• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think it matters?

• The awards aren't chosen by Geoff, it should be allowed for DS to be nominated

Votes: 1,599 70.1%
  • Even if they're chosen by other people, it's not a good look and it shouldn't be nominated due to it

Votes: 681 29.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Should he not promote Mountain Dew and Doritos because someone might think hes only showing Call of Duty stuff because he's had them as promotors before?
Yes.
Should he not invite people he considers friends in the industry to the event, like having is girlfriend read nominations a few years ago, because the audience might think he's playing favorites?
Yes.
Should the Oscars(which are fixed by studios and people like Weinstein fyi) just not have a host because they might have worked with a nominee? Or theyre part of the actors union?
I'm not sure why you're bringing the Oscars into this since I didn't say anything about them?

Jan 3, 2019
The Game Awards sponsored by Monster Energy
unknown.png

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Even without the cameo it's a pretty big conflict of interest and not a super good look.

But on the other hand, it's The Game Awards. It's a big commercial anyway.

Right? I thought something like 70% of viewers are there more for announcements than for awards.
Most awards shows kinda stink otherwise.

Rather
9903b7e5bbf016a3daef4ba9705d6f97.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The truth of the matter is that he should've never have done the cameo in the first place. Now we're in an awkward scenario where it being nominated looks awkward optics-wise even if he doesn't actually participate/have influence over the voting, but at the same time the game doesn't deserve to be removed either.

Ultimately, I say keep it, what's done is done, but I get why it makes people feel a little weird. But whatever, we're all really there for the announcements anyways.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Geoff has no say in the voting, and as a result, it's not a bad look in any way whether his best friend puts him in his game or not. It is that simple.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
The Game Awards is just a show for entertainment. The worst that the nomination process can result in is boredom.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
The truth of the matter is that he should've never have done the cameo in the first place. Now we're in an awkward scenario where it being nominated looks awkward optics-wise even if he doesn't actually participate/have influence over the voting, but at the same time the game doesn't deserve to be removed either.

Ultimately, I say keep it, what's done is done, but I get why it makes people feel a little weird. But whatever, we're all really there for the announcements anyways.

It's not like Geoff exclusively works on TGA. Kojima isn't his only friend in the industry. People are just making a bigger deal out of this because they don't like DS.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
People taking The Game Awards seriously need to be put away from the internet for a while. It is just a big commercial and celebration of games and their creators, it was never and never will be the "Oscars" of gaming, watch the DICE or GDC Awards for that.

I see nothing wrong on what's happening here, and if Geoff wants to give all the trophies to Kojima and have a live sex celebration in the middle of the stage, so be it. It's his show, funded with a lot of his own money, we just get to see some cool shit in it for free. Geoff is cool in my book.

Last edited:

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
The quality of the game is why it's being nominated.

These cameos have zero bearing on the game's quality and nothing would be lost if they were removed.

Which makes the point of this thread silly.

Agree to disagree.

I think is good people question the validity of the awards for a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think Death Stranding being a GOTY has anything to do with Geoff, but I think it should be at the very minimum disclosed he was in it as a cameo. He is a producer of the show after all.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree.

I think is good people question the validity of the awards for a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think Death Stranding being a GOTY has anything to do with Geoff, but I think it should be at the very minimum disclosed he was in it as a cameo. He is a producer of the show after all.

Disclosed?

Since when is it a secret?

It has been a well known fact long before the game was released.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What...?

How is that any different than the gigantic amount of commercials they do in the own event about the games nominated?

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly dont care. If Keighley didnt chose the nominees, and the public is chosing, its 100% a nothing burger.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Yes.

Yes.

I'm not sure why you're bringing the Oscars into this since I didn't say anything about them?
The Oscars are the movie equivelent to what Keighley is attempting to build, despite them being rigged with money and parties to give specific people the awards, people think its legit.

What happens if Smash wins GOTY? Is it just an industry connected game winning because it has Kojima, Square and Microsoft owned properties in it? Should Keighley step down because hes friends with Kojima, who created a character in Smash? He's also buddies with Phil Spencer, should Smash not win because Phil's company owns Banjo?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
What happens if Smash wins GOTY? Is it just an industry connected game winning because it has Kojima, Square and Microsoft owned properties in it? Should Keighley step down because hes friends with Kojima, who created a character in Smash? He's also buddies with Phil Spencer, should Smash not win because Phil's company owns Banjo?
Yeah, if we are talking conflict of interest here, in that case, Keighley shouldn't be allowed to make the show AT ALL. But he's the producer and main investor on it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So basically because Geoff is in charge of The Game Awards he is not allowed to be friends with any developers in the industry otherwise there would be a conflict of interest despite him having no say in the nominees and voting?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I wish there was a third option.

I agree it's not a good look, but that doesn't directly mean it should or shouldn't be nominated. It's just not a good look because the association is there.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Disclosed?

Since when is it a secret?

It has been a well known fact long before the game was released.

We all know that game reviewers receive codes from publishers to review games and they still disclose that fact. Also, would you say 100% of the people that watch the TGAs know Geoff is in the game? I wouldn't.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Yeah, if we are talking conflict of interest here, in that case, Keighley shouldn't be allowed to make the show AT ALL. But he's the producer and main investor on it.
So Microsoft shouldn't have any games they have on their platform nominated if its on Mixer this year?

Sony shouldn't be able to have nominations if they use Sony cameras to produce the show?

If Nintendo pays to have a trailer shown at a specific time during the show, is it a conflict of interest if one of their games wins an award? The Award show would take money directly for the ad/trailer

Where does conflict of interest end?

