wider base aka they won't budge when you go wild. But mine would move from time to time and it was a bummer because it made me lose so many ranked games back in SF4 era. I had to go back to pad because i couldn't afford to buy a $200-ish stick. So keep this in mind OP.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Back in 2012 I bought a SE madcatz brawl stick. The one with WWE sticker which was a good entry-point stick. After reading forums and realizing myself the stick itself out of the box sucked hard but was very good for mods, I went at this store in downtown NYC which had original sanwa parts and bought all the parts for an extra ~$50. Modding it was fairly easy even for a newbie like me and the stick felt much better and responsive with the new parts. HOWEVER one thing i did not take in consideration was the base itself. It's a small base not like the much more expensive TE madcatz or Hori ones which have a wider base aka they won't budge when you go wild. But mine would move from time to time and it was a bummer because it made me lose so many ranked games back in SF4 era. I had to go back to pad because i couldn't afford to buy a $200-ish stick. So keep this in mind OP.

Do you mean it kept moving on your lap? Because the one I got does that and it's pretty annoying. I have to readjust it every now and then. It has little rubbers on the corners but that's more for setting it on a table. I'm practicing how not to go too crazy on the stick.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Do you mean it kept moving on your lap? Because the one I got does that and it's pretty annoying. I have to readjust it every now and then. It has little rubbers on the corners but that's more for setting it on a table. I'm practicing how not to go too crazy on the stick.

Yes that's what I meant. it would move at the most crucial moments and make me lose control of the whole situations and lose rounds - points in ranked. I was top 10 vega player in SF4 PC community back in the days and losing points or FT5/10 challenges because of that would give me toxicity, you can imagine. Many times i would have to switch to pad in the middle of a challenge because I couldn't take losing just because of my stick's instability. It's really tough trying to manage not going crazy on the stick lol, good luck OP.