What if Keighley just wanted to be in a friend's game after he was finally freed from Konami? What happens if Keighley shows off Valve's new games after years of having a relationship? Will that upset your conflict of interest?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has been nominated on merit. If you've played it, you already know this.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all know that game reviewers receive codes from publishers to review games and they still disclose that fact. Also, would you say 100% of the people that watch the TGAs know Geoff is in the game? I wouldn't.

They wouldn't care. At all.

People on here are seriously losing it when it comes to Death Stranding and Kojima.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I hope it does win GOTY, I wouldn't be shocked if Death Stranding doesn't win GOTY and just pics up awards for other categories.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft shouldn't have any games they have on their platform nominated if its on Mixer this year?

Sony shouldn't be able to have nominations if they use Sony cameras to produce the show?

If Nintendo pays to have a trailer shown at a specific time during the show, is it a conflict of interest if one of their games wins an award? The Award show would take money directly for the ad/trailer

What if Keighley just wanted to be in a friend's game after he was finally freed from Konami? What happens if Keighley shows off Valve's new games after years of having a relationship? Will that upset your conflict of interest?

Look at the advisory board. No game should be on the awards because every game is related to those on the advisory board.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017

As a said in my first point, I as a person have no issue with any of this, just pointing out what maybe people would say about this whole "conflict of interest", and that's exactly what I'm saying is, if there's so much "conflict" the show shouldn't exist. But I'm glad and happy it does.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that would critically undermine the credibility of the prestigious Video Game awards. could a presenter even look Kojima in the eye when he handed him a Gamey?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The show is already a joke even relative to other awards shows which are universally regarded as miserable wastes of time.

It's a bad look but it's no more embarrassing than any number of moments and incidents these shows have had over the years and I doubt Geoff cares at all or he'd be doing a different show.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
It should be nominated, with a remark that the host is in the game. Godammit Era, you made me defend the Game Awards...
(Kojima is in the game too for all that care.)

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Doesn't bother me personally because full transparency, I watch the show for reveals and see what is talked about.

I'm glad for everyone nominated and feel great for the winners but I don't really care about the awards...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
lmao! Bu bu bu bu someone irrelevant and unimportant might not like the optics!

Fuck the actual merits of the game tho, I guess.

Some of y'all are a trip seeing only what you want to see.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Here is who votes for this crap btw: https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

"Nominations for The Game Awards are selecting by a voting jury of 80 leading media and influencer outlets across the globe."
One of them is Famitsu. Who will they vote for I wonder... The fucking Oscars have more integrity.

What's going to be your excuse when DS is inevitably nominated and wins from a bunch of different publications?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is who votes for this crap btw: https://thegameawards.com/voting-jury

"Nominations for The Game Awards are selecting by a voting jury of 80 leading media and influencer outlets across the globe."
One of them is Famitsu. Who will they vote for I wonder... The fucking Oscars have more integrity.

At least TGA have trailers and reveals, I haven't watched the Oscars in a decade but I always tune into TGA.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It would be a great deal healthier for discourse if people stopped caring about arbitrary commercial awards and arbitrary numerical review scores to begin with, but that's obviously a fantasy.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
They wouldn't care. At all.

People on here are seriously losing it when it comes to Death Stranding and Kojima.

I 100% agree with you that most people wouldn't care. It's still no reason to not disclose something.

Edit: Thanks to the user above, I remember that I was using the wrong word. Is not disclosure what I meant, is a disclaimer. Sorry.

lmao! Bu bu bu bu someone irrelevant and unimportant might not like the optics!

Fuck the actual merits of the game tho, I guess.

Some of y'all are a trip seeing only what you want to see.
What does the revelancy or the status of someone have anything to do with the topic?

Nobody is talking about the quality of the game. It's about a possible conflict or interests (or lack thereof).

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Before I even saw the nominees I knew there would be conflict of interest problems and it seems that's exactly what happened. Not even Geoff, just the reverence Kojima gets from all of the major executives involved.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I hope Geoff has a small cameo in TLOU II, Cyberpunk 2077 and BotW 2.

Let's see if people will want those games to be disqualified from getting noms.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Not Famitsu, not Bild (Jesus Christ), not Kinda Funny, etc --R. That list is worse than I ever expected. The Oscars are still a mess even after the reform but the idea behind The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and how they vote is a good one. It also leads to fascinating post-mortems:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/topic/brutally-honest-oscar-voter-ballot

The Suicide Squad ceremony is the one I stayed up for, it literally happens during the middle of the night over here, as I could feel it in my bones that it would win Betty. A night without sleep well spent! Seeing the internet meltdown live was glorious. I like the film btw. It´s pretty comic accurate. Even in the current state (Ayer borderline disowned the film in 2019). 8/10 for the Extended Cut.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Clearly it's a huge conflict of interest but the rewards are a joke anyway.

I hope Geoff has a small cameo in TLOU II, Cyberpunk 2077 and BotW 2.

Let's see if people will want those games to be disqualified from getting noms.

I think most people who care even give the tiniest shit about ethics would think the same here?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I 100% agree with you that most people wouldn't care. It's still no reason to not disclose something.

Edit: Thanks to the user above, I remember that I was using the wrong word. Is not disclosure what I meant, is a disclaimer. Sorry.

What does the revelancy or the status of someone have anything to do with the topic?

Nobody is talking about the quality of the game. It's about a possible conflict or interests (or lack thereof).

My point is that the people saying it shouldn't be considered because of a tiny inconsequential facial capture from GK, amongst all the other inconsequential (and might I add optional to engage with in-game) facial captures in the game are bypassing the fact that the game actually being a contender is because people enjoyed the game on its own merits. If someone can prove it was nominated because Geoffs face is in it then I concede.

Status
Not open for further replies.